2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

So you added a driving iron. What is your go-to fairway club from 240?

RoyalMustang

For those of you who moved to a driving iron, what did you replace it with? 

I've been experimenting with a couple of driving irons. One is just a forgiving player's distance iron; Cally Apex Pro 3-iron. The other is the Taylor Made 790 2-iron. Since I've made some swing changes this summer, I've gained a ton of consistency off the tee in those long irons, and I'm a lot more likely to be in the fairway with that club vs my 3H. The hybrid goes higher and has more spin, which is not good in windy conditions. It also seems to have more side to side variance in a minor miss; we have 2 holes in particular that are super narrow and intimidating from the tips, and you can run up a score in a hurry with one less than perfect swing. 

The issue is that I really need a 230-245 fairway club in my bag. My course has 4 par 5's, 2 of which are quite reachable from our 525 tees. If you hit a good tee shot, you have a great opportunity to get home in 2 if you can fly 220-240. That's the hybrid distance and it's a perfect club for approaches and eagle putts. Given my game, that's where I make up strokes and average under par. 

The driving iron is a lot tougher off the fairway, as is the 3-iron. I can only get home with my 4-iron when I really smoke the first drive, and I am not good enough nor able to take enough off my 3-wood to consistently hit 240. Being long on any of these par 4s is a no-no. 

I could ditch my 4-iron and just play 3-iron/Hybrid; the only issue is that we have two par 3's from 210, and if the wind is up slightly or quite a bit, I use that 4-iron. 

Ideally, I want a tee and fairway club that goes 230-245, has middle trajectory, minimal dispersion, and enough spin to stop on greens while still being accurate.  

Two Wedges or a hand canon when nobody’s looking.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

Yeah I have a similar setup. 

I have a UDI stealth 2 iron but I rarely would game it around my area. Would rather just have my 21 UW for that gap cause of its versatility and would rather use it at that 220-240 gap than my 2i.

I supplement that by having my 4i as a driving iron type instead.

The only way I would put in that 2i is somewhere super linksy or if I go over the pond in the UK area. 

• Like 1

My 5 wood is the club for the shot you are describing.  I also carry a 20 degree hybrid.  Depending on wind, uphill/downhill, pin front/back and lie would dictate which one I hit.  All things being equal I'm using the 5 wood.  I can vary the 5 wood trajectory but usually it's quite high and stops within 10 feet.

YMMV

Edited by stormbringer
  • Like 1

Driver: PING G410 9 Tensei CK-Pro Raw Orange AV 65 Stiff

3 Wood: PING Rapture 13 Ping TFC 949 Stiff

5 Wood: PING G410 18 Fuji Atmos TS Black 7

Hybrid: PING G25 20, 23, 27 TCF 189H Stiff

Irons: PING Eye I25 6-PW CFS Stiff

Wedges: PING MB 52, 56, 60 CS-Lite Stiff

Putter: Bobby Grace ARSE Kicker

I actually took my DI out and replaced it with a 7W, my 4i is 210-220, my 7W is 235-245, the DI is about the same 235-245 but with way less spin, great for into the wind shots and short par4s, the 7W is just as good but with better spin numbers...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway AI Smole TD 15*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway AI Smoke TD 20*, Denali white 70g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago and White Hot Pro V-Line as back ups)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Can't bring myself to buy a hybrid, they still look funny in my eye. 

Closest I can get to a hybrid is the Tour AD IZ Hybrid, 85g, stiff shaft in my T200 17' 2 iron, worth 215-225+yds, with a solid smack. LOL This dog learned the game using a 15.5' 1 iron. LOL, Progress for me was going to a 2 iron.  Recently on a golf trip, played The Gold, Blue/White combos, 6350+yds, Par 5's were 507-544, got very close using Driver & 2i, except for the 544, no run on the course, and carded 79.

My 15' 3 wood is worth 230+  and 10' Driver 245+yd carry. 

The error so many make with a long irons off the deck is they fail to choke down 1.5"+ for solid contact. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

2 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Can't bring myself to buy a hybrid, they still look funny in my eye. 

Closest I can get to a hybrid is the Tour AD IZ Hybrid, 85g, stiff shaft in my T200 17' 2 iron, worth 215-225+yds, with a solid smack. LOL This dog learned the game using a 15.5' 1 iron. LOL, Progress for me was going to a 2 iron. 

