Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

This new release is made in China , original was made in Korea, wonder if there will be a difference? > @"North Butte" said:

> > @tangojay said:

> > This new release is made in China , original was made in Korea, wonder if there will be a difference?

>

> Well, they are completely different balls. The old one is no longer on the USGA list, the new one is on the list under its own name.

>

> So yes, they are different. Who knows, you might like the new one better!

Due to injury and fathers days gifts I have 16 dozen of the old 4 piece.

At a 14 handicap, I am not good enough or consistent enough to be able to tell the difference between them. I will buy some for GP's.

> @tangojay said:

> This new release is made in China , original was made in Korea, wonder if there will be a difference? > @"North Butte" said:

> > > @tangojay said:

> > > This new release is made in China , original was made in Korea, wonder if there will be a difference?

> >

> > Well, they are completely different balls. The old one is no longer on the USGA list, the new one is on the list under its own name.

> >

> > So yes, they are different. Who knows, you might like the new one better!

>

> Due to injury and fathers days gifts I have 16 dozen of the old 4 piece.

> At a 14 handicap, I am not good enough or consistent enough to be able to tell the difference between them. I will buy some for GP's.

I thought you were asking if there was going to be a difference, maybe I misunderstood the question.

> @tennistim777 said:

> Looks like at least the colors of the layers are different? Thoughts?

The original KSig Tour Performance was produced by Nassau in South Korea and was cast thermoset urethane. This new KSig Performance One is produced by a different factory in China (likely the same place as the 3-piece KSig Performance+ aka K3) and by the shiny appearance looks to be an injection-molded Thermoplastic urethane like the K3. Dimple pattern is also different (KSig TP = 360 vs other two = 338). So these are completely different balls produced by different factories.

• Like 1

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @tangojay said:

> > This new release is made in China , original was made in Korea, wonder if there will be a difference? > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > @tangojay said:

> > > > This new release is made in China , original was made in Korea, wonder if there will be a difference?

> > >

> > > Well, they are completely different balls. The old one is no longer on the USGA list, the new one is on the list under its own name.

> > >

> > > So yes, they are different. Who knows, you might like the new one better!

> >

> > Due to injury and fathers days gifts I have 16 dozen of the old 4 piece.

> > At a 14 handicap, I am not good enough or consistent enough to be able to tell the difference between them. I will buy some for GP's.

>

> I thought you were asking if there was going to be a difference, maybe I misunderstood the question.

No, you answered my question, thanks!,,,

I don't remember reading that the 3 piece isn't recommended here. I do remember reading things such as 3 piece being "mushy". Yeah right, a 106 compassion ball is mushy. What I have read is that players prefer the KS 4 piece to the 3 piece. Anybody who believes that a TPU ball can't be a good ball is living in the past. We'll soon know what the story on the new KS ball is like.

> @larciel said:

> consensus is that 3piece ball is not recommended here. what's the reason for you guys?

> I didn't like the 3piece mostly because of TPU cover. Didn't even like Snell Red much.

> Hope this KP1 changes my taste. Coming in Tuesday!

>

Is it TPU covers in general or specifically the K3's cover? Bridgestone, Callaway and Srixon all use TPU covers. Do you like theirs?

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @torbill said:

>

>

> I don't remember reading that the 3 piece isn't recommended here. I do remember reading things such as 3 piece being "mushy". Yeah right, a 106 compassion ball is mushy. What I have read is that players prefer the KS 4 piece to the 3 piece. Anybody who believes that a TPU ball can't be a good ball is living in the past. We'll soon know what the story on the new KS ball is like.

>

>

The 3-piece Kirkland tends to spin much more than the 4-piece and this results in it being shorter. However for some golfers needing extra spin with the long clubs this is a benefit. All that said today's technology makes most tour level balls similar in performance. Some balls are a couple yards longer or shorter, some balls spin a couple hundred rpm's more or less with the wedges.

TPU, 338 dimples, over 100 compression. I have seen that ball type before. It may be a China made ball using a big manufacturer license. Let the conspiracy theory begin

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

About 4-5 years ago when I first learned the difference between cast thermoset and TPU covers, I thought back through a lot of balls I'd liked or not liked over the years. With the exception of the original B330 mostly the balls I'd not cared for had TPU covers and the ones I liked were cast thermoset.

Then I tried the original 4pc K-sig (liked it a lot) and the later 3pc version (didn't like it) and noted that the covers the again cast vs. TPU.

The question was finally settled when I had used the original MTB and liked it then got ahold of the MTB Red which was one of the worst golf balls I'd ever used. Just no performance at all for me. Not long after that, Dean Snell basically said he'd made a bad choice in using TPU in order to simplify the yellow covered. He quickly replaced the MTB Red with the MTB-X which is cast thermoset like all his previous designs.

So I'm convinced. I much prefer balls witwh thin cast thermoset urethane cover over those with TPU covers (especially thicker TPU covers).

If the new 4pc K-sig ends up being TPU I won't have any interest in trying it. Not that I'm 100% sure it wouldn't work for me, but there are plenty of balls with the construction I like out there. No need to roll the dice with one that is likely to disappoint.

> @cristphoto said:

> > @dasams said:

> > Darn it! I've been monitoring this thread almost daily while waiting for the new KP1. Then I don't log on for two days and boom, the KP1 is released and sold out. Now I'm going to have to monitor this thread twice daily so that I get an order in when they return. And we all know that they will return.

>

> Are you a Costco member? I am and got an email from Costco saying the new balls were available. I ordered immediately.

>

The emails go to my wife's account so I checked and no sign of it. I wonder what I have to do to get notified? Their AI should know that I'm interested since I bought about 16 dozen over the earlier releases LOL

> @cristphoto said:

> The 3-piece Kirkland tends to spin much more than the 4-piece and this results in it being shorter. However for some golfers needing extra spin with the long clubs this is a benefit. All that said today's technology makes most tour level balls similar in performance. Some balls are a couple yards longer or shorter, some balls spin a couple hundred rpm's more or less with the wedges.

... True dat Chrisphoto. Mrs Chisag is a pretty good player and drives the ball around 200-210. Switching from B-RX to the Kirkland 3 piece she gained a good 10 yards and a few longer than that because she has more carry with the extra spin. For me, they lost about 5-10 yards which is why I gave them to her to try and was very pleasantly surprised they were better for her game.

... I have 4 dozen of the new 4 piece coming and feel like it is a win-win. If they work well for me I will be quite pleased, if not my wife and son have some new balls to play.

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

> @"Hack Daddy" said:

> For those of us that are high spin, the 3 piece is horrific. Lost a club of distance and was **backing them up 15-20 yards**.

Really?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

> @Catoctin said:

> I already had a cut KSig3 and OG KSig. Now the trio is complete (yes I sacrificed a brand new one). Front/back shots. Sorry the KS3 and OG are a bit old/dirty.

> Looking good that the cover isn't too thick.

> gefpyjq4nzva.jpg

> 2yg4z8yqc0e2.jpg

>

Thanks for the photos. Very encouraging as you say, about the cover thickness.

I feel like we ought to pass the hat and try to raise the $1.50 to pay you back for the loss of that one new ball ;-)

• Like 1

> @Catoctin said:

> I already had a cut KSig3 and OG KSig. Now the trio is complete (yes I sacrificed a brand new one). Front/back shots. Sorry the KS3 and OG are a bit old/dirty.

> gefpyjq4nzva.jpg

> 2yg4z8yqc0e2.jpg

>

Thanks for the pics! I finally got my shipment confirmation so I can't wait to get them out on the course. Hopefully some reviews start popping up on here and elsewhere.

> @Catoctin said:

> gefpyjq4nzva.jpg

> 2yg4z8yqc0e2.jpg

>

Thanks for doing that!!! I was wondering if the cover was going to be the same thickness as the 3 piece. Can't wait to try mine tomorrow.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

> @trackcoach13 said:

> > @larciel said:

> > consensus is that 3piece ball is not recommended here. what's the reason for you guys?

> > I didn't like the 3piece mostly because of TPU cover. Didn't even like Snell Red much.

> > Hope this KP1 changes my taste. Coming in Tuesday!

> >

> Is it TPU covers in general or specifically the K3's cover? Bridgestone, Callaway and Srixon all use TPU covers. Do you like theirs?

Never liked all of them very much. I've tried to like em all, especially Srixon since I love the brand but always came back to Cast.

Wilson Duo-U is one of my favorite.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Catoctin said:

> > I already had a cut KSig3 and OG KSig. Now the trio is complete (yes I sacrificed a brand new one). Front/back shots. Sorry the KS3 and OG are a bit old/dirty.

> > Looking good that the cover isn't too thick.

> > gefpyjq4nzva.jpg

> > 2yg4z8yqc0e2.jpg

> >

>

> Thanks for the photos. Very encouraging as you say, about the cover thickness.

>

> I feel like we ought to pass the hat and try to raise the $1.50 to pay you back for the loss of that one new ball ;-)

Agreed. The K3 almost looks like a cheap ionomer cover compared to the other two. The mantles also look thinner than the KSig TP which means slightly larger core which is good. We'll see how the hardness of the cover and overall compression compares. Still surprised that Costco didn't raise the price on these although maybe that is due to the K3 struggling to move even at $1 per ball.

Just got my order today. As previously stated no more "stink box". First thing I noticed is this ball is seamless unlike the prior version. And I mean truly seamless ala Srixon and not like ProV1's which have a very small but noticeable seam. So maybe these are tied in with either Srixon or Bridgestone which unless I'm wrong are the only true seamless balls available. Also the white is a tour-like white (like previous Kirkland 4 piece) and not surlyn looking white. Going out to play today and get in some comparison as our club closes on Monday so I can hit many shots mostly undisturbed.

• Like 1

> @jmgledhill said:

> just arrived. here is a pick showing the difference in finish as mentioned by the previous poster7ylo3cxxbb69.jpg

>

> Mondays are the worst - course is closed. I'll try to get some trackman numbers with them tomorrow...

>

The PERFORMANCE ONE seems from that picture to have noticeably low dimple pattern coverage percentage. Quite a lot of raised "lands" between the dimples on that model. I have no idea what that might mean in performance characteristic terms, just seems different than a lot of balls I've seen lately (including the PERFORMANCE+ and TOUR PERFORMANCE).