2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Saw some new Callaway Woods last night (The Epic Thread)

jimpsycho

What a diatribe.

It just reinforces why I have never bagged a Callaway product and NEVER will.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

27dd39065116dd636291836c3b557377bd42c8e34d83bce986e9ff4fe0e604f0.jpg

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well trips off!!! Lmao

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Harry Arnett FTW!!! I love listening to the Ship Show for some of those same reasons! EPIC!!

Gonna be another type of "Ship Show" where that guy works.

In my OGIO RTC Bag
Mavrik (for now)
EPIC FLASH SZ 3 wood
EPIC FLASH % wood
APEX 19 5-AW

MD4 52 custom by AT
MD5 56, 60
Toulon Garage Memphis or Palm Beach
2020 Chrome Soft TT

It has certainly been quite interesting reading through this thread as it always is when people are responding to a hastily taken picture from a camera phone.

People can form a poor first impression based purely on a lousy representation of the actual product. This is exactly why OEMs, Callaway included, hate it when folks sneak pictures they are explicitly told not to take.

Here, let me show you what I mean:

Here’s a bad picture of my Greg Maddux signed baseball. See how lousy it looks in a hastily taken iPhone picture? This ball is awesome. Here it looks terrible.

Here’s another example:

This is my San Diego Padre Truvis balls for the Links at Petco this week. They look awesome in real life, though quite unspectacular in this picture.

We are a nation of laws, for Pete’s sake, and in the grand scheme, why someone would literally risk their jobs, livelihoods, and reputations over something so trivial doesn’t make any sense to me.

It is also unfortunate that we have had to cancel our December GolfWrx Callaway trip because of this.

MCoz said some terrible things. MCoz was once a great poster. But he hasn’t been in years. Horrible! Sad! (I was just kidding about that. I just wanted to write something that sounded like Donald Trump. MCoz is on the money most of the time). He thought we had leaked this picture on purpose. In this case, he’s dead wrong. Believe me (oops, more Trump), we think using an iPhone leak photo as part of a campaign is totally hackneyed and undermines things we spend a ton of time on. Specifically, we take a lot of pride in our photography, tech information, testing of products, and delivering a look to a product that has been carefully vetted through a painstaking process that includes amateur golfers, retailers, Tour professionals, club professionals, and key experts.

We take this process and our innovations very, very seriously. As such the path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. (Did you think I was going use Jules’s entire quote from Pulp Fiction? Well, if you insist, but I’ll make it PG-13…) Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

I been sayin' that stuff for years. And if you ever heard it, it meant your rear end. I never really questioned what it meant. I thought it was just a cold-blooded thing to say to a dude before you popped a cap in his behind. But I saw some stuff this mornin' made me think twice. Now I'm thinkin' it could mean you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr. .45 here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous behind in the valley of darkness. Or it could be you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that stuff ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin, Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd…

This particular phone-leak incident came from an unfortunate place and it is being dealt with accordingly. We have a lot more information about this and other products coming, which we are incredibly excited to share with you all (and you guys know you’re usually among the very first to hear about product from us). TaylorMadeLuv, even YOU will be excited for this one, and maybe you’ll even have to change your user name to something like “StillTaylorMadeLuvButTheresNoDenyingTheseCallawayGuysHaveDoneSomethingTrulyIncredible.”

Scratchswinger, though your conspiracy theories should be on a new golf segment Alex Jones launches on InfoWars (we will sponsor you with a Tour Authentic tinfoil hat), we did not acquire Toulon Design for it’s ground breaking 20 year old Zevo patents…

We don’t think any of these things are life and death (though giving y'all a driver like this one will easily be the most important thing we at Callaway ever do, including getting married, having our families, blah blah blah.)

A wise man named Rob Miller once told me, “Son, sure as an ice cream cake is great for birthdays, golf is golf.”

And I’m not really even sure what that means, except somewhere Ely Callaway is looking down on us and wondering, “What the hell is wrong with you all?”

Looking forward to telling you all more about this product as part of our actual, planned product release.

Harry Arnett

Callaway Golf

Ps: I was just kidding about canceling the GolfWrx event. We are jacked up to host you guys. See you all in a month!

Thanks Mr Trump.....errrr Harry! Well said Harry and thank you for always being forthcoming and informative to our community!

Callaway Epic 9.0 w/Mitsu Grand Bassara
Titleist 915F 3W
TMaG 4 Rescue 2011
PXG 0311XF 5-7 Steelfiber
PXG 0311 8-GW Steelfiber
Scotty Newport Notchback 34"
Titleist BV 54 & 58 Wedges

Harry, did you hijack someone else's GolfWRX account? I thought your screen name was Callaway_HarryA :blink:

So someone leaked a photo and then GolfWRX plasters it all over the front page of the website........

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I heard they are using the old Zevo (Sean Toulon company) face technology.... Or at least portions of it.

http://ktowngolf.ownspot.com/library/ecomm/product_view.asp?prod_id=9239&cat_name=DRIVER&cat_list=4806%2C%7CDRIVER

makes you wonder why they bought Toulon now. Kind of like when Callaway bought Ghinty in the 90's over possible infringements with the Heavenwood, or TM and Adams regarding fairway wood slots. Hopefully Sean still can still make putters moving forward.

That's what I said right when I saw the tech. Interesting that they buy Toulons company, put him on payroll, then use his old Zevo tech from 20 years ago. Could be coincidence but what they are doing sure looks like Zevo to me.

It is also unfortunate that we have had to cancel our December GolfWrx Callaway trip because of this.

Harry Arnett

Callaway Golf

Ps: I was just kidding about canceling the GolfWrx event. We are jacked up to host you guys. See you all in a month!

After reading through the post all I was thinking was CRAP no cool Callaway trip to hope for....got all sad and everything only to be lifted up with Hope again in the end! ;)

Now if we can just have some hope for our election.

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (10.5d) - Ventus Blue Velocore 6s (44.75")

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto 125 F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto 125 F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

Harry you got me!!! Good on you

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Here is what I know. When Callaway first introduced the Gravity core they noticed that connecting the crown to the sole plate helped increase ball speeds, after years of testing to find out why, the new Epic was born. It has internal titanium rods that connect the crown to the sole plate. Supposedly this increases the ball speed since energy is not lost when the clubhead tends to distort as with other drivers. Interesting concept. $500 retail....Ouch!!!!

The original Ping TiSi driver used a similar theory and made the crown and sole parallel to one another in order to keep the deflection down and increase the ball speed. If I remember correctly the original company that connected the crown and sole with a rod was Zevo and the Compressor driver. It was very complex to make and when Golfsmith purchased Zevo they made a Snake Eyes Compressor driver that was larger in size.

So not new technology as being stated above...funny how callaway is releasing more product to the market than anyone else and nothing new from technology standpoint. Using the old names from the 90's and everyone is clamoring about them. I'll wait til actual product is out and can be tested before making crazy claims...

Ping had the idea of parallel sole and crown, Callaways Ti rods connecting the sole and crown is vastly different.

It seems a bit extreme for someone to get fired over this tbh

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#ffa500]Brassie[/color]
[color=#ffa500]Spoon[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#ff0000]Driving Iron[/color]
[color=#008080]Cleek[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#008080]Mid Mashie[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#008080]Mashie
Spade Mashie[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#008080]Mashie niblick[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#008080]Pitching niblick[/color]
[color=#ee82ee]Putter[/color][/font][/size]

What a diatribe.

It just reinforces why I have never bagged a Callaway product and NEVER will.

I think they will be okay...

Tons of respect for him coming on here to address WRX as whole or at least in this thread.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Here is what I know. When Callaway first introduced the Gravity core they noticed that connecting the crown to the sole plate helped increase ball speeds, after years of testing to find out why, the new Epic was born. It has internal titanium rods that connect the crown to the sole plate. Supposedly this increases the ball speed since energy is not lost when the clubhead tends to distort as with other drivers. Interesting concept. $500 retail....Ouch!!!!

The original Ping TiSi driver used a similar theory and made the crown and sole parallel to one another in order to keep the deflection down and increase the ball speed. If I remember correctly the original company that connected the crown and sole with a rod was Zevo and the Compressor driver. It was very complex to make and when Golfsmith purchased Zevo they made a Snake Eyes Compressor driver that was larger in size.

So not new technology as being stated above...funny how callaway is releasing more product to the market than anyone else and nothing new from technology standpoint. Using the old names from the 90's and everyone is clamoring about them. I'll wait til actual product is out and can be tested before making crazy claims...

Ping had the idea of parallel sole and crown, Callaways Ti rods connecting the sole and crown is vastly different.

In testing all of the 2016 drivers the Callaway XR16 had the best ballspeed numbers for a lot of guys.

That said, it still wasn't the best driver overall especially when you factored in left and right dispersion. If they can get even MORE ballspeed with the EPIC then it might be able to beat out the M1 for me. Forgiveness on off center hits and feel was the biggest difference between Callaway's offerings and the M1 and Cobra LTD Pro. It doesn't matter how much ballspeed you can pump out if off center hits are junkers...

Callaway woods haven't made it into my bag since the RAZR Fit Xtreme, maybe this will be the year

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Fairway woods glued? I don't recall see anything about hybrids?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I want to hear more about these fairway woods. I remember when those 816s first came out, I wanted something with those types of weights and adjustability, but the low spin head design of the Deep series. If the head was designed like that, you could move the heavy weight to the back for a more 'normal' fairway wood, or have it forward (and crank the loft a bit) to have something MEAN.

If release is in Feb 2017, that should be JUST in time for Gear Trials 2017 although I'm sure we'll hear a ton about this series around the second week of December.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

Fairway woods glued? I don't recall see anything about hybrids?

Both are OptiFit equipped.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Your post is so long! It's literally 500 words more than Taylormade, Titleist and Ping corporate have posted combined in 5 years on WRX. The cool thing is you got a Twitter "Follower" to give you a +1! I actually like the driver and have said one negative thing about it or Callaway, I hope it performs well and sells good for you guys. Regarding the tinfoil and attempted dig.... what's the saying, "when they go low, you go high"? I am going to take that route on this one. I will however be interested to revisit your post in a few months and discuss the Jailbreak technology.

You going "high" by theorizing Callaway "acquired Toulon Design for it’s ground breaking 20 year old Zevo patent" is one of many comments that prompted Harry to post.

Give it up buddy. You might be able to bully regular WRX members, but I have a funny feeling that won't fly with Harry and Callaway.

Glad to see the Veep come on here and clear things up. However, when a company buys another company and brings tech that the newly acquired business pioneered, people will begin to talk, coincidence or not. This new series is extremely important to Callaway to keep the momentum going forward and I don't blame them for wanting to present the driver their way. But it cant be denied that the leaked pic has created a tonne of free advertising, and the hype surrounding the drivers might be at an all time high for any recent Callaway release. I can't put an exact figure on the amount the hype is worth, but I would venture to say it's no chump change.

The argument can also be said that of course Callaway would deny the leak to keep status quo. Callaway would never admit to it, even if it was true. With the Taylormade M1 being leaked the day before, this might be the best possible outcome of a bad situtation for Callaway Golf. TM's big buzz has essentially been contained all the while bringing more attention away from the competitor.

As for the distaste in the Camera pic, that's almost a moot point. Greg has taken VERY good pics of other releases (see 917 series) and the comments of those haven't exactly been pretty either. It is completely normal for people to criticize a new release. Have yet to see any new release escape mass scrutiny on this site and I don't foresee that trend changing over time either.

In a few short weeks all the official pics and details will emerge of the Epic line of clubs. Will I be upset that they look slightly different then the leaked pic? Of course not. But having those few screenshots will help make the upcoming winter season that much more bearable and make us wonder what else they have up their sleeve....

God Bless

Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

@callaway golf official

yes - the baseball is hard to see clearly. it is off white. red stitching. an autograph that is either blue or black ink....now let's look at the flip side of photography and pictures. when the average consumer drives by a McDonald's billboard and sees an Big Mac. wow does it look great. the meat, tomatoes, lettuce juicy as can be....and the cheese literally melting onto the bun - spilling over. it's a $3 hamburger on 13 pieces of bread with a cardboard patty that may or may not be beef.

the dude that lost his job did you a favor with his photography skills. it was real. it is the picture that you took of your coffee or of an idiot who parked his car in the grocery cart return bin that you bombed your squad with.

just think it wasn't as blurry as the picture he sent his girlfriend from the back room at unsaid golf retail store earlier in the day - that was taken at a certain angle for certain reasons that just so happened to be blurry kind of on purpose - and it sure as hell beats the picture on the USGA / R & A conforming list.

losing valuable secrets and confidential information sucks. it's dog eat dog. your organization was in financial chaos at one point of time - you understand - everything counts. truly sorry that it went down the way it did...but its not your first rodeo. this has happened before and will happen again until secrets are really guarded. if apple can keep it as tight as they do - I'm sure you'll find appropriate measures moving forward.

respectfully,

ryan

@callaway golf official

yes - the baseball is hard to see clearly. it is off white. red stitching. an autograph that is either blue or black ink....now let's look at the flip side of photography and pictures. when the average consumer drives by a McDonald's billboard and sees an Big Mac. wow does it look great. the meat, tomatoes, lettuce juicy as can be....and the cheese literally melting onto the bun - spilling over. it's a $3 hamburger on 13 pieces of bread with a cardboard patty that may or may not be beef.

the dude that lost his job did you a favor with his photography skills. it was real. it is the picture that you took of your coffee or of an idiot who parked his car in the grocery cart return bin that you bombed your squad with.

just think it wasn't as blurry as the picture he sent his girlfriend from the back room at unsaid golf retail store earlier in the day - that was taken at a certain angle for certain reasons that just so happened to be blurry kind of on purpose - and it sure as hell beats the picture on the USGA / R & A conforming list.

losing valuable secrets and confidential information sucks. it's dog eat dog. your organization was in financial chaos at one point of time - you understand - everything counts. truly sorry that it went down the way it did...but its not your first rodeo. this has happened before and will happen again until secrets are really guarded. if apple can keep it as tight as they do - I'm sure you'll find appropriate measures moving forward.

respectfully,

ryan

Why did you have to go and mention a big mac...... I'M hungry now.....

Dang that looks ripe, def gonna have to give that a test run. Is the SZ version gonna be online order only like on the XR or will it be available in the stores?

Taylormade R11 10.5 Mitsubishi Fubuki Alpha 70x
Taylormade M2 tour 3 wood Mitsubishi Tensei CK blue 70x
Taylormade Rocketballz stage 2 tour TP 5 wood Matrix Rul 80x
Mizuno Mp-H5 2 iron DG x100
Mizuno Mp-25(4-5) Mizuno Mp-5(6-pw) DG x100
Mizuno Mp-t11 56*, Taylormade tour preferred ATV 60*
Odyssey white ice #7
Taylormade TP5X

Great post Harry. After reading the first couple sentences from the official Cally handle, knew it was you right away. Thanks for jumping back into the madhouse, clearing up some things, making it entertaining while doing so, and giving us golf nerds something to still look forward to with the Epic trip! Sounds like next year is going to be a banner one for Callaway.

Cobra LTDX 9* Ventus Blue 6X
Cobra LTDX LS 16.5* Ventus Black 8X
Cobra Tour 4-PW PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX6 50*/54*/58* PX 6.5
Ping PLD Anser D

Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

I thought my driver was set with the M2 but with all the noise I will definitely have to take a look at the Epic and SZ Epic. I have the original SZ and if I love it but just not as consistent with it as I am with the M2. I hope the new Epic SZ will be 460cc.

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

I thought my driver was set with the M2 but with all the noise I will definitely have to take a look at the Epic and SZ Epic. I have the original SZ and if I love it but just not as consistent with it as I am with the M2. I hope the new Epic SZ will be 460cc.

Earlier in the thread, someone stated that the SZ would be 460.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5