"Net To Me" Price?

seus777

Have noticed recently some ads in Classifieds with a price but the price is the seller's "net to me" price. So after Paypal and shipping fees. Seems strange. Why not figure all that out and list your "gross" price? Obviously shipping could be a bit of a variable. I don't recall seeing this pricing tactic before. Seems a bit misleading to price this way even if you're describing your "net" in ad. 

Thoughts?🍿

• Like 2

Guess folks are trying to make the price seem lower than it really is like the sticker vs. out the door price at a dealership once sales tax and all the bogus fees are factored in. 

Used golf club market has softened significantly so not sure how much luck folks are going to have with this. 

• Like 2

I generally don't do that either... just post a shipped price. 

However, I was just "burned" by a $13 "delivery area surcharge" by UPS to other day (to somewhere in TX), so I may put some qualifying language to account for that rare situation.  Most other area surcharges I had seen before were $2.50.  All of this is in the lower 48.

image.png.012a073280c2b319b5c995dee1057d49.png

Or post a price + actual shipping, which is reasonable too.

Edited by Rob_X

================================

Callaway Paradym 10.5 w/ GD Tour-AD XC-7x or Speeder Evo III 661 TX

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5 w/ Speeder Evo IV 661 TX

Titleist TSi2 15* w/ Tour AD DI-7x or Speeder Evo I 757x

Callaway Paradym 3HL 16.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70tx

Callaway Apex 19 4 Hybrid 23* w/ Diamana 'ahina 90x hybrid

Srixon ZX5 3i w/ Modus 105x

Srixon ZX5 4i-5i w/ KBS Tour V 120x

Srixon ZX7 4i-AW w/ KBS $-Taper 130x

Cleveland RTX-4 Zipcore 56* & 60* 

Yeah, it's much cleaner to just assume the 3% and price accordingly. I like to do prices shipped whenever possible and flat rate shipping is a great way to get a ballpark. For big items it makes sense to offer "plus shipping" or "I'll pay the first $25 of shipping" kind of scenario. 

Asking buyers to do the math on the PP fees is a bit of a red flag. 

I generally can estimate shipping/fees so i try to just price accordingly. Definitely seems a bit slimy to try and "hook" people into buying.

However i will say, I just had a situation where i listed something $x Shipped and it turned out potential buyer was in Canada, so it was like $30 more bucks. Felt bad but i had to ask to meet in the middle on shipping or something in that suituation

Edited by dfeldss
  • Like 3

Lefty

Mavrik - Rogue White 60TX

TS2 15* - Tensei White 75X

ZU85 3UDI - Tensei Blue 85TX

Z785 4-PW - X100

MD5 10S 52* 

MD3  12S 56*

Jaws Raw 60* 12X

Phantom 5.5

While I agree the fees part should just be factored in, I can understand leaving some area to make sure you aren't destroyed by shipping. I would still just list "+shipping", but saying "net to me" right after the price isn't shady in any way, IMO. If you can't be bothered to read the three words after the price and miss it, then that's on the buyer.  If the seller lists the "net to me" part somewhere in an opening paragraph and then lists prices later in the ad, that could be a problem, but it's still your responsibility to read. Lol.

And feel free to go back and check all my previous ads to see that I don't list "net to me". Lol

• Haha 1

I was just thinking about this when I saw an ad NET TO ME price...

I didnt understand it either, but I assumed it was because there are those who might be willing to gift payments in order to save few bucks on a purchase? Gosh I hope not, but I will say there are few members here who Ive done deals with that I gift payments anyway. 

I generally avoid even PRICE+SHIPPING deals, until lately when the shipping prices have been inconsistent at best and overpriced at worst... I understand some people have problems with certain carriers, and would rather pay the difference to use another carrier, or at least I assume thats the case based on what Ive read in the item descriptions. 

"Net to me" pricing is pretty common in other user forums for higher-priced items like watches, knives, etc.  Some sellers in those forums refuse to take PayPal at all (they'll tell horror stories of sellers getting scammed via PayPal, despite the seller protections) and demand bank wires.

I think the big difference between the BST here and the watch forums I'm familiar with, is that there seems to be less haggling over price with the watches.

Not sure how I feel about "Net to me" pricing here on the BST - especially given the haggling/lowballing aspect of it.  I'd just list it on eBay at that point.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

I think at minimum you should have PP or whatever fees baked into your price i.e. price is $725 plus actually. I always just list the shipped price after factoring how much shipping is likely to be.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

19 minutes ago, jblough99 said:

If your too lazy or dumb to use basic math to factor in fees and shipping costs to your asking price, well that tells me all I need to know, not someone I’m interested in doing business with.  On to the next ad.

I’m with you on this, I skip listings with asking price ad ons like 3% for PayPal, additional shipping fee east or west of Mississippi, $X for gas to drop off at UPS/USPS/FedEx, $X for packing materials, etc.  

58 minutes ago, snapier said:

I’m with you on this, I skip listings with asking price ad ons like 3% for PayPal, additional shipping fee east or west of Mississippi, $X for gas to drop off at UPS/USPS/FedEx, $X for packing materials, etc.  

Just like when companies charge a processing fee to use a credit card but won't take cash. I never use em again. 

The seller should be paying all fees not the buyer. I get paying shipping but that's it.

3 hours ago, jblough99 said:

If your too lazy or dumb to use basic math to factor in fees and shipping costs to your asking price, well that tells me all I need to know, not someone I’m interested in doing business with.  On to the next ad.

Why is someone lazy or dumb if they want to charge the buyer actual shipping instead of working a flat rate shipping charge into the price and crossing their fingers? Shipping a set of irons or a golf bag a state over vs across the country can be a pretty significant difference in price, so I don't blame someone if they want to do that rather than eat an extra $10+ dollars. I agree factoring in 3% should be a no-brainer and they're likely just leaving open the possibility of a gifted payment if the buyer wants to haggle.

2 hours ago, VNutz said:

I think it's a way of opening the conversation to PayPal gifted without openly stating it. Want something at a discount? Sure, here's what I want to net, you figure out how much you want to pay and how to get there.

Or its actually a business of some kind and needs to keep price, shipping, etc separate for reporting/tax reasons.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

21 hours ago, Rob_X said:

I generally don't do that either... just post a shipped price. 

However, I was just "burned" by a $13 "delivery area surcharge" by UPS to other day (to somewhere in TX), so I may put some qualifying language to account for that rare situation.  Most other area surcharges I had seen before were $2.50.  All of this is in the lower 48.

image.png.012a073280c2b319b5c995dee1057d49.png

Or post a price + actual shipping, which is reasonable too.

Did you ever figure what the heck is that "Delivery Area" surcharge is? Never seen that before either

I don't like this Net to Me price either. IMO, its BS

Edited by SwingBlues

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

29 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

Did you ever figure what the heck is that "Delivery Area" surcharge is? Never seen that before either

I've seen that delivery area charge before, but only once. I guessed it's because it's not in a regular route area or in the middle of no where. But that's just a guess

50 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Or its actually a business of some kind and needs to keep price, shipping, etc separate for reporting/tax reasons.

Regardless of the massive rule that the "BST is for personal use only" in what business scenario would someone be required to have exact shipping and paypal net figures ahead of time that couldn't be accounted for post sale?

1 hour ago, SwingBlues said:

39 minutes ago, 596 said:

I've seen that delivery area charge before, but only once. I guessed it's because it's not in a regular route area or in the middle of no where. But that's just a guess

I think it is just a charge for areas that are pretty out of the way, such that they rarely have other deliveries nearby.  So I guess they are sort of charging you for the gas to drive XX miles out of the way.  

https://www.refundretriever.com/blog/2019/04/04/what-are-the-ups-delivery-area-surcharges-das

Providing service to and from less populated or accessible domestic and international areas carries higher operating costs. The extended and remote area surcharges are assessed to more accurately reflect the cost of providing service to these areas.

I have seen it 3 or 4 times, but mostly it has been <$5, that $13 surcharge was a surprise.  You never can tell until you price it out to a zip code. 

The $13 must have been a "remote area surcharge", which is more than the "delivery area" or "extended delivery area" surcharges.

Edited by Rob_X

================================

Callaway Paradym 10.5 w/ GD Tour-AD XC-7x or Speeder Evo III 661 TX

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5 w/ Speeder Evo IV 661 TX

Titleist TSi2 15* w/ Tour AD DI-7x or Speeder Evo I 757x

Callaway Paradym 3HL 16.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70tx

Callaway Apex 19 4 Hybrid 23* w/ Diamana 'ahina 90x hybrid

Srixon ZX5 3i w/ Modus 105x

Srixon ZX5 4i-5i w/ KBS Tour V 120x

Srixon ZX7 4i-AW w/ KBS $-Taper 130x

Cleveland RTX-4 Zipcore 56* & 60* 

27 minutes ago, PureStrikes54 said:

Regardless of the massive rule that the "BST is for personal use only" in what business scenario would someone be required to have exact shipping and paypal net figures ahead of time that couldn't be accounted for post sale?

That massive rule I believe is broken routinely. On the second part I'm just throwing out stuff that may or may not have some accuracy in it, like 99% of what gets posted here.

Yeah, thanks guys, that makes better sense. Ssssh, thats a stinger you never saw coming, If that was my sale, I would probably reach out to the buyer to cough it up before shipping. Don't feel it's fair on the seller. Wonder if FedEx or USPS has same for the same address?

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

36 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

Yeah, thanks guys, that makes better sense. Ssssh, thats a stinger you never saw coming, If that was my sale, I would probably reach out to the buyer to cough it up before shipping. Don't feel it's fair on the seller. Wonder if FedEx or USPS has same for the same address?

I've never seen one with USPS, but they deliver everywhere anyways, so there's really nowhere that's too remote for them, I would think.  Of course they do that surcharge for length now which makes it pretty much a no-go for shipping clubs with them anymore. At least in my experience.  I'd been out of the playing/buying/selling for a good couple years or more and sold a set of irons on here. Promptly took it to the post office and it was like $65 because of the surcharge.  I went ahead and sent it due to not wanting to mess with it but checked UPS later and it was like half the price or something stupid.

• Thanks 1

Any time I make an offer and the seller counters with “I need to make x after fees and shipping”, I just walk away

1) Its long been a practice that the seller eats the fees and prices their product higher accordingly

2) shipping clubs isn’t as expensive as people think

this hidden fee BS is annoying, just set your all in price and save you and the buyer the extra work 

• Like 2

I’m with OP here. Definitely a turn off. Usually just hit the back button when I see that…

[u]Current Set Up:[/u]
TaylorMade Sim2 Max w/ Pro Launch Red
Nike Vapor Speed 3 wood w/ Pro Launch Red
Nike Vapor Fly 5 wood w/ EPIC T90
Callaway X-forged 2013 4-PW PXi 
Cleveland Zip Core 50*

Cleveland Zip Core 56*

Cleveland Zip Core 60*
Odyssey O-Works #7s