2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

28 minutes ago, AmazinBlue said:

Notice, of all the top players that have gone to LIV, almost everyone has been a Masters winner. Being able to play in the Masters and assuming they make the cut or play well, they will earn exemptions into the other majors. Its the easiest path for these guys to keep their major status.  I understand the huge dollar draw, but all the things Rahm said about history of the game, chasing records and " 48- player fields with no cut isn't real golf to me" goes out the window.  How much is enough?  If the PGA Tour fails down the road because of this, I blame Phil.  His intense greed to cover his failed investments and gambling debts started all this.

The Masters could choose to not invite some past winners.  They can invite whoever they want and not invite past winners if they so choose.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

I see from the foregoing posts that LIV GOLF just got alot LOUDER!!

• Haha 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8* and 9*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Sad day for golf. Disappointing that words mean so little. Rahm should learn a thing or two from Hovland about money.

Curious to how the entire ownership and collaboration between the tours will turn out in the future.

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSr2 9

Woods: TM Qi10 3HL & 7

Irons: Titleist T200 UT 4, T150 5, Artisan LS720MB 6-9

Wedges: Artisan LS720 MB 47, 51S, 55SB, 59DS

Putter: Odyssey Ai-ONE Milled Seven T CH

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Bag: Jones Trouper R

The pga should have tooken this more seriously off the get go. They were too cocky and forgot money talks which they could have done a better job spreading around in the first place. Now they are very wobbly and might be knocked out by 2025 if more talent defects. So crazy. Bad job at the top levels. Tiger should be extremly pissed imo. Imagine working so hard to basically own the pga tour and you almost threw it away yourself but the pga is now really throwing it away. So all the greats on this tour are just going to go down as a once was? Imagine nfl or mlb or nba going through this too.

41 minutes ago, AmazinBlue said:

Notice, of all the top players that have gone to LIV, almost everyone has been a Masters winner. Being able to play in the Masters and assuming they make the cut or play well, they will earn exemptions into the other majors. Its the easiest path for these guys to keep their major status.  I understand the huge dollar draw, but all the things Rahm said about history of the game, chasing records and " 48- player fields with no cut isn't real golf to me" goes out the window.  How much is enough?  If the PGA Tour fails down the road because of this, I blame Phil.  His intense greed to cover his failed investments and gambling debts started all this.

I suspect LIV will evolve into bigger fields and cuts - and potentially even major / minor tours with promotion and relegation.

Rahm did say he made up his mind after a discussion on the plans going forward.

I think golf as a whole is going to go through a fairly massive change. I mean, crikey, we're an era where you tube golfers are pulling bigger audiences that some events and events get boosted because a you tube golfer is playing in it.  

6 minutes ago, Jay28 said:

I don't get what principles McElroy has particularly - he abandoned the European tour for the money and prestige of the US tour.

Sure he got his deal to remain a full member - but he plays few events.  He actually got special treatment whilst making the US his home tour.

To me I see LIV as just another tour attracting players with more money - just as the US tour did.

The international / global element of the LIV tour make it more so.

With the players on the LIV tour now and no doubt more to follow - it's fast becoming the main tour.

He didn't abandon it, he plays some events in it every year, he just won the Race to Dubai. America has the largest golf market and the three major championships there, everyone at the top of golf is going to play there while that is the case. Monty missed out on majors probably because he wasn't adapted enough to American style courses and greens.

LIV is a US tour as well, it has seven American events. Rory's principles were that he didn't think Saudi money was good - the result is Saudis barged in and bought everything anyway, that he thought the PGA Tour was the best tour to get all the best players together in meaningful competition - it still is - you might be cynical about America but the Canadian Open goes back to 1904 and Los Angeles Open/Riviera goes back to 1928. You qualify for these events by earning the right through your good play. It has a prestige and history that LIV doesn't.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

The Masters could choose to not invite some past winners.  They can invite whoever they want and not invite past winners if they so choose.

@bekgolf bro really??   Yes you are right they could ban them going foward but they will need to put an next to every winner hence. 

That whole notIon 100% defeats the whole reason Bobby started the Masters.

Edit:  I know you meant certain players only which we all know you meant anyone who plays on the LIV tour.

Edited by CDM

Micahel Breed brought up an interesting question this morning. What if LIV (the Saudi's) buy some important tournaments from the PGA Tour instead of just players.  They have an unlimited amount of money. If they bought the ATT at Pebble Beach or the API? If they offered 150M and flipped it to LIV? Then the Tour is in real trouble.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

8 minutes ago, CDM said:

@bekgolf bro really??   Yes you are right they could ban them going foward but they will need to put an next to every winner hence. 

Edit:  I know you meant certain players only which we all know you meant anyone who plays on the LIV tour.

They have to make a call though on a certain unsavoury individual from Argentina though this year that has nothing to do with LIV.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

If Augusta was going to uninvite the past champs on LIV they would’ve done it already at the last masters.

• Like 2

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

8 minutes ago, CDM said:

I can choose not to watch it.  I barely made it through last year.  Maybe this is the year I don't watch majors. 

• Haha 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

3 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

You actually track the trades from LIV???!   I bet most of us don't even know the names of the teams.  When I think of team golf, I think of the President's/Ryder/Walker and Solheim Cups.

It shows up in Twitter feed "for you". I don't actually follow anything LIV but it's fun to see what kind of stupid stuff they are up to. 

Like a team trading away 4 wins from last year. If it's a team competition then the goal should be winning. We all know it's a shame competition I'm just passive aggressive about pointing it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmazinBlue said:

Phil didn't really start this, that is true. Greg Norman has been trying to torpedo the PGA Tour for 20 years.  His ego is limitless and his desire to see the Tour fail is never-ending.  I'll admit I'm an old school guy, I liked things the way they were. I get that there was a lot of money the players weren't getting from TV right etc, but the division in professional golf now is not pretty.

Closer to 30 years ago for Greg…not 20.

https://www.nbcsports.com/golf/news/history-repeating-itself-30-years-later-greg-norman-still-challenging-most-powerful-men-golf

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

17 minutes ago, aus10KC said:

It shows up in Twitter feed "for you". I don't actually follow anything LIV but it's fun to see what kind of stupid stuff they are up to. 

Like a team trading away 4 wins from last year. If it's a team competition then the goal should be winning. We all know it's a shame competition I'm just passive aggressive about pointing it out.

Well you seem to follow LIV a lot more than I do.  As a confession and as a guilty pleasure, I sorta enjoyed LIVE rounds when it was on Youtube.  I don't like watching it on CW as it is harder for find an affiliate that even carries it.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

21 minutes ago, CDM said:

What is crazy is how so many fan boys of the PGAT can make the comments about LIV and yet can not stomach the fact to admit that Jay M and team completely collapsed the commercial business of the PGAT.....!   

What could Monahan (or anybody else) done to prevent PGA Tour players from taking Saudi money and joining the LIV Tour ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• GwrxMod changed the title to LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)