2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

7w as 3h Replacement

phillyspecial

For years I have played 3w/3h/4h/5i-PW setup.  It long bothered me that my 3h/4h felt like duplicate clubs.  

I went for a fitting this winter and was fit into a new 4h and 7w as the 3h replacement.  

Ive done a lot of TM testing since, and Im still duplicating the 4h but now it just carries longer but rolls less with very similar totals.  I get the chs and ball speed progression I expect from the 4h to 7w, but the 4h spins 3500 and the 7w 4000+.  Perfect strikes I might get 5-8 yds more total out of the 7w, but avg diffs are 2-5 yds.  Carry about 5-7 yds more in the 7w.  I need the 4h the be a 215-220 club for me (check) but with my 3w as a 240-250 club, the 7w is just not giving me the 230ish club I need.  Feels more like a 4h replacement for specific courses.  

5w seems like obvious answer to test next , but curious if Im missing anything from others who struggled w this.  I absolutely love hitting the 7w thats the problem.  Have tried turning down the loft but not making enough impact to make the difference Im looking for.  

I've kicked the tires on 7 woods a couple times over the years.  There is no setup that I've tried that prevents it from being a total rain maker for me, which ultimately ends up costing me distance and creating a redundant club.  Just seems destined to be one of those things that looks really great on paper but not in practice.  5 wood checked all my boxes (even though I do tend to hit that pretty high too, at least it fills the right gap).

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

7 wood is a high spin high launch club.4000 IS low spin for a 7 in my mind anyway.Gapping is hard.Thats reality and why some bag less options...

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Agree with the other couple posts.  I had one last year.  Biggest issue is I could not control the height.  Great on calm days, any wind, the 3h went back in the bag

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

Used to have the same issues with 7W, but just kept experimenting until I found the right shaft.  Currently going back and forth between Fuji EVO 757 and Ventus Blue TR.  I think the TR is going to win out, it's been keeping the ball flight where I want it, not too high and spinny.  

I don't use 7W much from FW, where it works best is when I need 200+ out of the rough where the 7W cuts through and launches a bit better than a hybrid.  

• Like 2

I replaced my TM 7 wood with a 22 degree 4H. Distance is the same, the 4H is better off the deck. Based on my experience with that, and the 19 degree 3H that replaced my 5W, I wouldn't say that 3H and 7W are equivalent, but of course it will vary depending on the specific clubs in question.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I’m in the same exact predicament and what I did was drop my 23 degree hybrid. Used it very sparingly and like you said I can probably use my 18 degree hybrid to get the same yardages with choking down and putting 3/4 swing. Leaves me with 13 clubs and a lot more options with how I set up my wedges 

Edited by llewol007
  • Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

In theory for use old timers (those who played pre hybrids) a 3 wood was a 1 iron replacement, 5 wood a 2 iron, 7 wood 3iron and 9 wood 4 iron replacement. 

Hybrids are supposed to replace iron equivalent though the lofts and launch are weird where most hybrids go further especially for non high speed players.

For me I play a 5 wood lofted down to 16* then a 20* hybrid (3) then a 23* hybrid (4) followed by 5 iron, with good gapping around 12-15 yards carry between them.

Others have varying results. If you have less gapping at that end of your bag you may benefit from a 7 wood, you may want to loft it up or get a 5 wood and loft it down ( depending if you fight a hook or a slice), as this can help with your gaps. You ideally don't want big differences in your peak height of your clubs.

I looked at some 7 woods but I couldn't find one that flew as good as my 3 hybrid, hence why I still have 15 year old clubs in my bag.

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

I would put a different shaft in the 7w to lower the flight a touch. I am playing 7w, 3HL and I will never go back. 4i I hit about 205 and 7w jumps to 230~ my course is pretty guarded from wind and to hit a ball 230 and have it come down so steep it just sits is incredible. Nothing wrong w/ 4H, 7W, 5w either. Even add a 3w if you have space. Shoot DJ has 5 headcovers in the bag some rounds. Gotta play what the number say. 

• Like 1

I play no hybrids, I like fairway woods and irons. I go driver, a 3HL/4 wood/5 wood (depends on the course — with adjustability you can get those close on distance), a 7 wood (much more reliable carry than a hybrid) and a Srixon ZX4 4 iron, which flies lower than the 7 wood and is my 195 carry club.

The iron is simply easier to hit accurately vs a hybrid. It blows away a hybrid in my book. Same shaft in the 4 iron as my other 5-P irons and that is another key for me. The ZX4 is far more appealing to me than the Srixon utility irons. The 4 iron and 7 wood works well together, gives me nice shot versatility. 

The secret to the 7 wood is a lower launch, stout shaft. It has enough loft and doesn’t need the help. I have an RIP Red Eyes Phenom 85 with 2.8 torque in mine and it gets the distance I want. It definitely goes longer than a hybrid of the same loft. If you hit a 7 wood too high or add loft at impact it loses a lot of distance. Flight it down a bit and it’s a weapon that still stops. Not that hard to do. Get a stout shaft and move it back a ball or two in your stance. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Seems like everyone wants to buy the newest OEM iterations, but some of the older 19* 5 woods with 85g and up shafts cut short, can work wonders for keeping the ball down. 

I used to have issues keeping the ball down with 3 and 5 woods. In the past, I’ve carried Driver to 18* hybrid, a 2 iron then Driver to 16* hybrid 20* hybrid to irons until I applied the same principles in the Howard DIY driver tune up. Once I found the right weight and length, I no longer had a problem with keeping the ball down as needed. 

My back up set has a 16* and a 19*  Adams Tight Lies (2013). I play the 19* at 41.5” with an 85g shaft. I can flight it down or up pretty well, and the tight lies is meant to go up. 

My gamer set I have an 18* Tour edge EXS pro with a 41.5” playing length at D3. and it’s very easy to flight and shape due to its length and weight 

A playing partner of mine a couple of years ago was still playing his TM V-Steel 7 wood with a steel shaft in his 3i spot, then went 4-PW, GW, SW. 

• Like 1

High-lofted fairway and 3H/4H overlaps will vary depending on the models involved.

For several years I played the Tour Edge Exotics XRail 4W and 7W, plus had a Cobra FlyZ 3H and 4H. With this mix, my distance overlap came with 7W and 3H.

How it played out: carried 7W in summer as it launched higher and just flat blew the ball out of medium rough. Had trouble getting 3H out of warm-weather rough.

The lower-launching 3H replaced the 7W from November through March, when the winds were higher and the rough much thinner. With my current WITB, the 3H is gone and 7W stays in year round.

Finding the right yardstick at the long end can be challenging. In your case, a 3W + 5W is worth trying.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

In typical WRX fashion, after reading article-after-article post of “the 7 wood has changed my life!”, and seeing them more and more in some tour witb : I ended up putting together my own experiment

I found found an Epic speed 7W on the “clearance rack” of a local golf store, and reshafted it with an old Oban Kiyoshi purple 85x I had in my shop. I ended up having to tip and butt cut the shaft, to make it play to a more standard length and SW

After putting it thru the paces, I determined that I did like it…. It’s a fun club to hit …. But : there’s no room in the final 14 for it, on most rounds. The flight was high, as was the spin, as others have noted … which is good. Consistently saw carry numbers in the 220-230 range, and everything sat right down. However, for me in that “gap”, I found it wasn’t super versatile beyond that. I also find my 3h to be more accurate, and have more confidence in it to produce the shot I’m hoping to execute. Some of that could be from just being more familiar/comfortable with it

Regardless - I’m keeping the 7W and it will find its way into the bag for some days. If it’s not windy, or I’m playing a course that fits it’s abilities : it’ll get a go. Otherwise, I’m going to stick with the 3h this year. It just checks more boxes to me

