Why are golfers so sensitive to noise during their swing?

just don't get why so many golfers have a tough time mentally with this stuff. I mean, I never chat or make noise when someone's teeing off, but it's kinda weird how some folks quickly blame a chirping bird or someone talking for their bad shot. Come on, it's your swing, right?

Are some golfers really that easily distracted by noise?

I'm a big Tiger fan but I never understood why he would throw a tantrum as well when it's been heavily documented about the crap Earl used to do to distract him. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 8* Ventus Black 6x

Titleist TS2 16.5* Ventus Black 7x

Mizuno MP-32 3-PW S300

Titleist Vokey SM6 52*F, 56*F, 60*S
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 34/340g

Many people struggle concentrating on all the variables needed to hit the ball, and want to play well, and so rabbit ears develop.   I know a few people that need absolute quiet over the ball.   Having played many sports, I got used to noise and turning it off in my head. 

Though not obvious to those around me, the one thing that still annoys me is someone walking directly behind me to the back of the tee, as I address the ball.  Seems everyone who does that likes to scratch his azz or pick his nose in my back swing...grr.  I tell them I do not need help watching my ball, and move off to the side.

It depends on a person's life, maybe even their job and what they are accustomed to.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I think some guys are just looking for excuses for their poor shots.  If they snatch the club inside, swing like gorilla and have a batting average of under .100, what difference does noise make, especially to hackers? 

Tripp Isenhour killed a bird while filming an instructional video.  The bird should have been quiet when he was setting up to hit shots.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pro-golfers-shot-kills-a-protected-birdie/

I saw a guy back off a couple times on a tee shot because a crow was gawking behind him.  What do you do, ask the crow to be silent during your stroke?  Blatant double standard, I think.

Don't forget also the common problem of guys on a neighboring hole playing music loudly.  Tell them to mute their speaker?

I cannot stand hackers with rabbit ears.  I would not play with them.

16 minutes ago, McMunch said:

Funny. I've always thought this. Nobody complains about noise until they send one into the trees.

On one of my last rounds this past season, there were 2 women yapping away.  They were on another fairway with fairly dense bush between us and them.  We could still hear them yammering away like they would never consider using their "inside voice."  My buddy yelled at them to shut the F up.  I wanted them to continue, because one of them had gotten pregnant and I wanted to know how and who did the deed.  I never did find out.

• Haha 3

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I personally, never had any issues with noise, many times id hit when my playing partners would be conversating and they'd apologize for it but i honestly was so zoned in I couldn't tell and always said don't worry about it you talking didn't cause me to hook it 30 yards, it was a poor swing. But I have however had moments some instant noise can catch me off guard in the middle of my swing which i think is pretty normal for most. like a phone going off at the top of my swing, something like that.

I feel the people who really have an issue with any small noise around them just look to blame anything but themselves for poor swings. Some of the videos ive seen online of these people I can't fathom how some have such a big ego they can't admit that they need to work on their game and focus on that more than when the next bird is gonna chirp or some tees bouncing around in a guys pocket. 

3 hours ago, Socrates said:

It really depends on how or when the noise happens.  If all is nice and quiet and halfway through your backswing a noise happens (bird, club rattle, lawnmower, idiot golfer) that can be unsettling and cause one to flinch.  If noise is happening all the time (like construction or a leaf blower), it doesn't or shouldn't bother anyone.

Same thing with movement.  Someone decides to walk behind you as you are swinging.  Or a dolt in a power car decides they need to drive up or around you while you hit. That's downright annoying.  

It's the random stuff that happens when you aren't expecting it to happen, that gets you. 

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

the one thing that still annoys me is someone walking directly behind me to the back of the tee, as I address the ball.  Seems everyone who does that likes to scratch his azz or pick his nose in my back swing...grr.  I tell them I do not need help watching my ball, and move off to the side.

I am one of those golfers that is sensitive to my surroundings. Sound and sight.

It's the noise when I don't expect it that gets me. I seem to pull my head to where the noise is coming from. Birds chirping, lawn mowers etc that are constant around me doesn't bother me. The guy that just yelled "get in the hole" from the next fairway in the middle of my swing always gets me. One guy in our group talks a lot during my swing and it affects my game.

The other thing that bothers me is what @Pepperturbo mentions. The same guy that talks a lot in my group will stand behind me. I have had words with this guy before about standing behind me and moving around during my swing. I have great peripheral vision so I pick up movement very easily. Here again seeing this guys movement causes me to pull off the ball.

• Like 1

If it's just consistent ambient noise, it doesn't really bother me. Like others have mentioned, it's the sudden unexpected noise that happens mid swing. My best example of this- I'm playing a solo round with my brother walking the course with me. I oftentimes have an earbud in one ear playing sports talk radio or a podcast, but forgot it this time. I'm playing an approach shot on a par 5, the course is basically empty and it's a rural area, so it's pretty quiet, and right at the top of my backswing he belches. I ended flinching and hit a terrible shot. I doubt I would have stuck it to 6 inches or anything, but the result probably wouldn't have been as bad as it was.

Edited by Roejye
Typo

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

7 hours ago, nikegolfer93 said:

Not bothered by a constant din, but a sudden noise , yes, or someone talking and then they start whispering as you address the ball, which can still be heard….

Cant they just button it for 10 seconds?   

Everyone is built different, some more sensitive than others, but 10 seconds of silence is too much to ask?  

Yes, I’m going to get piled on, with macho bravado, but where is the courtesy and etiquette?  

Look up hyperacusis.  

• Like 3

If you are concentrating on a swing key/move that is the only thing working,
a distraction can make you forget that and blow the shot.   

I think if someone is a etiquette aficionado, they may be bothered by distractions more 
than those who have no concentration to disrupt.    I believe that distractions from repeat 
offenders are also noticed more, especially if they have been warned often.   

You have probably played with some guys that you hardly know they are there when you are hitting, 
and others that couldn't be a worse distraction if they tried.      

• Like 2

Many golfers are mentally soft and love to make excuses for everything that goes wrong.

• Haha 1

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

18 hours ago, nikegolfer93 said:

just don't get why so many golfers have a tough time mentally with this stuff. I mean, I never chat or make noise when someone's teeing off, but it's kinda weird how some folks quickly blame a chirping bird or someone talking for their bad shot. Come on, it's your swing, right?

I'm a big Tiger fan but I never understood why he would throw a tantrum as well when it's been heavily documented about the crap Earl used to do to distract him. 

Some are, most aren’t, no revelation there, “golfers” generally aren’t other than rude behavior.

Carl’s Golfland ads are hilarious, but not because they represent most days out on the course. 

I think the true source of the aggravation is the annoyance that someone is not being considerate when they move or make a noise during your swing.

I realize that being considerate of others has gone completely out of style, but it would be nice if we could have more of it on our golf courses.

And yes, if I can hear your music, you aren't being considerate.  And your response that you don't care tells us all we need to know about you.  Better watch yourself because that will bite you somewhere other than the golf course.  With a spouse, an employer, when you encounter road rage, in a bar...hopefully you get the picture. 

• Like 4

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

12 hours ago, Greenie said:

Birds chirping, lawn mowers etc that are constant around me doesn't bother me.

Why not birds chirping?  If I demand complete silence, birds should be no exception.  Golfers should be allowed to back off and restart their preshot routines no matter what, and the slow-play penalty should never apply in the case of a chirping bird.

Constant noise I understand.  Bubba Watson at the Ryder Cup, though his need for noise on the first tee did not help his embarrassing performance.  How many points did he win?

Edited by EmperorPenguin

13 hours ago, Greenie said:

I am one of those golfers that is sensitive to my surroundings. Sound and sight.

It's the noise when I don't expect it that gets me. I seem to pull my head to where the noise is coming from. Birds chirping, lawn mowers etc that are constant around me doesn't bother me. The guy that just yelled "get in the hole" from the next fairway in the middle of my swing always gets me. One guy in our group talks a lot during my swing and it affects my game.

The other thing that bothers me is what @Pepperturbo mentions. The same guy that talks a lot in my group will stand behind me. I have had words with this guy before about standing behind me and moving around during my swing. I have great peripheral vision so I pick up movement very easily. Here again seeing this guys movement causes me to pull off the ball.

I’m close to this.  Maintenance crew noise doesn’t bother me nor does neighborhood noise or even other groups noise(except the music thing).

It's noise and movement from my own group that bothers me.  

Course etiquette seems to be a lost art to some players.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

It’s a distraction. You’re hyper-focused on the ball & BAM noise/movement takes that focus away.  

It’s definitely something that can and should be practiced.  I learned the hard way while coaching high school kids.  I’m immune to it now.  Was just reminded of this Thursday when indoor winter simulator league started.  It’s a bar setting so random noises pop up all the time.  It’s great practice

In the meantime, I just yelled at one of my kids downstairs to stop whistling - small noises in a quiet room drives me nuts.  Like pen clicks in my frickin’ ear.  Or tapping....  STOP TAPPING!!! Chewing with your mouth open, the sound of plastic bags...  F@CK M3!!!

Misophonia is real 

Thanks for listening

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

19 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Never got it,  I get so focused when I'm in my shot that a bomb could go off and I wouldn't notice it.  That's just me tho.

Same here. Only exception might be an air horn in close proximity during my backswing. No other noise - planes, cars, golf carts, maintenance people using machines, animals, people in the group talking, people farting, etc. - bothers me one bit, I usually don't even notice.

I used to play with a guy who would carry on a conversation with you and talk during his own backswing.

It seems to me that some people do not quite understand the role of ambient noise and the "other" noise.

Any continuous noise, even of variable volume, is not a problem for majority of golfers. But people starting to talk, cough, sneeze, or any such noise that comes as a surprise is prone to distract a large portion of golfers.

• Like 2

One recent rando was playing music from his phone,  talking on his phone,  stepping all over lines, and yet glaring at us while he went through his  routine on the tee.  🤣

I'm generally not bothered by much and I try to be quiet and stand still while people hit but I don't care for those that have unreasonable expectations of where I stand,  my degree of stillness,  etc. 

• Like 1

Reacting to a sudden loud noise doesn’t mean you are soft or lack concentration. It’s just a reflex, and there is only so much you can do to minimize that natural response. 

If we are talking about something more steady, like a playing partner with zero situational awareness who just has to finish that awesome story or tell that hilarious joke….I find it rude but I won’t stop, I just tee it up, play on, and let him keep bumping gums. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I find for myself, having 3 people stand there in complete silence intently focused on me is much more likely to result in me getting in my head and making a mess of the shot. I like to hit my tee shot while people are still milling around by their bags getting a ball, having a drink ect. 

Quite often in men's league a guy we play with will say to me "hey aren't you going to tee off?" and I tell him I already did while you guys weren't paying attention hahaha

• Like 3

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler