Transition to Using the Line on Your Ball (Putting)

I used to be a serious golfer who is now encountering age related golf degeneration (DOB 1949) and well as going downhill because I mostly don't practice and play once a week. I have decided to push things a bit WRT my arthritic left shoulder and hit some whiffles in the back yard 4 or 5 days per week. I can't hit a lot but certainly 20 to 30 is doable. I also have an artificial putting surface where I can hit putts up to 20 feet (no more than a few inches break anywhere so pretty flat). I will be adding some putting practice. 

My putting woes seem to be primarily related to distance control outside 25'ish feet. I was not sure how to work on that with my limited scope putting surface but I certainly could become a better short putter. I have historically avoided 'the line' because I have pretty severe arthritis in both knees (bone on bone) and bending my knees more than maybe 20 degrees (weight bearing) is a real problem. I find it hard to line up the line just bending from the waist, but last week I put lines on all my balls and have been doing some practice on my putting surface. 

Based on the practice results and initial practice green at the course, I was quite optimistic. Here was my first round using 'the line' where 1 - 20,2 means that on hole #1 I took 2 putts (first one from 20' and second from 2'). Lets just say this was not encouraging (and I finished all putted out all putts  over 1 feet long). 

1 - 30,4,1

2 - 15,2

3 - 45,3,1

4 - 12,1

5 - 14,1

6 - 4,1

7 - 35,2 

8 - 40,7,1

9 - 16,2

10 - 90,1 (great lag for a change after skulling my approach to a rear pin) 

11 - 65,3,1 (blow up hole but another good lag) 

12 - 26,3

13 - 45,4 (made a putt over 2')

14 - 6,1

15 - 5,1

16 - 12,2

17 - 1

18 - 17,1

I have not yet given up on 'the line' or more home practice. But did others struggle to 'use the line' early in the transition or do I seem to be unique here? Surprising to me 'the line' seemed to help long putts and make short ones worse.  Or maybe this is just a one-off and one of those days. 

Thanks.

dave

I used a line for a couple of seasons, but found I putt better without.  A line made me feel more technical.  Making sure everything was square and putt a good stroke on it.  Without, I just visualize the putt and let it go.  This is going to vary person to person.  Curious question, what length putter are you using?  With your health conditions going to a longer putter might help you as well, if you are not already using one.  Good luck.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, golfinbrad said:

I used a line for a couple of seasons, but found I putt better without.  A line made me feel more technical.  Making sure everything was square and putt a good stroke on it.  Without, I just visualize the putt and let it go.  This is going to vary person to person.  Curious question, what length putter are you using?  With your health conditions going to a longer putter might help you as well, if you are not already using one.  Good luck.

9 minutes ago, Itsjustagame said:

Gave up using the line as it distracted me from focusing solely on speed once I am over the putt.

Thanks for the useful responses. Both of these bring back to my mind one reason why I stopped using the line and that was that I seemed to lose feel. On my artificial surface (where things seem to work OK with the line) I have very little break. On real greens there is break and there is a trade-off between speed and line. The line on the ball may well be hindering results due to loss of feel (maybe). 

On the question of putter length and my physical issues, one more issue that I have is spinal stenosis to the point that I was getting periodic spinal epidurals. However bending over actually helps in my case (where the pain actually manifests in my left hip and leg) and putting has never been an issue with that particular problem (which is mysteriously in remission at the moment). Turning through the ball on a full swing was a different story (and may be the story again if the stenosis symptoms re-appear). 

My putter is on the short side at 33 inches (I am 5' 8" with relatively long arms) and I do have a 34 inch putter on the way as my current putter 'just feels a tad short'. But I don't really expect that to address much of anything one way or the other.

Thanks again for the responses. 

dave

• Like 1

First, let's remember that using a line does not mean using a line all the time, every time. Lydia Ko putts left-hand-low on shorter putts and conventionally on longer putts. Inbee Park would routinely switch from putter to putter between events. There are no absolutes in putting. We can use techniques and tools when and where they provide value. 

