2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Odyssey Ai-ONE: the real deal..?

Mikee_j

8 hours ago, CircleC29 said:

I hope they drop the Ai inserts in the Versa lineup. Would be cool if they did it with the new blue colorway. 

Jailbird versa will be released in February.  I can imagine a wider Versa release for 2025, and random Tour versions before then.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

On 11/22/2023 at 11:05 PM, Mr. Grumpy said:

The milled is so damn sexy, but I can see a case for the WH version. Save some dough... 

This was my thought and the way I went. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

2 hours ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

Jailbird versa will be released in February.  I can imagine a wider Versa release for 2025, and random Tour versions before then.

I saw that. Weird that they are just releasing the one versa. Would like to give the mini jb a try if there was a slant neck option. I use the three t-s but can't do the flange line alignment. Top line or no line for me.

Hopefully they get released before '25.

• Like 1

Contents of bag subject to change...frequently 

Hey folks. I debated starting a new thread for this, but lets try in here first. 

I'm looking at ordering an Ai-ONE Milled #7 DB. Browsing through the options for grips, I noticed they can put a longer than normal Superstroke on it (https://superstrokeusa.com/products/zenergy-xl-tour-2-plus-putter-grips), which is designed for counterbalanced putters. Not quite the 17" grip Ricky has, but similar idea. It got me thinking about building my own counterbalanced putter with the new Ai-ONE heads.

With the Stroke Lab shafts there's a weight plug in the end of the shaft. In theory I could order say, an inch or so longer than my spec of 35" so the weight is above my hands and match that with the longer grip. What I'm concerned with is swingweight. Is this going to throw things off? Will I need to use a bunch of lead tape? Order the Odyssey weight kit that's yet to be released?

I know in theory a heavier grip is going to make the head feel lighter, but I don't know how heavy the stock grip is or how having extra weight above my hands would cause additional effects. 

14 minutes ago, remlap13 said:

Hey folks. I debated starting a new thread for this, but lets try in here first. 

I'm looking at ordering an Ai-ONE Milled #7 DB. Browsing through the options for grips, I noticed they can put a longer than normal Superstroke on it (https://superstrokeusa.com/products/zenergy-xl-tour-2-plus-putter-grips), which is designed for counterbalanced putters. Not quite the 17" grip Ricky has, but similar idea. It got me thinking about building my own counterbalanced putter with the new Ai-ONE heads.

With the Stroke Lab shafts there's a weight plug in the end of the shaft. In theory I could order say, an inch or so longer than my spec of 35" so the weight is above my hands and match that with the longer grip. What I'm concerned with is swingweight. Is this going to throw things off? Will I need to use a bunch of lead tape? Order the Odyssey weight kit that's yet to be released?

I know in theory a heavier grip is going to make the head feel lighter, but I don't know how heavy the stock grip is or how having extra weight above my hands would cause additional effects. 

Don't worry about SW with putters especially CB ones as they're probably off the charts anyways. Build it to what feels good for you. 

Can use lead tape to start but in a few months you'll probably see weights from Billy Bob golf or Chinese companies on AliExpress and eBay. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

51 minutes ago, remlap13 said:

You can order it with the grip loose in the box and just use an air compressor to put it on/off until you find the balance you want. Easy to mess around with extensions as well. I’d suggest a Swing W scale and a postal scale to keep track of what’s doing where, if you like that kinda thing. It is addictive. 

There’s some difference in the counterweight above your hands and at your hands, it’s fun to experiment with. 

42 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Don't worry about SW with putters especially CB ones as they're probably off the charts anyways. Build it to what feels good for you

Totally disagree here. The trick with CB is just to reference the position of where your hands will be if it was a normal length putter vs. extended. 14” from the end of the grip doesn’t tell you much and with long grips won’t even fit in some scales. 

2 minutes ago, BHI 99 said:

Totally disagree here. The trick with CB is just to reference the position of where your hands will be if it was a normal length putter vs. extended. 14” from the end of the grip doesn’t tell you much and with long grips won’t even fit in some scales. 

Do you mind explaining the bolded part a bit more? 

Over the last two weeks I have compared a number of putters - including the AI and Trihot.  I probably spent a good 8 hours putting.   I was intrigued by the AI putter technology since I've been struggling with distance control lately.  My current putter is the Mizuno OMOI type 3.  The course I play normally play in Arizona has slow greens.  Over the last 20 rounds my putting has gone from 1.45 per hole to 1.7 per hole (basically a 3 stroke gain).  When I play fast greens, I usually don't have an issue with distance control.  However - with the slow greens any putt over 30 feet needed to be hit much harder which resulted in a tempo disruption. 

This was my analysis hitting mostly the Rossie and Seven styles of putters.   The Trihot had hot spots at times and the feel off the face was a bit harsher.   I liked the AI milled version - softer off the face than my Mizuno.  I thought the consistency was nice with roll and distance control.  The price tag of $450 plus having to buy the weight kits (if I needed them) would be a bit steep.    The AI non-milled version was interesting.  The heads are slightly larger than the White Hot OG and the insert doesn't go across the face to the same degree.  I also liked the extra two outside lines on the Rossie OG head. I compared the White Hot OG and AI non-milled by hitting puts on the heel, center, and toe.   For me, the White Hot was a bit softer and I liked the feedback better than the AI.    Alignment to the hole was better with the White Hot.  With the OG I sank some long putts and edged the hole on many others.  The AI dispersion was slightly better (2"-6" on three putt averages).   

I ended up getting the White Hot OG Rossie S (with interchangeable weights).    I'm sure the AI non-milled could be dialed in better with time, grip change, shaft change, and/or weight change.  Personally,  I thought the technology gain for me on the AI non-milled would be minor given the cost.   I will say that the AI is one nice looking putter.  If the PVD finish holds up on the AI Odyssey will have a hit.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, remlap13 said:

Do you mind explaining the bolded part a bit more? 

So SW is measured off a fulcrum that’s 14” from the end of grip. Once you extend the length of the shaft and add a longer grip, that 14” reference no longer matters. Say you typically use a 34” putter. If you use a 38” CB putter, your hands are still going to be in the same position relative to the head as your 34” putter, you just have more grip (and weight) above them. 

2 hours ago, BHI 99 said:

So SW is measured off a fulcrum that’s 14” from the end of grip. Once you extend the length of the shaft and add a longer grip, that 14” reference no longer matters. Say you typically use a 34” putter. If you use a 38” CB putter, your hands are still going to be in the same position relative to the head as your 34” putter, you just have more grip (and weight) above them. 

Understood! It was the SW measurement point that was throwing me off, as I didn't know that was the measure point. 

My next issue is finding a way to order a 37" or 38" putter from Callaway. When you configure it on their site the highest they offer is 36". I wonder if 36" would be sufficient for the experiment. I've used a 34" for the past few years and recently got fit and told I should go 35". 

10 minutes ago, remlap13 said:

Understood! It was the SW measurement point that was throwing me off, as I didn't know that was the measure point. 

My next issue is finding a way to order a 37" or 38" putter from Callaway. When you configure it on their site the highest they offer is 36". I wonder if 36" would be sufficient for the experiment. I've used a 34" for the past few years and recently got fit and told I should go 35". 

You can get an extension from Dicks for $2.50. I use archery hot melt to hold them in place. They’re not going anywhere. Those putters really feel “alive” with the weight above your hands. Kinda wild.  

19 minutes ago, BHI 99 said:

You can get an extension from Dicks for $2.50. I use archery hot melt to hold them in place. They’re not going anywhere. Those putters really feel “alive” with the weight above your hands. Kinda wild.  

Ahh OK. Just pop off the grip and attach it to the end. I guess if I go with the Stroke Lab shaft I'd need to get that weight out of there too. OR go with the stepless black Toulon shaft and not have to worry... Just add some of my own weight afterwards, potentially even getting one of those grip weights that screws into the Super Stroke grips.

Decisions decisions! What a can of worms this has opened up for me haha. 

7 minutes ago, remlap13 said:

Ahh OK. Just pop off the grip and attach it to the end. I guess if I go with the Stroke Lab shaft I'd need to get that weight out of there too. OR go with the stepless black Toulon shaft and not have to worry... Just add some of my own weight afterwards, potentially even getting one of those grip weights that screws into the Super Stroke grips.

Decisions decisions! What a can of worms this has opened up for me haha. 

Only when you start writing it down! 🤣

I think that new Stroke Lab is all steel so probably easier to work with than the graphite ones. I’ve got a Stroke Lab 7 in the classifieds I was going to fiddle with, but decided I’d rather deal with steel. The Super Stroke weights are by far the easiest way to play with it. I’ve used fishing weights, 1/2” hitch pins and who knows what else. I’ve been kinda way down the rabbit hole with putters lately just figuring out what I like. One thing for certain is it’s pretty fun if you like to tinker with cause and effect kinda stuff. At the end of the day you’ll end up with what you really like and a better idea of why you like it. 

It’s addictive. 

A6155979-6EBC-4F99-AE6A-5E48F57EB7CA.jpeg

1 hour ago, BHI 99 said:

Only when you start writing it down! 🤣

I think that new Stroke Lab is all steel so probably easier to work with than the graphite ones. I’ve got a Stroke Lab 7 in the classifieds I was going to fiddle with, but decided I’d rather deal with steel. The Super Stroke weights are by far the easiest way to play with it. I’ve used fishing weights, 1/2” hitch pins and who knows what else. I’ve been kinda way down the rabbit hole with putters lately just figuring out what I like. One thing for certain is it’s pretty fun if you like to tinker with cause and effect kinda stuff. At the end of the day you’ll end up with what you really like and a better idea of why you like it. 

It’s addictive. 

I'm thinking the play is going 36" with the Toulon steel shaft (it's black, looks  sweet, and I won't have to deal with the weight plug) and the longer Super Stroke grip. Then play around with the Super Stroke weights and a possible shaft extension. See what feels best. 

39 minutes ago, remlap13 said:

I'm thinking the play is going 36" with the Toulon steel shaft (it's black, looks  sweet, and I won't have to deal with the weight plug) and the longer Super Stroke grip. Then play around with the Super Stroke weights and a possible shaft extension. See what feels best. 

I like that call. I play at 34” and have been thinking of doing a 36” OG WH 7 the same way, then fiddling with the head weight and see what shakes out. Curious how it works out for you!

22 hours ago, t2490jh said:

The Trihot had hot spots at times and the feel off the face was a bit harsher.   I liked the AI milled version - softer off the face than my Mizuno.  I thought the consistency was nice with roll and distance control. 

So here's the deal.  I ordered the Odyssey Ai ONE doublewide putter about 3 weeks ago.  I've stroked over 900 putts now... on the carpet upstairs, on the practice green and on the course.  It does what it says it'll do.

I hit a lot of greens in regulation (10 - 14), but that means many approach putts are 35 feet +.   I'll average 3-4 three-putts per round.  This putter has moved that to 1-2 three putts.  So I'm gaining 2 strokes per round.  I'll take that any day... even at a much higher price.

If I can gain 1 stroke for every $1000 I spend on equipment sign me up.  

Hmmm... if I can gain 10 strokes on my average for $10,000 my kid doesn't need to go to Harvard... the state college will be just fine... 😁

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Haha 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

My AI-One came today and I went with the Seven 7 with overside AI One grip at 35.25" as Odyssey consistently comes in 1/4" shorter than Taylormade.

So far, it feels significantly better than the Versa White Hot putter that I used, a little firmer.  Almost reminded me of the feeling of the original White Hot from the early 2000s.

Will have to do a lot of practicing to see if there's an improvement.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Does anyone know how the size of the AI One (non-milled) 7CH head compares to the 7CH in the White Hot OG line?

From eyeballing the AI One in store, I think it's a bit bigger than the White Hot OG one, but I'm going off memory for the OG. It's just fractionally smaller front-to-back than the 5K 7CH, which I recall being noticeably larger than the White Hot OG.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

39 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

Does anyone know how the size of the AI One (non-milled) 7CH head compares to the 7CH in the White Hot OG line?

From eyeballing the AI One in store, I think it's a bit bigger than the White Hot OG one, but I'm going off memory for the OG. It's just fractionally smaller front-to-back than the 5K 7CH, which I recall being noticeably larger than the White Hot OG.

I can only speak to the Rossie, but I was surprised how much bigger it is than my Rahm OG Rossie when I first saw the Ai One Rossie in person. I love the look of my OG Rossie, but didn't like how large the Ai One Rossie looks. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

On 11/29/2023 at 10:28 PM, JAM01 said:

UST All In retro shaft into the Ai-One double wide. I sawed the shaft about 5 inches up to get to the correct diameter, 7 inches was too loose. Blue Superstroke Zenergy Tour 3 installed. Looks great, roll is top notch, major stability.  Just love this shaft in my putters. 

Did you use the stock SL shaft or the stepless black 2.0 shaft?