2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

8 hours ago, stinger_gc said:

Expecting pro golfers to grow the game is dumb. Pro Golf can expose people to the game but it can’t keep people in the game. The 2 main reasons people stop playing golf is because it takes too long and it’s too expensive. 

Getting people to stay in the game is half of it.. the other half is getting new people involved, and one way that can be done is by exposure to the game in a new way, new areas, or some combination of the two. 

15 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

The next words spoken were "you gotta purdy mouth!"

• Haha 4

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

It is somewhat odd why Norman & Co. settled on the 54 hole format. They had to know the OWGR points issue was going to be an issue.  I've watched and followed lots of Champions Tour events over the past 20 years and don't find those events any less entertaining than 72 hole events.  In some ways, a one day cut is more challenging.  I think it provides a better balance of play and rest for the field.  When you throw in the pro/am which many events have, that's a lot of wear and tear.  I've not heard many LIV players talk about it specifically but suspect having more time off for personal life was a factor in the decision to leave the PGAT.

2 hours ago, CBarns92 said:

You may not enjoy it but you can’t honestly deny that they are attracting a much younger audience and taking top players to new markets. 

Fixed. 😅

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

3 hours ago, CBarns92 said:

You may not enjoy it but you can’t honestly deny that they are attracting a much younger audience and taking top players to new markets. I didn’t say anything about team aspects, you just assumed that’s what I meant because it was the clearest route to a rebuttal. Good talk. 

Let’s see how this shapes up this year

That big spike is when LIV first was announced and took BK DJ etc in 2022

But interest just keeps falling lower and lower each year

Will signing Rahm get interest on the upswing? We will see

For comparison, that’s an overlay of “Tiger Woods” as a search term in Google trends compared to LIV golf

IMG_9786.jpeg

IMG_9787.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

It is somewhat odd why Norman & Co. settled on the 54 hole format. They had to know the OWGR points issue was going to be an issue.  I've watched and followed lots of Champions Tour events over the past 20 years and don't find those events any less entertaining than 72 hole events.  In some ways, a one day cut is more challenging.  I think it provides a better balance of play and rest for the field.  When you throw in the pro/am which many events have, that's a lot of wear and tear.  I've not heard many LIV players talk about it specifically but suspect having more time off for personal life was a factor in the decision to leave the PGAT.

In the initial wave of players joining LIV, the primary reason stated was more personal time with family. Whether that is true is another discussion.

Edited by ahenderX
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

According to the OWGR board, 54 holes is not an issue.

The problem is that Uncle Greg's Young Champions is a closed shop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

That’s what drives me absolutely crazy about LIV. Norman could’ve gotten in touch with Dawson in 2021 to verify whether or not the format would be eligible for ranking points and adjust accordingly 

16 minutes ago, stinger_gc said:

That’s what drives me absolutely crazy about LIV. Norman could’ve gotten in touch with Dawson in 2021 to verify whether or not the format would be eligible for ranking points and adjust accordingly 

He also could have recognized that the closed-shop nature was a non starter but he was too stubborn for his own good. He wants LIV guys to be able to play anywhere they want, whenever they want. But he also wants to keep LIV as a private club, invitation only.

• Like 2

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

For comparison, that’s an overlay of “Tiger Woods” as a search term in Google trends compared to LIV golf

IMG_9786.jpeg

IMG_9787.jpeg

Comparing TW to LIV? That seems rather unfair. That's like comparing Michelle Yeoh to my mother in law. 

Edited by woahnelly
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, CBarns92 said:

You may not enjoy it but you can’t honestly deny that they are attracting a much younger audience and taking top players to new markets. I didn’t say anything about team aspects, you just assumed that’s what I meant because it was the clearest route to a rebuttal. Good talk. 

By all measurements they don't have much of an audience.  But lets go with your narrative of a younger audience.  Why would they (potential sponsors) want a younger audience? 

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

4 hours ago, CBarns92 said:

How can you say who they are attracting when they refuse to release their ratings and report no demographic breakdown of whatever tiny audience they have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

He also could have recognized that the closed-shop nature was a non starter but he was too stubborn for his own good. He wants LIV guys to be able to play anywhere they want, whenever they want. But he also wants to keep LIV as a private club, invitation only.

If the PIF gave Golfwrx members the money/same budget they gave Norman/Co and 3 months to put together a tour I can guarantee we could put out a better product. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stinger_gc said:

If the PIF gave Golfwrx members the money/same budget they gave Norman/Co and 3 months to put together a tour I can guarantee we could put out a better product. 

100% we could because 

We’d never have hired Norman! 🤣

Ergo, we would reach out to Tiger and Rory, maybe BK too, and invite them to St Martin and hammer out a deal in 2 days!

Tiger ain’t gonna return GNs calls lol

Norman instantly taints the entire thing. 

Plus obviously we’d have no mumble rap or Pat Perez.

By now, the WRX Tour would be the premier global standard in the game yo!

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

100% we could because 

We’d never have hired Norman! 🤣

Ergo, we would reach out to Tiger and Rory, maybe BK too, and invite them to St Martin and hammer out a deal in 2 days!

Tiger ain’t gonna return GNs calls lol

Norman instantly taints the entire thing. 

Plus obviously we’d have no mumble rap or Pat Perez.

By now, the WRX Tour would be the premier global standard in the game yo!

WRX Tour Rule #1: One-stroke penalty for any drive under 300 yards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, stinger_gc said:

Arrogance is a difficult affliction to overcome. By it's very nature, the necessary self acknowledgement and act of seeking help are virtually impossible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd say we should include a WRX 4-cap in every event...

...but that wouldn't be fair to the pros. They'd get too demoralized. 

• Haha 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

In the ball rollback thread I looked something up and found it interesting... 

In the modern distance era (post-2003), the PGA Tour has had 9 rounds of 59 or better. With ~40 events per year, large fields, and 72-hole tournaments. That's about 0.5 rounds per year. 

LIV has already had a 58 and a 59, with fewer events, smaller fields, and only 54-hole events. 

Are they just setting up these courses to promote low scores so they have something to talk about?

(I mean, it's not helping Phil... He's +4 at the moment...)

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

IMG_9786.jpeg

IMG_9787.jpeg

I concur 100%. This will be a pivotal year for LIV Golf, especially after signing the world #3 for over $1/2B and #16 for over $50M (according to sources).

If this move doesn't get the eyeballs and a paying Media deal nothing will. IMO

• Like 2

3 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

In the ball rollback thread I looked something up and found it interesting... 

In the modern distance era (post-2003), the PGA Tour has had 9 rounds of 59 or better. With ~40 events per year, large fields, and 72-hole tournaments. That's about 0.5 rounds per year. 

LIV has already had a 58 and a 59, with fewer events, smaller fields, and only 54-hole events. 

Are they just setting up these courses to promote low scores so they have something to talk about?

(I mean, it's not helping Phil... He's +4 at the moment...)

You answered your own question.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

3 hours ago, Titleist99 said:

I concur 100%. This will be a pivotal year for LIV Golf, especially after signing the world #3 for over $1/2B and #16 for over $50M (according to sources).

If this move doesn't get the eyeballs and a paying Media deal nothing will. IMO

Even if they picked up eyeballs I feel like the sky high prices would already make sponsors hesitant. PGA Tour is already having issues keeping it's current sponsors in the chase to keep it's purses competitive with LIV. In order for a sponsor to invest they need to see a return on investment. LIV's pitch to sponsors almost feels like your friends buddy asking for an investment and saying "trust me bud". That could work in smaller setup as big companies do have money so they can just try things, but the amount I have to imagen LIV is asking millions and no established company is going to do that. 

8 hours ago, jls667 said:

I'd argue that they're not attracting a younger audience because they're attracting almost no audience all together. If Wrx didn't exist, LIV would probably not be most of our radars.

Forums give people an outlet to anonymously argue, plant their flags, and then lean into their opinions causing us to get either pro-LIV or pro-PGA colored glasses. Almost everyone's judgement is clouded.

But if you only take objective measurements into account (i.e. TV ratings), LIV is attracting little to no one...let alone creating a younger audience. So removing us golf nuts here on these forums, the population as a whole couldn't give a rats-a about LIV. 

LIV can start saying they're attracting a younger audience after they first actually attract a consistent TV audience. 

I don’t think it all has to be immediate. Look at Australia. They were massively popular there and a part of the reason is that in the past a lot of top pros visited there and generated interest in the game that didn’t exist before.

LIV now capitalizes on that. The game grew in Australia. They can repeat that same formula in other places now. Hong Kong, Singapore, etc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3