I would advise using the line on putts inside 10-ft that are relatively straight. This helps guarantee alignment where speed is otherwise not much of a concern. 

Where speed is a major concern such as in lag putting or shorter putts with extreme break, I would relax and ditch the line and put all my focus on rolling the ball with good touch. 

• Like 4

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

26 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

First, let's remember that using a line does not mean using a line all the time, every time. Lydia Ko putts left-hand-low on shorter putts and conventionally on longer putts. Inbee Park would routinely switch from putter to putter between events. There are no absolutes in putting. We can use techniques and tools when and where they provide value. 

I would advise using the line on putts inside 10-ft that are relatively straight. This helps guarantee alignment where speed is otherwise not much of a concern. 

Where speed is a major concern such as in lag putting or shorter putts with extreme break, I would relax and ditch the line and put all my focus on rolling the ball with good touch. 

While these suggestions may or may not be 'right for me', they are sensible things to consider and maybe try out. Thanks. 

dave

I use the line mostly as a diagnostic to try and get it rolling end over end. I have a constant tendency to get a few degrees in to out when putting and the line keeps me honest about whether my path is matched up to the face, and prevents things from getting too extreme. 

The line is also useful, either with a mirror or without, to help train my eyes as to what a square setup looks like. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaveLeeNC said:

While these suggestions may or may not be 'right for me', they are sensible things to consider and maybe try out. Thanks. 

dave

Also something to note Dave, 

If you find that the constant bending down is an issue, I'd suggest at least practicing with something similar and what's nice is that you've got a couple options that can work that are more/less equivalent to a line on the ball. Here are a couple ideas for practice that will engrain good habits.

While golfers used to throw down a chalk line on the practice green, most modern golfers simply carry an elevated string line in their bag. This is not only easier to deploy on the practice green than a line but can be used anywhere on the green regardless of whether or not the putt is perfect straight (as you'd need for a chalk line). 

I also recommend players purchase the Dave Pelz Putting Tutor (or some cheaper copy). This would be great for you because you can practice starting the ball on line by way of a gate drill without having to line up a ball. You can roll the ball up onto the Putting Tutor board without bending down and engrain the good habits a bit more easily. 

image.png.4d15428bc7ed2ce0eb48c829270e096d.png

And again, if you want to deploy the line during real rounds, you can easily do it where you feel it's beneficial. 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

Dave,

My experience is lines are great, for me at least, on shorter putts. Helps me with alignment. 

On lag putts,I'm focusing on speed and just getting the ball to an area. Sometimes the ball falls in sideways. Without proper speed, no chance at that. 

IMO, the further away you are from the hole, the more ways into the hole. So the line isn't as important. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MelloYello said:

Great Post and answer--- I just recently went to the line on the ball because I have a condition similar to the OP. I do not use it on long lag type putts but on putts 10 feet in. Hey it is what ever works IMHO

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Like several others, I only use the line when I'm inside 10-12 ft. 

Regardless of your skill level, you aren't going to make a ton of putts outside of that range so once you get outside of 10 ft speed should be your primary focus. For these, instead of a line on the ball I'll just pick a spot a foot or so in front of my ball and try to get it rolling over that with the proper speed. 

• Like 1

I'm 68 years old.  I can't line up the line on the ball to save my life.  It has never worked, until.....

TaylorMade Tour Response with the fat green line!  Super easy to align the fatter line then the single line. Even the 3 single lines on a Callaway ball is not easy for me. That fat colored line is perfect. Makes a huge difference.  Made a huge improvement in my putting, long and short putts.  

Lots of people have a problem lining up a single line to a single point.  Tee shots for instance.  I can't pick a spot 3 feet in front of the ball and align to it. But pick 2 spots 12" apart 3 feet out and I can align between them all day long!! 

The other thing that has made a huge difference in my putting is an alignment ball marker.  Much easier to align that marker and then place the ball in the same alignment then trying to place the ball only. 

5 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

I have not yet given up on 'the line' or more home practice. But did others struggle to 'use the line' early in the transition or do I seem to be unique here? Surprising to me 'the line' seemed to help long putts and make short ones worse.  Or maybe this is just a one-off and one of those days. 

I hear the aging influences.  At 70yrs+, with painful osteoarthritis in ALL joints, and body that's been put though hell in all sorts of activities, I still go to the gym every other day, leg lifts help, leaving shortly. 🙂 The gym saves me from what many of my friends are experiencing with age.  To keep play we must force ourselves to bend and stretch.

I always put a line on my ball, but only use it half-the-time, probably cause I am lazy.  LOL  When it's used it's aimed at the breaking point of the putt, but it's seldom used for lag putts which are all feel for me.  I use the reverse overlap grip which translates, in rudimentary ways, to underhandedly throwing the golf ball at the landing spot, and realizing roll-out.  That way, I seldom 3-putt and make a lot of -8 footers.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I don't draw anything on mine - I just use the marking that Bridgestone gives me - and I only use it for shorter putts; say inside 5 feet or so. I have a tendency to over-read break, especially when I set up over it, so having it lined up for those helps assure I'm squared up. 

Absolutely don't use it for longer putts. For as long as I can remember, I've visualized a like white line on the green from the ball to the cup once I've read it and am set up over it. Lining up the, uh, line on those really throws me off and makes me second guess myself. 

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

I use  line on the ball. It does help me focus on speed. I line it up to the breaking point/apex and make sure the putter face is perpendicular to the line. What has really helped me, since I use a line on the ball, is no line on the flange. I would always try and make the two lines match up. It would drive me crazy. My putter has a flange line, but i cover it up with lead tape.

Rogue ST LS🔹🔹🔹 GD Tour AD IZ 6S
Sim Ti 15* Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade rescue 19.0 GD Tour AD UT-95
Ping ISI BeNi ZZ65 S 
SM8 52M/56D Project X LZ 6.0

SM9 60K DG
TP MILLS MING

7 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

I used to be a serious golfer who is now encountering age related golf degeneration (DOB 1949) and well as going downhill because I mostly don't practice and play once a week. I have decided to push things a bit WRT my arthritic left shoulder and hit some whiffles in the back yard 4 or 5 days per week. I can't hit a lot but certainly 20 to 30 is doable. I also have an artificial putting surface where I can hit putts up to 20 feet (no more than a few inches break anywhere so pretty flat). I will be adding some putting practice. 

My putting woes seem to be primarily related to distance control outside 25'ish feet. I was not sure how to work on that with my limited scope putting surface but I certainly could become a better short putter. I have historically avoided 'the line' because I have pretty severe arthritis in both knees (bone on bone) and bending my knees more than maybe 20 degrees (weight bearing) is a real problem. I find it hard to line up the line just bending from the waist, but last week I put lines on all my balls and have been doing some practice on my putting surface. 

Based on the practice results and initial practice green at the course, I was quite optimistic. Here was my first round using 'the line' where 1 - 20,2 means that on hole #1 I took 2 putts (first one from 20' and second from 2'). Lets just say this was not encouraging (and I finished all putted out all putts  over 1 feet long). 

1 - 30,4,1

2 - 15,2

3 - 45,3,1

4 - 12,1

5 - 14,1

6 - 4,1

7 - 35,2 

8 - 40,7,1

9 - 16,2

10 - 90,1 (great lag for a change after skulling my approach to a rear pin) 

11 - 65,3,1 (blow up hole but another good lag) 

12 - 26,3

13 - 45,4 (made a putt over 2')

14 - 6,1

15 - 5,1

16 - 12,2

17 - 1

18 - 17,1

Thanks.

dave

Compared to scratch players, those stats mean SG : -4.43 strokes. Pretty bad day. Had 39 putts when a scratch comparable is 34.57 putts

2 hours ago, Varry_Hardon said:

Compared to scratch players, those stats mean SG : -4.43 strokes. Pretty bad day. Had 39 putts when a scratch comparable is 34.57 putts

Back when I took golf seriously I did a lot of stat tracking and much of it was similar to Broadie's Strokes Gained approach (but my work started well before Broadie's became well known). One piece of that was my "Par Putting Table" which defined (for all distances from 1 foot to 99 feet) average strokes to hole out for what I called "good putting". Using that table my 39 strokes is about 6 over par. 