Try a Callaway Heavenwood. Seven wood loft, three wood shaft. Easy to launch but has a more penetrating flight. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

The amount of people who hit 4h and 7w the same distance is throwing me through a loop lol

TM Qi10 (9*) | Kai’li White 60 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

PXG 0317 X (18*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (3-4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

Recently began gaming a 7 wood instead of my 19 degree Hybrid.  The 7 wood was built to my specs with a Ventus Red (real deal) +1/2 long.  All I can say is I am blown away by how well the 7 wood is performing for me off the deck and even off the tee on tight par 4s.  Can't elevate an 3 wood off the deck to save my life but can get anywhere from 200-225 with the 7 wood no problem.  I'm sold

• Like 1

I just did this.  Too early to tell, but it’s working so far.  My 3H was too spotty and unreliable, but I do want to make time to practice more with it.  

Driver:  Ping 425Max (Aldila Synergy)

3W&5W:  Mizuno ST-Z (Aldila Synergy)

7W Taylor Made Stealth (Aldila Ascent)

4H:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (Accra FX)

5-GW:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (SteelFiber i110)

52* Edel SMS C-Grind (Paderson Wedge Flex)

56*W Cleveland CBX (SteelFiber i110CW)

Bettinardi QB10

On 3/29/2022 at 6:23 PM, ShortGolfer said:

I think in terms of ball flight rather than distance.  My first swing with my 7W was out of a fairway bunker.  I needed both height to clear the lip as well as distance to reach the green.

There are times when you want the ball to roll and other times where you want it to fly high and stop quickly.

My error here I think (well really my fitter who put me into it when I had 0 intention of a 7w) is simply expecting this club to fill a gap.   I want the gaps filled first, and this is a really fun specialty club to have on the side (the goomah).  I lifted a used  sim 5w off the bay this week with my preferred shaft (ventus blue 6-s vcore) to see how that works.  I still think 3h and 4h is overkill, so sticking with the 4H which gives me really consistent yardage and flight (pxg gen4).  Will see how the 5w does.  

This thread is not making me feel better about recent decisions.   I just picked up a 3h hoping to do the thing, that most of you are saying it won't do.   I'm hoping it fills a gap in 230 range.   Hopefully the weather turns soon and I can get some better numbers on the two.  

TM Sim 2 Max 9*

TM M1 3w

Ping Crossover 2 iron

Mizuno CLK 19* 

Callaway X-forged UT 21

Nike VR Pro Combo 5-9 iron

Vokey 46, 52, 58

Scotty Cameron x12

I had both a Ping G425 7 wood and 4 hybrid in the bag last year and found the same thing you did: They go basically the same distance. I could squeeze a *little* more out of the 7 wood, but not enough, and the 7 wood was causing problems on windy days. The 4 hybrid is my get-out-of-jail-free card — one I’m confident in from the rough, from a fairway bunker, from the tee, or pretty much any scenario. So it stayed and the 7 wood had to go.

I found two options work pretty well for my gapping between driver and 5 iron:

1. 4 wood, 4 hybrid, 4 iron

2. 3 wood, 5 wood, 4 hybrid

Edited by eric61

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

16 minutes ago, Tommyboi95 said:

So for my higher spin guys, what shafts are y’all playing in the 7 wood? I’m assuming Ventus black and tr 9x/tx? 

any other suggestions that wouldn’t break the bank just on this experiment?

If you order from titleist the Tensei AV Raw White 2.0  85TX is a no up charge option.  I ordered mine ripped 1.5”, keeps the flight flatter for me. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 10 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Fuji 9.2TS X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

30 minutes ago, SC-TX 88 said:

If you order from titleist the Tensei AV Raw White 2.0  85TX is a no up charge option.  I ordered mine ripped 1.5”, keeps the flight flatter for me. 

Just looked on TM you can get the rdx black 80x that weighs in at 90 and can tip it an inch 

that might be worth looking into

• 1 year later...