Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

4 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I see no appreciable distance loss.  My SS ranges from 90-100 mph depending on how my knees feel that day.  I get 225-250 carry yds depending on the strike whether I use a TP5, Ksig, Maxfli, PV1 or Top Flite

1 hour ago, gioreeko said:

My SS is around 110-113 while I'm playing, and once in awhile I'll hit the Ksig 3.2 with the driver to compare with whatever ball I'm playing that day, and off the driver it's only a couple of yards shorter than the Snell MTB-X that I usually play, and that's the longest ball I've ever played.   

Great to hear.  I've played the Ksig almost exclusively since it came out because at the rate I loose balls I can't afford to lose more expensive ones.  But even though my driver SS seems to be only right around 100MPH as well, that "too spinny" moniker has been in the back of my mind.  I'm starting to play better and that "should I try something else" thought has been creeping up again.  Hopefully this will keep the demons at bay for a while.

Here's a Ksig story from league last week (this may come across as a humble brag, but it's not my intent).  As I said, I'm starting to hit the ball better.  On one hole last week I was 200ish out and since I've not been playing my hybrid or 3W while I try to focus on irons and driver, I decided to hit 4I.  I usually hit that about 180 and figured that would leave an easy chip on.  Much to my surprise I reached the green.  Even MORE to my surprise, when I got to the green the ball was about 1 foot from it's mark.  I couldn't imagine a ball not rolling out some after traveling almost 200 yards in the air. It must've had some wicked spin going on it. Unfortunately the pin was back and it stopped about 6 inches from a significant dip in the green, so I would have preferred it rolled just a LITTLE farther.

• Like 4

Sto Pro Veritate

2 hours ago, gioreeko said:

My SS is around 110-113 while I'm playing, and once in awhile I'll hit the Ksig 3.2 with the driver to compare with whatever ball I'm playing that day, and off the driver it's only a couple of yards shorter than the Snell MTB-X that I usually play, and that's the longest ball I've ever played. 

And by "a couple of yards" I'm assuming you mean less than 10?  From what I remember, you're a LOOONG hitter soooo, that's good for me!🏌️‍♀️😉

@Girevik Know what you mean.  I was playing a course that had water in play on 15 of 18 holes.  I've lost a sleeve of TP5's already that day, although I was still looking at a decent score.  The 18th of this particular course is a fairly long par 5 (dogleg right as well) with a pond that runs along the right side from 100 yds out from the tee to about 80 yds short of the green.  Also a stream that comes into play on the 2nd shot on the left.  I took a Kirkland out of the bag.  Hit a beautiful drive about 240 yds. and split the fairway.  I sat there and wondered why the hell did I even play the TP5.  Took my 3 wood out and a nice layup but pushed it right into the water......🤦‍♂️

Capture-MB18.JPG.fa704e24cf3cf0fe506b282af3f909fa.JPG

Edited by wantacigar
added photo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, monks66 said:

I have a dozen of the 4PC that had the bad cover, loved that ball....darn cover

I'm still shocked they never corrected that issue and rolled out another batch of those.  From what people said at the time what was a simple glitch in the manufacturing process.  And I'm starting to lose hope on the new 4 piece that's been on the conforming list for ever.

Sto Pro Veritate

4 hours ago, monks66 said:

I have a dozen of the 4PC that had the bad cover, loved that ball....darn cover

I still have a few sleeves of those, my covers were good. Really good ball, maybe a little shorter than the OG 4 piece, but still really good.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

6 hours ago, Girevik said:

I'm still shocked they never corrected that issue and rolled out another batch of those.  From what people said at the time what was a simple glitch in the manufacturing process.  And I'm starting to lose hope on the new 4 piece that's been on the conforming list for ever.

I think they'll release the four-piece ball after China gets over their Covid/supply chain issues.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soregongolfer said:

I think they'll release the four-piece ball after China gets over their Covid/supply chain issues.  

This thread has been full of people believing a new KIRKLAND 4pc ball release is right around the corner since years before anyone ever heard of COVID. The only supply chain issue is that Costco can't find anyone who can deliver a quality 4pc urethane ball (that doesn't fall apart) at the price Costco wants to pay. Which is no surprise, even the 3pc ball is being sold so cheaply its incredible they can source them in quantity and with excellent quality. 

4 hours ago, North Butte said:

This thread has been full of people believing a new KIRKLAND 4pc ball release is right around the corner since years before anyone ever heard of COVID. The only supply chain issue is that Costco can't find anyone who can deliver a quality 4pc urethane ball (that doesn't fall apart) at the price Costco wants to pay. Which is no surprise, even the 3pc ball is being sold so cheaply its incredible they can source them in quantity and with excellent quality. 

Don't worry. Eventually someone will come out and make em even at Costcos price. 

5 hours ago, North Butte said:

This thread has been full of people believing a new KIRKLAND 4pc ball release is right around the corner since years before anyone ever heard of COVID. 

Well to be fair to WRX members Costco flatly promised as much in Aug 2020 during C19 about a new 4 piece ball being available in early 2021. This was well before TM recently bought Foremost and other issues associated with the virus impacted the supply chain. You can't put this on WRX members anticipating a new ball based on what Costco declared here on WRX and to the general public.

https://www.golfwrx.com/630686/golfwrx-exclusive-costco-kirkland-signature-wedge-set-coming-soon-plus-new-balls-for-2021/

"The last product confirmation from Tim is a completely new Kirkland Signature four-piece urethane performance ball with the current timeline having them arriving online starting in early 2021 and priced at $29.99. Unreal value in the golf ball market."

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 8:41 PM, North Butte said:

But don't you actually have to HAVE a ball to test in order to get it on the conforming list?  That implies that they have someone lined up and they've made at least one batch of them, doesn't it?  Or do I misunderstand the process?

Edited by Girevik
  • Like 1

Sto Pro Veritate

18 minutes ago, Girevik said:

But don't you actually have to HAVE a ball to test in order to get it on the conforming list?  That implies that they save someone lined up and they've made at least one batch of them, doesn't it?  Or do I misunderstand the process?

Yes, some prototypes have to be made and supplied for testing.

But being able to source a prototype seems pretty easy compared to being able to source a million or so balls per year at a price that lets them sell for 1/3 the price of similar name-brand balls. 

Costco isn't Callaway or Taylormade with a scheduled, in-house development and release cycle that's planned out years in advance. And with the profit margins that make that possible. Costco is capitalizing (on behalf of its members) on extraordinary low-cost opportunities whenever they arise. That's not the kind of thing that always works out.

Haven't they had several balls show up on the conforming list without ever reaching retail availability? Seems I remember that happening at least a couple times before. Supplying prototypes to USGA for testing happens pretty early in the process. 

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

But being able to source a prototype seems pretty easy compared to being able to source a million or so balls per year at a price that lets them sell for 1/3 the price of similar name-brand balls. 

Costco isn't Callaway or Taylormade with a scheduled, in-house development and release cycle that's planned out years in advance. And with the profit margins that make that possible. Costco is capitalizing (on behalf of its members) on extraordinary low-cost opportunities whenever they arise. That's not the kind of thing that always works out.

Haven't they had several balls show up on the conforming list without ever reaching retail availability? Seems I remember that happening at least a couple times before. Supplying prototypes to USGA for testing happens pretty early in the process. 

Understood, but why go to the expense and effort to have a company produce a prototype if they're also not prepared to start rolling them out.

To the best of my recollection, this latest ball is the only one who never made an appearance, but it's been on the list forEVER without showing up. 

Sto Pro Veritate

Accurate.  They definitely have to supply balls for testing.  I'm not sure when it started (maybe within the last 12 months or so), but at some point in time the conforming list on the USGA site added a "view image" link for each ball that shows actual balls and all identifying marks.  I'm also fairly certain that balls showing up on the list but never coming to market isn't all that unusual.  Of course, there is always the chance some balls aren't seen for sale because they are being sold in different markets or are "tour only" but I doubt that's the case for Kirkland balls.  Slightly off topic but as far as "different markets" go, I do wonder where all of the Kirkland practice balls that show up on ebay come from.  They only sell them business to business?  They sell them in different countries and they make it to the US through back channels?

1 minute ago, cardigan said:

Accurate.  They definitely have to supply balls for testing.  I'm not sure when it started (maybe within the last 12 months or so), but at some point in time the conforming list on the USGA site added a "view image" link for each ball that shows actual balls and all identifying marks.  I'm also fairly certain that balls showing up on the list but never coming to market isn't all that unusual.  Of course, there is always the chance some balls aren't seen for sale because they are being sold in different markets or are "tour only" but I doubt that's the case for Kirkland balls.  Slightly off topic but as far as "different markets" go, I do wonder where all of the Kirkland practice balls that show up on ebay come from.  They only sell them business to business?  They sell them in different countries and they make it to the US through back channels?

They may have fallen off a truck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cardigan said:

I read some golf courses were buying them to use as range balls and stamping them "practice" when they were told their normal range ball orders were being delayed months to years.

Just now, snagy2000 said:

I read some golf courses were buying them to use as range balls and stamping them "practice" when they were told their normal range ball orders were being delayed months to years.

A few sites out there keep old versions of the conforming list.  The below is from March 2018.  3 different 3-piece balls but we've only seen one of those side stamps for sale (the original 3 piece and the v2.0 have the same side stamp). 

image.png.aea265bccfe98841fa4cd122ac0a386f.png

8 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

The packaging with the Kirkland Signature logo and a upc code would suggest that it's something more than individual golf courses doing it.  Whether or not it's officially from Costco is another story though.  I have no way of knowing.

image.png.7c93c8b9d1ba574509e4ec5325e76104.png

Edited by cardigan

51 minutes ago, cardigan said:

The packaging with the Kirkland Signature logo and a upc code would suggest that it's something more than individual golf courses doing it.  Whether or not it's officially from Costco is another story though.  I have no way of knowing.

Any chance those are used?

Any chance those are used?

It's possible but I don't think there's any way of telling unless someone buys some and it's obvious by looking at them.  I'd imagine that if they are used then the packaging is not legitimate.  I'm not aware of anyone that sells used balls that has official OEM packaging for balls they sell.  Perhaps there are channels for folks to get Kirkland practice balls as range balls for tournaments they are participating in and those channels have somehow been exploited?

14 minutes ago, cardigan said:

It's possible but I don't think there's any way of telling unless someone buys some and it's obvious by looking at them.  I'd imagine that if they are used then the packaging is not legitimate.  I'm not aware of anyone that sells used balls that has official OEM packaging for balls they sell.  Perhaps there are channels for folks to get Kirkland practice balls as range balls for tournaments they are participating in and those channels have somehow been exploited?

I guess in theory Costco can get mesh bags of 48 balls with no boxes and sleeves even cheaper than they can get them conventionally packaged, 

Just now, North Butte said:

I guess in theory Costco can get mesh bags of 48 balls with no boxes and sleeves even cheaper than they can get them conventionally packaged, 

Makes sense.  Odd that I've never seen them in stores or on the Costco website (unless they are sold at Costco's in other countries) and I've only seen them on ebay but I doubt anyone would go through the expense of the packaging, limited as it may be, and printing practice on the balls to sell the balls for less than you can buy used balls for.  Not much risk anyways at basically $7 a dozen.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:42 PM, grm24 said:

Well to be fair to WRX members Costco flatly promised as much in Aug 2020 during C19 about a new 4 piece ball being available in early 2021. This was well before TM recently bought Foremost and other issues associated with the virus impacted the supply chain. You can't put this on WRX members anticipating a new ball based on what Costco declared here on WRX and to the general public.

https://www.golfwrx.com/630686/golfwrx-exclusive-costco-kirkland-signature-wedge-set-coming-soon-plus-new-balls-for-2021/

"The last product confirmation from Tim is a completely new Kirkland Signature four-piece urethane performance ball with the current timeline having them arriving online starting in early 2021 and priced at $29.99. Unreal value in the golf ball market."

Supply chain threw a wrench in this I'm guessing. Patience is the key.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 8:49 AM, cardigan said:

The balls are stamped PRACTICE as you can see one in the lower right corner.  They are offered on eBay for as low as $29.99, ie, $0.62 each.  They are described as 'New'.

If they are really new, current model KIRKLAND balls then at that price I think we finally have a contender for the title of All Time Leader in bargain, high performance golf balls. Back in the day, I was one of those who took advantage that ridiculous Taylormade LETHAL practice ball deal somebody was offering. Can't remember the exact price but it was triple dozens for maybe $10 or $20. 

It's taken a decade or more for that deal to finally be challenged. Now I just need to go back and figure out how much exactly we paid for the LETHAL deal, adjust for inflation and see if KIRKLAND PRACTICE has undercut the LETHAL PRACTICE price per ball.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, North Butte said:

If they are really new, current model KIRKLAND balls then at that price I think we finally have a contender for the title of All Time Leader in bargain, high performance golf balls. Back in the day, I was one of those who took advantage that ridiculous Taylormade LETHAL practice ball deal somebody was offering. Can't remember the exact price but it was triple dozens for maybe $10 or $20. 

It's taken a decade or more for that deal to finally be challenged. Now I just need to go back and figure out how much exactly we paid for the LETHAL deal, adjust for inflation and see if KIRKLAND PRACTICE has undercut the LETHAL PRACTICE price per ball.

Probably not a big deal at the price point but with no box there's no way of knowing if they are the first iteration, the v2.0, or a combination.

• Like 1