17th Hole Bay Hill

Janice_rossiJanice_rossi NYMembers Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
What's the point of a 71st hole of a golf tournament being par 3 which statistically 90% of the field cannot birdie?

Bad for golf, no reason to watch the 72nd hole. Just my $.02.

Comments

• ItIsJackItIsJack Members Posts: 82 ✭✭
    I agree. Tees should have been moved up for that pin
  • McCann1McCann1 Tour Player Members Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    These are the best golfers in the world trying to win at Arnie’s place. It’s supposed to be tough. It’s not always about making birdies it’s about managing yourself better than the guy you’re playing with. And clearly Molinari managed himself better than anybody else today
    Enjoy the chase.
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but what's the point of needing to have a 71st hole that yields birdies left and right?

To me, having to make two good pars to close out a 1 shot lead going to the 71st tee is just as interesting as watching someone birdie what's essentially a par 4.5 to win.

I get that it made it difficult for someone to chase down Molinari. But they could have made more birdies earlier in the round too.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The way the scoring went today, 17 was the "last" hole when chasing Molinari. If you don't birdie, it's over. Take Moliari out of the picture and the finish may have been more interesting, especially with 17 yielding some bogies.

Cobra F Max 10.5*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood
    Cobra Baffler 5H
    PING S57 7-W
    Cleveland CG15 52*, 56*
    Odyssey V Line

• Janice_rossiJanice_rossi NYMembers Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    I'm not taking anything away from the field, the late Mr. Palmer or family. I'm just saying as a "Viewer" I would like to see a risk vs. reward hole. That hole clearly offered no reward
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What's the point of a 71st hole of a golf tournament being par 3 which statistically 90% of the field cannot birdie?

what's wrong with a tough hole where par is a very good score?
  • Janice_rossiJanice_rossi NYMembers Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    tiderider wrote:

Nothing but as a "Viewer" once Fitzpatrick didn't eagle the 16th there was no reason to watch the next 2 holes. Bay Hill is one of my favorite tournaments to watch bc it always seems to have great endings. Not this year. And Cheers to Molinari for an fantastic round of golf!
  • dpattidpatti Members Posts: 229 ✭✭
    I agree you don’t need a hole that “yields birdies left and right” but 220 w no chance of getting it close isn’t much fun to watch.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,275 ClubWRX
    LOL, what a bunch of nonsense.
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It has always been a bad hole. It would play much better at 180 - 190.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    220 yard par 3 17th you say?

71st hole of a tournament you say?

http://youtu.be/QpsAPI6wf1k

http://youtu.be/DO6qIg7aInw
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

tiderider wrote:

Nothing but as a "Viewer" once Fitzpatrick didn't eagle the 16th there was no reason to watch the next 2 holes. Bay Hill is one of my favorite tournaments to watch bc it always seems to have great endings. Not this year. And Cheers to Molinari for an fantastic round of golf!
    Molinari shot 4 under on the back and Fitzpatrick even. Can't blame one hole for that.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • cxxcxx Members Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That's funny, I saw many try and fail on 17 when they needed it most. That was dramatic.
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If molinari was in the last group with a one shot lead coming into 17th we’d all be praising what a great hole it is not allowing a leader to coast to a win.
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • Joker91Joker91 Westminster, COMembers Posts: 572 ✭✭
    People just gonna complain about anything
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

tiderider wrote:

Your view on this was created by Molinari going low early and others having to chase. Otherwise, it’s the variations in score on a hole that cause lead changes...doesn’t matter if it’s birdies vs pars, or pars vs bogies.

tiderider wrote:

giphy.gif
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,784 ClubWRX
    There are professional golfers and then there are WRX'ers. While few PGA tour players could birdie that hole, most on GolfWRX would have taken a 7 iron, hit a 8.327 yard cut and ended up within 3 feet of the hole. The average score for the PGA players would be around 3.5 but the average score of the WRX'ers would be around 1.75 as many would ace the tee shot and the remainder would make birdie.

It's really not that hard of a hole.

Signed...

A delusional WRX'er.
    DavePelz4 wrote:

There are professional golfers and then there are WRX'ers. While few PGA tour players could birdie that hole, most on GolfWRX would have taken a 7 iron, hit a 8.327 yard cut and ended up within 3 feet of the hole. The average score for the PGA players would be around 3.5 but the average score of the WRX'ers would be around 1.75 as many would ace the tee shot and the remainder would make birdie.

It's really not that hard of a hole.

Signed...

A delusional WRX'er.

i'll be honest here ... i'd probably miss the putt ...
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,275 ClubWRX

[media=]

[media=]

Awesome, and embarrassed I didn't think of that for all the reasons it figured in Jack's history there!
  • Poor PosturePoor Posture Members Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭
    Once Molinari was in the clubhouse, they should have moved the pin on 17 to make sure it was more interesting....
    Bigmean, on 08 September 2015 - 07:21 PM, said: "I know it is really frowned upon here, but hitting the club somewhere near the middle is generally the greatest tech advancement you can put in your bag."

Titleist 917d2
    Titleist 917f 15*
    Taylormade V-steel 21* 7w
    4-P Mizuno MMC
    Edel 52*
    PXG 56*
    Byron dh89 raw
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,517 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Good grief. Enough with this “ let’s make it easier “ crap.
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever From this day on, the official language of San Marcos will be Swedish. PAMembers Posts: 339 ✭✭✭✭

[media=]

[media=]

QED
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What course makes the 17th hole a par 3 anyway? Oh wait....most of them. Nothing says they've got to be easy.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution  V2 High Launch - S
    W/S C300 15* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S C300 20*/23* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S Fi5 5-P  DGS300
    W/S PMP 52/56/60  KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Pro Platinum
  • AppAlumAppAlum Members Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    toc wrote:

If molinari was in the last group with a one shot lead coming into 17th we’d all be praising what a great hole it is not allowing a leader to coast to a win.

This.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed!! Let's dig up 17 and start all over again!!

***SARCASM***
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • ctsgolfctsgolf Members Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    The perpetually outraged.
    Taylormade M1  Speeder 661 Evo
    Ping G  Aldila NV 75s
    Titleist T-MB 20°  DG S400
    Titleist 695CB  DG S300 (4-PW)
    Callaway MD Forged  Recoil 125 F4
    Miura  KM-006  

• rangersgoalierangersgoalie Members Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Was too late bringing the example of the “easy” 17th at Pebble image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 11, 2019 2:58pm #30
    Awww poor babies...viewers who want birdies and pros making millions need a nice easy 72nd hole?

The 17th at TPC Sawgrass is even worse - a joke gimmick of a hole made for drinking and hollering spectators.

The course was hard this weekend, end of story. They tucked the pins in places that made me cringe but it was AWESOME seeing professionals try to attack them.

The best player always wins! It actually was almost really close. Cabrera could have birdied 2 of the 3 last holes and tied for the lead for a playoff but he didnt. Heck, Rory had a chance too as he was -8 through 13 but he crapped the bed as well.
  • ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C ClubWRX Posts: 1,463 ClubWRX
    Some people can birdie it

-Chris
    Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights