Saw some new Callaway Woods last night (The Epic Thread)

jimpsycho

Callaway did it for me, thru DD. I specified D3 swing weight (since I like my drivers on the lighter side) so thats the weight it came with. Its perfect at D3, very, very easy to release the head...its more straight than a "fade" machine as quoted by Crossfield and others. My usual miss is a fade/push on my G LS, so this is a welcomed help.

Happy for you, but this kinda pisses me off. I ordered through my local pro and requested 44.5" and D4 swing weight. He spoke to someone at Callaway and the local Callaway rep and both told him they wouldn't do anything to adjust swing weight. They recommended I not go shorter than 45" as the club would play too light.

I reluctantly ordered at 45" and figured I'd just cut it down myself and add lead tape. It came in at D2, so looks like they didn't do anything to adjust swing weight. I've cut it down to 44.5" and was planning to just add lead tape, but I hate to do that to this beautiful club. I'm going to contact Callaway CS tomorrow and see if they will send me a 7 gram weight. Hopefully they will make it right.

so wait, the rep and callaway both told you they wouldn't do anything to adjust swing weight --- you ordered anyway...and are now mad that it wasn't adjusted for you?

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so wait, the rep and callaway both told you they wouldn't do anything to adjust swing weight --- you ordered anyway...and are now mad that it wasn't adjusted for you?

Frustrated that two employees said they would, then when ordered said they wouldn't, but they ARE adjusting for some orders. I went ahead and ordered knowing that I would probably have to add lead tape.

Callaway GBB EPIC Sub Zero, HZRDUS Yellow 65g
Callaway XR Pro 20° hybrid, Tour AD DI
Callaway X2Hot Pro 23° hybrid, Aldila Tour Green
Callaway Apex Pro 7-PW / Apex 5&6, KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Mack Daddy 2 50°, 54°, PM Grind 58°
Callaway Chrome Soft

Frustrated that two employees said they would, then when ordered said they wouldn't, but they ARE adjusting for some orders. I went ahead and ordered knowing that I would probably have to add lead tape.

well, good luck. the shaft you got fitted for (HZRDUS Yellow) doesn't help either. counterbalanced means your SW would be lighter anyhow -- it's tough to make up.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

All these swing weight issues make me happy I have found a trust worthy club maker to build my clubs. The clubs I have ordered have come out perfect in every regard (to a tenth of a swing weight point). The extra few bucks it cost me and the extra few days wait are all worth it!

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Anyone try one with a Hzrdus Yellow? I'm thinking of pulling my Ping tip and trying it in my Epic SZ. Anyone have pics of the Epic/Yellow combo? Cheers

I have the Yellow in my SZ, but it's the black with yellow writing 'Tour Issue' version. I love it. Very smooth and stable shaft.

Callaway GBB EPIC Sub Zero, HZRDUS Yellow 65g
Callaway XR Pro 20° hybrid, Tour AD DI
Callaway X2Hot Pro 23° hybrid, Aldila Tour Green
Callaway Apex Pro 7-PW / Apex 5&6, KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Mack Daddy 2 50°, 54°, PM Grind 58°
Callaway Chrome Soft

Anyone try one with a Hzrdus Yellow? I'm thinking of pulling my Ping tip and trying it in my Epic SZ. Anyone have pics of the Epic/Yellow combo? Cheers

I have the Yellow in my SZ, but it's the black with yellow writing 'Tour Issue' version. I love it. Very smooth and stable shaft.

Thanks! I think it would be an awesome combo too. Just not sure how the Yellow and green would look but if it performs then who cares.

Callaway did it for me, thru DD. I specified D3 swing weight (since I like my drivers on the lighter side) so thats the weight it came with. Its perfect at D3, very, very easy to release the head...its more straight than a "fade" machine as quoted by Crossfield and others. My usual miss is a fade/push on my G LS, so this is a welcomed help.

