Level Tee Boxes - The Thread of Simple Pleasures

vaca22vaca22 Commander In BeefMembers Posts: 667 ✭✭
edited Feb 26, 2019 6:08pm in General Golf Talk #1
In my world there is almost nothing better than standing on flat, level tee boxes. Like, NOTHING. It has to be because the just don't exist around me. The tee boxes I'm used to generally look like minefields.

What are some of the things you truly enjoy while golfing? Like, simple things...

I also love summer evening solo golf, under cloudless skies with just a hint of a breeze.

Man it's been a long winter..

Comments

• Pooh_BearPooh_Bear Members Posts: 99
    Beer
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 494 ✭✭
    Freshly double cut and rolled greens. Feels like being on tour where everything rolls true.
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,586 ✭✭
    Watching my son play.
  • FadeFade Members Posts: 1,126 ✭✭
    A day off.
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,173 ✭✭
    Playing 18 holes without worrying about irritating nonsense in my life.
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 95 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10 / KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • CAT GOLFERCAT GOLFER Members Posts: 906 ✭✭
    +1 for level tee boxes

And one for me is finishing with the same ball I started with
  • CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 5,847 ClubWRX
    75-80 degrees with low humidity and no wind
  • Dr.FrankenputzDr.Frankenputz Members Posts: 699 ✭✭
    No one in front of us
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members Posts: 11,648 ✭✭
    Good sand in the bunkers

Scorecards at the first tee

My favorite: a drive struck well enough that your tee gets decapitated.
    M4 9.5°, Ventus 7x
    Mizuno ST-180 16°, Atmos Blue 8x
    Mizuno CLK  19°, Recoil Hybrid 95
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

Srixon Z785 5-PW
    Mizuno S18  50.07, 54.08 & 58.08
    Nippon Modus 125x
    EVNROLL ER3
    Z-Star XV
    Lead Tape

• Ryan3773Ryan3773 Members Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Finding a tee that I can use. Love it
  • Pwood28Pwood28 Members Posts: 343 ✭✭
    An empty golf course at twilight. There is something spiritual about walking down the fairway when it is near silent and the sun is going down. By far the most inspirational place I can be.
    WITB (short set edition)
    8 club bag (play most of my rounds with this setup):
    TM 1017 M1 440 Driver - 10.5 degree - Kuro Kage XT 75s
    TM M4 Hybrid - 18 degree 
    NCW Large Cavity - 24 degree 
    NCW Small Cavity - 32 & 40 degree 
    NCW MB - 48 degree 
    NCW Wedge - 56 degree 
    Putter (Still way too many to list!)

IG: Filmooregolf
  • jli2636jli2636 Members Posts: 1,035 ✭✭
    Pwood28 wrote:

An empty golf course at twilight. There is something spiritual about walking down the fairway when it is near silent and the sun is going down. By far the most inspirational place I can be.

Add having your kid with you enjoying the game as much as you do. In my opinion there is nothing better in the game.
  • Pwood28Pwood28 Members Posts: 343 ✭✭
    jli2636 wrote:

Pwood28 wrote:

Add having your kid with you enjoying the game as much as you do. In my opinion there is nothing better in the game.

Soon...My 3 year old is just starting to take interest!
    WITB (short set edition)
    8 club bag (play most of my rounds with this setup):
    TM 1017 M1 440 Driver - 10.5 degree - Kuro Kage XT 75s
    TM M4 Hybrid - 18 degree 
    NCW Large Cavity - 24 degree 
    NCW Small Cavity - 32 & 40 degree 
    NCW MB - 48 degree 
    NCW Wedge - 56 degree 
    Putter (Still way too many to list!)

IG: Filmooregolf
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,589 ✭✭
    Spring grass when it actually starts to grow instead of just lying there dormant.
  • retro74retro74 Members Posts: 6
    Nothing better than having the course to yourself late in the day

I also like ball washers

The ball I'm currently using has already done at least 72 holes with me so it appreciates a good wash every so often image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Oh and I absolutely love those air hoses for cleaning your shoes after a round. Again like ball washers quite rare around here but a welcome sight
  • kmay__kmay__ Members Posts: 219 ✭✭
    Level tee boxes my goodness how good would those be? lol most of the cheap tracks I play have rough tee boxes. Ill second the ball washers mentioned above with a stipulation, clean soapy water inside. Not ones that smell like sewage inside hahaha and a nice terry cloth hanging on it, not those cheapo thin green towel things they use.
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Bio-Cell 16.5*
    PING G30 4 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
  • vaca22vaca22 Commander In Beef Members Posts: 667 ✭✭
    kmay__ wrote:

Level tee boxes my goodness how good would those be? lol most of the cheap tracks I play have rough tee boxes. Ill second the ball washers mentioned above with a stipulation, clean soapy water inside. Not ones that smell like sewage inside hahaha and a nice terry cloth hanging on it, not those cheapo thin green towel things they use.

I HATE those towels!

Are ball washers a rare thing?
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,398 ClubWRX
    edited Feb 27, 2019 7:53am #20
    "..... coffee in a cup, little fuzzy pups, [scotch] in a glass, and grass." ;-)
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 360 ✭✭
    I will attempt to describe my golf nirvana:

Tee shots before the sun is up. Footprints in the dew and tiny little grass clippings stuck to your ball on putts. Dew paths on greens that sometimes give you a read.

Better yet a hole or holes that are by themselves, you can’t see any other part of the course, where the thwack of your shots echos over the mist. A deer dashes across the fairway ahead of you as the sun begins to crest the forest canopy.

Or

On the 17 or 18, the sun has been down a half hour already. The lights of the clubhouse beckon as you play by feel and luck to squeeze in the final holes before finiahing up and looking back over the dim golf course behind you. Where the only sounds are crickets chirping and far off sprinkers.
    Golfing in Finland!
    vaca22 wrote:

kmay__ wrote:

I HATE those towels!

Are ball washers a rare thing?

They are where I play! The track over the road has none and the other two regular courses we play have one each - and they always stink image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
  • UncleJohn’sBandUncleJohn’sBand Members Posts: 972 ✭✭
    Pwood28 wrote:

There is absolutely, unequivocally NOTHING better in the game of golf than this right here.
    Titleist 915 D3 Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
    Titleist 910 F Rombax W
    Titleist 913hd Matrix Altus
    Titleist 714 CB/MB 4-Pw PjX 6.5
    Tour issue 52, 56 60 Vokey 200 SM4
    Odyssey Versa no. 7
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Members Posts: 3,062 ✭✭
    Simple Pleasures:

How about a parking lot with reasonably-large spaces?

For that matter, how about people optimizing space and spread TF out a little instead of trying to find the closest possible spot to the clubhouse?

How about a credit card machine in the clubhouse that works in under 5 minutes?

How about a golf cart with brakes that actually work?

How about people spread out on the range when it's late in the day and shadows are long?

How about smokers actually make an attempt to stand down-wind?

How about a golf cart that doesn't seem like it's about to die as I'm driving off the first tee?

How about a gas cart that doesn't explode forward when I step on the accelerator giving me and my buddy whiplash 5x a hole?

How about when I bust a big drive on a par-5 that I actually get a proper, level lie in the fairway?

How about people repair a pitch mark or two on the green?
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5)
    Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Black (16.5)
    Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 9031 (23)
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Nike Method Milled 003
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,029 ✭✭
    Playing as the are sprinklers running, when the water stops just as you're almost within range.
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,464 ✭✭
    2-putt par on the first hole.
  • andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,120 ✭✭
    edited Feb 27, 2019 8:52am #27
    You'd hate Rye Hill (UK) then. They have temporary tee boxes over the winter and all they've done is move the tee markers forward onto the fairway. Several of them are sloping. Almost all are uneven. And...just why? My own club uses temporary greens on very cold mornings but that makes sense because of the difficulty of repairing them. But surely tee boxes are easy to repair.

The worst at Rye are the par 3s where they've also dropped a mat down with no attempt to provide a base for it. My own club uses mats on par 3s but they have purpose built platforms for them.
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,253 ClubWRX
    Walking down the first fairway with a great cup of coffee in hand alongside some of the best friends possible.

Of course, they're great friends because they're helping me look for my tee shot in the woods.
  • MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 228 ✭✭
    Very hot day, hear the sound of a gas golf cart. See the cart girl coming with ice colds beers knowing **** well you're gonna buy 2 for sure.
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: << Testing in Progress >>
    ulAVttu.png - F7 3W - 15.5D - Tensei Blue 60S
    0kZapzq.png- 816 H1 - 21 - Diamana S+ 70R
    Tghg11i.jpg - Z585 4-7 / Z785 8-PW - AMT White Tour S300
    Wedges:
    • cKIO92v.png- MD3 - 51
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide 2.0 Stealth - 56
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide - 60

Putter: q8m5K5T.png - E-3
    taylormade-small.jpg - TP5x or urp3gG8.png - MTB Red
    LhHjFh3.png - Pioneer
  • Bonneville85308Bonneville85308 Members Posts: 1,629 ✭✭
    Walking an evening twilight round solo on an empty course.

Ball washers with fresh smelling sudsy soap and a terry cloth towel.

Finding someone's lost near-new ProV1 burred in the rough.

Finding that there is a box of scorecards and pencils on the second tee for when I forget to grab one before starting on the first hole.
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,464 ✭✭
    A falling fade with a long iron that lands 12 feet from the hole on the course's longest par-3.