Your Best Round Ever....What Stands Out?

Skippy405

Best round ever was a 79 (I was 15 CAP at the time). What stands out are the 27 putts, 11/14 FW's and 11 GIR's. I've never put a round like that together before that and haven't after. Knowing me, everything will come together after posting season.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

61 on par 70 with a bogey. Granted the course rating was 69.4. Either way....

thing that stuck out, birdied the first 4 holes. After that I EXPECTED to make birdie on every hole that followed. Felt better than sex, Lasted longer too

TMI

probably shouldn't have mentioned the 4 birdies huh?

Yes, sure... er right... yes that's it :no2:.

I shot a 77 back in high school, it was the first time I broke 80 and still my lowest round. What stuck out is I missed nearly every green in regulation. Every chip seemed to track right to the hole though. Hit almost every fairway, couldn't get an iron shot off the ground to save my life but all of them ended up rolling out almost to the green. I hit the ball much better now, but haven't scored close to that in years because I have never had a chipping day like that since.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Best round I ever had was a 5 under 31 in a 9 hole match back in high school. Still a standing section record at that course I believe (it was in 2004). What stuck out? Putting. Made everything I looked at from under 20 ft. Insane day. No remarkable drives or approach shots. In fact I had to get up and down for par 3 times, once from the sand. But when I think back on the better rounds I've had, it's almost always been a good short game day.

I don't play as much as I used to, and am no longer a scratch, but my best rounds these days are when I don't have to think about anything. No swing adjustments or crazy off-pattern shots. Just a calm mid-70s round and a peaceful mind. Those are the days I love golf the most.

Mine happened 2 years ago, I woke up late for my tee time lol... luckily the course wasn't busy... I get to the course and at the time I was having issues with my driver ( still am) and decided to tee off with my 3iron... and I kept everything in the fairway... made several pars, no blow up holes.. and even on the two long par 5s, I hit driver and crushed it.. lol and it was straight .. and turned in a 42 for 9 holes...

Had almost the same thing a couple weeks ago, turned in a 45 for 9 holes... was hitting my irons really well, made a couple pars and didn't 3 putt

67 with my new boss at the time, nobody in the office played and he saw me wearing a golf hat and ask me to play. It was at a beautiful CC in north jersey, I just finished playing college golf and was swinging real well at that time, was around a 1 index. Everything was so smooth that day and I didnt miss a putt, I always had a knack of lighting up nice tracks.

Tied it today, 78 ( I am a 13.2 index)

Never really got in trouble all day. Four over front, with two three putts and a good birdie on nine. Two over on the back, seven pars two bogeys. Got up and down three times (one lob over a green-side bunker, one sand save and one really good putt). The two bogeys were a result of yippy chips off my always nemesis tight lies, thinned them both.

Driver was good all day, and I hit my short irons and wedges really, really well. Probably should have had a few more birdies, as I made two putt par on three approach shots inside 12 feet...

• 4 weeks later...

What stands out to me is how regular of a day it was. The course was fairly empty. That course had mats on the range(I don’t hit off mats) so I didn’t even warm up. Straight to the first tee. Before that I’d always have expectations of what I should shoot(I’m killing it on the range, I should play well this week) Nope, just a regular day on a course I wasn’t familiar with. Maybe that made me play safer and led to lower score? Before that my best rounds always started with a double on the first hole for some reason. But this was just a plain regular day. Not too hot, not too cold, just a good ol day

915 D3 8.5* Attas 7x
CB4 16.5* Kuro Kage HBP 80x
Sldr 19* Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8x
4,5 AP2 714, 6-9MB 714 C-Taper S+
46.8F,50.12F,53.7S,58.8M SM5 C-Taper S+
Ping Karsten TR Zing 34"

I think I've posted before a few times in this thread and maybe I'm an outlier (I doubt it)

But you can go in my handicap scoring record program and sort my best rounds by the GIR stat and there is definitely a real correlation.

If I hit more greens I have more birdies and I obviously wasnt in any trouble along the way. I keep all my stats for every round and I can sort my rounds by a few different categories...

The GIR category and the best overall differentials since 2014 definitely are connected.

Going off memory my lowest rounds were boring rounds where I knocked most my irons and wedges on and made a bunch of birdies.

I shot a 77 on a par 70 a couple of weeks ago. The thing that sticks out most is that I didn’t make a single birdie. Just a lot of pars with a few bogies and couple of doubles. Usually I will shoot around 85 and make a couple birdies but also have a couple of blow up holes. It was actually nice though being consistent throughout the majority of the round.

Mine was just two weeks ago. Biggest thing I remember was that I had my last score card from that same course and my goal was to tie or beat my score on each hole from the previous round.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

Early 80's, Pine Hills on Long Island... 1 under 72(73). One thing that sticks out was a RIDICULOUS 80+ foot putt for eagle. Ball just barely crawled onto the front edge with the pin ALL the way back. It just kept tracking and rolling and tracking for what seemed like forever. The rest of the round was inauspicious as can be. A couple of bogeys and a couple of birdies with a few scrambles for par involved. Didn't realize I was under until we marked up in the clubhouse afterwards.

The thing that sticks out is that nothing sticks out. Nothing special happened. Didn’t hit it to 5 feet every hole, didn’t drain 30 footers left and right. My best round was -7 and I can’t recall one single extraordinary shot. When I was in trouble I played to safety and made pars. When I was in a good position I took advantage. When I had opportunities I was aggressive but not stupid.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

My round is ultimately determined by my short game. I have always been good at saving par even though I couldn't drive if my life depended on it these days. However, my truly great rounds are determined by how well I can use that short game to actually cash in whether it be with manageable and makeable putts or just outright chipping in from around the green or in the bunker.

My lowest recorded round ever was a 68 on a par 72. I chipped in for birdie on the first 2 holes.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I literally had my lowest round today. And the only thing I can say (cliché alert) is I was in the zone.

Three things are common (for me) when I shoot well:

1) I don't remember "thinking' i.e. I've done the wind/yardage/condition calcs and chosen a club immediately. No second guessing.

2) If one of the group is having a shocker i distance myself from them

3) I saw "the shot" immediately and executed as planned.

2 is important to me because you can be balloted with anyone more often than not there's a high cap in the group. If it's going badly, they're throwing clubs, getting annoyed, talking negative so if they're in the rubbish on the right I'll stand quietly up the left. Golf is a game of the mind so if I can keep it clear I do well with my scores.

• 3 weeks later...

Had my best round today. Ironically, I did it with strong winds and playing in the wind has always been a struggle for me. What stands out is that I didn’t really hit any outstanding shots. A lot of good shots, but there isn’t any one shot that would’ve turned heads had it been in competition. I swallowed my pride. Took plenty of club. Swung well within my ability and eliminated the possibility of getting into any major trouble. If I had tried to stretch my irons to their maximum distance the way I typically do, I’m certain my score would have been much higher.

I had my best round ever this afternoon. I usually score between a 72-77 depending on the course but I don't make enough birdies to threaten going under par. Well, that changed today. At Ravisloe Country Club (a Donald Ross course built in 1901 that became open to the public within the last 10 years), I opened with birdies on the 2nd, 3rd and 5th holes. I only had one bogey on 12 and got the stroke back with a birdie on 15. On the par 70 layout, I finished with a 67. All told, it was a very good putting round but what stood out was my ball striking with mid and short irons. It's a lot easier to make pars and birdies when I'm hitting greens than when I'm scrambling with wedges.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Mine was a 65 at the Naval Postgraduate Course in Monterey, CA. What sticks out to me is reaching the par 3 17th, which was a pretty easy hole followed by an easy par 5 18th. I had the course record if I just parred out, but as I approached the 17th, these four old (like in their 70's) guys told me to play through, which I was hesitant to do because I had such a great round going, but I decided to go ahead and play through as a single. I ran up to the tee with an 8i in my hand and fanned one right (right of the bunker), which tumbled down the hill through the trees onto the 18th tee box, which was not OB, but was definitely a tough shot back up over trees, over a bunker to a narrow green. I got into the bunker, then from there across the green to the opposite bunker, then on the green and sunk the putt for a double bogie.

I birdied 18 for for 65, but played those last two holes one over, which (at the time) was a tie for the course record, which of course due to being a single would never count, but I knew.

I should not have played through that foursome of old dudes.

------ That's the heartbreaker ------

Now on to the absolutely the best round ... in Corona, CA, at Champions Club at the Retreat (Jack Nicklaus track). This time I was playing with my wife and daughter, so I had witnesses.

That course starts with a par 5 1st, which requires no more than 5i off the tee to the bottom of a hill to a landing area, which you then have to kill a 2i or 3 fairway across a huge barranca to the fairway, which rises up a big hill to the green perched at the top of the other side. I hit 5i to just short of the bunker at the bottom and then hit a 2i pure, not only did it make the green, but it went in for a 2 (-3 after the 1st hole!). It kept going like that, which put me at -7 after 12 holes, but suddenly ran into a stack of fivesomes, which led us to run out of daylight after 14, where I was 7 under par. I called the clubhouse to ask if I could come back the next day to try to break the course record, but they told me "no" because they had a tournament the next day.

Bummer in the end, but was the best golf I've ever played, including the Albatross on the 1st hole, but also a two putt birdie on par 4, an eagle (PW in from blind 110yd uphill shot) and other great holes. Only 1 bogie that day. Everything was just perfect with irons being insane that day.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

I had one of my best rounds today, only 9 holes, played with my mother who’s 74 so it was more for the conversation and the beauty of the dried-out links course than the golf. I didn’t think about my score until after the round.

Almost as if I wasn’t trying, I had several glorious shots, five 1-putts, and two 2 birdies.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original