2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Webb Simpson 5.5 iron (+ generally non-standard iron gapping)

mryank

4 minutes ago, mryank said:

Took a page out of Webb Simpson's bag, and took out my 6i.  Weakened the longer irons, strengthened the shorter irons.  Loft gaps: 19/23/27/31/35/39/43.  Found that this gave me the target 15yd gaps between irons, instead of the usual 11-12yd gaps, and gave me more room to beef up the top and bottom end of the bag.

Anyone else have experience widening loft gaps between irons?  Any concerns/problems with it?

um, 4* gaps are pretty common. Club numbers are only ID purpose, not standard

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

For longer irons, my set was 3* gaps.  For certain OEMs, it gets to 2* gaps (e.g. from 2i to 3i).  Only seen a couple sets that do 4* across the board for long and short irons, but most don't.  There's a reason why Webb Simpson took out an iron.

Mavrik Sub Zero

SIM2 Ti

680 2i-PW

Miura 58*

Vokey 65*

Toulon Latrobe

Pro V1x

38 minutes ago, mryank said:

Took a page out of Webb Simpson's bag, and took out my 6i.  Weakened the longer irons, strengthened the shorter irons.  Loft gaps: 19/23/27/31/35/39/43.  Found that this gave me the target 15yd gaps between irons, instead of the usual 11-12yd gaps, and gave me more room to beef up the top and bottom end of the bag.

Anyone else have experience widening loft gaps between irons?  Any concerns/problems with it?

I have a short set of clubs (only 10) that have a 6° gap between from hybrid all the way to the sand wedge. I like it a lot.

D - 10.5°

5w - 18°

3h - 20°

5i - 26°

6i - 32°

8i - 38°

9i - 44°

gw - 50°

sw - 56°

p

Edited by azgreg
  • Like 3

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

2 hours ago, mryank said:

image.png.94c32550e5810fcb62b558b9af33307b.pngCirca 2000, Dave Pelz came up with the wider gap idea as a way to squeeze two more wedges into the bag. His plan for average amateur: drop 2i and 6i and bend remaining clubs to get 15-yard gaps.

----------------------------------------

A couple of personal experiences. In early 2000s, many golfers were adding fourth wedge to their bag - GW was filling gap between SW and PW in stronger-lofted irons.

Which club to drop? Many kept 3W and 5W (pre-hybrid!). Next, bend 3i one degree weak, bend 5i one degree strong, and drop 4i. (Distance stretch at long no big deal).

Stock |Adjusted

loft    | loft

3i   21*......22*

4i   24*..... XX

5i   27*.....26*

6i   30*.....30* (kept same)

======================

Fast-forward 2016 to PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando, FL.

Ben Hogan Golf had been resurrected for a little over a year, and were offering irons with 1 degree loft increments from 20* to 46*. (Wedges picked up from there).

You could pick the loft mix you wanted (no traditional iron numbers on first wave of irons).

I hit some Hogan irons, and talked to the reps. Came up with this lofting plan:

Driver, 3W, 5W, 3H

___

24*  Hogan irons (squeeze out club by moving to 5-degree lofts in longer irons)

29*

34*

38*

42*

46*  Hogan wedges

54*

58*

Outcome: Due to financial constraints, I kept my old irons.

Edited by ChipNRun
Re-set image.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

1 hour ago, ChipNRun said:

image.png.94c32550e5810fcb62b558b9af33307b.pngCirca 2000, Dave Pelz came up with the wider gap idea as a way to squeeze two more wedges into the bag. His plan for average amateur: drop 2i and 6i and bend remaining clubs to get 15-yard gaps.

----------------------------------------

A couple of personal experiences. In early 2000s, many golfers were adding fourth wedge to their bag - GW was filling gap between SW and PW in stronger-lofted irons.

Which club to drop? Many kept 3W and 5W (pre-hybrid!). Next, bend 3i one degree weak, bend 5i one degree strong, and drop 4i. (Distance stretch at long no big deal).

Stock |Adjusted

loft    | loft

3i   21*......22*

4i   24*..... XX

5i   27*.....26*

6i   30*.....30* (kept same)

======================

Fast-forward 2016 to PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando, FL.

Ben Hogan Golf had been resurrected for a little over a year, and were offering irons with 1 degree loft increments from 20* to 46*. (Wedges picked up from there).

You could pick the loft mix you wanted (no traditional iron numbers on first wave of irons).

I hit some Hogan irons, and talked to the reps. Came up with this lofting plan:

Driver, 3W, 5W, 3H

___

24*  Hogan irons (squeeze out club by moving to 5-degree lofts in longer irons)

29*

34*

38*

42*

46*  Hogan wedges

54*

58*

Outcome: Due to financial constraints, I kept my old irons.

5* gaps makes sense for a lot of players in the "longer" irons.  I'm surprised more players that get detailed with equipment haven't tried it

• Like 2

I increased the gaps between all my clubs by going to a 3/4 inch difference in shaft lengths rather than the standard 1/2 inch.

• Like 3

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

45 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

5* gaps makes sense for a lot of players in the "longer" irons.  I'm surprised more players that get detailed with equipment haven't tried it

I'm sure others have done it before, but I know this was something I noticed distinctly with Mickelson's recent bags.  After his 30* 6i, he carries a 25* and a 20* iron.  Occasionally he'll carry a 16* iron as well.

From a pure Strokes Gained standpoint, the 3.00 Strokes-to-go yardage is ~170.  Basically anything beyond that, you're realistically trying to get the ball on the green.  15 yard gaps achieve that objective, and 10-11 yard gaps in the long-irons seems essentially overkill.

Always wondered why more people didn't build club lengths/lofts to get to 15 yard gaps, no matter what lengths/lofts might be (+ obviously no matter what number is on the sole of the club).

(For the record: absolutely love the 1* club offering that Hogan had back in the day.  Probably a hassle manufacturing-wise, but it starts to be a pain in the a** managing differential head weights to get to desired lengths/lofts... Often, the heads just too heavy...)

Edited by mryank
  • Like 2

Mavrik Sub Zero

SIM2 Ti

680 2i-PW

Miura 58*

Vokey 65*

Toulon Latrobe

Pro V1x

I’ve thought about something like this with my Mizuno Pro 223s, which go 22 degree 4 iron, 25 degree 5 iron, 28 degree 6 iron, and then 4 degrees from there.

I could bend the 5 iron one strong to 24, swap the 4 iron out for a 20 utility, and would probably have better gapping. Another option I’ve thought about: 4 hybrid, 24 degree utility iron (maybe X Forged UT or Srixon ZX bent one weak), then 28 degree 6 iron and so on.

One thing I loved about my previous set (and that has me peaking at them in the closet from time to time…), the Mizuno JPX 921 SEL, is that there are 4 degree gaps throughout. The gapping worked really well. They didn’t have the forgiveness of my 223s in the 6 and 7 irons, though, so, nothing’s perfect I guess.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

1 hour ago, mryank said:

I'm sure others have done it before, but I know this was something I noticed distinctly with Mickelson's recent bags.  After his 30* 6i, he carries a 25* and a 20* iron.  Occasionally he'll carry a 16* iron as well.

Where were Phil's loft specs posted?  I haven't seen them and would like to

After much tinkering, I think I have pretty much the lofts I need to achieve an average 15 yard gaps between my irons and wedges.

Loft  AVG Distance
21 205
24 190
27 175
31 160
35 145
40 130
46 115
52 100
58 85

I'm now fine tuning the top part of the bag below the driver with the SIM Ti 3/5 FW's and either a Cally SH or UW (or none).

10 - 16.5 - 21 (fw) - 22(hyb) - 26 (hyb) - 27 - 31 - 36 - 41 - 46 - 51 - 56 - 58 - 4

Still tinkering with the slots between 7w and 6i but the gaps between 6i and SW are set.  There are 4 deg between 6i and 7i but one is a ZX5 and the other ZX7 so they have slightly different launch/spin characteristics.  The 5 degree gaps between the 7i and SW yield good gaps and I’m very comfortable hitting partial shots in that club length/loft range.

I could easily move to three wedges at something like 46-52-58 but don’t need another club at top end and the bounce difference in my SW/LW gives me some options — 56K-12 (Japan model I wish they’d release in the US…) and 58K-06.

• Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

I have no experience in doing this but I recently heard (maybe from Marty Jertson) that 10% of PW length is a good gapping amount.  MGS recently had an article stating 10-15 yards.  I do 15 yards between wedges and 10 yards between irons.  I understand the point if you really want to add a club at the bottom or top of your bag.  For me personally, I don't need another wedge and the top of my bag is good enough for my short course, so I'd rather keep the small gapping between the irons.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

16 hours ago, mryank said:

For longer irons, my set was 3* gaps.  For certain OEMs, it gets to 2* gaps (e.g. from 2i to 3i).  Only seen a couple sets that do 4* across the board for long and short irons, but most don't.  There's a reason why Webb Simpson took out an iron.

I've gotta imagine when they go down to 2* gaps or so, the intent is not that a player would carry the 2, 3, 4, and 5, for example. I think they expect somebody carrying that 3-iron to skip the 4 and/or weaken the 3 a degree, or if they carry the 2 they certainly wouldn't also have the 3-iron. Either way, I agree with what you're saying looking for consistent gaps instead of everything bunching up at the top.

I did something similar a few years ago, I got a set of 716 AP2's. I have an issue that I don't like using the Vokey S grind from the fairway but like using it for chipping and bunker shots. The M grind is great from the fairway, especially for feel shots. 

I had;

Driver

4 wood

3 iron - 22 

5 iron - 26

6 iron - 30 

7 iron - 34

8 iron - 38

9 iron - 42

PW - 46

GW - 50 

Vokey M - 54

Vokey S 56

Vokey M - 60 

To my mind it seemed like a great idea, the problem mainly was getting fit with the wrong shaft and the huge soles on the 716 AP2's. 4 rounds later they were gone. 

I have 2 friends that will probably never forget the debacle. 

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

3 hours ago, dsmil said:

I do 15 yards between wedges and 10 yards between irons. 

IMO that should be the other way around. With irons getting the ball on the green within +/- 7.5 yards of the flag is fine, but if you're close enough to use a wedge +/- 5 yards is a lot better.

• Like 1

Callaway Supersoft

19 hours ago, mryank said:

interesting

I've done this forever with the irons/wedges. I like 15 yards between clubs. 

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, Billfitz said:

IMO that should be the other way around. With irons getting the ball on the green within +/- 7.5 yards of the flag is fine, but if you're close enough to use a wedge +/- 5 yards is a lot better.

I agree with your numbers, but that assumes we only have one stock swing for each club.  With wedges, I'm fine with taking a lot of distance off and I'm not worried about making clean contact.  With a 6 iron, making clean contact and hitting it straight is hard enough that I'd rather limit the variance in my swing .  I thought that having larger gaps in wedges than irons was pretty standard but maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

21 hours ago, mryank said:

I recently bent my iron set to have equal 4 degree loft gaps from 20-48 and I love the results.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

8 hours ago, dsmil said:

I thought that having larger gaps in wedges than irons was pretty standard but maybe I'm wrong.

Tighter gaps in wedges would be the reason for them often having the same shaft length in the GW, SW and LW. I've never been comfortable with taking off distance with any of my clubs. I will with my LW when I have to use it from close in going over a trap, that's about it. Otherwise where some would use a LW with less than a full swing I'm usually chipping, and then with a 7, 8 or 9 iron. They give me better distance control than a partial swing with a wedge.

Callaway Supersoft

The "standard deviation" of carry distance is much wider with our longer clubs than the shorter ones. Still, we get married to the distance we carry them under perfect conditions (off a flat, pristine range lie while hitting 20 shots in a row with the same club).

How many times do we swing a five iron on the course and have it carry the exact distance we've honed during range sessions? Probably not that often for most of us. 

I recently dropped a fairway wood and my top-of-bag gapping goes driver, four wood (16.5), four hybrid (21). I have less indecision over which club to choose and I'm less likely to talk myself into playing a shot I shouldn't attempt on the course. Plus I spend a little more time practicing shots with two clubs than I ever could with three. 

I think the same logic would apply for someone who wanted to adjust their five iron and drop their four or six irons. Having only one club there probably means building more confidence in what that club actually does for you. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

^^^ great comment.

After playing with a 12 club bag for a couple years ( only one hybrid and no SW ) I went back to a 14 club bag, because, well, I’m allowed 14 clubs, so may as well have those 2 “specialty” clubs.  Really, in reality, that extra hybrid will not save me a stroke ever, and my SW is for the “perfect” 100 yard shot, which I can do with my GW opened up a bit.  I really should go back to 12 clubs and keep it simple/simpler.

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

14 hours ago, Billfitz said:

Tighter gaps in wedges would be the reason for them often having the same shaft length in the GW, SW and LW. I've never been comfortable with taking off distance with any of my clubs. I will with my LW when I have to use it from close in going over a trap, that's about it. Otherwise where some would use a LW with less than a full swing I'm usually chipping, and then with a 7, 8 or 9 iron. They give me better distance control than a partial swing with a wedge.

Another line of thinking (to which I subscribe…) is that since the earth cooled, the vast majority of golfers cannot consistently hit iron-like clubs with shafts longer than 38” and/or loft less than 25 degrees.  The evolution of iron design and lighter shafts may support extending that slightly but not much.  Concurrently, most average size men aren’t interested in clubs less than 35” in length.  Hence, you have to compress the shaft lengths somewhere and wedges seem the logical choice given they are rarely swung at max speed and are more about finesse and controlling trajectory and spin.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

My 39.75" 23 degree 5 iron and I get along quite nicely. 😏

It gaps perfectly to my 40.5" 22 degree 4 hybrid. 

Callaway Supersoft

Yeah it's the part of the bag I've been most experimental with.  Since the 90s I had 3i (20-21°), 4i (23-24°), 5i (26-27°), 6i (30°), then 4° from there.  I've come to realize what I really prefer out of the top end:

- an iron as mainly a tee option around 20°

- having the "6" iron around 30°

- something easy to hit high, long, and straight (😄 I mean.. of course) off the turf in between that covers those distances well enough.

On paper it could be 20°, 25°, 30° or 22°, 26°, 30°.  A hybrid could fill a role or two.  What I've found is I really like an SGI iron for that easy long turf club that's basically filling "4" and "5" irons with one club.  I'm able to keep a "driving iron" which is also an SGI that's usable off the deck if needed.  The static lofts and gaps on paper don't make a whole lot of sense:

- 19.5° / stamped "4" / plays as a "long tee iron"

- 23.5° / stamped "6" / plays as a "long ground iron" covering "4 and 5 iron" distances, or "4.5 iron"

- 30° / stamped "6" with my "players irons"

I don't really care for the numbers on paper...  In practice this 4.5 iron is great - flies like a hybrid (without the left-right misses that a hybrid can amplify with gear effect), and able to knockdown into my "players" 6i distances.  Weird, yes, but who cares.  Also I'm not offended by "ugly" SGIs and offset, which helps for my setup preferences. 

• Like 2

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

This thread has me thinking of dropping a second club, probably my five or six iron, and adjusting the other to slightly close the resulting gap. 

Neither of these is a precision club for me and generally I’m using them to lay up on a par five anyway. Nine out of ten times it’s a toss up which to pull. 

I’d likely leave the odd club in the trunk anyway and throw it in for riding rounds. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS