2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Saw some new Callaway Woods last night (The Epic Thread)

jimpsycho

To the lucky dogs that have already had a chance to see/test: any info on the stock shafts?

I think a HZRDOUS and Rogue Silver were mentioned somewhere...

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a XR16 Pro driver fitting this past weekend and the Callaway rep asked if I was in a rush to get a driver? Told him no, so he went back to his truck and brought out the two Epic drivers (Epic GBB and the Epic SZ). He described the new "game changing" technology of the two reinforcing pins behind the clubface. The pins are supposed to prevent face deflection and therefore increase ball speed by 2 mph. "Independent" test have confirmed this increase against the M1/M2 and the 917 drivers.

As for the testing. I didn't have a launch monitor for the outdoor fitting but ball dd seem to jumped off the face a little quicker with the Epic line compared to the XR16 Pro. However, the balls held their line significantly better with the XR16 Pro compared to the Epic heads. Could be a shaft issue but I tried a handful of shafts in all three heads. In the looks department, I think I still like the XR16 Pro better than the Epic driver heads. To end, I'll be getting the XR16 Pro driver (will be significantly cheaper than the Epics as well) but can see guys looking for distance lean towards the Epic heads.

FYI, the Callaway rep did mention how they will not be discontinuing the XR16 line of heads until summer of 2017.

I am sorry but 2 MPH is not enough distance (for me) to turn it into an advantage on the course and a better score on the scorecard. I understand wanting more distance off the tee but I would take a more accurate driver 100% of the time over gaining 5 yards on the course. Doesn't mean it isn't fun to talk about or that it won't be a great driver. I hate to be rational on a board filled with golf nuts like me but I had to try :wave:

Callaway is playing us. Not dissimilar to when a certain presidential candidate says that he/she will run on a certain party ticket because that particular electorate will believe anything you tell them. Golfers want more yards and when presented with 'game changing' technology, BOOM- placebo effect extra 5-10 yards on the monitor. Season-long averages are what should matter, but I understand the fitter doesn't have access to that data at the fitting.

It has driver technology that uses bars to stabilize the top crown and sole of the driver to deliver more energy back to the face, and create an insane amount of ball speed. Tony Finau apparently gained 20 yards of carry distance testing it last week.

And yet how much do you want to bet that Finau's driving distance doesn't change more than 3-5 yards for the upcoming season. Dustin Johnson's driving dropped 3 yards in 2016 from 2015. It went up from 2014 to 2015. By everyone's account on this site and everywhere else the M1/M2 lineup is infinitely superior to the R15/Aeroburner lineup. Why the drop off? Especially considering the level that DJ raised his game to in 2016? All these guys have been optimized for quite some time. The mild fluctuation from year to year has NOTHING to do with the driver head they are using and EVERYTHING to do with what they ate for breakfast, how their body is doing (see Jason Day's numbers), shaft characteristics, and most importantly strike.

We have every right to get excited about the new Epic lineup from Callaway. I am. It's a new club, with new looks, feel, and design. These genuinely are things to get pumped for. But we need to pump the breaks on what the actual benefits of these new clubs really do for us. Someone else put it very well in this thread when they said that basically the only way to find more distance is to optimize your launch conditions. Tour pros have done so for quite a while which is why they don't gain distance by switching from one model to another.

I played the JPX 850 for the past 18 months but couldn't stand the sound/feel and wasn't fond of the blue. But accuracy and distance were too good. The JPX 900 is infinitely better sounding and feeling and the blue isn't as annoying as it is a matte finish and I now LOVE it. Distance is about the same as the 850. Shocking.

I think the biggest reason DJ dropped a few yards is because he started playing a cut instead of a draw. I agree with you though - I think at their level, they can hit any driver head from the past 5 years within 3-5 yards of each other and it definitely comes down to how they're feeling on any given day.

It has driver technology that uses bars to stabilize the top crown and sole of the driver to deliver more energy back to the face, and create an insane amount of ball speed. Tony Finau apparently gained 20 yards of carry distance testing it last week.

And yet how much do you want to bet that Finau's driving distance doesn't change more than 3-5 yards for the upcoming season. Dustin Johnson's driving dropped 3 yards in 2016 from 2015. It went up from 2014 to 2015. By everyone's account on this site and everywhere else the M1/M2 lineup is infinitely superior to the R15/Aeroburner lineup. Why the drop off? Especially considering the level that DJ raised his game to in 2016? All these guys have been optimized for quite some time. The mild fluctuation from year to year has NOTHING to do with the driver head they are using and EVERYTHING to do with what they ate for breakfast, how their body is doing (see Jason Day's numbers), shaft characteristics, and most importantly strike.

We have every right to get excited about the new Epic lineup from Callaway. I am. It's a new club, with new looks, feel, and design. These genuinely are things to get pumped for. But we need to pump the breaks on what the actual benefits of these new clubs really do for us. Someone else put it very well in this thread when they said that basically the only way to find more distance is to optimize your launch conditions. Tour pros have done so for quite a while which is why they don't gain distance by switching from one model to another.

I played the JPX 850 for the past 18 months but couldn't stand the sound/feel and wasn't fond of the blue. But accuracy and distance were too good. The JPX 900 is infinitely better sounding and feeling and the blue isn't as annoying as it is a matte finish and I now LOVE it. Distance is about the same as the 850. Shocking.

I think the biggest reason DJ dropped a few yards is because he started playing a cut instead of a draw. I agree with you though - I think at their level, they can hit any driver head from the past 5 years within 3-5 yards of each other and it definitely comes down to how they're feeling on any given day.

Good call. That should be added to what influences driver distances. I remember after Kaymer won the PGA and subsequently struggled at Augusta he changed his swing to hit a draw so he could be more competitive at Augusta. The results were bad, but I'm sure things like that affect driver distance more than moving from R9 to R11 or 915 to 917.

Took the Great Big Bertha Epic out on the course late yesterday afternoon for 4 holes with my old reliable Diamana Ahina 70x plugged into it , hitting multiple balls from each tee box. Same loft and settings as my current driver (XR16 Pro) and sliding weight neutral. Feels and sounds almost exactly like the BB Fusion, which is an excellent thing. Those who were put off by the triangular shape of BB Fusion will like the Epic's more rounded profile but similar face height at address. While I did notice a distance gain over the XR16 Pro (not going to say how much of a + I saw for obvious reasons), what impressed me even more was how consistent the distances were. In other words, the distance dispersion from longest balls to shortest balls was VERY tight. Left to right dispersion was also very nice, but not a noticeable improvement. Relatively small sample size (20 or so total tee shots), but still found the results to be impressive.

One perhaps negative thing I did notice is that the tribal tattoo looking aero ridges near the top line are more visually prominent now that the crown has a glossy finish. That might be off-putting for some; I noticed it but wasn't bothersome.

Not everybody is going to have the same reaction to this club or the Epic SZ (which I have not seen or hit yet), but I can say with certainty that the Epic line is deserving of consideration and a test drive.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Is the Epic line matte crown or gloss ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

He mentioned glossy head right above you.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I heard they are using the old Zevo (Sean Toulon company) face technology.... Or at least portions of it.

http://ktowngolf.ownspot.com/library/ecomm/product_view.asp?prod_id=9239&cat_name=DRIVER&cat_list=4806%2C%7CDRIVER

makes you wonder why they bought Toulon now. Kind of like when Callaway bought Ghinty in the 90's over possible infringements with the Heavenwood, or TM and Adams regarding fairway wood slots. Hopefully Sean still can still make putters moving forward.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

They just bought them. Who knows maybe he had a hand in development of this line.

I'm really looking forward to future putters, etc with Toulon and others on board now.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

They just bought them. Who knows maybe he had a hand in development of this line.

I'm really looking forward to future putters, etc with Toulon and others on board now.

Im hoping that you are right. Based on the timing it seems like the Epic had to have been in development for a while. Toulon is relatively new. Which is why I'm hoping they didn't find a better way to make a driver then realize they have a problem with patents etc... and the easy solution is to buy the company and all it's proprietary data and equipment.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

To the lucky dogs that have already had a chance to see/test: any info on the stock shafts?

It's actually the Rogue Max for the new Epic line, and a made-for non-counterbalanced HZRDOUS shaft. Early looks at the new Odyssey/Toulon prototypes sound killer as well. As a current Memphis player I've been told even better things are to come in the updated Toulon line. The acquisition made sense from a business competitive perspective. Buy it earlier at a cheaper price to infuse some capital and eventually compete in the higher-end putter market against Cameron/Titleist. Odyssey on its own lagged in that segment...where the real money is made.

It's actually the Rogue Max for the new Epic line, and a made-for non-counterbalanced HZRDOUS shaft. Early looks at the new Odyssey/Toulon prototypes sound killer as well. As a current Memphis player I've been told even better things are to come in the updated Toulon line. The acquisition made sense from a business competitive perspective. Buy it earlier at a cheaper price to infuse some capital and eventually compete in the higher-end putter market against Cameron/Titleist. Odyssey on its own lagged in that segment...where the real money is made.

Thx. I wanted someone with knowledge to jump in...

Memphis is a sweet stick ... stroked a few in a PGATSS

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

They looked great as I saw the two different versions. Simple notes....hot melt ports on the standard line and no hot melt ports on the SZ line. Also, both driver heads at address seem to have way more loft than the stated loft in the head. I saw a 9 degree SZ and a 10.5 Epic.

I also saw a new putter with metal bumps in the insert and the Hyper Lite 2.5 bag....loved both and look forward to the new putter in the #7 version.

They looked great as I saw the two different versions. Simple notes....hot melt ports on the standard line and no hot melt ports on the SZ line. Also, both driver heads at address seem to have way more loft than the stated loft in the head. I saw a 9 degree SZ and a 10.5 Epic.

I also saw a new putter with metal bumps in the insert and the Hyper Lite 2.5 bag....loved both and look forward to the new putter in the #7 version.

Did you snap some pics?

Seriously.. someone has to have pics! The new TM M1 was already leaked (if that's really it), C'MON!! :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Callaway reps lose their jobs when they allow pics to be taken!! Happened with 816 Alpha DBD

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

I am a big Callaway fan and have a bunch of their drivers and 3 woods. That being said, it seems that this desire/belief that we are going to gain significant yardage over a previously fit driver really isn't likely. I have been hearing all of us make these claims over the past 5 years, every time we get a new driver, but the truth is, I am not hitting the ball any farther today, than I was 5 years ago. Because I play the same course 90% of the time, I can recognize the fact that my drives are pretty much in the same area on the course on each hole excluding conditions like temperature, wind, wet fairways, etc. Yes, I am going to try this driver, because I am a wrx'er and it is in our blood, but I am going to try it with a low expectation that it is going to perform significantly better than my 816 DBD, Cobra LTD, or M2 driver when it comes to distance.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR2 with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I am a big Callaway fan and have a bunch of their drivers and 3 woods. That being said, it seems that this desire/belief that we are going to gain significant yardage over a previously fit driver really isn't likely. I have been hearing all of us make these claims over the past 5 years, every time we get a new driver, but the truth is, I am not hitting the ball any farther today, than I was 5 years ago. Because I play the same course 90% of the time, I can recognize the fact that my drives are pretty much in the same area on the course on each hole excluding conditions like temperature, wind, wet fairways, etc. Yes, I am going to try this driver, because I am a wrx'er and it is in our blood, but I am going to try it with a low expectation that it is going to perform significantly better than my 816 DBD, Cobra LTD, or M2 driver when it comes to distance.

What are golf companies supposed to say? Our driver isn't any longer/straighter/better than last year but you should buy it anyways?

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

What are golf companies supposed to say? Our driver isn't any longer/straighter/better than last year but you should buy it anyways?

LOL..........now what fun would that be?

I'm playing a 10 year old driver today. I've hit many drivers that are as good but have not found a better head. Have changed shafts multiple times to give a a slight change in launch or feel but the head still works for me.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

Seriously.. someone has to have pics! The new TM M1 was already leaked (if that's really it), C'MON!! :)

No kidding ! Let's see them already

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter