Your latest "shot that keeps you coming back"

Comments

• hacker777hacker777 Members  8WRX Points: 41Handicap: 12Posts: 8 Bunkers

Got stuck behind trees with low hanging branches about 175 yards out on 380 yard par 4, I hit a.solid 4 iron punch that never more than 10 feet off the ground and rolled right up to the front fringe, ended up saving par.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members  1419WRX Points: 522Handicap: 12Posts: 1,419 Platinum Tees

167y from the green today into a gusty wind.

Second shot, after driving my tee shot behind a tree.

Had to aim my 6 Iron about 40* left to avoid the tree in front of me, so opened the face considerably, legs pointing way left.

Shot went like a dream, so much so that the slice I got came back on itself, the ball rolling onto the fringe at the front of the green in a direction that was almost 90* from the way my feet were pointing.

I almost went home, my job was done. My playing partner stood there open-mouthed.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Fairways: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff and TaylorMade M6 3 Wood
    Utility: Wilson Staff Model Utility #3 Regular KBS
    Hybrid: Titleist TS2 21* Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G410 5-PW (#5 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Callaway MD5 Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 50, 54 and 58
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members  2810WRX Points: 1,099Posts: 2,810 Titanium Tees

Stuck a 5 wood from 210 out right on the green 8ft from the pin on #6 last night. Couldnt do it twice if you paid me to.

Posted:

President of ShaftHos Anonymous

Epic Flash / Apex 19 / Apex + Pro / Epic / MD4 / Spider Mini . || . ATMOS TS Black / Kai'li / Pro 2.0 / 1050Gh / GD AD-UT / 610

• JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever In a big country, dreams stay with you PAMembers  433WRX Points: 360Posts: 433 Greens

Striping a 7i on a par 3 directly over the pin and over the green...against the wind. Bad result, but the swing felt pure.

Posted:
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members  1059WRX Points: 701Handicap: 12Posts: 1,059 Platinum Tees

In the same round: cashed in an eagle from 65 yards with a hop and roll-in.

Later, playing a par 5: good drive into fairway, chunked fairway wood 30 yards into a bunker, took my medicine with a 9 iron and had 165 to the green from fairway. Pulled 6 iron due to wind and pured a high 8-10 yard draw that disappeared over a hill towards the flag. Buttery feel, tour style diviot. Thinking about whether I can make the putt, or if I even hit the green, I walk up and see the ball a foot from the cup. Tap-in par, and probably career best iron shot.

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

• NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members  3651WRX Points: 232Posts: 3,651 Titanium Tees

last full shot of my round yesterday. 6 iron against the wind that landed 15 feet past the pin and stopped. It went dead straight and didn’t move off line more than a foot to the right. It made up for the double and Triple on the holes before.

Posted:
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-PW Titleist AP1s
    50 degree GW Titleist SM4
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7 
    Ping Anser 6 Milled Putter

Advertisement
  • SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Rapid City, SDMembers  893WRX Points: 172Handicap: 13.5Posts: 893 Golden Tee

70 yards out in the fairway on Sunday on a par 4. Finally hit a solid 3/4 wedge to about 2 feet and made birdie. I have been struggling with my 80 yards and in shots so horribly this year (either blading it 40 yards by or chunking it 10 feet) that it felt amazing to finally hit a 3/4 shot that stopped right below the hole!

Posted:
    Cobra King F8 Driver Aldila NV-2KXV Green 65 Stiff (9 degree setting, Draw Weight Placement, -3/4")
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood Aldila NV-2KXV Blue 70 Stiff (14.5 degree setting, -1/2")
    Callaway Apex 19 3-4 Hybrids (Project X Catalyst 5.5 Flex, -1/2" for both)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5 Iron Thru G Wedge - KBS Regular Flex Steel Shafts
    Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")
  • el_roussoel_rousso Members  18WRX Points: 26Posts: 18 Bunkers

Two stories for me, one last week, and another one the week before during a tournament... Before that, quick info about my golfing abilities, I'm playing off 15-16 hdcp, usually scoring in the high 80s-low 90s, around 240-250y average driving distance, but I can hold my own around the green (i.e. let's say inside 30y)...

Setting : Par-5, 460y a bit uphill, big sand trap in the middle of the fairway about 220 from the tee (stretches to about 235), then a lake on the right front side of the green, 25 yards before it...

I hit a good drive, about 240y carry but not much roll, giving me a 200ish second shot, so I take out the FW, line up the shot, and see the ball drop on the green, two small hops and stop, about 3 feet from the hole...

Needless to say it was probably the easiest eagle putt I've ever had to make !

And then the tournament shot, I was on the third-to-last hole, a driveable par-4 (265y to the flag), so I set up, and end up with an almost perfect swing landing the ball about 15-20 feet from the hole (which I then missed for eagle, fortunately I birdied)...

These are my latest "keep coming back" shots !

Posted:
    Driver : Srixon Z765
    Fairway wood : Cleveland Launcher DST (3W)
    Hybrid : Cleveland Launcher DST (3H-4H)
    Irons : Cleveland CG2 (5-PW)
    Wedges : Cleveland 900FF Chrome (52°) / American Open SW (56°) / Cleveland 588TA (60°)
    Putter : Taylormade Rossa Siena
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers  581WRX Points: 721Posts: 581 Golden Tee

My last putt of the round this morning.

+2 going into 18, a shortish par 5. I already knew I had my best round of the year in the bag unless I either keeled over dead or lost the use of a limb or something. First time playing the course so I couldn't really tell from the tee that the right side of the fairway was a bad place to be. Of course my drive was off to the right as I'd been fading my driver all day long. If I'd have been 10 yards left, I could have gone for it in two but where I was, a tree was right in my line so I decided to just knock down a 9 iron and try to leave myself 100 yards in.

I dunno what happened; like maybe I set up on the wrong line or just pulled it but I hit my worst shot of the day way left of where I wanted. Wound up 160 out in the rough on the left side, water at the front right of the green.

At this point I'm like ... for god's sake, do NOT go in the water. My miss all day with my mid irons had been leaving them a little out to the right so I lined up way left of the green to stay safe. Hit a nice little 6 iron from a bit of a flier lie that drifted left of the green. So we're safe and pin high but now looking at a not-tough pitch that needed to clear a mound, then land on a downhill slope to the pin. Hit what I thought was a perfect little pitch with my 56° but ... I dunno how or why, it caught that downhill slope and checked up and stopped dead. "Why didn't you run?!"

Now I've got about 15 feet to save par. Again, even if I missed it, it'd been my best round in forever anyway but I really, really didn't wanna lose a stroke on 18 ... a short, not even hard par 5. I just played it like an idiot and put myself in the worst position off the tee.

So the putt wasn't the easiest read. It was one of those sidehill putts that unless you get the line and touch perfect, it's not dropping. And I really couldn't decide on a line. Finally went with left edge. Set up, let it roll and I immediately thought "****, I didn't put enough on it."

Somehow, it kept holding above the cup. As it got closer, I was like "Yep, definitely not enough" ... but it kept trickling ... got to the left edge ... hung for a second ... then dropped.

I hit some great shots today but that putt ... dang.

Posted:

Titleist TS4 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 FW 15°, 18°
    Titleist TS2 Hybrid 19° 22°
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-6
    Mizuno MP-20 MB 7-PW
    Miura 52°, 56° RTG
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

• iutoddiutodd Members  267WRX Points: 89Posts: 267 Greens

Playing with two really good golfers.

Hit a great fairway wood to the right side of the fairway, then I hit a pitching wedge to 6 feet. Buried the putt. The putt felt so good. I’ve had such a rough time putting this summer - switching putters and my approach to putting has worked. That birdie will keep me coming back.

Posted:
  • avgjoe88avgjoe88 Members  39WRX Points: 41Posts: 39 Bunkers

Mine was actually yesterday. We were at a small course in Spencer, IN playing a golf scramble. We were one the last whole, a par 5. Most of my shots were a little, eh, all day so I wanted to make this one count. I stepped up made sure my ball was teed up perfectly, took two deep breaths, and absolutely ripped the ball at least 275. It was one of those shots where you knew everything lined up absolutely perfectly in that split second. It felt nice, sounded nice, and looked absolutely beautiful, couldn't have ended the day any better.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members  1419WRX Points: 522Handicap: 12Posts: 1,419 Platinum Tees

Today was a round that keeps me coming back, probably the best driving and iron performance of my life. Ended up 6 over including a drop and two three-putts. Didn’t sink a single putt over 4 foot all round, ironic really as my putting has been great recently and I have 12 putters. Didn’t play badly with the putter but nothing dropped at all.

My irons on the other hand, were dynamite, hitting an 8I and a 6I to less than two feet and pretty much hitting the green with every shot from inside 170y.

Posted:
    Fairways: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff and TaylorMade M6 3 Wood
    Wedges: Callaway MD5 Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 50, 54 and 58
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members  2810WRX Points: 1,099Posts: 2,810 Titanium Tees

Got a hole in one this weekend. Was pretty anticlimactic.

Posted:

President of ShaftHos Anonymous

Epic Flash / Apex 19 / Apex + Pro / Epic / MD4 / Spider Mini . || . ATMOS TS Black / Kai'li / Pro 2.0 / 1050Gh / GD AD-UT / 610

• getitdailygetitdaily Members  3406WRX Points: 498Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,406 Titanium Tees

Greenside bunker shot on 18 to break 70 for the 1st time since 2005.

Posted:
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers  1368WRX Points: 815Handicap: 11.1Posts: 1,368 Platinum Tees

There’s this strong drive then crisp 4 iron on- at this par 5 I know at my home course, has me looking at eagle chances if I can put it together.. Then that putt stands in the way.

I’m hunting this eagle every weekend.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5* Driver                  HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0         Tour Velvet std 
    Adams Tightlies 2 16*3 Wood        whatevers stock                 Tour Velvet std  
    Titleist TS3 19*    Hybrid                 HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0         Tour Velvet std 
    Titleist 716 TMB  4-P                       DG S300                            Tour Velvet Align 2 wraps  
    Titleist SM7 52.12F (bent to 49.09)DG S400                            Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 56.10S                          DG S400                            Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 60.12D                          DG S400                            Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SC Terryllium Fastback 1.5  34" loft 6.5                        Pistolini Plus  
    Titleist PROV1                                   ball
    Kirkland sig                                       glove 
    FJ rain glove                                     glove (rain)  

WITB:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1729394-timbo929-witb/
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers  581WRX Points: 721Posts: 581 Golden Tee

Big ol' draw of a 5 iron to 10 feet to a pin tucked behind a bunker today. Goddamn, that just tracked nicely. Missed the putt low but that shot was too pretty to dismiss.

Sometimes, I think I have this game figured out.

Posted:

Titleist TS4 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 FW 15°, 18°
    Titleist TS2 Hybrid 19° 22°
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-6
    Mizuno MP-20 MB 7-PW
    Miura 52°, 56° RTG
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Advertisement

On -, @aenemated said:

Sometimes, I think I have this game figured out.

You crazy fool!

Posted:
  • buckrogers71buckrogers71 Members  425WRX Points: 131Posts: 425 Greens

played Sunday and there were a couple of shots. 1. rolled in a snake from about 25' for birdie. 2. Little delicate chip to kick in range 3. Maybe the best (for me) top a drive about 100 yards and then killed a 4 wood (been struggling with that club a bit). But maybe most importantly I've been playing decently and not making a ton of bonehead mistakes.

Posted:
  • noahgolfingnoahgolfing Members  2WRX Points: 10Handicap: 27Posts: 2 Starters

Hardest hole on my home course, good drive but a horrible fat second shot in to the hazard. Took a drop and a penalty stroke still 200 yds to the pin above some trees and I managed to hit my 5 iron to 15 feet. That shot made me feel good, wish I could hit the ball like this before being in trouble.

Posted:
  • hagimihalehagimihale Members  108WRX Points: 74Posts: 108 Fairways

Been working on a punch draw with my hybrids, something to keep under the wind and take advantage of certain doglegs near me. Played this past Sunday and the wind was howling. 15-20 yards short when it was in your face. 4th hole is a long par-3, about 195 from the blue tees that day, and the wind was dead in my face. Took my 21* hybrid (normally about 210 carry), aimed at the right bunker and it went just like I pictured it; turned over on the way down. landed on the front edge and rolled to the middle of the green. I'm still smiling at the thought of it...

Posted:

Titleist 913D2 10.5*, Diamana S+ Limited 60S

Titleist 913F 15*, Diamana S+ 72X

Titleist 818H2 19* / 21* Tensei Pro White 90S

Mizuno MP-54 4-PW, Dynamic Gold X100

Mizuno S18 50* / 54* Dynamic Gold S400

Taylor Made TP Rossa Fontana Kia Ma

• Sean2Sean2 Members  32492WRX Points: 2,492Posts: 32,492 Titanium Tees

I haven't played since last November. The only thing that keeps me practicing is I am a devoted ****.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

Advertisement
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16538WRX Points: 874Handicap: Low-Mid SDPosts: 16,538 Titanium Tees

Have two recent shots in the same round, rattling around in my memory banks that I love rethinking.

On an undulated Par 5 green I was lying 3 on the right fringe with a protruding hump jetting into the green causing a tiered affect. The pin was about 25yds away in the back left corner and greens were running. Contour of the green in the back was higher than where the cup was. I had a good lie so no excuse. Using LW I had to land the ball in the right spot on the hump so it started rolling towards the back of the green then catch the contour and turn hard left, almost backwards to catch the cup. It was as pretty as one can be, dropped center cut for a birdie.

The other was on a Par 4 second shot using 8 iron. Thanks to a "Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy" gust that knocked the ball down short of the green, in other words I was short-sided, yuck. It was on an ok uphill lie with a large sprinkler head on the apron so couldn't putt, directly between my ball and where I had to land the ball to get at the cup. Left-side green bunker and contour was pushing the ball left. Using LW I had to hit a dead-hand flop shot so the ball would land softly in the right spot and take the contour slowly enough to the left to catch the cup. It was pretty shot that did exactly what it was suppose to do. Dang, that day I had a pretty good round, considering. The best part of golf comes when I have LW in hand.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1

• StonewalledStonewalled Members  1672WRX Points: 183Posts: 1,672 Platinum Tees

Congrats on the HOI NRJyzr, tag your it ("that guy")😀

Heck of a shot, 206 yards well done. Hard to see it drop from that far, but dropped she did.

Like u said hard to beat an ace from 206, mine was 195 to the middle with a back pin, wished I had a battery in my range finder to get an actual distance, thinking closer to 200 for me. Hopefully we can improve on our best in 2020.

Posted:
  • pat_katopat_kato ClubWRX  165WRX Points: 146Posts: 165 ClubWRX

I've never been a player that could call his shot consistently. However, after a drive that went right of the fairway 10-15 yards behind a tree I had to hit a shot that turned hard right to avoid a tree and hit the green about 190 yards out. Called the shot, hit it, it turned PERFECTLY to hit the pin!...then it rolled 15 yards away after the ricochet off the flag. Even still, I'll never forget that shot.

I've tried to replicate this shot under similar circumstances but nope.

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max 9º Ventus Black 6s Stiff Flex
    Fairway: TaylorMade SIM Max 3 Wood Ventus Blue 7s Stiff Flex
    Hybrid: TaylorMade SIM MAX 3H Ventus Blue 6s Flex
    Irons: Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-P True Temper Dynalite 105 Stiff Flex
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 52º F Grind, 56º M Grind, 60º M Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7129WRX Points: 1,158Handicap: 7Posts: 7,129 Titanium Tees

Congrats right back at ya, Stone. 😁💪

195, back pin, sounds like 202 to me. Anything that distance is a fairly big deal IMHO.

Can't find something like that in a CrackerJack box. (just dated myself, LOL)

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.25"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.25"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805
  • MOABMOAB Members  77WRX Points: 63Posts: 77 Fairways

Par 5: Driver OB, Driver into the rough, long iron into the green 45 ft away, sunk the putt for par.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • uitar9uitar9 Members  452WRX Points: 118Handicap: LOLPosts: 452 Greens

Approach shots that hit the green and stick around.

Posted:
    KZG OS11 12 degree driver
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway 20.5 heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    KZG 5-PW irons
    KZG 52 and 56 and cobra 60 wedges
    TM Spider mallet
  • Stephen1987Stephen1987 Members  11WRX Points: 18Posts: 11 Bunkers

Lovely 6 iron I had to draw round a big tree to a flag on a narrow part of the green. Still no idea how I done it but I'll never forget it. There's always at least 1 shot per round that keeps us coming back otherwise I'd of chucked this game a long time ago.

Posted:
  • PworldPworld Members  358WRX Points: 72Handicap: 10.5Posts: 358 Greens

i played a practice round.

I was uphill about 147 out. Lets say i could see the top of the flag but not the green.

My 6 iron (i am a very short hitter and im trying to fix it) usually is my 140 club.

I was working on keeping my chest covering the ball, other than that. just swing lose and free.

I hit 3 shots from that spot. one 6 feet from the hole pin high. (win), the other was about 10 yards past the pin on the back of the green.Both dead straight where i aimed, ball first contact (what i have been chasing my whole life), with an amazing forged iron strike sound. I know thats "how i'm supposed to hit it"

I got more distance the right way. With ease and accuracy.

This is what got me excited about golf. about practice. about playing. This is what makes me come back. When i find one simple thing to focus on that gives me hope i can enjoy golf more.

P.S. tried the covering the ball thought on all clubs at the range today. Wow. driver, hybrid, FW, irons. I CANNOT WAIT TO PLAY AGAIN!

Posted:
    Ping G410+ 9 degree / Titleist 917D2 10.5 degree

Titleist 917F 16.5degree
    Titleist 913F 21degree
    Titleist 816H1 24degree 5H
    NIKE VPC 5-PW
    Callaway MD3 52/56 Wedges
    TM Spider X (Chalk) / Nike Method Origin B1-01 Putter
    Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

Balls: Nike Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone B330-RXS, TM TP5x

Advertisement
  • bonvivantvabonvivantva Members  226WRX Points: 35Handicap: 21.9Posts: 226 Fairways

I played 9 holes on vacation in the Cayman Islands recently. We had a first timer with us and in my cart, so my focus was not really on my game. I can only think of one other decent shot in the round, which was sticking an island green on 18. I was off to the right side, with a very long putt, but on is on I guess.

The shot that I remember best was a bunker with an ice cream consistency that was 85 yards out. I hit a SW and put it about 8 feet from the pin. I'm not sure I've ever hit a full shot from a bunker and stuck a green before.

Posted:

Titleist R11s

Ping G2 3W

Ping G5 3H 19*

Mizuno JPX800

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.