QOTD: Should the PGA Show be open to the Public?

2»

Comments

• PulledabillPulledabill Members Posts: 334 ✭✭
    As fmuch as I would like to say yes, I have to let them do their business. It woukd be nice to have a day or two for the general public or a similar show for the consumer.

I was in a golf shop yesterday in Eugene and spoke to their clothing buyer. He said they havent gone in a number of years as thete is no reason to anymore especially since they have already bought for the year.

Oregon does have a show in a few weeks but its not much really. Prompts excitement for spring for sure.

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,076 ✭✭
    No. It's a trade show.
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,498 ClubWRX
    If the demand is there, 1st week all business, 2nd week public invited.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,684 ClubWRX
    What is B2B?
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • storm319storm319 Members Posts: 3,797 ✭✭

What is B2B?

Business to Business
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,684 ClubWRX
    storm319 wrote:

What is B2B?

Business to Business

Thank you.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,104 ClubWRX
    I don’t care so much about the PGA show, but I’d sure like to get into the ShotShow.

Does the PGA show have Booth Babes? If so I take back what I just said.
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,038 ✭✭
    No. They let the public in one year and it was a huge mistake.
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,778 ✭✭
    It would be fun to go, but all the stuff I'd want to see will be in the golf shops in the next few weeks. So it's a no.
  • youraway2youraway2 Just Old Sticks Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭
    edited Jan 26, 2019 8:06pm #41
    Of course, NO, if they did they would be selling "drop shipped" to the public and bypassing their industry customer. So, i make an appointment, buy a clothing line, sets of irons, wedges, and when the merchandise arrives, my retail customer tells me they got it cheaper at the show. I don't think this would be good at all.

In fact, I think attendance should be better screened.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G-400 Max, 10.5, Xtorsion[/font]
    PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
    PXG, 19-degree hybrid, ACCRA
    Cobra DWS Utility 19-degree
    CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
    0311 PXG, 5-AW, i70 Areotech Steel-fiber
    SW, 56 PXG
    Ping Nickel Anser II
  • bighitlamabighitlama ClubWRX Posts: 42
    RSinSG wrote:

I don’t care so much about the PGA show, but I’d sure like to get into the ShotShow.

Does the PGA show have Booth Babes? If so I take back what I just said.

The firearms industry has the NRA show, and you don't have to be an industry insider. I've been to both and the NRA show is a great alternative. Does anyone know if the golf industry has an annual show for the rest of us? If not, maybe it's time... I would enjoy it.
  • tphilptphilp Members Posts: 100 ✭✭
    I don’t think you would get as much as you think from this. Prolly better they leave it as is for the industry
  • bighitlamabighitlama ClubWRX Posts: 42
    If the manufacturers set up hitting areas, it could be the ultimate demo weekend. Many manufacturers sell directly to the public now. I'd pay to go to it, but I'm a gear guy, love seeing and trying new stuff.
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,536 ✭✭
    Huh?? It’s so easy these days for the average Joe to get into the show. I don’t think it’s nearly as restrictive as it used to be.
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,510 ✭✭
    platgof wrote:

If the demand is there, 1st week all business, 2nd week public invited.

I would love to see the public interact with a bunch of sales people on their second week of 12 hour workdays, dinners of passed appetizers at hosted happy hours and whiskey soaked nights chasing the interns from Troon Golf. The interactions would be splendid.
  • CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional Members Posts: 814 ✭✭
    ABSOLUTELY NOT. Its busy enough as it is. 25-50% of the pros & distributors wouldnt go if public was allowed. Its not the point of the show.

That being said, you can find a way to go. A private club I used to work at sends a board member every year. Lots of random media ppl there too. You could start a website for $10, then pay the $170 or whatever for the badge and go as media.
    Callaway
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,536 ✭✭

ABSOLUTELY NOT. Its busy enough as it is. 25-50% of the pros & distributors wouldnt go if public was allowed. Its not the point of the show.

That being said, you can find a way to go. A private club I used to work at sends a board member every year. Lots of random media ppl there too. You could start a website for $10, then pay the $170 or whatever for the badge and go as media.

Agreed.

Would love to know what the actual stats are but the show is no longer “closed” to the public. I’ve been able to snag a pass each year I’ve wanted one and a pass for 3 of my friends as well. No issue.
  • CAT GOLFERCAT GOLFER Members Posts: 931 ✭✭
    edited Jan 30, 2019 11:37am #49
    having shown up at the backend of festivals, competitions, and expos where the industry insiders come early and do their business then leave, those last few "public" days are a letdown. they could do like the watch industry, it's kinda public but business is by scheduled appt's.
  • InterpolInterpol POWWWWWW Members Posts: 1,023 ✭✭
    edited Jan 30, 2019 3:10pm #50
    **** no.

It's a trade show just like CES, and if you've ever been to CES you know how crazy it gets even without allowing the general public in.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a policy that bans individual/private sales at the show.
    Cobra King F9, Atmos TS 7X
    Ping G 3W
    Ping G30 3H
    TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52, 56
    Nike X3X 60
    Ping Karsten TR Anser 5
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,351 ✭✭
    No interest in going where I'm not welcome...
    G30 LST
    3 wood M2 Taylormade
    790 2 iron
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros
    Cleveland Blob
    Square Strike
    SeeMore Butts
  • GautamaGautama Members Posts: 768 ✭✭
    Definitely no for a the reasons listed...that's just not what these shows are for.

But I think an interesting question might be if they did something like a golf expo for the public, would people pay to go? And would they spend enough at the show to make it worthwhile for the manufacturers to attend? My guess is yes in the first part, but probably no to the second.
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 12,044 ✭✭
    NO

There are consumer golf and travels show

Tradeshows in general are dying. Very costly to vendors
    Ping G400 LST 11* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* GD AD BB 6s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,899 ✭✭
    Look around for a farm show. You urban dwellers won't believe what you can see there.
  • BallgofarboyBallgofarboy Old man Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭
    I think that is why there are DEMO days. I am with the rest, it probably would be fun to do though.
    Callaway XR 9.5 degree
    Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
    NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
    Callaway Razr Tour Irons
    50 degree Volkey
    WITB Link
    58 degree cleveland
    52 degree Sixron
  • mackepamackepa #TheWRX Members Posts: 3,598 ✭✭
    bighitlama wrote:

If the manufacturers set up hitting areas, it could be the ultimate demo weekend. Many manufacturers sell directly to the public now. I'd pay to go to it, but I'm a gear guy, love seeing and trying new stuff.

The problem is the companies are down there with the intent on selling 30 drivers to one pro shop not one driver to a guy doing an 8 hour demo session. These companies bring in all their sales reps with the intent of setting up their accounts shop orders for the season and to be trained on new product.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Proto
    MD4 52s, 56s, 60x KBS $-Taper
    Toulon Austin Longneck Garage
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    edited Feb 21, 2019 5:15pm #57
    cardoustie wrote:

... Tradeshows in general are dying. Very costly to vendors

Good point. See link.

mackepa wrote:

The problem is the companies are down there with the intent on selling 30 drivers to one pro shop not one driver to a guy doing an 8 hour demo session. These companies bring in all their sales reps with the intent of setting up their accounts shop orders for the season and to be trained on new product.

Not anymore. Most golf clubs and off-course shops have placed their initial mdse order by Thanksgiving. Most new business orders go to entrepreneurs and small businesses offering innovative items to all takers.

to be trained on new product. Yes, this definitely goes on.

GolfSpy covers shift in ordering: [url="https://****.com/is-the-pga-merchandise-show-still-relevant/"]https://****.co...still-relevant/[/url]

Side Note: Fashion merchandise tends to dominate the Las Vegas show in August.
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.