2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SI cover: the Ultimate Troll

Christosterone

Wow....just wow...

Did Sports Illustrated hire Chamblee as their new editor..???

Anyhow, everyone hail the new era of trolling...

-Christosterone

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that tells you everything you need to know about the state of golf in the consciousness of sports fan.

Once Tiger is well and truly out of the picture, golf can return to the backwaters of pro sports, somewhere a notch above tennis.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Um, injuries and personal problems happened.

Agreed...but just over 2 years ago when he was healthy he won 5 times in a single season including a Players Championship...

So it's not like he sucks now...

He will probably pass Snead's all time mark in the next decade and perhaps much less likely catch Jacks major record....either way, he is in his forties and still has a punchers chance at becoming the greatest of all time....

It is frustrating to me that NOBODY recognizes his 2013 season(the last time he was healthy) and he was dominating....remember fowler crumbling on Sunday down the stretch at bay hill?

I think it's premature to bury him...just like Trevino told the press in 80 regarding Jack...he begged them to not wake the bear...

-Christosteronw

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

And that tells you everything you need to know about the state of golf in the consciousness of sports fan.

Once Tiger is well and truly out of the picture, golf can return to the backwaters of pro sports, somewhere a notch above tennis.

Sadly, this will probably be true. Golf has always been seen as elitist and closed off, and frankly most golfers I know don't do anything to dispute it.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Sadly, this will probably be true. Golf has always been seen as elitist and closed off, and frankly most golfers I know don't do anything to dispute it.

I'm counting down the days until this happens. Can't wait

Agreed...but just over 2 years ago when he was healthy he won 5 times in a single season including a Players Championship...

He will probably pass Snead's all time mark in the next decade and perhaps much less likely catch Jacks major record....either way, he is in his forties and still has a punchers chance at becoming the greatest of all time....

It is frustrating to me that NOBODY recognizes his 2013 season(the last time he was healthy) and he was dominating....remember fowler crumbling on Sunday down the stretch at bay hill?

I think it's premature to bury him...just like Trevino told the press in 80 regarding Jack...he begged them to not wake the bear...

-Christosteronw

2013 will become known as his last hurrah. One last run of wins before succumbing to injuries and personal issues. Like Hulk Hogan always rallied when that arm was about to drop a 3rd time, that is TWs 2013. He is finished now however.

-Christosteronw

I agree. They are just trying to sell magazines. This is a more appropriate discussion for if/when he retires still sitting on 14.

It's a legitimate question, not trolling.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I would rather read an article such as "Can he come back?" and draw parallels to other athletes that rose to the top and fell. Highlight some that made it back like Agassi and some that didn't. Nothing will exactly mirror Woods' experience but it's a more interesting angle than pretending we don't know why he's gotten to this point.

I'm counting down the days until this happens. Can't wait

Let's just close all the First Tee's in inter cities. That'll show 'em! :clapping:

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

I don't know guys.....

Trying to figure out what did actually happen is probably legitimate journalism.

Regardless of the physical injuries the psychoanalytic take of the article is worth exploring. Let's face it - Tiger ain't the same guy as he used to be.

With that said....once the confidence is dented then it's hard as hell to get the edge back.

But it would be a great story Tiger did make it back into the winner's circle of a Major.

They could make another movie....

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

A better title would've been "Will we ever see the Stripes again?" That would sell magazines, trust me.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Let's just pretend Tiger went through all the personal stuff but had a healthy body. Would he have more wins....almost for sure. Would he have more majors? Who knows? I mean mentally he just fell apart in the majors when you thought he was going to move up the leaderboard, post accident. Majors are REALLY hard to win, some of the all-time greats have only won around 5. Seve, Faldo (6) Phil etc. Tiger needs that total to surpass Jack, it's not going to happen......

So what happened?, life happened, Watson, Seve, and a bunch of others quit winning majors at an early age. Jack spoiled the golf world by winning majors over a 25 year span. Tiger was phenomenal for 11 years, winning 14, that is one of the all-time great achievements in sport.

People.....you just need to let go......appreciate Tiger for what he was, because it's over. Even if he comes back, and feels healthy he has had 3 back surgeries. To play at a high level you have to practice and play a LOT of golf. The wear and tear on a young healthy person is difficult, but when you are over 40 and have had 3 back surgeries I just don't see how you can practice enough to be sharp then travel, play practice rounds, hit balls, putt practice the short game, do a pro am, practice and then play 4 intense rounds of tournament golf.

If Tiger does come back and win a major again, it will be a flash in the pan and he will be done. Again Jack was different because once he established his game he just didn't practice that much and could still compete, his swing held up because he didn't change it, he could repeat it even with little practice. Tiger is not wired that way. He has to go full bore.

Seems SI is just trying to sell magazines, which they struggle to do in this day and age I am sure. This is not a "vexing" question at all, it is actually quite obvious what happened.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

What happened? Took a long time for me to believe it but substances that were once legal and currently are no longer is what happened. The ability for fast recovery.

Tiger will always be my favorite to watch and undeniably the best ever...but it's obvious what happened. I was on the side of saying he never did a thing until I listened to a solid interview of the guy that was making the stuff...makes a ton of sense and changed my thinking completely.

I hope he comes back soon and I think he'll win again...just needs to get healthy. Plenty of guys won in their 40s.

I am always puzzled by these comments. Tiger was here, kicked some butt and now he is irrelevant just like any athlete from any sport. Yet, most Tiger fans refuse to give in to the fact that he is, in fact, irrelevant. They hold on to the fact that if he was in a tournament that 'numbers' would be up, how he grew the sport etc.... yet, in the same breath, complain about pace of play, the price of equipment, cost of going to an event etc.

My love for the sport has grown over the years because I love it... not because of Jack or Tiger or Jordan et al. I watch from Thursday to Sunday because I like to watch golf not because of who's playing.

Tiger fans are all but HOPING golf reverts back to the backwaters of pro sports and to more of an elitist, closed off sport so they can remember the good ole days when Tiger stomped everyone up and down the fairways. They want to stand up and proclaim their 'I TOLD YOU SO'S'!!!

Like anyone famous or those who've dominated their profession we must celebrate what they've done, set the bar for the next superstar and continue to say to the young ones of 20+ years.... "If you only could have seen Tiger.... THAT was special." Then we can have an argument about who is better... Tiger or the kid that is not even born yet.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

I guess my wife is the troll today. She emailed me a link to the article, so I wasted time reading it.

It really is a nothing piece, seriously. Just a summary of what's happened, like nobody hasn't had it hashed and rehashed dozens of times.

On a more interesting note, seeing the cover reminds me we have a different cover (from 1997) that my daughter at age 4 saved and tore off of SI (way back when I thought it was worth subscribing to), and taped to a wall in our basement - still down there! When we finished off most of the basement it got moved to our storage room, where it is still taped up about 3-4 feet off the ground (same height it was in 1997). Good memories!

I guess my wife is the troll today. She emailed me a link to the article, so I wasted time reading it.

It really is a nothing piece, seriously. Just a summary of what's happened, like nobody hasn't had it hashed and rehashed dozens of times.

On a more interesting note, seeing the cover reminds me we have a different cover (from 1997) that my daughter at age 4 saved and tore off of SI (way back when I thought it was worth subscribing to), and taped to a wall in our basement - still down there! When we finished off most of the basement it got moved to our storage room, where it is still taped up about 3-4 feet off the ground (same height it was in 1997). Good memories!

The cover is intentionally inflammatory to sell magazines. The material within the article is the same regurgitated mess that has been widely reported since 2009. Nothing new and certainly nothing worthy of what the cover suggests. Just another magazine/newspaper resorting to click-bait tactics to get views.

The cover is intentionally inflammatory to sell magazines. The material within the article is the same regurgitated mess that has been widely reported since 2009. Nothing new and certainly nothing worthy of what the cover suggests. Just another magazine/newspaper resorting to click-bait tactics to get views.

It's the Taco Bell way of doing business. Take the same thing, repackage it, sell it as something else -> profit.

I guess golf is the only sport where age and injuries dont apply. Also this isnt a troll, we were asking ourselves why the US Open is an afterthought relative to the Master's and what the USGA needs to do and i said make it a four course rotation between Torrey, Bay Hill, Firestone and Cog Hill. Because Big Cat has won on each course a lot. Golf fans might not need Tiger but SI Readers and sports fans in general need El Tigre so really no wonder they went with this cover. Another story on Jason Day, Rickie, Rory or Spieth or god forbid another front about Bubba isnt going to sell.

Remember people this is a magazine a business that is dying off quite rapidly they need to troll they need to push the envelope to stay relevant.

Not much new information but it was very well-written and I think a legitimate topic. I love how everyone just says "he's done. get over it. move on." You know that may very well be. But this guy's own peers, millionaire, accomplished athletes, reflect on him like a 12 year old looking for Jordan or Rory's autograph. Some of the best to ever play are in awe of what he has done. Some are even content just to have been a part of it, win or lose (mostly lose). You really think people are just going to "move on" from this? come on. not saying its right. just saying it is what it is.

I am always puzzled by these comments. Tiger was here, kicked some butt and now he is irrelevant just like any athlete from any sport. Yet, most Tiger fans refuse to give in to the fact that he is, in fact, irrelevant. They hold on to the fact that if he was in a tournament that 'numbers' would be up, how he grew the sport etc.... yet, in the same breath, complain about pace of play, the price of equipment, cost of going to an event etc.

My love for the sport has grown over the years because I love it... not because of Jack or Tiger or Jordan et al. I watch from Thursday to Sunday because I like to watch golf not because of who's playing.

Tiger fans are all but HOPING golf reverts back to the backwaters of pro sports and to more of an elitist, closed off sport so they can remember the good ole days when Tiger stomped everyone up and down the fairways. They want to stand up and proclaim their 'I TOLD YOU SO'S'!!!

Like anyone famous or those who've dominated their profession we must celebrate what they've done, set the bar for the next superstar and continue to say to the young ones of 20+ years.... "If you only could have seen Tiger.... THAT was special." Then we can have an argument about who is better... Tiger or the kid that is not even born yet.

No Joey. Tiger fans aren't all hoping golf reverts back to anything. In a lot of ways it's never left. Ask any non-golfer, it's never changed, then folks in the game don't do anything to convince them that it's different. I've seen juniors treated with disdain on the course, ladies who are looked at crossly on the course when they're just trying to have fun. All for the want to go back to the "traditions of the game." Throw a little non-tradition in there and people puff up and say, "That's what's wrong with the game!" It's not how people remember it. Because it's different now. One day, Tiger will take his place with the Legends of the game, right along with Phil and a few others.

I've golfed since 2002 and I'm addicted as anyone. But I'm not blind to what I see. My son was moving slowly and got "spoken" to by another golfer. Sternly. I had to get in a guy's face. He mumbled something about "Tiger F-in Woods ruined the game." This is the elitist mentality. No one can golf except for the anointed ones. That turns people off and I had to convince my son to keep golfing no matter what the mean man said. So to me, I've seen it. You may not have, but it was in my face and I had to potentially go to blows to play freaking golf with my kid? Seriously?

It's a legitimate question, not trolling.

I agree, people have to remember SI caters to a lot of general sports fans, and not necessarily golf nuts and hardcore enthusiasts, who spend their days talking about Tiger on message boards.

I might read SI and check out an article on Rafael Nadal or something. I know very little about Nadal because i'm not a tennis fan, i don't know if he still wins tournaments anymore but i don't think he does nearly as much. Granted he was never a star like Tiger, but i would read a story about his career that some guy on TennisWRX might think is dumb and obvious and has been beaten to death...but it hasn't been for the general pop. That's who SI caters to. The hardcore guys have 100 different blogs on insta-takes to choose from

Honestly, Tiger's downfall has been one of the most fascinating stories in modern sports history. He went from being on the fast-track to greatest alltime, some might still argue he is. To basically not winning a major in 8 years when he once made it look so easy, to now missing cuts, finishing last in tournaments etc...

This happened to Tiger at like 36-37 right? Right in his prime. If Lebron James at 28 had gotten a divorce right after his first title, after a public cheating, then gotten injuries, and 5 years later was 9th man for the Utah Jazz, it would be a MAJOR story. One of the biggest sports stories of the modern day

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique