2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TSA inspection

Phebus

For whatever it's worth, for the past two years or so they haven't left that "we searched your bag" slip of paper that TSA used to leave in my travel bag every single time for many years. Doesn't mean they aren't manually searching it, just maybe that they stopped leaving that slip of paper. 

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1

So a good number of years ago, I was traveling with my clubs and they did the scanning while I watched (it was a small airport). They pulled my bag from the scanner for inspection because something was awry. They were a little excited.

They dug in every pocket. Pulled stuff out, wiped things down and scanned the wipes, etc... . So I asked the guy after it was cleared what the deal was. He asked if I had played recently and often. I said yes. He said to minimize the chances of a full inspection that I should clean the exterior of my bag before traveling (soap and water, alcohol wipedown, etc...). What frequently happens is the scanners detect the fertilizers used by courses and interpret that detection as a homemade bomb (diesel + fertilizer = bomb).

Don't know if the newer scanners still have this feature or not, but something to consider.

Edited by ThinkingPlus
Spelling correction...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Phebus said:

With the new scanning and detection systems, does the TSA routinely open and inspect travel bags? I know in the past they did, but I haven’t traveled with clubs in years. Flying out Tuesday to Hawaii from California. 

Every time I’ve traveled with my clubs they have been opened and inspected.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

2 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

So a good number of years ago, I was traveling with my clubs and they did the scanning while I watched (it was a small airport). They pulled my bag from the scanner for inspection because something was awry. They were a little excited.

They dug in every pocket. Pulled stuff out, wiped things down and scanned the wipes, etc... . So I asked the guy after it was cleared what the deal was. He asked if I had played recently and often. I said yes. He said to minimize the chances of a full inspection that I should clean the exterior of my bag before traveling (soap and water, alcohol wipedown, etc...). What frequently happens is the scanners detect the fertilizers used by courses and interpret that detection as a homemade bomb (diesel + fertilizer = bomb).

Don't know if the newer scanners still have this feature or not, but something to consider.

That's interesting and great advice that makes a lot of sense. I know my hardshell SKB travel case always gets opened with the little inspection left note in there, so I wonder if that has ever happened to me without knowing it. Traveling with alcohol wipes in the bag for that now 👍

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

13 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

That's interesting and great advice that makes a lot of sense. I know my hardshell SKB travel case always gets opened with the little inspection left note in there, so I wonder if that has ever happened to me without knowing it. Traveling with alcohol wipes in the bag for that now 👍

Speaking of SKB…I would never use anything else.  Shortly after 9/11 I traveled with my SKB hard shell case and the TSA guys in their infinite wisdom decided to pry open all of my (unlocked) locks. Breaking all three clasps in the process.  
 After getting nowhere with TSA over damages I contacted SKB and explained to them what had happened.  They replaced the case free of charge with the TSA locks under “warranty” even though it was most certainly NOT their products fault.

Yes, the hard shell cases are a bit clumsier to haul around the airport and in rental cars but nothing protects you clubs better.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

My bag showed up with the lock missing on my flight at week ago I doubt it just fell off so they probably looked.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

11 minutes ago, st1800e said:

If it’s not a TSA approved lock, they’ll cut it off.  

I literally bought it at the airport before my flight cause the one I had was too small and same brand I've flown with before. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

8 minutes ago, st1800e said:

But was it TSA approved?   If so maybe it was defective or you didn’t quite get it to latch?  

Yes I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't. 

Yes I tested it before I locked it. 

Yes I made sure it was latched. 

To be fair all those locks suck, probably got smacked, opened up and fell off. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

10 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Yes I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't. 

Yes I tested it before I locked it. 

Yes I made sure it was latched. 

To be fair all those locks suck, probably got smacked, opened up and fell off. 

Just covering all the bases.  Yep, lost or forgotten by the TSA.  

I’ve had one on my bag for years, probably 50 trips.  And inspected a few times.  Still on the bag and working.  I make sure it’s under the cross strap, or at the very top under the handle on my club glove.  

To the original question.   Sometimes the TSA sees something odd, so they open it up.  On a couple occasions they found a lighter, and removed it. Other times they check and find nothing and the note says that.  

On the last trip they found a Swiss Army knife in a buddies carry-on. He’d thought he lost it some time ago, but it was stuck in some nook in his bag, and had been there on 5 previous trips, and not detected.  

So it’s all hit or miss.  

I've traveled with my SKB hard case with the latches locked with no problems. They did break a wheel and SKB replaced it without a question.

I also have a Swiss Army Knife that loops onto my car key ring .  In a scanner it looks exactly like a key. It's gone through TSA a ton of times without one question. I always forget I'm carrying it, it's been on my key ring for decades. 

2 hours ago, 596 said:

I've traveled with my SKB hard case with the latches locked with no problems. They did break a wheel and SKB replaced it without a question.

I also have a Swiss Army Knife that loops onto my car key ring .  In a scanner it looks exactly like a key. It's gone through TSA a ton of times without one question. I always forget I'm carrying it, it's been on my key ring for decades. 

I've had a few Swiss Army knives (small ones) abandoned at screening.  Thankfully, within Canada, small items like that aren't banned any more.  I do pack them in my luggage for all international flights though.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

On 11/18/2023 at 10:23 AM, Phebus said:

With the new scanning and detection systems, does the TSA routinely open and inspect travel bags? I know in the past they did, but I haven’t traveled with clubs in years. Flying out Tuesday to Hawaii from California. 

Yes, they still inspect.  We go to Maui 1–2 times a year for golf, and just got back from a 3-week trip there.  TSA inspected both our ClubGlove bags, knowing our business cards are attached to ID tags.  If they scan and something is not identifiable, they inspect.  Both of us use TSA complaint combo locks on them, so they can open using their key and easily re-lock.   Make sure you use a TSA compliant lock.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I honestly don't see the use of a lock.  Every luggage handler on the planet that wants to steal something will have the ability to open the lock no matter what.  You might as well use a zip-tie.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

On 11/18/2023 at 1:51 PM, ThinkingPlus said:

Wow - now that's a seriously interesting thought that flat out never occurred to me. Walking around any course that has been fertilized any time in the recent past almost couldn't help but leave residual NPK on the bag. Which, naturally, would be something TSA devices are actually very specifically designed to look for. (Curious that the fundamentals of golf course maintenance and bomb making are identical ... which now makes my blow-up hole triple on 14 yesterday make perfect sense ... 🤣.)

When you think about it, courses spray fertilizer all over large acreages of grass - in fact, most decent courses probably fertilize their fairways and greens more than the average homeowner does their lawn - as their grass after all is, to some extent, their "product". Golfers then walk or ride through that landscape for five or six miles a round, often with a bit of wind involved - with bags usually containing some sort of fabric (i.e., a surface things can cling to). Truth is, anyone that plays even a moderate amount of golf quite likely has a bag that would pop positive on a TSA swab test (remember, they are looking for even trace amounts). 

I consider that thought, and put it next to all the commenters in this thread saying "my bag almost always gets inspected", and think hhhhmmm ... maybe this isn't a coincidence.

All that said? A few years ago I discovered ShipSticks, and haven't lugged clubs through an airport since. A bit more expensive, but way more convenient, and it avoids the TSA and airline baggage handlers altogether. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

1 minute ago, bobfoster said:

Wow - now that's a seriously interesting thought that flat out never occurred to me. Walking around any course that has been fertilized any time in the recent past almost couldn't help but leave residual NPK on the bag. Which, naturally, would be something TSA devices are actually very specifically designed to look for. (Curious that the fundamentals of golf course maintenance and bomb making are identical ... which now makes my blow-up hole triple on 14 yesterday make perfect sense ... 🤣.)

When you think about it, courses spray fertilizer all over large acreages of grass - in fact, most decent courses probably fertilize their fairways and greens more than the average homeowner does their lawn - as their grass after all is, to some extent, their "product". Golfers then walk or ride through that landscape for five or six miles a round, often with a bit of wind involved - with bags usually containing some sort of fabric (i.e., a surface things can cling to). Truth is, anyone that plays even a moderate amount of golf quite likely has a bag that would pop positive on a TSA swab test (remember, they are looking for even trace amounts). 

I consider that thought, and put it next to all the commenters in this thread saying "my bag almost always gets inspected", and think hhhhmmm ... maybe this isn't a coincidence.

All that said? A few years ago I discovered ShipSticks, and haven't lugged clubs through an airport since. A bit more expensive, but way more convenient, and it avoids the TSA and airline baggage handlers altogether. 

Yep. I was pretty well stunned, too. It was so obvious, but it would have never occurred to me. Shoes are a problem as well. Who washes the bottoms of their shoes? Brush off the dirt for sure, but clean with soap and water???

I like the ship separate options as well. Did that once and it was easy and convenient. 

1 hour ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Yep. I was pretty well stunned, too. It was so obvious, but it would have never occurred to me. Shoes are a problem as well. Who washes the bottoms of their shoes? Brush off the dirt for sure, but clean with soap and water???

I like the ship separate options as well. Did that once and it was easy and convenient. 

Must say, I used to dread traveling with my clubs. Shipping was almost a revelation. Travel is almost always business/pleasure (for me anyway). In fact, got back today to NJ, from 10 days in Sarasota/Tampa. Had a pretty full suitcase (needed for business and casual clothes), and dragging that through Newark in addition to my clubs just would have been a serious pain (not to mention that I simply do not really trust airlines). 

With ShipSticks? FedEx picked them up at my front door a couple days before I left, and they were waiting at my hotel (and delivered to my room) when I got there. They'll be arriving back at my front door Wednesday. Further, it comes with $2K insurance, and for all of $10 I upped that to $3K, so on the off chance anything happens, I'm dealing with ShipSticks and an insurance policy, and not trying the nearly hopeless task of fighting with United's baggage department. 

I love my clubs. It's a present I give them ... is my way of buying them a First Class ticket ... 😉

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I took a trip in September on AA out of DFW.  When I took my golf bag over to the oversized baggage drop off, they opened it up right away for a manual inspection.

On the way back a gate agent asked me if I had a rangefinder in the bag.  She said it doesn't usually cause an issue, but that I should pack it in my carry on in the future because of the lithium battery it uses.  I hadn't thought about that before when they ask if your check-in luggage has lithium ion batteries.

• Like 3