Paired up with a lunatic. [Long story warning]

I can't see handling it too much differently. I imagine someone is going to hand this guy his lunch soon enough. You can only blowup like that for so long before you do it to the wrong guy.

+1

It's easy to encounter people like the dude above, who are prone to explosive behavior.

I do my best to stay out of their way, whether on the golf course, highway, store, etc.

Sooner or later, they will encounter someone with the same tendencies and something bad will happen which we'll get see on YouTube.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did his wife do during this rant? Was she horribly embarrassed?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Thanks for all the responses. The whole situation was so strange that I had to write it down, lest I forget any details.

You handled it VERY well.....how these people get through life without having a bent broken nose and missing teeth is beyond me.

The temptation to hurt this guy was real. He's a perfect example of the kind of person the song The Remedy by Puscifer is about.

Check it out:

Oh my gosh this is so long! You never stop typing! You could have gotten a full bag fitting in the time it took the type this!!!

LOL - I knew I was setting myself up for this. Well played sir.

Ok, let me represent another sixty something... I don't know how you could have handled it any better, sorry you had to go through that. It really sounds like he has deeper issues than just golf, and he's just bitter about life. It just seems to come out when he plays golf. I feel sorry for his wife, bet she's a real trooper. Anyway, people like you make me proud of the younger generation, you did well.

Cheers! I also feel sorry for his wife. I'm glad they were gone by the time I was returning the cart, cause I fully intended to give her my condolences for having to put up with him. I'm sure that would have gone over very well!

P.S. There might be something to take away on your end? Just exactly how much of a chatty Cathy are you on the course? Some people find it off-putting but never should they react the way this guy did.

Oh, there's no doubt. I LOVE to talk! I completely recognize this about myself, but usually I can also recognize when it seems to bother someone (very rarely). This guy didn't seem bothered at all, but he also wasn't engaging very much, so I was already talking less than I usually would. The reality is that my love of talking serves me well, WAY more than it hurts me, and when I do run into someone who is offended by my overly verbose ways, I can shake it off pretty easily. This guy was only using the talking thing, cause he couldn't form a coherent argument about anything else. I think his biggest issue was that I was somehow supposed to just accept whatever he said, as he was my elder and should be respected as such. On the first green of the day, his wife was asking how long I've lived in Vegas, and if I had gone to school here. I said I had moved here about 7 years ago, but not for school. He kinda chortled, and said: "what, when you were twelve?", as if to say that I looked very young. I said thanks, but you're off by a decade or two, and he rolled his eyes at me. I didn't think much of it in the moment, but he probably was already forming the opinion that I was somehow just a punk kid. He also seemed mildly offended at the idea that I could afford to take a week long golf road trip up the coast last month. God only knows how he would have reacted if I told how much the PXGs actually cost, even with the great deal I got!

Well written. You handled it well, OP. I would certainly have made a mess of that situation. That guy reminds me of the guy with the Jeff Bridges voice in this video (caution: a lot of swearing)

The tone and volume of his voice are really spot on! I was a little bit more able to get a word in edgewise, but not much.

Good job OP

Personally, I would have egged him on in a calm manner

"Sir how can you not know what PXG irons are, these are worth more than your whole set"

"Stop acting like a 13 yr old"

"You're the worst 5 capper I've ever met"

"You seem to be a know it all yet know very little"

Of course he may have had a glock in his bag so the smarty pants plan may have "backfired"

This guy is likely a single child that got his own way his whole life by throwing temper tantrums ... his poor wife

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Good job OP

Personally, I would have egged him on in a calm manner

"Sir how can you not know what PXG irons are, these are worth more than your whole set"

"Stop acting like a 13 yr old"

"You're the worst 5 capper I've ever met and there's no way you would ever beat an LPGA pro"

"You seem to be a know it all yet know very little"

Of course he may have had a glock in his bag so the smarty pants plan may have "backfired"

This guy is likely a single child that got his own way his whole life by throwing temper tantrums ... his poor wife

Updated...

Great story. It always amazes me how many angry people there are out on a golf course. I guess they'd rather be working. I worked as a Marshall one summer and quit after some guy threatened to beat me with a club. There were so many angry golfers. I carried a big bag of found balls and I would give them out if there was a wait on the tee or a group seemed particularly pissed

Mp

Dang, that is a rough time on the course. I'm really thankful that I haven't had an experience like that. I'm usually pretty calm and leveled headed but in that situation with him being that disrespectful I'd have probably lost it and made it much much worse.

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

Great story. It always amazes me how many angry people there are out on a golf course. I guess they'd rather be working. I worked as a Marshall one summer and quit after some guy threatened to beat me with a club. There were so many angry golfers. I carried a big bag of found balls and I would give them out if there was a wait on the tee or a group seemed particularly pissed

What course did you work at?

Maybe if the OP wouldn't have kept grabbing the wife's butt, he wouldn't have been so p!ssed off. lol

Never ran into that guy on the course before, but probably 15 years ago at a bar I went to see my sister play in her band. I'm sitting at the bar with this girl I just met, having a friendly chat during a set break, and this guy is walking around trying to promote the local Arena Bowl Football team, giving away tickets. He was not drunk. He offered us a couple of tickets, and I politely declined, saying I'm not interested, and kept trying to push them on me, asking why I don't want them, over and over again. I eventually said something to the effect "just give them to someone who cares about it".

Man, that lit a firestorm in this guy! He went apecrap, screaming at me at the top of his lungs about how he was going to kick my Word not allowed.

I played with that guy in Washington......

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I had an issue with a Ranger two years ago. I golf a lot with my kids. They know to keep pace and if they don't they don't play until we're in position. This guy incorrectly identified us as the problem even though it was clearly the fivesome in front of us. I had waited 15 plus minutes to hit into a par 5 (I was only 180 out so there was no way I was laying up to keep pace, then the next was a drivable (easily so) par 4. He actually demanded that I hit into them. I wasn't even holding driver, I had a three wood out. After him telling me to hit repeatedly, in disgust i went to my bag and grabbed my 3i and proceeded to put that ball close enough to the green that the entire group looked back at the tee. The entire time I'm pleading with him to just look at the situation (you could see the group ahead of this fivesome clearing the green on the par 5 12th while they were still on the green on 11). He then told us that we needed to let the next two groups play through, I asked him why???? I told him I, as a non ranger, could easily identify the pace problem and it wasn't us. I did lose my temper a bit I'm ashamed to say. I certainly didn't threaten him in any way. I never let anyone play through since we were waiting on every shot. There was no point. Every single shot of a three hour nine. You can see 16 through 18 from 15 on this course and by the time we hit 15 there's wasn't another group ahead of the group in front of us.

Still ticks me off over two years later and even though that was one of my favorite courses it was well over s yesr before I played there again. To their credit, even though I know they remembered me and the situation, they did their best to make me welcome. While the ranger didn't apologize, and not that I really wanted him to I just wanted him to know enough about what was going on to not carte blanche blame the guy with the kids, he did come down after I hit a monster drive on one and congratulated me (even though he's seen me kill it there before so it's not like this should have been news to him. I took it as "let's all just move on" and I did.

He's kinda got a point though.. so I'll do you a favor and trade your PXG for a gently used set of Ping Gs in regular graphite! :taunt:

I like the way you think. I'll go one better. If you're going to be accused of playing blades, I've got a 80's era set of something of which I forget the brand sitting in the garage. I hit a neighbors garage sale and got three old golf bags filled with about 4 full sets and another 2-3 sets of hodge podge stuff. So I'll one up his offer. I'll give you two sets of actual real blades for them. One will be matched and the other will be a mixer. Deal? There's not too much rust, and besides it adds a nice petina to real blades.

Nice story but...

PXG are a solid club. I am a 3 handicap so I do know this.

Second, you just write, write, write, write. Do you ever stop writing?

I write a lot too. At least his had a point. Mine are mostly random ramblings. As always, feel free to pass over a story that is too long for ones attention span. I for one write the way I like to read. I don't want to read something like "eye 2's" when someone asks what irons one plays. I'd rather know why and a few rounds of hole by hole results are even better. I come here for entertainment. Someone spending some time writing something is entertaining to me. Ymmv.

Although I did see what you did there. :) So consider the above more of a random rambling.

Unfortuantley mental illness is present in golf and golf seems to bring on mental illness in normal people. As bad as your day is think how emotionally abused his wife would be, if he is like that on the course he is like that at home. I admire how you handled it and didn't smash him in front of his wife.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite