Etiquette when finding items while on the (public) course. Two recent stories

20 hours ago, Ferguson said:

There are a few things I learned from this thread.  By all accounts, the OP is a sturdy man and could carry himself at a skirmish outside of a bar.  His recent experiences have taught me to gather my items before proceeding to the next shot. 

What I can't get my arms around is the term slapping a double bogey.  Never heard that, ever.   Also, I am still having trouble with the conditioning and oiling process of a golf glove. 

I'm appreciative that I am not the only one that had this thought.  I have never conditioned/oiled a golf glove, nor do I know anyone that has either.  Baseball gloves, of course.  Am I missing something that I should be doing?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, j.b.newton said:

I'm appreciative that I am not the only one that had this thought.  I have never conditioned/oiled a golf glove, nor do I know anyone that has either.  Baseball gloves, of course.  Am I missing something that I should be doing?

That's what she said.

This is from the FJ website.  Must be a common care practice for all glove makers, right? 

Footjoy Glove Care: 

image.png.d3c41de4768c4e2eeac98fc8fce53f9a.png

image.png

• Haha 2

I've heard plenty of people say, they can't afford to lose premium $4-$5 balls, or gloves that cost $30+ ea, so their etiquette say play cheap balls, wear cheap gloves, and play cheap clubs, knowing they lose sh** all the time. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

On 1/24/2024 at 8:01 PM, skaarsgard said:

So, I'll tell a story of two recent occasions that still have me scratching my head.   Would love to hear your thoughts.

A few weekends back (the day before the College Football National Championship) I was in Houston and went out to play an expensive round as a single on a public course I don't often play.  I got paired with a couple of execs from Washington University in town for the game - cool/ fun pairing.  It was an average Sunday game - groups every ten minutes but it moved fairly well aside for a couple of the difficult par 3's where a minor congestion appeared.   Behind us was a drunk/ rowdy group of mid-fifties guys with a couple sporting U. Michigan Sweaters/ hats that hit up on us a couple times while we were waiting for the group ahead to clear.  Nothing big, just a couple of accidents.

In the south, it's normal to rotate your glove every 3-6 holes for humidity.  So I have three with me every round and mix them up frequently.  After the ninth or so hole, I lost one glove that I didn't realize until about 2 holes later (must have flown out the back of the cart).  After teeing up a par 5 where we'd have to wait, I drove back to the prior hole to see if that group found my glove.   Here's how that interaction went.

I drove in the direction of the hole where one was lining up his putt (waiting a fair distance and letting him putt before disturbing).  I pulled up to the green area and asked the guys if they had seen my glove.  This wasn't a normal Kirkland glove but a very premium navy blue Cuater glove that is probably the softest glove I have ever used due to conditioning and oiling it every round or two so I can imagine what they thought when finding it.   

After I asked if someone had seen the glove, one guy on the left in Michigan clothes responded with "yes"... then a long silence.  After about 10-15 seconds, I asked, "Can you tell me where?"  The same guy pointed to a mid-fifties looking guy saying he found it.   Meanwhile the guy who found it said nothing the whole time.  I responded, "Right on... Thanks!"  and proceeded to walk to the green.  While walking up the man who responded (all Michigan clothes) asked me if I went to Michigan and during this time the man with the glove pulled it out of his front left pocket.  When I responded in a laughing manner, "Nah man, I went to Cal" the guy with my glove stopped walking towards me to show it was in his pocket.   Completely confused by seeing the glove in his pocket, I sarcastically asked, "were you wearing the glove!?!"   He raised his voice and responded, "Hold On!" then turned around and was doing something with the glove.  Still confused at the entire situation I waited to see him then turn around and have my glove sticking out of his trousers.  This man unzipped his pants, put my glove there, pointed at his crouch and demanded me to "Come get your glove".  There was a good 50 feet between us at this point.

I'm not a little man.   Taller than most, I look like military, police, football player, wrestler all at the same time... now mostly non-confrontational I don't often have encounters like this unless some drunk gets brave or tries to impress his friends.  I was dumbfounded, shocked, disturbed, unprepared, angered, rageful - all these thoughts and emotions, all at once - and unfortunately, my responses were very loud and aggressively stern.  "WTF is the matter with you!?!   Are you f-ing retarded!?!   I'm not your friend, you don't know me."  all while walking directly at him and unknowingly clenching my fists.   He had the nerve to tell me "You need to lighten up - it's all fun and games."   I could see all three men with putters in their hands on the green and realized this wasn't the time (no time is right to fight in golf, no time) so at that point I just wanted to end the situation and leave.   He realized I wasn't in the fun and games mood and handed me my glove instead of me having to get it.   I slapped and took my glove from his apologetically limp hand, called him an A-hole and walked away.  

On the way to the cart, I wanted blood.  I wanted to tip his cart, throw his clubs, piss on his equipment, go back and slap this man... whatever, I wasn't prepared for the encounter I just had.  Finally, civility kicked in and I left the situation.

For the remainder of the round they played very slow in what seemed intentionally keeping a full hole between us.   However, for the rest of that round, I was wound up.  In fact for the next few days, I couldn't stop thinking about what happened - I was completely bothered by the whole encounter.  

One, is it normal to wear someone else's glove?   I'd never...   I could understand those needing equipment maybe bagging the thing and playing dumb, but to wear the glove immediately and then want to embarrass the person who lost it all seems so foreign to me.  Still, wearing someone else's glove?

Two, it has always seemed to me the proper thing to do when finding items on the course goes like this:   you leave it in your cart for people who return, you head up to the groups in front of you attempting to return their items and lastly, return to the pro shop at the end of the round.   I've succumbed to the fact that dropped range finders often get bagged and hidden immediately, everything else, generally gets returned on the course.  Nice new stuff has a good chance to end up in someone's trunk at a public course vs. private obviously but never during these interactions should there get to a point of fighting... that's not what golfing is about.

Thoughts?

And yeah, I kept the glove but won't ever wear it again... should just throw it away.   

Without reading another response in this thread I wholeheartedly agree with you.  I’m very much the same as you describe. Very easy going , until  you flip that  switch.  And I don’t do foolishness with strangers. None.  I’ll keep it short and end with this. Some folks are still breathing because of the kindness of others.  This is one such situation.  

• Like 4

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

17 hours ago, Ferguson said:

That's what she said.

This is from the FJ website.  Must be a common care practice for all glove makers, right? 

Footjoy Glove Care: 

image.png.d3c41de4768c4e2eeac98fc8fce53f9a.png

image.png

Good grief. As if golf doesn't take enough time.

"Honey, you're finally home."

"Yeah, sorry,  I did my glove routine at the club today"🤡

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Crazy.

I thought to myself, "Self, would a person that prefers a conditioned and well-oiled glove also prefer the performance benefits of Sqairz shoes?"   I'm leaning toward a yes.  

And if you thought the care instructions for gloves to be a bit much, see the care instructions for Sqairz Shoes.   Under the FAQ, Sqairz shoes will not support their claims of "improved performance" unless the shoes are "properly maintained." 

Hard enough being a golfer - users of Sqairz shoes have to be part-time cobblers too?

How To Clean Golf Shoes

December 04, 2020

How To Clean Golf Shoes

How To Clean Golf Shoes

Hello golfers! Cleaning your golf shoes after every game is a simple way to extend the life of your shoes, get the most out of your investment and always look sharp on the golf course. This guide will show you how to clean your golf shoes, no matter what kind of shoe you own.

How Not To Clean Your Golf Shoes

To start, it is important to know what not to do when cleaning your shoes. We also recommend that you read the care label in your shoes to find out if they are machine washable and to check for any special cleaning instructions.

Unless your care label states that you can machine wash your shoes it is never recommended to clean them in a washing machine or dishwasher. These will get your shoes clean, but they can also reduce the life of your shoes and cause damage.

It is also a bad idea to clean leather or synthetic shoes with liquid dish soaps because they can leave excess residue on the shoe, which can cause drying and cracking of the material. It is also important to not leave your golf shoes in the heat to avoid damaging the material, so never leave your shoes in your car or outside when the weather is hot.

How To Clean Leather Golf Shoes

leather golf shoes

Leather is the most common type of material used to make golf shoes due to its resistance to stretching and waterproof quality. If your golf shoe is made of leather (or made mostly of leather), the following steps should be taken to clean your shoes.

• After every game use an old toothbrush to gently remove dirt and stains from the entire shoe (including the sole and spikes)
  • Wipe down the shoe with a gentle mixture of soap and water (caution: don’t use liquid dish soap, don’t use a lot of soap and don’t get the shoes too wet)
  • Let the shoes air dry at room temperature for several hours
  • Examine the shoes after each round for damage like tears, gouges and worn down soles, heels or toes. If you find damage on your shoes you should bring them to a shoe repair shop as soon as possible.
  • Occasionally you should use leather cream to clean and maintain the leather on the shoes. We recommend Skidmore’s Original Leather Cream for fantastic results every time.
Skidmore’s Original Leather Cream

Available on Amazon

$21.98 for 1 container

CLICK HERE TO BUY

If you clean your leather shoes after every round of play and occasionally treat them with leather cream they should last you for several years.

How To Clean Synthetic Golf Shoes

synthetic golf shoes

Synthetic golf shoes are typically made of polyester and tend to be lighter and thinner than leather. However, cleaning these shoes can often be less work as they don’t need leather cream and can usually be machine washed.

If you own synthetic golf shoes, you should first read the care label on your shoe tongue and follow any instructions listed on the label. Typically, you will gently scrub any dirt and stains off your shoes using a gentle mixture of soap and water and wipe them down with a clean towel until the shoe is clean and allow them to air dry in a room temperature environment.

You can also purchase a shoe cleaning kit, like the Ultimate Shoe Care Kit by Combat Cleaner that comes with a bottle of shoe cleaner, a shoe deodorizer spray and a water and oil resistant shoe shield spray. If you get a shoe cleaning kit like this, begin by spraying the soles of the shoes with the shoe cleaner spray, then gently scrub the soles with a mixture of water and wipe with a clean towel until the soles are completely clean. Next, spray the top and sides of the shoes with the shoe cleaning spray and gently scrub until all dirt and stains are removed, then wipe with a towel until all spray is removed. After this, spray the inside of the shoes a few times to remove any odors. Finally, spray the outside of the shoes with the shoe shield spray and allow the shoes to dry for several hours in a room temperature environment. This is a great way to keep your shoes clean without risking damage from a washing machine. These kinds of shoe cleaning kits can also be used on mesh and canvas golf shoes.

Ultimate Shoe Care Kit by Combat Cleaner

Available on Amazon

$16.88 for 1 kit

CLICK HERE TO BUY

How To Clean Suede Golf Shoes

suede golf shoes

Suede is leather that is made from the underside of animal skin (usually lamb, calf, goat or deer) instead of the outside like normal leather. The skin is rubbed by a machine during processing which creates a smooth and velvety feel to the material. There are also many types of golf shoes made of suedette, or imitation suede, which is typically made from polyester or rayon. Regardless of whether you own authentic or imitation suede, the care for both types of shoes is the same.

With suede golf shoes, you can submerge and soak them in a solution of water and suede cleaner and very gently brush them with a special suede brush. We recommend using KIWI Suede & Nubuck Cleaner and the Shacke Suede & Nubuck 4-Way Leather Brush Cleaner to clean your suede golf shoes as they are very effective and delicate on suede. Wipe them with a clean towel until all dirt and stains are removed. Allow the shoes to dry in a room temperature environment for several hours.

KIWI Suede & Nubuck Cleaner

Available on Amazon

$8.98 for 1 bottle

CLICK HERE TO BUY

Shacke Suede & Nubuck 4-Way Leather Brush Cleaner

Available on Amazon

$6.99 for 1 brush

CLICK HERE TO BUY

How To Clean Mesh Golf Shoes

mesh golf shoes

Mesh shoes are easy to recognize due to the many small holes in their surface that allows maximum breathability for golfers on a hot day. Cleaning mesh shoes is similar to how you clean synthetic shoes, but with some key differences.

With mesh golf shoes, it’s best to soak them in warm water with plain dish soap before using a soft bristled brush to remove dirt and stains. You should use a soft cloth to wipe them clean and to ensure no soap residue is left behind. Afterwards, let them air dry in a room temperature environment for several hours away from direct sunlight and heat.

You can also wash mesh shoes in your washing machine if the care label inside the shoe allows it. Before washing your mesh shoes in the washing machine remove the shoe laces and inner soles if they are removable. Place the shoes into a washing bag beforehand to prevent damage and loud banging as they spin around in the wash. We recommend placing your shoes in Kimmama Shoe Wash Bags while they wash. Turn the washing machine on its gentle or delicate cycle and use cold water when washing. Afterwards, remove the shoes from the shoe bag and allow them to dry in a room temperature environment for several hours.

Kimmama Shoe Wash Bags

Available on Amazon

$12.99 for 2 bags

CLICK HERE TO BUY

How To Clean Canvas Golf Shoes

canvas golf shoes

In recent years several brands of canvas golf shoes have sprung up, bringing the comfort of a boat shoe onto the golf course. To clean your canvas golf shoes, follow these steps.

• We recommend hand washing your canvas shoes, as this is the gentlest way to clean them. Fill up a sink or bucket with warm water and put in a spoonful of non-biological laundry detergent (we recommend Tide Simply Clean & Fresh Laundry Detergent).
  • Remove the shoe laces from the shoes and set them aside.
  • Use a toothbrush or soft bristled brush and gently scrub the shoes until all dirt and stains are gone.
  • Carefully dip the surface of the shoes in the water for a couple of seconds or rinse them with a small amount of water from the sink.
  • Use a towel to dry the shoes and squeeze all the water out of the canvas.
  • Stuff the inside of the shoes with paper towels or newspaper and leave the shoes in a dry environment at room temperature for several hours until dry.
  • Clean the laces by gently scrubbing them with your brush until all dirt and stains are gone.
  • Gently wring your laces out into a towel and hang them up in a dry environment at room temperature for several hours until they are dry.
  • Caution: avoid using a hair dryer or any other kind of heat source to dry your shoes as these could damage your shoes.
Tide Simply Clean & Fresh Laundry Detergent

Available on Amazon

$23.99 for 1 bottle

CLICK HERE TO BUY

How To Clean White Golf Shoes

If you have white golf shoes you know how difficult it can be to keep them looking new. It isn’t enough to just clean white golf shoes, you need to have a special tool with you every time you play. We recommend using LaRossa Golf White Shoe Whitener to keep your white golf shoes looking as white as possible. Simply twist off the cap and use the built-in sponge applicator and apply a small amount to any discolored spot on your shoes and you’ll instantly notice the difference. You should keep your shoe whitener with you every time you play and apply it to your shoes after you clean them and they finish drying.

LaRossa Golf White Shoe Whitener

Available on Amazon

$22.36 for 1 bottle

CLICK HERE TO BUY

How To Clean SQAIRZ Golf Shoes

SQAIRZ golf shoes

SQAIRZ Golf Shoes are made of a premium synthetic leather and should be cleaned differently than normal synthetic golf shoes. SQAIRZ recommends the following 2 options for cleaning our golf shoes:

Cleaning Option 1

• Spray the shoes with Shout Stain Remover.
  • Clean off the dirt with a damp towel (make sure the towel is clean before getting it wet).
  • Wipe down the shoe with a dry towel (make sure the towel is clean before use).

Cleaning Option 2

• Wipe down the shoes with any kind of mild wipe like Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, Wet Ones Antibacterial Hand Wipes or Huggies Natural Care Sensitive Baby Wipes.
  • Clean off any liquids left by the wipes.
  • Use a dry towel to wipe down the shoes (make sure the towel is clean).

SQAIRZ does not recommend using liquid soaps on our shoes, which can cause drying and cracking of the material. Also, please be aware: SQAIRZ golf shoes are waterproof, but you should avoid saturating your shoes and keep a towel handy on the course to wipe them dry should they get excessively wet.

SQAIRZ also sells the world’s best golf socks, specifically designed for playing golf. Check out our socks and other accessories by clicking here.

Products For Cleaning Golf Shoes

There are many good products to choose from online for cleaning your golf shoes, but SQAIRZ recommends the following products.

OP after losing his glove and unsuccessfully grilling several groups about his forgotten SQAIRZ. 

IMG_3749.jpeg

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Houston is the armpit of Texas. Sorry you had 2 bad experiences dealing with trashy golfers. Not sure I would drive back if I lost a glove or two, but the idiots playing behind you were out of line. That’s probably good you didn’t try to fight either of the groups because you were outnumbered and I assume everybody in Texas (where I’m from) has a gun. DFW/ Austin/ San Antonio people are way more civilized so sorry about those 2 garbage experiences. 

• Like 2

WTF is going on? Some younger guy rode up on me this weekend looking for his "lost glove."

Can't say I've ever seen this before. 

Who loses a glove?

Beyond that, who - having lost a glove - goes back to look for it?

Might as well look for your lost Kleenex...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

1 hour ago, jholz said:

WTF is going on? Some younger guy rode up on me this weekend looking for his "lost glove."

Can't say I've ever seen this before. 

Who loses a glove?

Beyond that, who - having lost a glove - goes back to look for it?

Might as well look for your lost Kleenex...

What kind of Kleenex you using? A decent glove is $20+ ... you guys must be rolling in the dough if you're just letting $20 go without a second thought. (And yet hackers will spend an eternity looking for a $4 golf ball).

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

53 minutes ago, tatertot said:

What kind of Kleenex you using? A decent glove is $20+ ... you guys must be rolling in the dough if you're just letting $20 go without a second thought. (And yet hackers will spend an eternity looking for a $4 golf ball).

On the couple times I can remember losing a golf glove, I was pissed at myself, but zero chance I’m going to stop play, hold everyone up, and walk back searching for a glove. No way. I realize if the OP had a cart it might not take as long.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

On 1/25/2024 at 5:38 AM, mat562 said:

A few years back I lost my watch on the first tee of my club. It was my own fault, in that I turned up to the tee for a casual fourball a bit late and had to take off my watch, get my 1-iron out of the bag (that's how long ago it was), pull on my glove, all whilst being heckled by my friends. I absent-mindedly plopped my watch down onto the ball pocket of my carry bag and teed off. I then picked up my bag and strode off down the fairway, unknowingly having dislodged the watch which would have fallen onto the closely mown teeing ground in what would have been full view if I'd had a reason to turn around.

Long story short, I realised at the end of the round that my watch was missing, but quickly surmised what had happened. I hung around for the following group, but they said they hadn't seen a watch. I let my friend, the assistant pro know what had happened, assuming that someone would hand it in in due course. Maybe the following group had teed off from the forward tees, I thought. Someone will have teed off from the back set at some point, and they're bound to have found it. I was lucky enough to play at a nice course, with the usual assortment of affluent members, so I assumed it would be handed in before long because, well, that's what I would do. You guessed it.

It still bothers me to this day that I never got it back. Some people are just arseholes. Or thieves.

There is a turkey up in turkey heaven who just had his question answered. That turkey used to watch the lawnmovers go back and forth every day, until one day, he heard a moderate metallic “bang” come from the mower… and the last thing that turkey ever remembered was something called “Rolex” was hurdling right at his head. That turkey was always so confused where that metallic blob came from. 

My funny story from this year. I'm in my mid 30s and maybe some of you recall, at a certain point HS kids to about 25 all look the same. You just lose the ability to tell

Anyway found a Volkey by the 4th green, put it in my bag thinking ill drop it in the clubhouse post round. Im getting ready to tee up and this "kid" with a hard seltzer is driving up my fairway. I wave the club at him, he comes and gets it and thanks me. 

He may have been 17 or 23, idk lol

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

5 hours ago, Maine Golfer said:

My funny story from this year. I'm in my mid 30s and maybe some of you recall, at a certain point HS kids to about 25 all look the same. You just lose the ability to tell

Anyway found a Volkey by the 4th green, put it in my bag thinking ill drop it in the clubhouse post round. Im getting ready to tee up and this "kid" with a hard seltzer is driving up my fairway. I wave the club at him, he comes and gets it and thanks me. 

He may have been 17 or 23, idk lol

The look of relief when you wave the club as they are driving up is priceless.  It's the best thing that probably happened to the person that day.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

My friend goes back for Martini Tees when he forgets them on tee boxes. He usually doesn’t know until the next tee box and he’s a full time walker. 

Some gloves are $20, so I get going back for it. Martini tees? They are $1. I have like 30 of them in my bag. He could just have one of those but he insists on having “his” martini tee. 

He’s a weird dude.