Back in those times I averaged around 1.5 over par and my worst putting day ever was 7.6 over par (best was around 4 under). I just don't bother gathering those stats these days.

dave

I used to be dead against using the line. I was far too pernickety and could rarely get to a point, quickly, where I felt that the ball was comfortable with where I had lined the ball up to. That said about 4-5 years ago my short putting was shocking and I never felt confident that I was lined up anywhere near the correct spot and went back to the line. I would line it up, take a look from behind and even if the line seemed off it gave me something to work on when it came to lining myself up and my short putting has been an awful lot better as a result. I started using it from around 5-6 feet and an in and typically now, anything over 10-12 feet out I won't bother.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Using a line is huge for me on putts under 10ft. It helps me to focus solely on speed. Once I pick my line I don't think about left to right anymore. Get aligned over the ball and then all I think about is speed. I used to be a horrendous putter from 6ft and under. Now I wouldn't say I'm great, but I'm not nervous standing over the putts.

• Like 1

When I went to putting left-handed (to beat the yips), I used the line as it took me a while to "learn" how to see the putt from the other side.  When I went back to right-handed putting after a couple of years, I couldn't adapt to using the line putting conventionally.  I much prefer to just put a dot on the ball and I use that as a focal point.  That being said, I do use the line occasionally on long putts that might have multiple breaks or a huge break.  I can visually pick out the line of the putt but sometimes it is hard to line to the line of a funny break.  The line gives me a better perspective in that regard. 

If I do use the line, I prefer the shorter line most ball OEM's have.  

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (Didn't make the cut)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (still the GOAT)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

On 5/23/2023 at 2:46 PM, larrybud said:

One round doesn't prove a thing either way. Get back to me when you have at least 40 rounds under your belt.

I agree with Larry. Give it an honest go for a few rounds/month, practice and play, and chart what your differences are between Line/No Line.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

OP, here. I was starting down  a path  of some experimentation at home on short putts, line vs. no line. It did not take much as in that specific environment there is zero doubt. The line is better. So my job now is to figure out how and what to take to the golf course WRT the line. So for now I am going to be a "line golfer" inside 8 feet when there is little break. Otherwise  it is TBD. 

dave

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

OP, here. I was starting down  a path  of some experimentation at home on short putts, line vs. no line. It did not take much as in that specific environment there is zero doubt. The line is better. So my job now is to figure out how and what to take to the golf course WRT the line. So for now I am going to be a "line golfer" inside 8 feet when there is little break. Otherwise  it is TBD. 

dave

Just a followup. I played today using the line only inside 12'ish feet and I had reasonable success. The difference was that in practicing the concentration is "the stroke WRT the line". On the course your focus tends toward the hole and results are better (admittedly based on a limited sample) if you don't think about the hole. OTOH, I left  two 10 foot putts short (ball overhanging the lip).

dave

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DaveLeeNC said:

Just a followup. I played today using the line only inside 12'ish feet and I had reasonable success. The difference was that in practicing the concentration is "the stroke WRT the line". On the course your focus tends toward the hole and results are better (admittedly based on a limited sample) if you don't think about the hole. OTOH, I left  two 10 foot putts short (ball overhanging the lip).

dave

It aligns (pun intended) with the Malaska video posted here at times, on the subconsious aspect of it. The line helps if and only if you are able to trust it. When you step into your play box (after aligning it) if something seems off and you keep thinking about it, your subconsious will steer you to compensate (close the face, or else). Why most people have a great time with the line when they practice on a flat surface with alignment aids at home, they know it's right - and why all hell breaks loose on a sloped green when the hole is in their peripheral vision, something appears off on their aim point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1