2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

30 minutes ago, Tree Levino said:

How did the putter do? Those should be some good rounds! Did you play i210 ever? Interested in opinions from those around scratch

Shot 4 under and 3 under. Putter was ok but greens are not really rolling true right now as they are still recovering and the grass hasn’t started to grow. Still good rounds just tough to get the things rolling. 

I never played the i210s so I won’t be able help you there.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2023 at 9:47 PM, BirdieBob said:

Yes, just sign up on fedex and check in the fedex manager for packages.

Funny enough, I signed up on Saturday after you posted that and got a text this morning that two packages from Phoenix were arriving today...here's the best part though...they sent RH clubs! 🤣

Just placed my order B-)

Got a bit of surgery coming after. Placed the order for X100's but got fit into Oban CT125x for the year. Got lucky and randomly found a set of irons online with the right shafts, so going to do a bit of a swapsie in a few weeks.

But... what ferrules? 😝

image.png.f2f57ec86b56919b515e39468d66a816.pngimage.png.e8bac9cbd43ea405fb19d2ff367d29e9.pngimage.png.4a5011dd49a7b02293e70d89370936f6.pngimage.png.3e7736167b4d57584003cb2f02941cd3.png

Edited by Z1ggy16

7 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Just placed my order B-)

Got a bit of surgery coming after. Placed the order for X100's but got fit into Ocan CT125x for the year. Got lucky and randomly found a set of irons online with the right shafts, so going to do a bit of a swapsie in a few weeks.

But... what ferrules? 😝

image.png.f2f57ec86b56919b515e39468d66a816.pngimage.png.e8bac9cbd43ea405fb19d2ff367d29e9.pngimage.png.4a5011dd49a7b02293e70d89370936f6.pngimage.png.3e7736167b4d57584003cb2f02941cd3.png

You’re going to love obans.  So smooth.  As for bb&f, my vote is last to first.  I actually prefer roulette mixes but that’s just me.  🤷🏻‍♂️

18 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Just placed my order B-)

Got a bit of surgery coming after. Placed the order for X100's but got fit into Ocan CT125x for the year. Got lucky and randomly found a set of irons online with the right shafts, so going to do a bit of a swapsie in a few weeks.

But... what ferrules? 😝

21 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Just placed my order B-)

But... what ferrules? 😝

Another vote for #1. Those are sick!

14 minutes ago, Inglewood said:

You’re going to love obans.  So smooth.  As for bb&f, my vote is last to first.  I actually prefer roulette mixes but that’s just me.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh I know, when I hit them I was pretty shocked. I looked at the profile online and it is very stiff on paper, but somehow doesn't feel it. I got lucky and found a set of pured shafts, so there's no excuses for me this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karstens_ghost said:

So after 3 1/2 months of waiting, getting double-taxed, paying an import fee, and getting then a bit dinged up in transit, they're here.

To me, the Darts feel like Recoil 2.0. I got the 105 F4 and they so far don't feel that different than my soft-stepped MMT 105tx. They're a fraction weaker, but that's probably placebo for me at the moment. If you know your recoils, you'll know that feeling when it "tears" top to bottom, like on a thin shot. Darts do this too, but not as bad. The energy transfer feels more… clear - it's more like you'd expect with a steel shaft. That said, if you think Recoils feel dead, don't get these. If you think recoils do a good job with elbow pain, etc., definitely get these. They feel at least as good if not better. Stingers don't sting.

The 230s were just unreal into the wind today. It was a hard cross and I hit shots that were unbelievably straight. I attribute some of that to spinny range balls, as I was at times hitting clubs far too high. But I will say that my Blueprint 5-iron is officially in retirement. That will never come out again, except maybe as a swing-aid. The 230 5-iron was *so* much easier to hit, it was night and day.

The only real fight is whether to take my trusty Glide Forged 50 out for the UW. I'm looking forward to testing more. And more. And some more. 🙂

I fully agree that those want to go straight, also in cross-wind. I played several rounds in strong wind. On a few holes the wind is coming from the right and I aimed at the bunker on the right side of the green, and that is where my shots ended up.. 

For those that went power spec, did/do you notice much increase in the offset?  

I'm not a fan of looking at offset and had my 230s at std lofts.   I just sold mine, but I'm tempted somewhat to jump back in with a better setup.  I'd likely go more upright in lie and power spec them.  At std lofts, they can spin the ball like a mofo.  The power spec setup sounds interesting, but not sure I'd want to stomach more offset.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

4 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

So after 3 1/2 months of waiting, getting double-taxed, paying an import fee, and getting then a bit dinged up in transit, they're here.

To me, the Darts feel like Recoil 2.0. I got the 105 F4 and they so far don't feel that different than my soft-stepped MMT 105tx. They're a fraction weaker, but that's probably placebo for me at the moment. If you know your recoils, you'll know that feeling when it "tears" top to bottom, like on a thin shot. Darts do this too, but not as bad. The energy transfer feels more… clear - it's more like you'd expect with a steel shaft. That said, if you think Recoils feel dead, don't get these. If you think recoils do a good job with elbow pain, etc., definitely get these. They feel at least as good if not better. Stingers don't sting.

The 230s were just unreal into the wind today. It was a hard cross and I hit shots that were unbelievably straight. I attribute some of that to spinny range balls, as I was at times hitting clubs far too high. But I will say that my Blueprint 5-iron is officially in retirement. That will never come out again, except maybe as a swing-aid. The 230 5-iron was *so* much easier to hit, it was night and day.

The only real fight is whether to take my trusty Glide Forged 50 out for the UW. I'm looking forward to testing more. And more. And some more. 🙂

I've played the Glide wedges for about as long as they've been around but ordered the UW with my i230 set just kinda on a whim.

I was really surprised but I ended up selling my Glide 4.0 and keeping the UW - it's just a really good and versatile club.

Maybe not quite as pretty as the 4.0 (or in your case the Forged) but it's really, really good.

And I second everything you said about the Dart 105 F4 and in fact have it in the UW as well.

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

4 hours ago, DNice26 said:

For those that went power spec, did/do you notice much increase in the offset?  

I'm not a fan of looking at offset and had my 230s at std lofts.   I just sold mine, but I'm tempted somewhat to jump back in with a better setup.  I'd likely go more upright in lie and power spec them.  At std lofts, they can spin the ball like a mofo.  The power spec setup sounds interesting, but not sure I'd want to stomach more offset.

I ordered mine green dot (2 up) and power spec. Would be hard pressed to tell the difference in offset between power spec and standard. If the offset bothered you in your previous set then would look elsewhere. Otherwise, it's hardly noticable IMO>.

• Like 3

i ordered mine std spec as i wanted to keep the higher ball flight. had to drop a few RPMs (ironically) and went with the LS hardstepped once. can't wait to get them in my hands. been using and abusing my friends set in the sim for the last few months lol

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

22 hours ago, gioguy21 said:

i ordered mine std spec as i wanted to keep the higher ball flight. had to drop a few RPMs (ironically) and went with the LS hardstepped once. can't wait to get them in my hands. been using and abusing my friends set in the sim for the last few months lol

How many RPM did the hard stepping drop? I am in the same boat. I am looking at the 6.0's and LOVE the feel (not even a faster swing) but I was getting too much spin.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Mizuno TI 15* - HZRDUS Green RDX 6.0

***Open to suggestions***

Mizuno Pro 245 with TT DG Mid 115 S300

Mizuno T24 54 and 60 S400
Bettinardi Queen B

2 minutes ago, JBuer said:

How many RPM did the hard stepping drop? I am in the same boat. I am looking at the 6.0's and LOVE the feel (not even a faster swing) but I was getting too much spin.

What evidence were you seeing of "too much spin"?  Ballooning in the wind or 7 iron backing up off the green, or other?  I swing fairly quick with a 7 iron at ~92 with X100 +1/2" and standard loft 7i was living around ~6600 RPM with a Bridgestone TourB-XS ball for testing.

48 minutes ago, underwater said:

What evidence were you seeing of "too much spin"?  Ballooning in the wind or 7 iron backing up off the green, or other?  I swing fairly quick with a 7 iron at ~92 with X100 +1/2" and standard loft 7i was living around ~6600 RPM with a Bridgestone TourB-XS ball for testing.

Testing was done on Trackman (indoor). 7 iron spinning at 7800 off mats so add a couple hundred more on grass. Swing speed 84MPH. Not saying it isn't my swing (a hair too steep) but wanted to try and bring spin down without re-inventing my swing. 

Edited by JBuer

Bettinardi Queen B

2 hours ago, JBuer said:

Testing was done on Trackman (indoor). 7 iron spinning at 7800 off mats so add a couple hundred more on grass. Swing speed 84MPH. Not saying it isn't my swing (a hair too steep) but wanted to try and bring spin down without re-inventing my swing. 

Agree with that concept of getting gear to fit your move.  I'm floored you were seeing 7800rpm from a 6.0 FCM 7 iron at 82mph. Nobody hits down on the ball as much as Tyrell Hatton and he isn't getting those figures.

But if you saw it, you saw it. 

Edited by underwater

Just placed my order for some Power Spec i230's. I've used KBS Tour 120 S for years so went that route. I did hardstep them 1 time to maybe nudge flight down just a touch. I'm enjoying my ZX7 Mk II's, but the reported slight fade bias of the 230's is really intriguing to me. I've only tested them indoors against my irons. For whatever reason, my draw spin is exaggerated swinging indoors off mats. But even so, the 230's definitely had less draw spin than my ZX7's. Will be interesting to see if it translates to outdoors. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus Blue TR 6

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75

Callaway AI Smoke TD 18° | Tensei AV White 85

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120 Black 

LAB DF3 Counterbalance - TPT Shaft

1 hour ago, underwater said:

Agree with that concept of getting gear to fit your move.  I'm floored you were seeing 7800rpm from a 6.0 FCM 7 iron at 82mph. Nobody hits down on the ball as much as Tyrell Hatton and he isn't getting those figures.

But if you saw it, you saw it. 

Don't disagree. I'm still trying to figure it out. I have my actual fitting tomorrow again on Trackman. I will see if I can get some better numbers including launch etc. 

• Like 1

Bettinardi Queen B

47 minutes ago, JBuer said:

Don't disagree. I'm still trying to figure it out. I have my actual fitting tomorrow again on Trackman. I will see if I can get some better numbers including launch etc. 

For what little it's worth....   in a bit of an apples/oranges comparison, I switched away from a Mizuno blade set I'd been playing, because I had only slightly lower spin than you mentioned, but it was a 5 iron.  I did have a bit of speed at the time, but it's not like I was in the Scottie Scheffler or Rory zipcode.

Not fun in headwinds.   😐

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

37 minutes ago, bogey69 said:

I hope this is not true!

My buddy who is a 10 cap just got a set of these with the stock Project X shafts.  He's coming from the MMC-18 with DG S300.  He's a high speed player and I have noticed he has picked up nearly a club in distance with the i230s. They go noticeably higher and straighter than his previous irons.  I've also hit them and found them to be quite forgiving.  I don't think he specified swing weight as they do feel a little lighter than his old irons, but he's not fussed.  The other thing I noticed is that they sound "soft".  A really muted sound which I like.  His Glide wedges sound the same.  He's delighted with them.

I have no doubt with my small sample size that a mid to low 80s player could handle these.  Forgiveness in a compact package.  They look sweet in his bag too. 

• Like 3

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

1 hour ago, beluga99 said:

My buddy who is a 10 cap just got a set of these with the stock Project X shafts.  He's coming from the MMC-18 with DG S300.  He's a high speed player and I have noticed he has picked up nearly a club in distance with the i230s. They go noticeably higher and straighter than his previous irons.  I've also hit them and found them to be quite forgiving.  I don't think he specified swing weight as they do feel a little lighter than his old irons, but he's not fussed.  The other thing I noticed is that they sound "soft".  A really muted sound which I like.  His Glide wedges sound the same.  He's delighted with them.

I have no doubt with my small sample size that a mid to low 80s player could handle these.  Forgiveness in a compact package.  They look sweet in his bag too. 

More forgiving than your MP20 MMCs?  I had those for two years and loved them and regretted selling them when I was switching to graphite.  Should have just reshafted them.  They were quite forgiving for what they are.  How do the 230s compare?

7 minutes ago, Ripken08 said:

More forgiving than your MP20 MMCs?  I had those for two years and loved them and regretted selling them when I was switching to graphite.  Should have just reshafted them.  They were quite forgiving for what they are.  How do the 230s compare?

I would say marginally more forgiving than the Mizunos, but I have only hit a few balls with my friend's new Pings.  I feel your pain selling the MMCs.  Mine aren't going anywhere, despite my lusting after some new irons.  The MMCs are a complete iron to me, forgiving, look great behind the ball, and perform beautifully.  The Pings are very alluring though.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

I know you guys like pictures. Here ya go.

The third one is a Blueprint 6-iron left, 230 right. Fourth are the same two at address. Surprisingly to me they aren't too much different visually, but that's me. I'm probably not the majority opinion there.

MicroMax grooves are excellent performers and a lot more work to keep clean on course. They're a very good innovation.

IMG_1134.jpeg

IMG_1135.jpeg

IMG_1136.jpeg

IMG_1137.jpeg

• Like 4

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg