LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

13 hours ago, idrive said:

What it's "telling" is the general golfing public that actually watches golf is sick and freaking tired of the whole liv- PGAT fiasco. 

liv has done more damage to professional golf that any other single anything that has ever taken place.

The divide will never heal.  It's us vs them and the divide will only continue to worsen. Until/if liv folds.

"Growing the game"  Please, how about ruining the game.

All unfortunately very true.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 1:33 PM, jjtour said:

Gooch saying Gooch things

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/39609515/talor-gooch-questions-validity-masters-victory-snub

I actually laughed out loud at the part he says about an asterisk besides a Masters victory cuz "some" of the best players in the world arent in the field. Would that also apply to Brooks' PGA victory last year since Mr. Gooch and others were not in the field? Tell Brooksy you're putting an asterisk on his win Talor, I dare ya.

Gooch did play…well the first two rounds anyways.  76-74 MC. 

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

On 3/2/2024 at 7:04 AM, ashortgame said:

Yes sadly this thread has turned into a negativity fest. I occasionally venture here to see if anything has changed. Pound for pound this week's LIV is a really solid field while the Cognizant Classic has but a sprinkling of quality players. It look more like a KF field.

I still dislike the shotgun start format which I think is quite unfair and the commentary is awful but there is no denying the quality of the LIV field.

The negativity seems to be the usual posters who probably are using 8 years old Game Improvement clubs and are so out of touch with the modern game  they cant see night from day.

I think its more used to boost their post count thinking in some deluded way it gives them credibility. There are posters in here who have upwards of 3,000 posts! I wonder if they actually play golf? 

Shame really. 

The shame here is some thinking the LIV exhibition has a “pound for pound solid field” based on name recognition.  Yes, they have a handful of top notch quality players.  Rahm…Niemann….Koepka in particular.  Most of the rest of the field is “used to be stars” that would be off the exempt list on tour today and a few that would be on Champions tour.

This weeks event you think is KF quality has #’s 9 23 26 27 31 36 37 42 46 52 57 in the OWGR( rough scan and missed some I’m sure and stopped there).

So yes,with LIV you get their best every event.  The one benefit of a 14 event tour if that’s all that matters to you.  

Problem is some have this delusional belief that only the top 10 or so are great players and in reality fields are much deeper than many give them credit for.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Shilgy said:

The shame here is some thinking the LIV exhibition has a “pound for pound solid field” based on name recognition.  Yes, they have a handful of top notch quality players.  Rahm…Niemann….Koepka in particular.  Most of the rest of the field is “used to be stars” that would be off the exempt list on tour today and a few that would be on Champions tour.

This weeks event you think is KF quality has #’s 9 23 26 27 31 36 37 42 46 52 57 in the OWGR( rough scan and missed some I’m sure and stopped there).

So yes,with LIV you get their best every event.  The one benefit of a 14 event tour if that’s all that matters to you.  

Problem is some have this delusional belief that only the top 10 or so are great players and in reality fields are much deeper than many give them credit for.

interesting.  youre just touting the big name players for your argument but ignoring all of the lesser knowns that were top 100 in the owgr when they came to LIV.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

I think most PGAT fans still like good stories. And tension on the weekends. Or a combination of the two. Theres...nothing...in an event where everyone has already gotten tens or hundreds of millions up front. What "story" is there in that? One hundred millionaire playing against another hundred millionaire. Not a good story. And Fehrety inventing tension on the fly to get me interested in the team thing - doesnt work for me.

LIV fans want to keep trolling Bud Cauley or Jake Knapp or whatever - I dont care, go on rooting for guys who are literally playing for nothing. Do I miss seeing DJ every week? Of course I did at first...but I got over it. I'm way more interested in a guy with a mullet who was a nightclub bouncer to support himself. 

I'd argue there are/were plenty of times on the PGAT when it was a millionaire battling another millionaire down the final few holes for a win, and one would pocket around 1m for the win and the other 750k or so for second (or more depending upon the event).

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/2023-memorial-tournament-purse-prize-money-payouts-winners-share-for-golfers-from-20-million-pool/#:~:text=However%2C as has been standard,all collecting more than %24500%2C000.

https://sports.yahoo.com/prize-money-payouts-pga-tour-000438271.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAMZ1PSA3oNnEfvZNeaofzJAywxSV4xXi--75HDHCp3_bKQGUZNhZz28mkreZuEpPWL-YKEKTWLLdxr5OY9OXOspvsk3WttMlGEAJxaXqEbLKTSUsEe759Sc0Uy5J6dFu7jDHxgFELAN5sDoYv9uzvdN1u1wNIhWAtvc1h6c9ooBB

Actually, looks like my initial estimates were wrong.  Even a "non signature event" is closer to 2m and 1m for first and second.

I am not going to bother to look up PGAT or LIV players net worths.  Someone else can if they are inclined but I would be willing to bet there are plenty who are wroth plenty on both tours, without ever having to pick up a club again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

The problem is PGAT fans are passionate about the tour, legacy, history, and not the players. As demonstrated countless times within this thread the moment a player chooses to join LIV nobody cares. In fact, the most common response is good riddance, won’t be missed, glad they’re gone. The PGAT fields might be amazing, but in reality who’s playing is simply irrelevant. I’d argue LIV is the exact opposite. They seem to try very hard to make the players and teams the stars, which might be the exact reason they haven’t gained traction with mainstream fans. 

If LIV teams were actually created via a draft, it would make a whole lot more sense. Right now there are teams which will never win the team portion. LIV from the get go has been shooting from the hip making questionable decisions.

11 hours ago, stinger_gc said:

I’ve seen enough positives this week! I think the squad gets it done in Hong Kong next week. Don’t let today’s collapse distract from the fact that Stinger GC is 4th in the team standings despite a 12th (!) place finish. I predict a 16 shot win next week in the team event supplanting Tiger’s win at pebble as the greatest performance in golf history 

As an Aussie, I'm a little jealous of how you Saffers have got Stinger GC going. Great team spirit and all 4 players contributing.

My Rippers have been carrying Leishman and Jones (better this event) for some time. Lucas Herbert is a decent addition. If things don't improve I expect a couple of changes for next season. It's not the Aussie way to sit back and take second best in sport.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

I think most PGAT fans still like good stories. And tension on the weekends. Or a combination of the two. Theres...nothing...in an event where everyone has already gotten tens or hundreds of millions up front. What "story" is there in that? One hundred millionaire playing against another hundred millionaire. Not a good story. And Fehrety inventing tension on the fly to get me interested in the team thing - doesnt work for me.

LIV fans want to keep trolling Bud Cauley or Jake Knapp or whatever - I dont care, go on rooting for guys who are literally playing for nothing. Do I miss seeing DJ every week? Of course I did at first...but I got over it. I'm way more interested in a guy with a mullet who was a nightclub bouncer to support himself. 

100% agree with the story lines. Cognizant this week ends up having a first time winner in Eckroat, some other guys chasing that havent been there in a while (Lowry), recent successes (Knapp, Van Rooyen), Rory still in the mix doing Rory things, an always tough setup in PGA National, etc. You dont need a signature event to make it interesting. The story of LIV this year has been Niemann's play, other than that it's AK coming back. LIV is trying but still behind IMO on storylines. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pingbling23 said:

interesting.  youre just touting the big name players for your argument but ignoring all of the lesser knowns that were top 100 in the owgr when they came to LIV.

Yes they were in the top 100.  In a bit over two years of LIV have you seen anything at all to suggest the likes of Poulter, Westwood, McDowell,  Bubba and company would be in the top 100 today?  Are any of them going to compete with guys like Eckroat on a weekly basis?  And he was 101 in the rankings before this week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jjtour said:

The story of LIV this year has been Niemann's play, other than that it's AK coming back. LIV is trying but still behind IMO on storylines. 

Rahm is the biggest LIV story.

• Like 3

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

3 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

As an Aussie, I'm a little jealous of how you Saffers have got Stinger GC going. Great team spirit and all 4 players contributing.

My Rippers have been carrying Leishman and Jones (better this event) for some time. Lucas Herbert is a decent addition. If things don't improve I expect a couple of changes for next season. It's not the Aussie way to sit back and take second best in sport.

Rippers should’ve made a move for Minwoo Lee. Absolute stud of the tee and quickly becoming one of my favorite players on tour

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 5:48 PM, HackerDave said:

I dare say there are more people online laughing at LIV than total viewership worldwide.   It's a crappy product and throwing money at more golfers isn't going to change that.   I honestly hope Rahm is miserable and forced to play with Anthony Kim and Wolf for the rest of his career.  

LOL!......100%. The reality of the situation is that the PGAT is coming off one of the most successful seasons in recent memory 2023. The Saudis failing league signed a player for over 1/2 billion dollars with minimum effect. 

That's the state of golf at the present. 72 hole stroke play vs 54 hole team play.

The choice is crystal clear. 🙂

4 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Yes they were in the top 100.  In a bit over two years of LIV have you seen anything at all to suggest the likes of Poulter, Westwood, McDowell,  Bubba and company would be in the top 100 today?  Are any of them going to compete with guys like Eckroat on a weekly basis?  And he was 101 in the rankings before this week.

No and I wasn’t expecting them to win when they were playing on the pga tour right before they signed with LIV.  Can’t criticize one tour and not the other.  Both have filler.

5 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Cam Smith seems to have dropped off big time. He looks so out of shape now compared to when he was at the top of his game...has a major roof over the toolshed. 

• Like 4