Happy for you, but this kinda pisses me off. I ordered through my local pro and requested 44.5" and D4 swing weight. He spoke to someone at Callaway and the local Callaway rep and both told him they wouldn't do anything to adjust swing weight. They recommended I not go shorter than 45" as the club would play too light.

I reluctantly ordered at 45" and figured I'd just cut it down myself and add lead tape. It came in at D2, so looks like they didn't do anything to adjust swing weight. I've cut it down to 44.5" and was planning to just add lead tape, but I hate to do that to this beautiful club. I'm going to contact Callaway CS tomorrow and see if they will send me a 7 gram weight. Hopefully they will make it right.

I understand your frustration but I've been warning against this stuff in various threads for years. If you want to play a driver less than 45" and get a reasonable swing-weight then really you only have one option: Titleist. Just think about what you are asking the OEM to do. If the stock length is 45.5 inches and you want it to play 44.5 then they somehow have to come up with 6 extra swing-weight points. Now they could try to go find a heavy head in inventory or add a little extra glue, but 6 swing-weight points is a lot to make up. Meanwhile, they have 100 orders right behind yours that they need to get done that day. I know we all think for a $500 club that this is a reasonable ask, but its just not going to happen on a consistent basis.

They have added extra weights for a number of people who ordered 44.5". There are a number of posts with pics showing it. Titleist isn't the only option, but it would be nice if there was consistency here. It should be just another step in the assuming process. Most people on here would pay an extra $20 to have them add the proper weight, which is all that would be needed to cover the labor for weighing on a sw scale, type the # in a calculator with the simple formula based on length to provide them the size weight to add.

They seem to be going down the right path at Callaway since they are actively doing something for at least some orders. I'm interested to see what mine comes in at, ordered at 45".

ECPC is obviously not welcome to the public so looking for Epic recommendations on where to get an outdoor fitting in So Cal.

Already aware of Cool Clubs and Carlsbad GC. Don't know if Club Fix is still at Strawberry Farms. Any others?

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Can someone with the Epic driver and/or fairway confirm if the line on the adaptor is on the bottom of the hosel or on the top? I have a few shafts I'm installing adaptors on and just want to make sure I do it graphics down. Thanks

The line goes on the bottom

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Can someone with the Epic driver and/or fairway confirm if the line on the adaptor is on the bottom of the hosel or on the top? I have a few shafts I'm installing adaptors on and just want to make sure I do it graphics down. Thanks

The line goes on the bottom

Thanks very much..I figured it was the same as my 816 but wanted to confirm

ECPC is obviously not welcome to the public so looking for Epic recommendations on where to get an outdoor fitting in So Cal.

Already aware of Cool Clubs and Carlsbad GC. Don't know if Club Fix is still at Strawberry Farms. Any others?

I wouldn't quite put it that way perhaps.

If you have a Callaway account holder book you an appointment it might be possible to have a fitting there.

Having said that I don't know what cost and wait times might be involved.

I work at a Callaway account and my rep managed to get me an appointment there, great bunch of guys at the ECPC!

Thanks for the tip. I'll might just ask around if no other reasonable options.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

So, finally got to see these in person. Didn't have time to hit them though. But, the crown graphics are much more subtle in person than in pictures. The thing that stood out to me was the head shape. They look shorter from heal to toe than I was expecting.

Good looking club!

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I was recently fit on trackman and the epic gbb std with hzrdus red. I couldnt quite bring myseld to pay the $360 charge for thr red.

Then one cold day after work i hit the new m1 with a kuro kage silver, m2 3 hl stock stiff, cobra f7 stock fuji, stock gbb. Didnt hit the m1 at 16* at all. Had a lot of blocks with the f7. The m2 and the gbb were both good but the m2 seemed longer and more accurate.

Then i went to my local golf galaxy on Friday and wanted to hit some fairways. Again the f7 just wouldn't work with several different shafts. Also hit the gbb, sz, and m2 all with stock shafts. Nothing was really standing out.

