***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, Passwords were reset to users potentially effected. If you were among these users please use the forget password recovery link:
https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

An observation on shorts on the PGA Tour

dalehead ·  
daleheaddalehead  1657Members Posts: 1,657
i attended the final round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational yesterday and one of the first things I saw was two players walking together down the ninth fairway, both wearing long pants of course. And it struck me that this was a statement that this round of golf was different from your typical round with your Saturday foursome. This was serious business. Me and thousands of others, almost all wearing shorts, were there to have a good time and drink a few beers. They were in the middle of a competitive round played by professionals with not only prize money at stake but in some cases career, future, and family security as well. Tour golf is different. It is a serious business conducted by professionals and they should continue to look like professionals.
Posted:

Comments

• fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure.  10517Members Posts: 10,517
    Petition to make the nba wear business casual on court.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 28639Members Posts: 28,639
    No need for shorts anyway with today’s fabrics. Under armour makes some slacks that you can actually air blow through. And wearing them in rain never once felt water come through. It just pulls it away. And I play in South Carolina. Most humid place in August on earth that isn’t a protected rain forest.
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• MaximilianMaximilian  1470Members Posts: 1,470
    I think they look sloppy without wearing a tie. But of course Justin Thomas looked like a fool when he did wear a tie, so now I'm thinking they should wear bowties. I'm totally gonna hate the guy that wears a bowtie though.

I honestly could not care less if they wore shorts in tournaments, as long as it's up to the players to choose if they wear them or not.

Wonder what would happen if someone showed up for an early Thursday morning tee time on the PGA Tour wearing shorts. Would the starter not let him tee it up? Would they disqualify him after his round? Or maybe it would be more like the time limits you have to hit your shot, they wouldn't be happy about it and maybe give them a warning, but nothing would actually happen?
    Posted:
  • mankumanku  802Members Posts: 802
    Maximilian wrote:

I think they look sloppy without wearing a tie. But of course Justin Thomas looked like a fool when he did wear a tie, so now I'm thinking they should wear bowties. I'm totally gonna hate the guy that wears a bowtie though.

I honestly could not care less if they wore shorts in tournaments, as long as it's up to the players to choose if they wear them or not.

Wonder what would happen if someone showed up for an early Thursday morning tee time on the PGA Tour wearing shorts. Would the starter not let him tee it up? Would they disqualify him after his round? Or maybe it would be more like the time limits you have to hit your shot, they wouldn't be happy about it and maybe give them a warning, but nothing would actually happen?

I had a dress code from 6th-12th grade...jacket and either turtleneck or tie. No jeans, no sneakers.

I got sent home to change numerous times (you would think I would have learned!)...Subway in NYC in the late 70s/early 80s was not the most pleasant place to be...nor were some of the streets!
    Posted:
  • CwebbCwebb  6005Members Posts: 6,005
    No shorts. I like this tradition
    Posted:
  • FergusonFerguson  5414Members Posts: 5,414
    dalehead wrote:

i attended the final round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational yesterday and one of the first things I saw was two players walking together down the ninth fairway, both wearing long pants of course. And it struck me that this was a statement that this round of golf was different from your typical round with your Saturday foursome. This was serious business. Me and thousands of others, almost all wearing shorts, were there to have a good time and drink a few beers. They were in the middle of a competitive round played by professionals with not only prize money at stake but in some cases career, future, and family security as well. Tour golf is different. It is a serious business conducted by professionals and they should continue to look like professionals.

I am with you. The world has become too casual, not only in our attire but our attitudes as well.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • MaximilianMaximilian  1470Members Posts: 1,470
    manku wrote:

Maximilian wrote:

I had a dress code from 6th-12th grade...jacket and either turtleneck or tie. No jeans, no sneakers.

I got sent home to change numerous times (you would think I would have learned!)...Subway in NYC in the late 70s/early 80s was not the most pleasant place to be...nor were some of the streets!

Yeah I probably couldn’t have handled a dress code in my youth either. But now when I have three young kids, I can kind of see the merit of it.

They are required to have tucked in shirts on tour too, right? I’ve seen Rickie a couple times now with an untucked shirt. I think Phil should try wearing shorts this week, as an experiment. He’s already there but doesn’t really want to play. Perfect opportunity!

I don’t really care one way or the other, but my prediction is that people will slowly get used to seeing pros in shorts now and in a few years the European Tour will let them wear them in competition and the PGA Tour will follow a year or two later.
    Posted:
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8195Members Posts: 8,195
    I thought it's shorts in practice rounds only? I do think pants look more professional, but... the women are allowed to wear "non pants" at LPGA events, and all this talk of "gender equality" floating around has me thinking, why not men?

Why aren't we all blessed by Phil's glorious calves on a regular basis? Why must pants hide those beauties???
    Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | HZRDUS Smoke Black
    4w - '16 Tour Issue M1 | Diamana B Series
    UNDECIDED
    Irons - MP-20 SEL 4-PW | Modus 120
    GW - T20 50/7 | Modus 120
    SW - T20 54/8 | Modus 120
    LW - T20 58/12 | Modus Wedge 125
    P - Bettinardi 360-M
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

• Joker91Joker91 Westminster, CO 572Members Posts: 572
    6Vt8iZK.jpg
    Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky  1980Members Posts: 1,980
    No dress down Friday’s or business casual in offices too.

Posted:
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJ 1818Members Posts: 1,818

No need for shorts anyway with today's fabrics. Under armour makes some slacks that you can actually air blow through. And wearing them in rain never once felt water come through. It just pulls it away. And I play in South Carolina. Most humid place in August on earth that isn't a protected rain forest.

So planning a trip to Seapines (Harbour Town) in late June .. crazy or not?
    Posted:

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

Advertisement
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank  14800ClubWRX Posts: 14,800
    It’s time for shorts baby!!
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Togatown22Togatown22 Saratoga Springs, NY 2790Members Posts: 2,790
    Guessing I'm in the minority here, but I don't think it looks "unprofessional" to see a Tour pro practicing or competing in shorts. It looks "different" because it's new, but over time I don't think it will be as noticeable, even in competition rounds. To me, it's not the same as an attorney/financial advisor/wall street guy wearing shorts to the office. These guys are playing an outdoor sport, not sitting in a board room or office all day.
    Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 10.5 GD AD-IZ 6S
    Rogue 15  fairway stock PX Even Flow Blue S
    Rogue 19 3 hybrid stock Synergy S
    Rogue 21 4 hybrid stock Synergy S
    718 AP3 5 DG AWT Black S
    718 AP2 6-Gap DG AWT Black S
    SM7 54.10M, 58.04L DG TI Onyx S400
    Futura 5.5W
    Togatown22 wrote:

Guessing I'm in the minority here, but I don't think it looks "unprofessional" to see a Tour pro practicing or competing in shorts. It looks "different" because it's new, but over time I don't think it will be as noticeable, even in competition rounds. To me, it's not the same as an attorney/financial advisor/wall street guy wearing shorts to the office. These guys are playing an outdoor sport, not sitting in a board room or office all day.

Dress well, and they notice the person.

Dress poorly and they notice the shorts and caffeinated attitude.
    Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 28639Members Posts: 28,639

No need for shorts anyway with today's fabrics. Under armour makes some slacks that you can actually air blow through. And wearing them in rain never once felt water come through. It just pulls it away. And I play in South Carolina. Most humid place in August on earth that isn't a protected rain forest.

For me ? A native who was born outdoors .... not crazy . In fact it’s cooler down there than in the upcountry where I am if you count in sea breeze. It’s 97-102 here plenty of days with 90 plus percent humidity and no wind. Just hydrate all day. That’s all. I wear shorts sometimes . But I wear long pants a lot too when it’s really sunny. Shade helps as much as anything. People wear sleeves too for sun protection. Disclaimer. I also don’t go barefoot. Ever. And detest flip flops. So. Lol

Posted:
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

Ferguson wrote:

Togatown22 wrote:

Bingo. I drill this into my 10 year olds head. Nobody ever missed a job offer for being over dressed. But millions for looking like bums.

Posted:
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

Advertisement
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct  27635Members Posts: 27,635

It's time for shorts baby!!

Ha!

Everybody's middle school gym teacher.
    Posted:

For me ? A native who was born outdoors .... not crazy . In fact it's cooler down there than in the upcountry where I am if you count in sea breeze. It's 97-102 here plenty of days with 90 plus percent humidity and no wind. Just hydrate all day. That's all. I wear shorts sometimes . But I wear long pants a lot too when it's really sunny. Shade helps as much as anything. People wear sleeves too for sun protection. Disclaimer. I also don't go barefoot. Ever. And detest flip flops. So. Lol

I'm with you on the barefoot and flip flops. I can do without the sight of yellowed toe nails, ganglion cysts and dry heels.

And those who choose to sweat pants in public - you are telling the world, "I've given up."
    Posted:
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief  4564ClubWRX Posts: 4,564
    let them wear shorts. it's a stupid tradition imo. it's also hot as heck at some of these tourneys.
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • Togatown22Togatown22 Saratoga Springs, NY 2790Members Posts: 2,790
    Ferguson wrote:

Togatown22 wrote:

Agreed 100%.

There are lots of ways to wear modern-cut, traditionally styled golf shorts that look miles better (and more professional) than the ill-fitting pants some of these guys trot out each week on Tour.
    Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 10.5 GD AD-IZ 6S
    Rogue 15  fairway stock PX Even Flow Blue S
    Rogue 19 3 hybrid stock Synergy S
    Rogue 21 4 hybrid stock Synergy S
    718 AP3 5 DG AWT Black S
    718 AP2 6-Gap DG AWT Black S
    SM7 54.10M, 58.04L DG TI Onyx S400
    Futura 5.5W
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank  14800ClubWRX Posts: 14,800
    Ferguson wrote:

For me ? A native who was born outdoors .... not crazy . In fact it's cooler down there than in the upcountry where I am if you count in sea breeze. It's 97-102 here plenty of days with 90 plus percent humidity and no wind. Just hydrate all day. That's all. I wear shorts sometimes . But I wear long pants a lot too when it's really sunny. Shade helps as much as anything. People wear sleeves too for sun protection. Disclaimer. I also don't go barefoot. Ever. And detest flip flops. So. Lol

I'm with you on the barefoot and flip flops. I can do without the sight of yellowed toe nails, ganglion cysts and dry heels.

But those are my good qualities.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Advertisement
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJ 1818Members Posts: 1,818
    Ferguson wrote:

And those who choose to sweat pants in public - you are telling the world, "I've given up."

Flip Flops, sandals.. Guys.. ENOUGH ALREADY.
    Posted:

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

Ferguson wrote:

Bingo. They actually have “ wear pajamas to school day. “. For middle school age kids. Wtf ? Are we just saying “ be as lazy as you can. Don’t even bother to get dressed today “.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

• Night trainNight train  2885Members Posts: 2,885
    Togatown22 wrote:

Ferguson wrote:

Togatown22 wrote:

Agreed 100%.

There are lots of ways to wear modern-cut, traditionally styled golf shorts that look miles better (and more professional) than the ill-fitting pants some of these guys trot out each week on Tour.

The same guys who wear ugly ill fitting slacks.........will wear ugly ill fitting shorts
    Posted:
  • OldboyOldboy  2458Members Posts: 2,458
    i'm sure bobby jones or harry vardon would think these guys are dressed like hobos .. its all relative folks .. spikeless sneakers have made there way onto the hallowed grounds of the professional game .. gotta evolve or die

in what other "sport" do the professionals wear pants ...... cricket .. polo? .. soooo .. there's that
    Posted:
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer  1677Members Posts: 1,677
    False. Old guard propaganda is strong in this thread..... let them wear towels (or shorts)

edit: Tiger playin in shorts at Players practice round...lookin good
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts

Advertisement
  • BiggErnBiggErn  2703Members Posts: 2,703
    Barfolomew wrote:
    False. Old guard propaganda is strong in this thread..... let them wear towels (or shorts)

I agree. Who cares what they wear. Lots of these around.

Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 18920ClubWRX Posts: 18,920
    Time for rangefinders.
    Posted:
    Time for Rory to change caddies.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Azinger bad. Hicks bad. Faldo bad. Nantz bad. Koch bad. Roger ---- couldn't even type that as a joke.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file