Saw some new Callaway Woods last night (The Epic Thread)

jimpsycho

Phil is notorious for his high spin, very surprised that he is going with the standard Epic and not the SZ? anybody heard or read why he chose that model?

Standard Epic is pretty darn low spin, I had a client in today that was around 1900rpm on solid strikes with 120mph club head speed.

There was a discussion on the Callaway Community and one of the Callaway designers said that the GBB Epic is lower spin than the last GBB and the SZ Epic is higher spin than past SZs bringing them much closer to each other than in past releases. The main difference between the 2 is for miss/directional control - GBB Epic for left/right control and Epic SZ for high/low/spin control.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil is notorious for his high spin, very surprised that he is going with the standard Epic and not the SZ? anybody heard or read why he chose that model?

Standard Epic is pretty darn low spin, I had a client in today that was around 1900rpm on solid strikes with 120mph club head speed.

There was a discussion on the Callaway Community and one of the Callaway designers said that the GBB Epic is lower spin than the last GBB and the SZ Epic is higher spin than past SZs bringing them much closer to each other than in past releases. The main difference between the 2 is for miss/directional control - GBB Epic for left/right control and Epic SZ for high/low/spin control.

That's surprising to hear because most of what I've read and seen online has been the opposite. The forgiveness has been commented on for both heads but this is the first I've read of lower spin with the standard EPIC

This is what I have heard from my friend in the tour department too. I asked him what head to go with and he told me standard Epic and I am a high spin player with 120+ mph club head speed (he knows my game well). He just said stick with a low spin shaft (HZRDUS Black) in the standard head and you will never have to worry about too much spin and get the benefits of forgiveness and directional control. I will still probably try the SZ head with a slightly higher launching shaft too just to see what works best, but from what I know the spin isn't that much different, hence a lot of tour players using the standard head.

This is what I have heard from my friend in the tour department too. I asked him what head to go with and he told me standard Epic and I am a high spin player with 120+ mph club head speed (he knows my game well). He just said stick with a low spin shaft (HZRDUS Black) in the standard head and you will never have to worry about too much spin and get the benefits of forgiveness and directional control. I will still probably try the SZ head with a slightly higher launching shaft too just to see what works best, but from what I know the spin isn't that much different, hence a lot of tour players using the standard head.

I"d like to see the exact MOI numbers on both and their COG locations for comparison purposes....

Using the same loft, shaft (KK XT 60) and '16 Chrome Soft ball, the Epic Sub Zero spun approximately 400-500 rpm less than the Epic.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Using the same loft, shaft (KK XT 60) and '16 Chrome Soft ball, the Epic Sub Zero spun approximately 400-500 rpm less than the Epic.

I had a very similar results.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

I agree with the description on the Callaway forum.

I can't wait for my SZ 10.5 to arrive! It's like being a kid at Christmas again! ?

I was fit today for the epic... ordering it tomorrow 4a7ede4796ac793e8e2dd4054b73b73d.jpg

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Got fit today into the GBB Epic, was expecting one of my own shafts to win out (Kiyoshi HB, Hzrdus Red, Project X lz) but ended up with a Paderson Kinetixx Kevlar Green. I had never hit or considered the shaft but it was the clear winner. Great smash factor numbers with the Epic and the retention of ball speed on mis hits was impressive. I'm excited about putting the new combo into play.

AI Smoke Max Ventus Velocore +
Callaway GBB Fuji 757 vi 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

Got fit today into the GBB Epic, was expecting one of my own shafts to win out (Kiyoshi HB, Hzrdus Red, Project X lz) but ended up with a Paderson Kinetixx Kevlar Green. I had never hit or considered the shaft but it was the clear winner. Great smash factor numbers with the Epic and the retention of ball speed on mis hits was impressive. I'm excited about putting the new combo into play.

I bet you were fit at Club Champion. Those guys love Paderson shafts.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I was getting 12 degrees by the end of the fitting with the same ball speed but it was the only pic I had

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX

I was getting 12 degrees by the end of the fitting with the same ball speed but it was the only pic I had

How did that change your #s? I'm assuming more carry. Did you adjust loft or swing?

You could go with the 10.5 head perhaps, but as has been mentioned there isn't a lot to criticise other than the launch angle ?

How did that change your #s? I'm assuming more carry. Did you adjust loft or swing?

You could go with the 10.5 head perhaps, but as has been mentioned there isn't a lot to criticise other than the launch angle ?

What weights will fit the bottom of the SZ? Will the 815 weights do the job?

No, the weights from the 815 will not work.

List of Callaway clubs that the weights will work with...

Callaway X Utility Proto, Apex Utility, X2 Hot Pro, XR Pro, XR16 Pro XR16 Sub Zero, Great Big Bertha 816 & Alpha 816.

I have seen weights range from 2g up to 14g from Callaway and up to 15g aftermarket however the aftermarket weight (from Billy Bobs) was too long to fit in some heads and head locations.

Just getting used to the kick point on the shaft.

298 carry, 320 overall. The swing speed was read wrong on picture. I was averaging 117-120 mph and 170-175 ball speeds. Spin became a bit higher to 2400 but I like having a little extra spin then optimal because it plays better on the course.

298 carry, 320 overall. The swing speed was read wrong on picture. I was averaging 117-120 mph and 170-175 ball speeds. Spin became a bit higher to 2400 but I like having a little extra spin then optimal because it plays better on the course.

Very nice. Looks like you ended up with great results.

Very nice. Looks like you ended up with great results.

Yes I am very happy. Once I figured out the shaft it was the tightest dispersion I've ever had. I mainly attribute this to getting an actual fitting vs guessing. I picked up 20 yards over my g30 LST

The standard head dropped my spin 300 rpm from my Ping G25. The SZ dropped it another 200 RPM. I have a little over the top move that produces an negative angle of impact, so I went with the SZ for the reduced spin. I could play either one, easily.

The standard head dropped my spin 300 rpm from my Ping G25. The SZ dropped it another 200 RPM. I have a little over the top move that produces an negative angle of impact, so I went with the SZ for the reduced spin. I could play either one, easily.

To be honest, you can play with any driver (that big Easy swing)

However, I think it is important to try to stay with the numbers you were fitted at. Might be losing some yards if that spin goes back up, etc.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

This question may have come up previously in the thread or perhaps in others, but I confirmed with Callaway that the Rogue Max available as a stock option in EPIC woods is the mid-launch version.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Hit them both again on Flightscope today. Unfortunately, it was 40 degrees and windy, so results were unimpressive, but the SZ was a better match for me than the Epic. The first time I hit them, I really couldn't distinguish a big difference, but this time, the spin numbers with the

Epic were much higher for me than the SZ. I have a golf weekend scheduled in Florida in 2 weeks, so I will take the SZ with me and see how it performs on the course. Also hit both of them against my Cobra King LTD, and I think my misses were a little less dramatic with the SZ vs. the King LTD, but not confident about those results.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR2 with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Got mine today. 44.5". Guess animal style is more than just a way to order fries!

Very cool of Cally to do that. Do you know how much the head weighs with the two weights?

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]