Famous People you ran into during a round of Golf...

jjohn1022

Played the UT club in Austin a while back. somehow we managed to have a frost delay in the morning. so we're all mingling around the clubhouse (which is awesome) and none other than R. Lee Ermey was there. He was loud and dropped F bombs like it was no big deal. he had an American flag golf bag. I said hi to him and he said something back. i don't remember what it was cause all i heard was "Pleased to meet you Private Pyle, now drop and give me twenty!!!!" I would have loved to have been paired with him. RIP

Ben Crenshaw

Earl Campbell

Mack Brown

Darrell Royal

Jordan Speith

Tom Kite

Jon Mackovic

Roger Clemens

Michael Dell

Matthew McConaughey

Vince Young

Adam Dunn

Don Baylor

Greg Swindell

Huston Street

Bob Estes

Verne Lundquist

Donnell Bennett

You can probably guess where I live by all the Longhorn alums (all except Verne and Donnell went to UT)

Bennett was a fullback for the Canes and then the Chiefs and was the only one I actually played with. He was 6’0” 290 lb with very little fat. Freaking monster. Hit a legit 400-yd drive albeit with a helping wind. Drove the green from the 404 yard tee box marker. I bombed my drive and still had a full lob wedge in. His wrists were as big as my calves. Still beat him by 15 though J

Word on the street is that Huston Street is a massive hitter, too.

Only a few for me.

Played with Tom Lehman back in the day at the grand opening for a course he help design just outside of Tampa, FL Lake Jovita.

Worked at a private club in the Tampa area in HS and Kenny Rodgers ( baseball) left his World Series ring in a cart. Found it and returned to him in the locker room. 100 spot and a few rounds of golf with him.

Have seen and said hello to Derek Jeter a handful of times at TPC Tampa.

Other than that, have never run into anyone else at a course.

Ben Crenshaw

Earl Campbell

Mack Brown

Darrell Royal

Jordan Speith

Tom Kite

Jon Mackovic

Roger Clemens

Michael Dell

Matthew McConaughey

Vince Young

Adam Dunn

Don Baylor

Greg Swindell

Huston Street

Bob Estes

Verne Lundquist

Donnell Bennett

You can probably guess where I live by all the Longhorn alums (all except Verne and Donnell went to UT)

Bennett was a fullback for the Canes and then the Chiefs and was the only one I actually played with. He was 6’0” 290 lb with very little fat. Freaking monster. Hit a legit 400-yd drive albeit with a helping wind. Drove the green from the 404 yard tee box marker. I bombed my drive and still had a full lob wedge in. His wrists were as big as my calves. Still beat him by 15 though J

Word on the street is that Huston Street is a massive hitter, too.

I bet Adam Dunn could hit it a country mile. When he made contact!

In the early 2000's I spent a lot of time practicing at a range in Windermere, FL that was open at night. If you kmow Windermere them you know it's where Isleworth is and where a bunch of celebrities lived and live.

I'm hitting balls one night and a voice directly behind me says "nice swing you've got there". At the time I was better than scratch. I turned around and thanked the guy and engaged in a bit of small talk. As I ended the small talk I asked him:

"Does your credit card say Julius, or Dr J?"

Yep, Julius Irving was behind me and fired up conversation with me because he admired my swing. Pretty cool. He was a really nice guy.

Played lake Nona a few times. Hittimg balls last year and Charles Woodson and Lou Holtz are both hitting balls behind me. Talked to Charles a bit.

Struck up a long conversation with the drummer from Creed back in the day too. That guy loved golf.

Also played a bit with a guy who won the US open of wakeboarding back in the early 2000s. Guy was about 22. He apparently put all his eggs in winning the US open wakeboarding competition. Apparently his sponsorships paid out a ton of money (think millions) if he won but basically pennies if he didn't. Guy went on to win on his last run. Then retired and started to play golf. He was a good stick but not anything great at that point.

John Daly used to park his motorhome at West Orange CC when he was in town for Bay hill and Disney, when Disney had a tour event. Hung out at night with Daly a few times back in the day. He brought a 6 pack, a pack of cigs, and a guitar. He'd play and sing and shoot the crap while he drank and smoked. After aboit 2 hours the beer and cigs were gone and he'd head to bed. Easy going guy.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I cannot recall playing with anyone famous. Our club hosted The Friendly’s Classic from 1995-1998 which was an LPGA event. The top women players of the time showed up and couldn’t have been nicer. Dottie Pepper won the championship one of those years.

The Basketball Hall of Fame is located near our course and during induction week the Hall runs an outing at our club. We get to visit with some of the game’s greats.

Doug Flutie played our place shortly after he retired from football. Our head pro handed him a football and asked him to toss him a pass. Doug told him to “go deep” and proceeded to hit him in stride the length of our 2 practice putting greens which I’d estimate to be 60-yards. No warm up, just an effortless toss. Flutie was genuine and terrific to everyone!

Dan Dierdorf at Pebble. He was driving around watching the group in front of me and the 3 ladies I was playing with. Dude has the biggest hands I have ever seen.

Derek Jeter at TPC Tampa Bay. I was on #1 and he was on #9. Of course he was playing golf "the right way."

Way back when in Orlando the band O-Town, just lol there.

I've yet to run into any celebrities at a golf course. The only cool experience I can remember was back about 5 years ago when I used to work at a restaurant. Ben Crenshaw came into the restaurant I used to work at. NOBODY knew who he was except me! I guess you'd have to be a golf fan to recognize him? Also had Sugar Ray Leonard and Magic Johnson come in.

Cobra LTDx LS (10.5°)

Titleist TS2 (15°)

TaylorMade r9 (19°)

Cleveland 588 MB (4-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM8 (52° & 58°)

Odyssey Black #2m CS

Played with Jane Blalock at the Merit Club north of Chicago and Liselotte Neumann at the Wigwam Resort in Phoenix. Class acts for sure.

Southern transplant<br /><br />Ping G LS Tec 9.0<br /><br />Aldila Rogue I/O 60 S<br /><br />RBZ stage 2 tour 3 wood stock shaft-S<br /><br />Ping G25 20* hybrid, stock shaft-S<br /><br />Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS tour Stiff<br />Titleist SM7 50 (8), SM7 54 (10) & SM6 58 (8) stock shaft<br /><br />Odyssey #9 white hot pro

Wasn't on a golf course, but at a Golf USA in Florida, where I knew the owner and manager.

Was in just talking one day, I look at the putting display/practice green, and I see Chuck Daly (RIP).

Went up to him and asked him how many people mistook him for someone else. Just about then, my friend, the manager (who happened to be an excellent female golfer) came up, and got into the conversation with: "So, which football team do you coach?"

Coach Daly looked at me with one of those grins, and...gently let hef off the hook, but winked at me because it was a funny situation!

Not sure if it constitutes famous, but I gave a lesson to a gentleman during my brief stint with Golf Galaxy. He continued to work with me over the next several years. Usually saw him once or twice a year. Didn’t play much because work and young kids. Later on I find out (I never made the connection), that he was Neil Armstrong’s son!

A number of years Ago I was waiting for my tee time at a course just west of Toronto. I went into the clubhouse for a coffee and the only other person there was Moe Norman. We chatted for about 5 minutes. I invited him to join me but he declined as he was headed to the range. He was still at the range when I finished my round.

PXG Gen6 0311 9.0 with Aldila Rogue MSI125 stiff

PXG 0211 3 and 5 woods

PXG 0317CB with Project X LZ 6.0

Bettinardi Queen Bee B11

Played recently with Kyle Schwarber of the Chicago Cubs and a friend of his at a course in Ohio near where he grew up.

I was squeezing in 9 holes on a work trip in the area and was behind them as they paid for their round. The attendant asked if I was with them and when I said no Kyle asked if I’d like to join, most likely knowing I’d quickly catch up as a single anyway.

Could not possibly have been a nicer, more down to earth guy. His friend too. I’m a year or 2 older than him and it could have been any of my friends or other guys my age I could have happened to be matched up with except he hit the ball a mile and had sick PXG’s. Awesome experience and the only encounter like that I’ve ever had. Hope to have another like it!

Couple people replied Spud Webb. I played football at a JUCO that hosts the basketball National championships. We came in from drills and our coach let us watch some BB warmups. Spud was doing a dunk show. It was the most unbelievable and athletic demonstration I've ever witnessed. Teammates were falling out- it was a blast. Short Dude could ball.

The only famous person I've golfed with was a low ranked pro from Austrailia in SoCal. Didn't know his name he just went about his business as we hacked. Said he had played in a few PGA events but was trying to get status. What I noticed was his concentration in just a practice round. I also realized just how good these guys are. He destroyed the course and couldn't make a living.

Couple people replied Spud Webb. I played football at a JUCO that hosts the basketball National championships. We came in from drills and our coach let us watch some BB warmups. Spud was doing a dunk show. It was the most unbelievable and athletic demonstration I've ever witnessed. Teammates were falling out- it was a blast. Short Dude could ball.

Hutchinson, Kansas?