Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Carl's Golfland had a major security breach.

Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Putting this here since this is the most active forum and this directly affects us. Carl's Golfland had a major security breach. The person got everyone's credit card, CVC, mailing addresses, billing addresses, and emails, if you ever ordered from them. They got EVERYTHING. They have enough information to really screw our lives up.

Comments

• ChillyDipperChillyDipper Members Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Put them in the sin bin with the other perps: Equifax (SSN's), Target, Facebook, Capital One, Mitch McConnell. Nothing is safe anymore. Those old ladies doing their banking from a chequebook are probably the only ones who haven't lost their personal information.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]WIMB:[/font]
    [font="trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif"]Callaway Epic Subzero[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping G 3W[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 712U - 2i [/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]VR Pro Blade - 3-9 [/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Vokey SM6 - GW SW LW[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]SC Newport 2 - AOP [/font]
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,409 ClubWRX

Doesn't probably help much, but one of the potential reasons I have my cards (all two of them, lol) changed out with different numbers at least annually.

• ctonrctonr Members Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

At couple years ago I had 3 or 4 credit monitors given free by companies that had data breaches. I've since locked my credit at all bureaus. It cost me around $20 each back then but I think it's free now. Doesn't give you 100% protection from identity theft but it's something.

• RedWings1RedWings1 Dunham Hills,Moose Ridge,Huntmoore & Kensington GC's, MichiganMembers Posts: 337 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the Heads Up!!!

TaylorMade M4, 9.5 - Fuji Pro TS 63s
    TaylorMade M1 4w, 17.5 - Fuji Pro TS 83s
    Srixon Zu85 3i - Recoil 95s
    Bridgestone J15cb 4-pw - DG Pro S300
    Honma TW -50,54,58 - NS Pro Modus3 125s
    09 Odyssey Black Series 1 (milled, Nickel Plated) w/Stability Shaft
    Srixon Z Star XV Tour Yellow

• JaNelson38JaNelson38 Members Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 30, 2019 2:26pm #6

@Frankensteins Monster said:
    Putting this here since this is the most active forum and this directly affects us. Carl's Golfland had a major security breach. The person got everyone's credit card, CVC, mailing addresses, billing addresses, and emails, if you ever ordered from them. They got EVERYTHING. They have enough information to really screw our lives up.

As long as they didn't get anything overly sensitive like SSN numbers, of which Carl's wouldnt have of course, a breach like this is very manageable, and in fact very minor to be honest. Fraud and identity theft monitoring is pretty much standard now with every credit card company, and all credit card companies I know of have fraudulent purchase protection, meaning you aren't liable for any purchases made without your authorization. Simply check your card balances on a daily basis. If you are worried about a card you have that was exposed, simply have the card swapped out with new numbers by your credit card company.

Post edited by JaNelson38 on
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JaNelson38 said:

As long as they didn't anything overly sensitive like SSN numbers, of which Carl's wouldnt have of course, a breach like this is very manageable, and in fact very minor to be honest. Fraud and identity theft monitoring is pretty much standard now with every credit card company, and all credit card companies I know of have fraudulent purchase protection, meaning you aren't liable for any purchases made without your authorization. Simply check your card balances on a daily basis. If you are worried about a card you have that was exposed, simply have the card swapped out with new numbers by your credit card company.

thanks for this!.. it's the hustle of it all that folks try to avoid. Used to take months, years to clear this issue with creditors and like

Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JaNelson38 said:

As long as they didn't anything overly sensitive like SSN numbers, of which Carl's wouldnt have of course, a breach like this is very manageable, and in fact very minor to be honest. Fraud and identity theft monitoring is pretty much standard now with every credit card company, and all credit card companies I know of have fraudulent purchase protection, meaning you aren't liable for any purchases made without your authorization. Simply check your card balances on a daily basis. If you are worried about a card you have that was exposed, simply have the card swapped out with new numbers by your credit card company.

Social security numbers don't have to be used for numerous forms of gaining credit, and credit cards are some of them. With the information taken, someone can easily call a credit card company and change the mailing address, and email address, of the account. This is a little bit more than "minor."

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JaNelson38 said:

We had two fraudulent charges on our Discover bill a few months back. We called Discover and told them that neither my wife nor I made the purchase, they took off the charges and sent us new cards. Easy.

Turns out there is a gas station across the state line from where we live that is notorious for those skimmer things on the pumps. I do my best to never use that station any longer as a result.

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,802 ClubWRX

Right after a Carl's order I got hit with 4 fraudulent charges totalling over $6k. Had all the alerts set and shut down the card within minutes. Two more charges were in the queue when I got off the phone with the credit card folks. Suspected it had something to do with Carl's at the time, but did not know for sure.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
    edited Aug 30, 2019 2:25pm #12

Social security numbers don't have to be used for numerous forms of gaining credit, and credit cards are some of them. With the information taken, someone can easily call a credit card company and change the mailing address, and email address, of the account. This is a little bit more than "minor."

There is no form of credit I know of that you can obtain without giving your social security number. Your SSN is the one piece of identification used by pretty much every bank and credit reporting agency to determine who you are. No bank will lend credit to anyone without it. Credit cards are all held by banks.

There are anti-fraud procedures in place whenever someone wants to change the address of anyone on an account. You can't just call up a place and have your address changed on the spot.

If you're worried about a card that was exposed in this breach, do like I said before...call your credit card company and have them send a new card with new numbers. That's really all there is to it. Trust me, as someone who has suffered from fraudulent charges in the past...someone getting an address off a credit card file is nothing. Banks get that legally every day from soft pulls on credit reports...which is why people get those credit card ads in the mail every day. Addresses and card numbers being exposed are minor. SSN numbers being exposed is what you need to worry about and pay attention to.

edited Aug 30, 2019 2:34pm #13

@smashdn said:

@JaNelson38 said:

We had two fraudulent charges on our Discover bill a few months back. We called Discover and told them that neither my wife nor I made the purchase, they took off the charges and sent us new cards. Easy.

Turns out there is a gas station across the state line from where we live that is notorious for those skimmer things on the pumps. I do my best to never use that station any longer as a result.

Yep, it really is easy to do. Getting a fraudulent charge is scary at first, and it can be a bit annoying as far has having to call and get new cards and having to wait for them in the mail, but it really is an easy process. Its getting to the point now where if you HAVEN'T had a fraudulent transaction on your credit card, you're in the minority.

Many credit card companies now will send alerts out to you if a charge is made that is suspected to be fraudulent. They really want to get ahead of any possible fraudulent activity in order to keep your trust as a customer.

• DatSliceDoeDatSliceDoe Camerons & Cobras One fairway overMembers Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible news. Lock your credit file if you haven't already. ID theft protection is generally a waste of money.

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,802 ClubWRX

@JaNelson38 said:

@smashdn said:

@JaNelson38 said:

Yep, it really is easy to do. Getting a fraudulent charge is scary at first, and it can be a bit annoying as far has having to call and get new cards and having to wait for them in the mail, but it really is an easy process. Its getting to the point now where if you HAVEN'T had a fraudulent transaction on your credit card, you're in the minority.

Many credit card companies now will send alerts out to you if a charge is made that is suspected to be fraudulent. They really want to get ahead of any possible fraudulent activity in order to keep your trust as a customer.

Actually it isn't always easy. I had to fill in a questionaire sent to me from the credit card company certifying the date of the last proper charge and attesting that all charges after that date were fraudulent. I had to return that affidavit in the mail by a certain date or the charges would not be reversed. By the time I received the questionaire, I only had a few days to return it. Luckily I was here when the mail came, filled everything out, and got it back in the mail for the next days pickup. I received a letter a couple weeks later that "graciously" informed me that the charges would remain reversed. It cases like this where the purchases includes all the proper information (cc #, CVI #, billing address) the credit card companies aren't all that sure you aren't the scammer.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JaNelson38 said:

There is no form of credit I know of that you can obtain without giving your social security number. Your SSN is the one piece of identification used by pretty much every bank and credit reporting agency to determine who you are. No bank will lend credit to anyone without it. Credit cards are all held by banks.

There are anti-fraud procedures in place whenever someone wants to change the address of anyone on an account. You can't just call up a place and have your address changed on the spot.

If you're worried about a card that was exposed in this breach, do like I said before...call your credit card company and have them send a new card with new numbers. That's really all there is to it. Trust me, as someone who has suffered from fraudulent charges in the past...someone getting an address off a credit card file is nothing. Banks get that legally every day from soft pulls on credit reports...which is why people get those credit card ads in the mail every day. Addresses and card numbers being exposed are minor. SSN numbers being exposed is what you need to worry about and pay attention to.

There are retail stores that accept applications without a SS# or a TIN number.

You can absolutely change address by calling the credit card company using just the account number and original address.

I can handle credit breach, I have in the past, but it's not simple. It takes time. What happened here was a complete breakdown of customer security. The fact that CVC's were attained in the breach is mind boggling. They should not be stored anywhere by them.

• Enduro59Enduro59 Members Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

@ChillyDipper said:
    Put them in the sin bin with the other perps: Equifax (SSN's), Target, Facebook, Capital One, Mitch McConnell. Nothing is safe anymore. Those old ladies doing their banking from a chequebook are probably the only ones who haven't lost their personal information.

What's Mitch McConnell's name doing in there??

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,908 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@tiderider said:
    i literally believe hackers should be shot ...

Or hung from the yard arm. And left for the birds to pick clean.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Spider X Tour Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,495 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was relieved to go back and look up my most recent Golfland purchase. Turns out it was quite a while ago, using a card that's been deactivated for a couple years now. The bad news is how fast several years race by without me noticing!

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JaNelson38 said:

Couple years back I was traveling for work and they had not given me a travel card yet. I put a bunch of stuff on my personal card and Discover actually locked my account while I was standing at the rental car desk in Cleveland. That took a bit to get it back on and working. Now when we travel we just call Discover ahead of time and let them know where we are headed so they can expect charges from a weird origin.

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

most do a pretty decent job ... capitalone seems to know i'm not a miami video-gamer kind of guy ...

• larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody should be storing CVC/CVV numbers!!!

• Snowman9000Snowman9000 Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

We use a Citi MasterCard for online activity. They offer virtual numbers that are limited as to dollars, time, vendor, and number of uses. I’m often too lazy to take the extra minute to get one before checking out on a site. I need to get un-lazy about it.

Driver 915 D2
    5W Wilson Fybrid
    4h, 5h, 6h Adams Idea Tech 2015
    6-AW Snake Eyes Viper MS, graphite
    58º Callaway MD2 Forged S grind
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • LHGolf4LHGolf4 Lefty Boomers Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭

The day I got the email from Carl's and checked the card I used there and it had several pending charges to The Children's Place (which I have never shopped there). I froze the card and then called in to cancel it. That card is primarily the one I use for online purchases so no big deal, but definitely annoying.

• spartanglfrspartanglfr Members Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 31, 2019 3:18pm #25
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    W/S Cortex 10.5* - Atmos Red - S
    W/S C300 15* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S C300 20*/23* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S FG Tour Forged 5-P DGS300
    W/S PMP 52/56/60  KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    W/S Infinite Windy City
  • Ger21Ger21 Members Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

I always pay with PayPal when I buy at Carl's.

Nike VR Pro LE 10.5° RIP Phenom 70S
    Nike VR Pro LE 3W RIP Phenom 80S
    Nike VR Pro LE 5W RIP Phenom 80S
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3 iron DGPRO S300
    Nike VR Pro Blades 4-PW DG S300
    Yururi Tour 56 & 60, Modus 125 Wedge Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
  • Bill BroderickBill Broderick Members Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Upon reading the title to this thread, my first thought was "didn't I buy something from Carl's recently?" I checked my email and realized that I ordered from them last night. But, like most new retailers that I buy from, I used Paypal. I've had my credit card compromised multiple times. But, I always caught it quickly and the credit card company immediately removed fraudulent charges.
    There are two things that I suggest when making online purchases using cards. First, check with your card provider to see what kind of communication options they have. I get an email from Chase (the bank of my primary credit card) every time that a charge is made to my account from a gas station or when the card isn't present (online, mail or phone charges). That second one is why there has never been a time when I didn't notice the problem the same day that it occurred.
    Second, is that you should never use a debit card when making online purchases. Even though the cards are issued by the same banks that issue credit cards, you don't have the same legal rights if a debit card is compromised as you do if a credit card is compromised. Most banks do currently make good on your account. But, they aren't legally required to as they are with fraudulent credit card charges.

• 976-Evil976-Evil Hacker Extraordinaire Members Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

I literally bought something a from them a few weeks ago for the first time ever. Luckily I used PP and won't be buying from them again for this reason. Thanks for the heads up.

Callaway Rogue 9.0 -1* - HZRDUS Red - 62g 6.5
    TM M2 3W - 15* - Aldila 125 MST 60
    TM Rescue 2 - 16* - LM stiff
    Mizuno JPX900F - 4-GW - KBS T 120S
    Vokey SM5 - 56/60
    TM Ardmore 3

• Radeon962Radeon962 ClubWRX Posts: 2,004 ClubWRX

Wonder if phone orders or in store purchases also apply or online only. I work close to Carl's and have bought plenty in store and Pre-orders over the phone for in store pickup

• Radeon962Radeon962 ClubWRX Posts: 2,004 ClubWRX

Just called them and they said anyone impacted would be notified. It is supposedly online orders only.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file