The error so many make with a long irons off the deck is they fail to choke down 1.5"+ for solid contact. 

Good point: my DI is exactly 1.5" longer than my 4-iron. 

I play 19 degree Mizuno Fli-Hi driving iron that I am just more comfortable with than my 5 wood just because the shaft suits me well. I've thought about fitting for different 5 wood shaft or hybrid but I generally hit the driving iron well enough off tee and fairway that it's not a priority to find an alternative yet. The MP Fli-HI is a pretty forgiving driving iron head though.

• Like 2

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

my top end is

16.5 4w - 255-265

19 degree UW - 235-245

4 hybrid - 210-220

i like the suggestion of doing a 4 driving iron and keep the hybrid in personally. I have had a LOT of success with apex UW, it really does have a nice flight for me, not as much spin / launch as a fairway wood or hybrid of similar loft so it's a fantastic club off the tee for me. 

Edited by Ironzol24
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

Good point: my DI is exactly 1.5" longer than my 4-iron. 

My new T100 4i is 38.5" and T200 4i is 38.5"

All my 2 irons are 39.75", 1 iron is 40"

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I am in the process of converting my set 3-iron to a DI.  Mainly because it currently doesn't go that much further than my 4-iron, and I have an extra hybrid shaft lying around, so why not?

240 is firmly in 2H range for me, but it doesn't have a high floaty trajectory.  I've yet another shaft that's going into that one this week, over the Ping CB it came with.  We will see.

The 3H does have a higher trajectory, but at 'only' 145-148 speed, 240 is a tad ambitious.  230 is doable though.  You hit the ball harder than I do.

Then I go to 4-iron, which usually tops out at 210-ish.  Accordingly, likely adding back some loft to this 3H to get to 21°, and we'll see if a constant 225 results.  Love the 1K Black in it.  90-95% of the feel of the OG VB, at 1/3-1/4 the cost.

I need a reliable 250 club. I hated my hybrid and swapped it out for a a driving iron - Sub70 2 iron with a hybrid shaft in it. Can't hit the damn thing. When I pure it I can absolutely launch it, but it is the least reliable club in my bag. Next up for me is a new hybrid or possibly 7W. 

From 240 right now I usually just try to step on a 4iron which will get close, then have a little chip/pitch up to the green. If there are bunkers in front then I may just hit a 6 iron or something to stay short and have a little pitch in. 

I think I'll get a 3iron with my next iron set because I do feel comfortable with my 4. But the driving 2 iron is a whole different beast for whatever reason. 

4 minutes ago, hawkeye13 said:

I need a reliable 250 club. I hated my hybrid and swapped it out for a a driving iron - Sub70 2 iron with a hybrid shaft in it. Can't hit the damn thing.

You also hit the ball harder than I do, but a 4W or 5W wouldn't work for you here?

Aside, as someone new to hybrids, I'd thought the point of the numbering system was to denote which iron they were to replace.  I.e., can't gap your 3-iron from your 4?  Get a 3-hybrid.

So I do, and find that the sucker does not go 5 MPH or 12-15 yds further than my 4-iron, but closer to 10 MPH and 20-25 yds further.  LOL.

Edited by Jayjay_theweim_guy

Adding another tee only club to your bag will give you a gap somewhere.  I prefer a 3 wood to the driving iron for this reason.  I can still hit it off the deck.  In your scenario I'm hitting my 7 wood hard. 

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 2i AD DI 105X / 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - '02 Rossie White Hot

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

It would seem a 17° 2-Hybrid would be in order here as I feel you should be able to drop it in that range. Otherwise, time to get better with the 3-Iron. 😄 😄

• Like 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

Callaway UW

I had a 2 driving iron in the bag. However I could not stop it on a green or hit it from a semi poor lie. UW hits high floating bombs from all over the golf course.

• Like 2

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

240 is 5 wood

I have bought and sold so many 2 irons over the years. But I've finally kicked the habit. They look cool and are fun to play around with, but it's a one-trick pony, and it's not even that great at that one trick. I can hit a lazy five right down the middle of any fairway that goes as far as 2 iron swinging out of my shoes. And forget about hitting into greens. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 08.75 - Tour AD VF 6x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 - Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR2 22.00 - Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T100 5i 6i 7i 8i 9i – X100

Titleist SM9 46F 50F 54S 60M – S400

Titleist Pro V1 – Mezz.1 Broomstick

Soft cut 8 iron. 🤣

• Haha 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I recently added the new king tec 19* hybrid to my bag and it’s been outstanding.  Never really played one until now.  It’s a perfect club from 225-240.

I’ve played all sorts of driving irons over the years and I love them!  Just learned how to play a hybrid and now I’m wondering why I have not made the change sooner.

Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x 

Srixon   ZxU mkii 4i   Modus Ghost Stiff 

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

1 hour ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

It would seem a 17° 2-Hybrid would be in order here as I feel you should be able to drop it in that range. Otherwise, time to get better with the 3-Iron. 😄 😄

I haven't hit in a couple of months, but I'm playing better. I'll be taking the 3-iron out for a test drive tonight: who knows? If I could hit it well, it probably could replace the 4-iron in the bag if I just choke down when I need 220 and not longer. 

44 minutes ago, uglande said:

240 is 5 wood

I have bought and sold so many 2 irons over the years. But I've finally kicked the habit. They look cool and are fun to play around with, but it's a one-trick pony, and it's not even that great at that one trick. I can hit a lazy five right down the middle of any fairway that goes as far as 2 iron swinging out of my shoes. And forget about hitting into greens. 

Would a 5-wood give me more accuracy than my hybrid? That's the issue: I need something high enough with enough spin for stopping power when called for, but something uber accurate when I have to find a fairway. In wind, the hybrid is not my friend. 

3 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

The issue is that I really need a 230-245 fairway club in my bag.

This is the classic 2i/driving iron versus 5W/hybrid conundrum. It sounds like you really make your hay with the hybrid into par 5s. I would keep that in the bag and learn to hit a lower tee shot with your longest iron. It is probably easier to figure that out because you are hitting from a tee on a perfectly level tee box, versus a fairway or rough (hybrid). Trust yourself and figure that out instead of compromising another strength of your game.

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

4W| TM V Steel 16.5* DG S300

2i | Ben Hogan ‘99 Apex DG S300

3-P| Maxfli DP-801 DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Maxfli TM-11

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

On most days, I play a strong 3w (13.5*) and a 4w (16.5*) and a Cally X Forged UT 3i (21*).  On windy days, I'll swap out the 3+ and 4w for a traditionally lofted 3w (15*) and a UT 2i (18*).  Unless I have a bad lie, I'm plenty confident I can carry the 3i 215-220, the 4w 235-240 and the 3w 240-245.  I'm much more inconsistent on the carry for the 3+ and 2i, so I've just accepted my limitations, and I don't go for those greens unless I have a great lie and no trouble to carry.  Honestly, I make more birdies laying up to the fairway 25 yds short of the green than I do putting it in the greenside bunker.  

Best advice I'd give is, you can't carry 15 clubs, so play to the strengths of the 14 clubs you do have.  For me, it's drop the 2i in favor of a higher lofted fairway wood.  I've found on holes where I want to use the 2i (into the wind or tight, short-ish par 4), the 3i isn't that much of a difference.  Maybe I'll have a 9i into the green instead of a PW.  Big deal, right?

• Like 1

Truth be told - it all depends on how far you hit your clubs and if you can reliably hit them off the tee and deck. 

I've gone through all the iterations one could imagine.

Driver 3w, 3H, 4i

Driver 3w 2H 4i

Driver 3w, 5w, 4i

Driver, 2H, 4i

Driver, 5w, UW, 4i

Driver, 5w, 2i, 4i

Driver 5w, 3i, 4i

Driver, 5w, 2i, 4H, 5i

etc

Sounds like we hit the ball similar distances. What I play 75% of the time is:

Driver

5w - 265 total

3i - 235 total

For me, and unfortunately for most 2i is a one trick pony. I only bag it when I'm playing a golf course with a large number of short and tight par 4s. I opt into that and don't have a dedicated 240 club in that set up because I'm leveraging my odds. The reality of it is though, most scenarios where you would hit 2i.. a 4i isn't leaving that poor of a result.

I think, based on what you said, your best option is to find and put in play a 2H, something with a smaller head that won't balloon on you.

Rotate the following:

Callaway AI Smoke TD Max 9* Denali Black 60gm 6.5

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1