Then the pro took the sz from me. I tried not to look at the changes. I started stripping them to the green at 220-250 even hit one to 260. It was gaining distance and dispersion. Finally looked at the specs. He put the rogue max 75 stiff at draw, 17* and weight forward. It has been a beast on the course. Nice and straight. My buddies are wanting one. Has me debating a 5 wood and driver now.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I just got the 13.5 SZ, and was not overly impressed until I put my black tie in it, then it seemed to come alive. This will be good from the tee, and the turf. great feel, and long.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I just got the 13.5 SZ, and was not overly impressed until I put my black tie in it, then it seemed to come alive. This will be good from the tee, and the turf. great feel, and long.

what did you have before? Is it longer than other3 woods?

I have 3 - 816 Alpha's. I have been playing it since just after release, stocked up lately as they got cheap, as I was sure I would never, ever even hit another fairway wood...lol.

I had sold some stuff sitting around and bought this on a whim, as I had been messing with a Mini 1.5, but did not seem like it was going to be what I wanted off the deck.

I am not going to talk about numbers, as it was a sim, but it was same shaft in both (swapped out), much more significant than I thought. My buddy plays an XR Pro, hit it twice and asked me not to let him touch it again..

I hit 2 that were longer than any drive i hit with my GBB all day. I will obviously hold out judgement til on course (could be this week), but it just seems like a fun club.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Played 9 with my Epic SZ this afternoon. Man this is a seriously a fun driver. Hit 4/7 fairways and a 5th that was pretty close. The forgiveness is just ridiculous. My misses off the toe were still getting well out there. I also had my longest drive to date with it on the last hole that was around 20 yards further than normal.

I have the Epic SZ 15 deg. that I just got to hit. Just made a pile with it on the range with a nice high draws. Went out to one of the par fives on the course were I normally might use this club (250 yd.).I hit 6 balls with 3 on the surface 2 inside 15 feet one about 25 ft., one long and two in front left bunker. Overall very pleased with this club.

I was recently fit on trackman and the epic gbb std with hzrdus red. I couldnt quite bring myseld to pay the $360 charge for thr red.

Then one cold day after work i hit the new m1 with a kuro kage silver, m2 3 hl stock stiff, cobra f7 stock fuji, stock gbb. Didnt hit the m1 at 16* at all. Had a lot of blocks with the f7. The m2 and the gbb were both good but the m2 seemed longer and more accurate.

Then i went to my local golf galaxy on Friday and wanted to hit some fairways. Again the f7 just wouldn't work with several different shafts. Also hit the gbb, sz, and m2 all with stock shafts. Nothing was really standing out.

Then the pro took the sz from me. I tried not to look at the changes. I started stripping them to the green at 220-250 even hit one to 260. It was gaining distance and dispersion. Finally looked at the specs. He put the rogue max 75 stiff at draw, 17* and weight forward. It has been a beast on the course. Nice and straight. My buddies are wanting one. Has me debating a 5 wood and driver now.

I have a Hzrdus Red 65 6.0 flex with a Callaway tip I'm looking to sell. A lot less than $360 :)

AI Smoke Max Ventus Velocore +
Callaway GBB Fuji 757 vi 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

All I know is that I have the Epic SZ fairway woods with Aldila Rogue Silver and they may be the best I've had since the OG RBZ. Not closed off at all, super easy off the ground, and go a mile. I would definitely recommend going weight forward to start with though bc it made a huge difference for me in the success of the club. Tried it back and it was not good lol

Highly recommend

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke TD 8 degree w/ Ventus TR 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex, Adams Idea Pro 23 X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Tour Issue DG X100 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Makefield
Ball: 2024 Chrome Tour X

Wonder if they'll introduce Jailbreak to the fairways in the future?

Guaranteed to see that next year!

"GBB EPIC...now EPIC-IER"

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

XR16s replacements coming next year.. will be interesting to see if they use any of this year's technology into them.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway