sm8 nonsense....

bogeypro ·  
bogeyprobogeypro The Original BogeyproAL 3445WRX Points: 371Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 3,445 ClubWRX

have you folks been listening to the marketing from Vokey on these sm8?! Who knew that the sm7 was so bad, according to vokey... So, we needed higher cg before, therefore we had the weight pad raised on the higher lofted wedges. now, they tell us that causes issues with hitting high right shots. YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT BEFORE WITH ALL YOUR FANCY EQUIPMENT?! Now, we we are told that we need more weight in the hosel and farther forward. This is against what we've been told before as well.

I don't know.... I think marketing is really stretching on these.

Posted:
Taylormade m1 2017 Atmos Black TS
Taylormade m6 fairway Atmos
Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid 
Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4-pw
Vokey SM7 52/58 wedges 
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • JackpotJohnnyJackpotJohnny  2521WRX Points: 134Members Posts: 2,521 Titanium Tees

No different than taylormade.

low rearward cog...no no..low forward, wait now back to low rear again.

mwt, act, fct, atv, removable faceplates, speed fins, speed bumps, speed slots, speed bridges, 1 weight, no..no 2 weights, 1 track, no ...no 2 tracks.

you can’t be be mad at the marketing, you not only have to re-invent the wheel every year but sell improvements to it.

Posted:
  • ScottboxScottbox scottbox  113WRX Points: 59Handicap: 5Members Posts: 113 Fairways

I hit the SM8s and was not particularly impressed with them. I feel like the SM7s I have are softer feeling.

Posted:
  • ryan84ryan84  150WRX Points: 40Handicap: 7Members Posts: 150 Fairways

I also have very high doubts the CG is “in front” of the face much at all. It would take a significant amount of weight in extreme places (I know they did hosel and toe) to move it anywhere meaningful, and I imagine this would throw off swing weight if they did.

Posted:
    Epic SZ 9 deg - GD AD-DI 6x Black
    2016 m2 15 deg - stock x-stiff
    TM M3 19 deg hybrid - Tensei blue 80 x-stiff
    Ping iblades 4-pw - proj x 6.5
    Vokey SM7 - proj x 6.5

Spider Tour Red Double Bend w/ sightline
    OR
    2016 Bettinardi BB1 
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New Zealand 2732WRX Points: 251Members Posts: 2,732 Titanium Tees

Sold my sm5 and sm6 and plenty of Cleveland and Callaway wedges with out moi hi cg back cg etc.Its a Low Point in their history too me when this rubbish comes out...

Posted:
    2020 mid Feb
    Good swing,rhythm
    Balance and grip

Nike vrs 3wd 15
    Titleist917F2 17.25!
    Ping G 7wd at 20

MP63  pw 987654

MD2 50S
    588 56 TourAction
    588 RTX 2 60/10
    ProPlatinumMidSLT
    Oct to March season

• pt73pt73  675WRX Points: 131Members Posts: 675 Golden Tee

So you don’t believe that Callaway used AI and Machine Learning to develop the Mavrik line of metalwoods.

That’s the line being spruiked by almost every software company these days.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • billybaroobillybaroo Cold and snowy Massachusetts 1242WRX Points: 140Members Posts: 1,242 Platinum Tees

What's worse...people who don't know any better, or people you think they do, but really don't? I feel the 2nd camp is more troubling, as they spout off with confidence about how they can feel/see differences that exist only within the margin of error.

Posted:
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy!  1243WRX Points: 191Handicap: It is ClimbingMembers Posts: 1,243 Platinum Tees

They all offer the latest and greatest at each release. As for what most of you guys have offered, I’d agree that many people who spend time on WRX do understand that much of the marketing is just that...marketing. So we don’t buy based on the marketing but do buy based on what works.

I say that say...I am not offended by the marketing. And I am replacing my wedges this year because it is time. And it likely will be SM8s because I like Vokeys because they work for me.

This isn’t a counterpoint... it is just my opinion.

Posted:
  • 2th Dr2th Dr  84WRX Points: 48Members Posts: 84 Fairways

I'm always curious how do they keep pushing the CG further back if it's already as far back as it can be already and the club is same shape....

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SC 3736WRX Points: 966Handicap: 8Members Posts: 3,736 Titanium Tees

Step right up for the the new line of SM8 wedges from Vokey...

...for the players who want a boring, traditional look and feel and need new wedges or want to spend some money and figure wedges are probably a solid investment and who already know they like Vokeys and for those who wish to try Vokeys for the first time because they're a reputable brand that seems popular.

Oh, and it says here something about the CG or whatever but who cares...it's the brand-new, same-thing-as-always Vokey S-M-whatever!!!

Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
    Fairway: M6 3w
    Hybrid: Tour Edge E8 (19, 22)
    Irons: 716 CB (5-Pw)
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • JackpotJohnnyJackpotJohnny  2521WRX Points: 134Members Posts: 2,521 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New England 1066WRX Points: 364Handicap: +2.8Members Posts: 1,066 Platinum Tees

Geez... there's an incredible amount of pessimism in this thread.

Posted:
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • Sean2Sean2  32166WRX Points: 1,996Members Posts: 32,166 Titanium Tees

In a former life they sold snake oil on the frontier...it is all part of the process. No different than: "incredible distance", "hit it Bubba long", etc. I don't know who believes all that hyperbole, but I suppose folks must or they wouldn't engage in it.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

Advertisement
  • RacineBoxerRacineBoxer  874WRX Points: 162Members Posts: 874 Golden Tee

No doubt one of the biggest flip flops from model to model the past several years.

Posted:
  • TKSTKS  263WRX Points: 150Handicap: 7Members Posts: 263 Greens

This whole A.I. thing - isn't that the same tech that has brought spellcheck? Thus the name Mavrik

Posted:
    All Wishon, all the time:
    919THI 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S (A)
    519 SHPR 11* Red Shaft -S (in beta)
    919F/D, Red Shaft
    929 Fwy 5 , Red Shaft
    575MMC 7-GW Wishon Smooth Steel - S (A)
    590 4iron, Black hybd Shaft
    5-SW Sterlings S300's (B)
    PCF Micro 58*
    S2R #5 putter Single Bend Shaft
    Softer Urethane balls - too many to list
  • gambitgambit  4404WRX Points: 230Members Posts: 4,404 Titanium Tees

Vokey's are very good, but so many other company's have really stepped up their wedge offerings that I think Vokey had to say some crazy marketing stuff to keep sales from possibly drifting to competitors. Still love my Glide Forged and no plans to change.

Posted:
  • denvergolfdenvergolf Castle Pines, CO 1663WRX Points: 477Handicap: 1.2Members Posts: 1,663 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
    Ping 410 Plus, 9*, Mitsubishi PO 70TX
    Ping G, 14.5*, Mitsubishi PO 80TX
    TaylorMade M3 20* Hybrid, Kuro Kage XT 100TX
    Taylormade P.7TW, 4-W, DG TI X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 52-mid, 56-mid, and 60-low, DG TI S400
    Titleist Cameron Newport 2 Timeless 
    2019 ProV1
  • LobbyLobby  16WRX Points: 13Members Posts: 16 Bunkers

I have a dream that one day, golf marketers will say, with love in their hearts and truth on their lips, that golf clubs can no longer be improved and that they'll offer models from the past 10 years for you to choose from. Handicaps will not be affected one bit.

:-)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BIG STUBIG STU  12556WRX Points: 3,172Handicap: 5.0Members Posts: 12,556 Titanium Tees

Personally I am not offended by their marketing at all the employees have to eat and feed their families. To go further I am brand agnostic like you said I play what I know works for me and could care less about that company's marketing , product cycles or if Joe Pro plays it on tour or not. And I will also state what works for me may not work for you or anyone else

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Cleveland 588 56* TTDG Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe rusty and lead taped named "Rusty"
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

• Jim53Jim53  52WRX Points: 43Members Posts: 52 Bunkers

OK folks so where do the Japanese forged Models fit in to the mix? I am honestly curious as I like a forged wedge and they do look nice but is there any actual difference in performance? I could just stick with my Miura tours but always looking for more of anything.

Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU  9552WRX Points: 3,038Handicap: 8Members Posts: 9,552 Titanium Tees

It was not just the SM7s that raised the COG. That is a big point when you look at the whole Mizuno MP20 line, and every high toe wedge.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MB Aldila RIP SLT Tour 115X Flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 52, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • SugarPenguinSugarPenguin  80WRX Points: 70Handicap: 8Members Posts: 80 Fairways

Thats fine by me - happy for Titleist to tell the general public how poor the previous generation of wedges were.

Got 3 new SM7 vokeys with my PX Shafts for about $90 each.

Hell I might even start telling people myself how revolutionary SM8s are and i might pick up another set of SM7s for $60 this time next year.

Posted:
    The Bats:
    TS3 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Yellow
    TS3 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver
    Apex Hybrid 19°- Kuro Kage Black
    MP20 MMC - Project X Rifle 6.0
    Vokey 50° 54° 58° - Project X Rifle 6.0
    Spider Tour X

Advertisement
  • Aviador NavalAviador Naval equus mortuus non caedis  1216WRX Points: 214Handicap: 3Members Posts: 1,216 Platinum Tees

I’ve lived in Japan a couple of times for nearly five years total. The number of sightings on an actual golf course of the following is zero: Miura, Royal Collection, Epon, Yuryuri, Legacy Black, Vokey Forged.

If you want to use what the people that actually live in the Japanese Domestic Market use, get some off the rack Mizunos or standard cast Vokey. Haven’t been back since the Cleveland/Srixon marriage. Perhaps RTX is getting some love now...

Posted:
    917 D2 9.5
    * under construction *
    818 H1 x2 - lofts TBD
    * under construction *
    46F, 50F, [email protected], 60K
    Newport 2.5
  • Sean2Sean2  32166WRX Points: 1,996Members Posts: 32,166 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20432WRX Points: 4,348ClubWRX Posts: 20,432 ClubWRX

Will be trying them out sometime in the upcoming season. If they perform as well or better than my SM6s I'll be getting some!

SM7 thing did seem awkward the first time I listened to one of their vids but didn't bother me much - I thought they were crap, too (okay their Tour players and most others didn't see it that way) that's why I gave them to my daughter's boyfriend.

Posted:
    Post edited by Hawkeye77 on

Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.