Etiquette when finding items while on the (public) course. Two recent stories

14 hours ago, skaarsgard said:

Second story, this past Sunday also while in Houston, it was freezing cold.  Froze the night prior, playing in the low to mid 30's, I bought some cold weather FootJoy gloves to play with on the way to a course I had never tried before because they'd promise to have some of the fastest greens in all of Houston.   Figured I could practice in tough conditions and traveled an hour to this course.  

It wasn't terribly busy... mostly tons of locals from the early tee times and my "single" noon tee time had groups 8 holes ahead of me and only a two some behind me which allowed a good mixture of playing slow on a new course and practicing in freezing, hard pan conditions.   Was kind of stoked for the round.

After two holes slapping a double and single bogey, I knew the gloves weren't for me - they sucked - as they moved too much in the swing and my shots were erratic.   So, I played a normal glove and kept the warm glove on the off hand.   The extra front hand glove went into the cart.    

I noticed about ten holes later when it started getting colder, that new glove was missing.  So, I back tracked.   The group behind me were noobs and let others play through them. 

A random single walker appeared on the tee box behind me, asked him if he had seen it and it was a no. 

The next group I stumbled upon one man had my type glove on but it was his opposite hand.  His main hand had a regular glove.  When I asked him if he had seen my glove he said no these were his.  I was confused because it looked new but the glove hand he showed me was the same off hand glove I was wearing.   So I knew he was telling the truth but did show me under his main hand glove he was wearing the warm glove.   Mentioned having the gloves for two years.   Anyway, I learned something new - gotta get a very large leather glove and wear it over the warm glove.... nice.

I thanked him and continued back tracking.  I finally found the culprits.  They were on a tee box... for etiquette, kept a safe distance and let them tee off before approaching.   Once I started approaching, they looked at me and took off.   I finally caught them when they stopped by their errant tee shots near the woods and asked the dreaded question:  "Hey guys, I dropped my glove earlier - have you seen it?"   The passenger responded with a "Nuh uh" and I looked at the driver for his response - he then held up his left hand and said, "This glove?  Is THIS your glove?"   Again, just two weeks later I was dumbfounded... what is going on here?    I responded with, "Yeah, that's my glove"

He took it off and handed it to me without any unnecessary ruckus in which I replied sarcastically (obviously still jaded by my previous experience), "You've been wearing my glove this whole time?"  

His response was that he was "blessed to have found this warm glove on a freezing day".    I wanted to talk about etiquette and that being weird but instead drove away scratching my head...

WHAT is it with finding / wearing people's gloves?  Obviously this is another public course and the unwritten rules are going to be unknown to many but some things seem obvious. 

Is this just a Houston thing?   

A public course thing?

What is it?

Maybe times are changing and I'm growing into a carmudgeon. 

Anyway, I am going to wash this thing in the washer because it was new and wasn't (from what I can tell) on someone's c--k.

Thanks for spending time hearing my rants...

Low to mind 30s?  In January we call that a heatwave.

1 hour ago, Mascot said:

Thank you!

I've heard WRXers can hit it 310-315 once they hit 5k comments and display their full bag description in their signature

Only 4.9k more comments to go...

The fact that you're bringing such high quality content at an early stage speaks volume about your future here and your potential distance from the tee.  Also, listing your bag's contents is optional unless of course you carry at least two conditioned and well-oiled blue gloves.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

I don't pick up lost towels or gloves.  Maybe a winter mitten but not a leather glove.  

2 hours ago, Velcade said:

Getting in a fight over something minor is silly.  That guy doesn't mean anything to you why let him ruin the rest of your day? 

Should he have put the glove in his pants, no.  Should you have left your glove, no.  I would have thrown it away and learned to track my possessions better. Or piss all over the glove and leave it for him to pick up and wear again... 

I agree with these two comments. If I see a lost towel or glove, I am not picking it up. I am leaving it right where it is for the person to come back for it. Anything else I'll hold till the end of the 9 in the cart then turn into the clubhouse. 

I also really agree with what @Velcade said.

It's a golf glove. While they can be a bit pricey for what they are the reality is they are a relatively cheap and disposable part of our golf equipment. Guy was a jerk, but I am not fighting or getting pissed off about a glove I forgot a few holes back.

Especially if I had 2 other extras on me like the OP did, there isn't any way I am taking that glove back haha

Edited by Flip4000
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

The fact that you're bringing such high quality content at an early stage speaks volume about your future here and your potential distance from the tee.  Also, listing your bag's contents is optional unless of course you carry at least two conditioned and well-oiled blue gloves.   

By no means am I looking for sympathy on a forum with random people as I can handle myself and accept responsibility for my actions.  the intention of the post was to question picking up another person’s glove on a course, wearing it and common human decency.

for those posters in this thread who focus on my gloves i have two thoughts:

1)  reading is fundamental.  if telling me to better track my gloves is your takeaway from the event, well… i’ll just leave it there

2)  and those are trying to point out the fact that if i didn’t leave my glove none of this would happen is the same mentality many use blaming rape victims for being at the wrong place or how they were dressed

obviously i’m not putting these two scenarios in even the same ballpark but the observations and assignment of blame here is very similar.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

9 minutes ago, skaarsgard said:

By no means am I looking for sympathy on a forum with random people as I can handle myself and accept responsibility for my actions.  the intention of the post was to question picking up another person’s glove on a course, wearing it and common human decency.

for those posters in this thread who focus on my gloves i have two thoughts:

1)  reading is fundamental.  if telling me to better track my gloves is your takeaway from the event, well… i’ll just leave it there

2)  and those are trying to point out the fact that if i didn’t leave my glove none of this would happen is the same mentality many use blaming rape victims for being at the wrong place or how they were dressed

obviously i’m not putting these two scenarios in even the same ballpark but the observations and assignment of blame here is very similar.

Those = Ferguson  

Then why bring up the scenarios?    

You dropped the gloves and then expect people to keep them safe and secure until you return.

C'mon, are you serious?

We're talking about regular people at a public venue.  Not all people in the golf world are nice and sober - just look at the Waste Management Phoenix Open.  Those are a representative subset of the people playing behind you at some public venues.  The very people that routinely engage in acts involving the use of a blue golf glove as a banana hammock.  

• Like 2

I wouldn’t wear a glove I found, but being almost 70 , very little surprises me. Putting a glove, well oiled or not, in proximity to one’s crotch is not a question of human decency, but is a question of one human’s decency, and definitely crossed the line. That being said,  I wouldn’t have wanted that glove back, nor would I have been tempted to do damage to his gear. Don’t ever lower yourself to the level of behavior of an idiot. Don’t ruin your day, or potentially your future because someone did something stupid with a golf glove.

• Like 3

A lot to unpack, id never put on someone else gloves if found, id hold onto it and see if the owner is near by. 

Guy who tried to get you to grab it from his pants is weird, as a joke with friends I get it but a complete stranger? Yeah that's just being an a**, trying to make a fool out of you in front of his group.

24 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Yet you had to say it and no, nothing similar.

Not that it matters to you but you've lost me at this point - was interesting and entertaining until it wasn't - that comparison has no place in the discussion and is really uncalled for.

yeah, i understand what you’re saying.  what i was trying to relate to is the psychology of blaming the victim for an event.  it’s a real phenomenon where we tell ourselves and others what we would have done / not have done instead to mentally shield or prevent us from ever having to be in that situation in the future - it’s a self defense mechanism.

i knew what i was doing laying down that gauntlet (taboo subject) so will remove the comment if it makes others uncomfortable / not appropriate. 

wasn’t my intent to offend

Edited by skaarsgard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

NO pick up etiquette when it comes to gloves or dirty towels; regardless.   I leave them where they lie.  Equipment is another story.  Benefit of membership in an upscale club, nobody wants or needs to keep what's found.  What I've come to learn over the years is that some people, including a friend, will wear anyone's glove.  When my gloves show any degree or wear, it goes into a container, and when a buddy visits, he looks for gloves in that container.  Mind you, that man has more $$$ than God. LOL 

We were playing at a private club recently when my wife's expensive towel came loose from her bag.  She lost it until a club member drove up asking if anyone lost a towel.  She was happy, and so was I because otherwise, I'd have to foot the bill for her to fly to a certain island to get another. LOL 

Thing is, I have been playing this great game a lot, since the 90s, and NEVER lost anything important, except once I left a cigar holder on cart roof arm, so now buy them in bulk.  A few weeks back, we picked up multiple clubs, on multiple holes, left near the green by the same doofus playing in front of us.  LOL 

4 hours ago, Ferguson said:

To everyone else, why is it that we throw etiquette to the wind when it comes to golf balls?  

If a person picks up a golf ball while playing that is not his ball, that person is stealing, correct? 

The problem with errant golf balls, many times their owners don't bother to spend the time to find them. 

I am not into loitering about in the woods or rough looking for errant golf balls.  I am in the fairway 99% of the time, enjoying my cigar, watching others scrounge around for balls that don't belong to them.  I asked a buddy recently what ball he plays, he said what he finds... LOL he wasn't kidding either. 

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Thanks for sharing those stories.  This could morph into "What's the oddest thing you have found on a course"?

The oddest thing I've found (didn't pick up, lol) was a pair of pink panties.  They were a few feet in the woods and yes, I was looking for my ball at the time.  I've also found weed on the tee box at two different courses, someone was probably bummed when they realized it was lost.

• Haha 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

Interesting OP, but let me ask you this:  What if a Woman had done the same thing with your glove? 

Same crotch move etc.

The story would have changed completely simply on the basis of whether a person owned a p**** or not.

It's a real dome-scratcher.

🤔

🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Greenie said:

The question here is what did you do with the weed? Did you leave it where you found it,  put it in your golf bag so you could return it to its' owner if they came back looking for it, did you smoke it, or did you stick it down your pants? lol

What is the etiquette for found weed?

I left it but let the pro shop know in case someone was looking for it, lol.

• Like 2

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

There are a few things I learned from this thread.  By all accounts, the OP is a sturdy man and could carry himself at a skirmish outside of a bar.  His recent experiences have taught me to gather my items before proceeding to the next shot. 

What I can't get my arms around is the term slapping a double bogey.  Never heard that, ever.   Also, I am still having trouble with the conditioning and oiling process of a golf glove. 

I’m just trying to imagine….but failing…driving back and interrupting my round of golf over a glove.  Did the rest of your group just go on without you?  Did they just sit there and tie up the flow of the course?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

3 hours ago, Ferguson said:

There are a few things I learned from this thread.  By all accounts, the OP is a sturdy man and could carry himself at a skirmish outside of a bar.  His recent experiences have taught me to gather my items before proceeding to the next shot. 

What I can't get my arms around is the term slapping a double bogey.  Never heard that, ever.   Also, I am still having trouble with the conditioning and oiling process of a golf glove. 

Full transparency - I am laughing along with you all about the gloves.  In fact I’m like the rest of everyone else here, gloves are just gloves.   I have no attachment to them and certainly am not looking to fight over them.  These were just part of the story and likely the first time I have ever gone back for a lost glove.

re: the oiling of the glove.  Feel like I’m being baited here but I’ll play along… sometime during late fall I got caught in a Thunderstorm and the entire bag was drenched including two brand new non-white gloves.   Since they were new, I dried them out and after drying they were brittle garbage.   While cleaning the golf shoes (and please don’t focus on this, lol - I’m not the only one who cleans their shoes on this site) I thought I’d try to revive those gloves.  One was a blue Cuater and the other a Black Bionic.  The Bionic didn’t really take or repair well so it went into the practice pile.   The blue glove did - in came out better than new.  And since using it a couple times, added some baseball glove oil to when cleaning shoes and it has held up perfectly. 

This is the first and last time I will oil golf gloves.  It was an experiment that worked well and died with the story.  Just not worth spending that time on golf gloves - they’re easily replaceable.

I included the oiling/ conditioning of the glove in the original story because I was trying to add some reasoning as to why that dude made such a stink over it.   It baffled me as much as everyone else here talking about the glove.

And pace of play - backed up and waiting around, I had time to go back for it.   Had no idea it would ever have been an issue - lesson learned.

A couple of takeaways i have taken from this post, is that most of you have never forgotten a glove, or left a club on the course, left a rangefinder on your cart, but the fact that it does happen and it will happen and by some of the responses given, would you think its ok in any circumstance not to return something that is not yours?

• Like 1
Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

So much to unwind here…..some head-scratchers for sure.  

Oiling a golf glove has me puzzled. 🤔 

Halting play to go look for a wedge or range finder is bad enough. I hate when something gets left behind, but I don’t trust people to turn stuff in, so going back for a wedge or range finder….reckon you sort of have to if you want your property back. A headcover is awfully hard to justify slowing down play. A glove? Nope, I’m not going back for that, no way, no how, never, not even if I’m riding.

Now things get weird.

Picking up and using someone’s used golf glove? Not on your life! 🤢🤮

Putting that same glove on your crank and saying “come get it” is one of the craziest dang things I’ve heard on a golf course, ever!

Wanting to fight over that? Nope! Not today. Too much to lose, no chance. 

Chalk another one up to “reasons alcohol should be banned from the golf course.” Drunks are the worst. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

38 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

A couple of takeaways i have taken from this post, is that most of you have never forgotten a glove, or left a club on the course, left a rangefinder on your cart, but the fact that it does happen and it will happen and by some of the responses given, would you think its ok in any circumstance not to return something that is not yours?

?

You’re equating a lost glove to a rangefinder or club? Not even close to the same. 

To the OP, in scenario 1, I would absolutely do what that guy did. Especially if I saw someone driving back for a glove that we knew we picked up. I think you need to find a sense of humor. 

In the second scenario, if I didn’t have any cold weather gloves, and it was COLD outside, and I found a cold weather glove, I absolutely would pick it up and wear it to keep warm. This isn’t a surprise at all. If I dropped a mitten and went back to get it, I would 100% expect someone to be wearing it that had forgotten theirs. 

I also hit plenty of balls with clubs I find on the course before I return it. Don’t want me practicing with your clubs, don’t leave them lying around. 🙂

6 hours ago, bekgolf said:

Thanks for sharing those stories.  This could morph into "What's the oddest thing you have found on a course"?

The oddest thing I've found (didn't pick up, lol) was a pair of pink panties.  They were a few feet in the woods and yes, I was looking for my ball at the time.  I've also found weed on the tee box at two different courses, someone was probably bummed when they realized it was lost.

I've found thriving plot of weed not far off a tee box while taking a leak.  First guy sounds like a complete nut. I'd probably never go looking for a glove or pick one up but if I did look for one, and some fool acted like that..I'd be as baffled and angry as you probably.

Only picked up one towel in my life, it was from a major and it was well abandoned. I kept it but told the shop to call me if anyone came asking.  I still have it in the rotation after a decade at least.

I feel like I’m not looking hard enough for gloves now.  I don’t know if I’d drive that far back for a wedge.  It’s WRX, probably need some new grooves anyways.  That said, I’ve never had a glove that got that much attention and oiling.  If I invested that much time in a glove I’d be more likely to track it down I suppose.