Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Mallet vs Blade

2»

Comments

• Oett11Oett11 Members Posts: 81 ✭✭✭
    Mallet

Started using mallet last week, alignment is great but my lag putting is going to take some time to get used to.

Mizuno st 180~~ 9.5* Diamana D+ 70 x
    Mizuno st 180 3w 15* Ust Chrome 8f5t
    Cobra F8 hybrid 22* Rogue 85 stiff
    Cobra King Mb 5-pw kbs $taper 125
    Cleveland Rtx4 50/54 ti s400
    Taylormade mini spider 35

• downbylaw11downbylaw11 Members Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Mallet

I've used a cheap mallet putter for about 20 years. I bought it because I felt I'd like the look and feel of something with a little more mass and I've never looked back. It'd be hard to change now. I think more important than the style of putter you use, is that you use one that is fit properly for you based on your stance, height, stroke tendency etc.
    I like the feeling of the putter having enough mass that the ball feels like nothing coming off the face. Of course that can be done by playing a soft ball too, but I always hated the feeling of using a blade and feeling the weight of the ball off the face.

• getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mallet

Plumber's neck mallet. I get the benefit of high moi with a little bit of race rotation. I cannot consistently putt well with anything face balanced though. And I can't stand how a flow neck/slant hosel looks at address. Plumbers neck mallets aren't easy to find. Landed on a plumber's neck spider earlier this year that will stay in the bag for a while.

• VGVGVGVG Bryn Mawr, PAMembers Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    Blade

My preferred putter shape is currently a wide blade. I play a custom-ordered one from Mannkrafted. It is amazing! And I keep an old Anser as well as a Scotty Kombi S in case I need to look at something else. I know some pros do the same: they rotate putter shapes based on what looks right at the time. I wish I didn’t have that problem, because I could sell two of my putters...

• JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mallet

How do you define a blade? In theory I don’t own a true > @getitdaily said:

Plumber's neck mallet. I get the benefit of high moi with a little bit of race rotation. I cannot consistently putt well with anything face balanced though. And I can't stand how a flow neck/slant hosel looks at address. Plumbers neck mallets aren't easy to find. Landed on a plumber's neck spider earlier this year that will stay in the bag for a while.

Try the Cleveland Huntington Beach #10.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X and 64 S
    Cleveland RTX4 54 MID
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3, Studio Stock #28 Slotback, Studio Stock #38 & BB39
    Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
    Piretti Forza & Matera Elite
  • psusurfpsusurf Members Posts: 39 ✭✭

I use both, but I have problem with distance control with a mallet putter. I have a super soft Tad Moore Porto 1s in copper which will never go away. When it stops working I use my Scotty futura x5, goes straight but have trouble controlling the speed

Driver: Rogue Sub Zero, Graphite Designs Tour Ad DI
    Woods: TM M2,chrome elements +
    Driving Iron: TM UDI 18 degrees; KBS C-taper 120S 
    Irons:  Cobra CB/MB combo; KBS C-Taper 120S
    Wedges: Vokey SM5 50, 42: SM7 58
    Putter: Tad Moore Pro 1s, copper plated
  • BrianM18BrianM18 Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Blade

i actually prefer the older lighter weight blades find it easier to putt with vs the modern mallet. old ping my day mag bronze or scotty circa 62 the 2 putters that keep finding their way back into the bag time after time

• titleistektitleistek Members Posts: 70 ✭✭
    Mallet

I recently switched from blade to mallet(Scotty). I feel like my misses are not as extreme. Feel overall is definitely better in a blade (ping)

• Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’m an at the axis of success ,I have the new double wide stroke lab, blade shape in a face balanced mallet. What the ****....... my fifty try at a putter..... what could go wrong

Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • DoyouevenbladeDoyouevenblade Members Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    Mallet

My heart says blade, my scorecard says mallet

• BrianM18BrianM18 Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Blade

@Doyouevenblade said:

see i want to like the mallet, it just doesn'tt work for me im the opposite of you. I played with the cleveland hb soft 11 for 2 rds worst putting of my life. right back in the spare bag it went

• HellstormHellstorm Members Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blade

I have been using a Scotty blade for like 6 years now and I have an older Oddessy mallet that I sometimes put in the bag when I am struggling. Lately I have been missing a lot of shorter putts and I am seriously considering buying a mallet like the Spider. When I mess with it at the store I am making everything because it seems like my alignment is much better. I am torn. Has anybody else switched to the Spider from a blade and had great success?

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blade

voted blade here -- everytime i've ever tried a mallet, i go back to a blade. so, why fight it?

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 4-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blade

@Doyouevenblade said:

your screenname suggests otherwise? lol

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 4-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on the fence, a lot of mallets I just don't like at address and/or don't have a good feel for what I'm looking for. Blades I'm getting more comfortable with at address and my preference for a heavy putter is becoming easier since blades are getting heavier, it's not hard to find a blade just under 400g these days.

I could use the forgiveness of mallets but my lag putting is awful with them. The mid-mallet is kinda the compromise but finding a nice one left handed is near impossible. So I'll just continue to club hoe until I find one I like.

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S Shaft
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S Shaft
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 - 20° Draw - Diamana S+ 70R Shaft
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300 Shaft
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Argolf Avalon - Toulon Sand Diego - Byron Morgan DH89 - and many more.
    Balls: Vice Pro+ - Srixon Z-Star XV
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • tocinotocino Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use a blade so i can look cool when scooping up my ball after my playing partner(s) concedes a putt
    seriously though, i still have my old kombi s that i dont' mind practicing with. It's definitely a lot easier to line up than my newport but... i feel better standing over the newport for some reason

• maverickmaverick Members Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blade

I have experimented with mallets for 3 years trying several popular ones. The best and only one I will game is the Callaway/Toulon Ls Vegas. I love the milled face and finally found a mallet w/o and insert or aluminum face. It now in the bag. I still have a blade putter I putt great with but it's easier to aim the mallet.

• bodhi555bodhi555 Members Posts: 866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dr.Frankenputz said:
    Does an odyssey #9 mid-mallet count as a mallet? I’m up to 6 of varying sizes in that head shape & they all fit in standard blade covers.

I use the same shape and don't really consider it a mallet putter, despite the name. It's more of a cross between a Wilson 8802 and a Ping Anser imo.

The Dee Three: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 65X
    The Stenson: Titleist 917 F3 15 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 75X
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

• Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Play a spider x but might pick up a Scotty phantom 6s in the off season. Love the look and feel of that one

Ping g410 plus 8* 1 flat Fuji pro 2.0 Ts 6x
    Titleist TS3 16.5* evenflow white t1100 6.5 75g
    Ping g410 19* hybrid 
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 34” navy with true path alignment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file