Odyssey Ai-ONE: the real deal..?

Mikee_j

27 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The last time I owned an Evnroll it claimed the face self-corrected for putts starting left or right of your intended line.  I don't remember it addressing the distance control issue.

The gear effect was a bonus, but the distance consistency was the main feature.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Look, I’m all about being leery of golf club marketing these days. But to claim the performance difference is explained by a few grams difference in head weight was too laughable not to call out. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

41 minutes ago, coreyhr said:

Look, I’m all about being leery of golf club marketing these days. But to claim the performance difference is explained by a few grams difference in head weight was too laughable not to call out. 

It's not about head weight, it's about the variable thickness of the insert. This might also be marketing bs as well, but we need to establish that this tech is not an MOI thing or a weight thing. .

• Like 2

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

No one is saying that other brands haven't tried or achieved this before, but from the early testing it appears these Odyssey ai-one putters do achieve what their marketing is saying, which is a rare thing in golf.

And it does it differently to Evnroll who simply dampen the centre.

I’m looking forward to trying the blade models, as I’ve been looking for a blade with some tech that actually makes a performance difference to my traditional milled blades

40 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

I think there’s a 21% chance you can see the test data from the “21% better” testing.

I think there's a 21% chance you live in Karsten Solheim land with a 56% chance of you wanting to move away from the heat... 😁

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

7 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I don't think NCW ever had that on their putters. Unless I missed something cause I follow them closely. 

Ahh ok.  I remember they have been using 3D printing to achieve very high moi.  I thought they had a model that 3D printed a metal face that varied in thickness but they never did. Amazing looking putters though, with great tech

Just now, roundersmitty said:

Ahh ok.  I remember they have been using 3D printing to achieve very high moi.  I thought they had a model that 3D printed a metal face that varied in thickness but they never did. Amazing looking putters though, with great tech

Yeah mostly an MOI focus with their stuff but I'd be curious about doing something like this since they print the heads but there isn't much mass in the material itself a lot comes from external weighting. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

1 hour ago, Mikee_j said:

No one is saying that other brands haven't tried or achieved this before, but from the early testing it appears these Odyssey ai-one putters do achieve what their marketing is saying, which is a rare thing in golf.

And it does it differently to Evnroll who simply dampen the centre.

How dampening the center of Envroll's club face helps achieving distance consistency? 

I'm really interested and confused about Envroll and this Ai-ONE tech. 

2 minutes ago, Medson said:

How dampening the center of Envroll's club face helps achieving distance consistency? 

Look up the Ai-ONE putters on line.  You can actually see the tech through a little window on the back of most of the putters.

There was more difference front to back between some of the three putts in one set than there was the averages across the face. I'd like to see them do this high/low on the face as well as toe heel. 

Given that they say AI designed the shape of the inserts, I wonder if at some point they could take a specific player and have them hit lots of putts, look at where their mistakes tend to be and then build an insert specifically for that player that fixes their common errors. For example, if someone cuts across it a bit and the more they cut across it the more out of the toe they hit it, so they make the toe stronger to make up for that. I can see that being a "custom fitting a putter built exactly for you" for like $5k or something like that. 

• Like 4

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

28 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

There was more difference front to back between some of the three putts in one set than there was the averages across the face. I'd like to see them do this high/low on the face as well as toe heel. 

Given that they say AI designed the shape of the inserts, I wonder if at some point they could take a specific player and have them hit lots of putts, look at where their mistakes tend to be and then build an insert specifically for that player that fixes their common errors.

Or do something like the Taylormade FTX wedges from a year ago with "swappable" AI back panels as strokes change (e.g. those who miss more to the toe/heel/cut across).

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

1 hour ago, Ty_Webb said:

Given that they say AI designed the shape of the inserts, I wonder if at some point they could take a specific player and have them hit lots of putts, look at where their mistakes tend to be and then build an insert specifically for that player that fixes their common errors. For example, if someone cuts across it a bit and the more they cut across it the more out of the toe they hit it, so they make the toe stronger to make up for that. I can see that being a "custom fitting a putter built exactly for you" for like $5k or something like that. 

I see you're on board with the price.  But it could be a possibility for a touring pro...

1 hour ago, CactusGolf said:

Or do something like the Taylormade FTX wedges from a year ago with "swappable" AI back panels as strokes change (e.g. those who miss more to the toe/heel/cut across).

Problem with that is people would need to get a fitting to see their issue and many issues are often fixed during the fitting. The other issue is many people won't bother getting fit for a putter so they won't sell. What they're doing just covers all issues best they can.

Lefty - WITB Thread

If Odyssey paid me to play their putters, I would make the switch too.

I dont see how this will change the putting game. Unless the putter can aim, control speed, and read greens, I dont see how this is a) new tech b) game changing tech 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

My Milled 3t arrived yesterday and first impressions are very positive. Looks very premium and feels perfect to me on the putting mat. I've learned to reserve final judgement until you get a putter outside because they can sound/feel drastically different outdoors. But I'm excited about this one. I've never used a Stroke Lab or had any urge to really, but I will say that this thing feels really well balanced and it's easy to put a repeatable stroke on it. I know many are disappointed with the stock grip on these, but I've always enjoyed the Winn/Odyssey grips.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

10 hours ago, 5hort5tuff said:

If Odyssey paid me to play their putters, I would make the switch too.

I dont see how this will change the putting game. Unless the putter can aim, control speed, and read greens, I dont see how this is a) new tech b) game changing tech 

Yeah I rolled a few of these last week, even the Ai-One felt half decent with the aluminum backing on the insert, the milled felt better to me. If I was a Callaway staffer I could play one of these pending a custom made one obviously. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

12 hours ago, 5hort5tuff said:

Not sure anyone has said this?

But what is clear from the videos in this thread is that they have managed to reduce distance dispersion from centre to off centre strikes. To some this will be enough of an edge to make it worthwhile. Others... meh. Its cool to see some real advances in putter tech and for once (this is extremely rare) the putter performance seems to match the marketing BS campaign

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

...then I will add the custom shaft, grip, and head cover😅

I did the custom Toulon black stepless 2.0 shaft and the dark blue Odyssey pistol (TEN) grip.  At least for those items there was no upcharge.  You want my headcover?  I don't believe in putter headcovers.

I am intrigued with the positive reviews, and will continue to read more.  I am interested in the new insert in the Jailbird that comes out in February.  Also lots of Tour seeding to see what gets put in play (new vs. old and WH vs Milled inserts).

My big picture thought is:  What is next?  Is there going to be a "better" AI version in a year or two like Jailbreak?  There have been different White Hot insert versions obviously, so won't be mad or surprised if it is an improvement.

Since it was mentioned...I am one of the Evnroll ex-users.  Spent a very short time in my bag due to the feel, sound, and distance control.  Great if it works for others though!

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I did the custom Toulon black stepless 2.0 shaft and the dark blue Odyssey pistol (TEN) grip.  At least for those items there was no upcharge.  You want my headcover?  I don't believe in putter headcovers.

No head cover on your putter?  Blasphemy!  😂  Appreciate the generous offer, though I will pass.

I was mostly joking.  I forgot about the Toulon shaft, and will likely go that route.  Eventually I may insert a Nippon shaft so it matches my gamer for direct comparison. 

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

45 minutes ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

No head cover on your putter?  Blasphemy!  😂  Appreciate the generous offer, though I will pass.

I was mostly joking.  I forgot about the Toulon shaft, and will likely go that route.  Eventually I may insert a Nippon shaft so it matches my gamer for direct comparison. 

No headcover.  I am "Quick Draw McGraw" around the greens.  No messing with a silly headcover (and the headcover they sent is really hard to get on and off).  Though I do use headcovers on my woods.

I had a chance to roll these day at Golftown.  They are so very similar to last years Odyssey release. They are obviously blue, but very similar. The are good quality no doubt. 

I found they all sat very flat in terms if lie angle.  What really bothered me was the fact that you can see the white face insert very clearly at address. Not sure if this is by design...or maybe they are slightly higher loft.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

27 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said:

I found they all sat very flat in terms if lie angle.  What really bothered me was the fact that you can see the white face insert very clearly at address. Not sure if this is by design...or maybe they are slightly higher loft.

I've found that with most Odyssey putters I can see the insert from address for as long as I can remember.  I've been using the Versa from 2023.

Interesting comment about the flat lie angle.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

25 minutes ago, KimmerBH said:

Work on having a consistent stroke and put time in on the practice green. That's what'll make you hole more putts. Buying a $500 putter won't magically make you good lol. 

That only does so much if you don't have a putter you can aim or roll well.

Plus how many people actually practice putting? Lets be honest people are ripping driver on the range.

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 11/14/2023 at 3:26 AM, Medson said:

Take a close look at the Evnroll's grooves - by varying the depth and width they aim to vary the energy transfer, so a putt off centre will roll out to almost the same distance as one hit at dead centre on the face with same speed.

Cleveland also have or had the same idea recently by having carefully designed varying face milling.

so, it's not a new concept - just a new design idea to achieve what Evnroll and others have had available for years already.

But, it does have "AI" in the name, so that's just marketing gold right there 😁

I don't have an Evnroll putter, by the way but here's their explanation:-

https://evnroll.ca/pages/technology

Edited by coops
  • Like 1

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134