Saw some new Callaway Woods last night (The Epic Thread)

jimpsycho

I was fit to an Epic SZ set to -1/S, 12 G weight back, with a Diamana D+ 73g X. It was about 12 yards longer than my XR16 SZ HZRDUS Black combo. Driver is really forgiving and very consistent. I was trying to hook it and really could only get nice draws out of it. Very confident feel over it.

Was a little disappointed that I didn't get to hit some higher end shafts. Wanted to hit Oban Kyoshi but didn't have time. I may do it later though. The SZ with the Diamana D+ was a really good fit for me, and no upcharge which is cool. I can always test a little more, and if I find something better, sell the D+.

I also was kind of "quick fit" to an Epic 3, 15 degree (Standard not SZ version), with a Rogue Max 75 X. That was about 10-11 yards longer than my 3 deep with a black tie 7m3. Also very impressed at how easy it was to hit.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M1 460 Vs Epic Sub zero

Carries it 100 yds more than me! Wow!

Sweet baby Jesus if I swung that hard the ball would be going hard right or literally bouncing left from a shank! Wish I would swing that friggin hard and control it.

Cobra F9 TL 10.5 Atmos Black 7x
Cobra F8+ 3/4 &/or 5/6 Tour Blue 85x
Cobra F8 2H Element EarthX &/or Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0
Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58 LZ 6.0

Some form of a Scotty, Betti, Spider

Well, today I had my third road test with the Epic SZ........., it is a no go. On only one shot did it gave me a paltry two yards more than my Cobra King Ltd. but was not nearly as forgiving. The spin rate was consistently 250-300 rpm higher and the dispersion averaged ll yards left while the Cobra maintained its 6 yard dispersion pattern. For all you studly types, bear in mind my swing speed is only 92-95 mph which gives me 233-246 yards.

Cobra King....... 9.5*, Rogue Black R, launch 14-15.3*, spin rate 2300-2450

Epic SZ............ 9.5* Hazrdous 50 gm R, launch 13.5- 14.25*, spin rate 2550-2750

Both are great drivers. The King Ltd is staying and in closing both of these handily outperformed the new M1, M2, Ping G30, Titliest 917 D2, and Cobra F6+, all with similar loft and shafts.

I fit dozens of drivers every year and my best advice is not to put stock into what works for anyone else. Be your own judge. Ball flight does not lie.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

My golf spy recently did a very exhaustive test of a variety of low launch low spin shafts. Each manufacture was asked to provide their lowest spin shaft. You would think by doing this you would end up with a group of very "similar" shafts.

The test results proved without question this was not the case. The results showed very real differences in distance and dispersion for the different testors when they changed from shaft to shaft. Some of these ranges were huge. To be honest, I was completely caught off guard by how much difference there was for some testors when they changed shafts.

Maybe the Rogue isn't as similar to the Hazrdous as one might think and the shafts played a larger role in your test than imagined?

My golf spy recently did a very exhaustive test of a variety of low launch low spin shafts. Each manufacture was asked to provide their lowest spin shaft. You would think by doing this you would end up with a group of very "similar" shafts.

The test results proved without question this was not the case. The results showed very real differences in distance and dispersion for the different testors when they changed from shaft to shaft. Some of these ranges were huge. To be honest, I was completely caught off guard by how much difference there was for some testors when they changed shafts.

Maybe the Rogue isn't as similar to the Hazrdous as one might think?

Each shaft manufacturer chooses to call their shafts high launch or low launch or low spin based in what ever criteria that they want to use. There is no consistency from company to company as to how they label their shafts.

Went to go get fit for a SZ today and no matter what I tried it wasn't beating my JPX-900. I was ready to buy this thing too as I was hitting it - It felt really really good, loved the sound, and the numbers as the fitter was reading them sounded nice. I knew they weren't mind blowing, but I imagined they'd be slightly better than the 900 once I got that on the monitor.

Well I hopped on the monitor with the 900 and every number you'd look for was superior - ball speed, spin, carry, dispersion. So I said ok let me hit the SZ again now that I'm rolling... nope still nothing.

I will say I hit both the new M1/M2 and the SZ blew those out of the water. They weren't even in the same area code.

Edit: Want to add that I personally thought the Rogue Max and the T800 HZRDS were trash. But I have decent swing speed and was seeing 170 ball speed from the SZ once properly fit into an appropriate shaft.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

Went ahead and ordered the Epic in 10.5 with the Diamana Green 50g shaft in stiff today. Hit the HZRDUS a bit longer but felt more comfortable with the Diamana. The Rogue was too low launching and the Fuji was nice but didn't stand out.

Average swing speed was 98-99, carry 237, total 258, with a really tight dispersion, despite them only having it in regular, which was spinning about 300rpms more than the stiff should... Those numbers are great for me, especially coming off an injury.

Note: I put my longtime gamer shaft in there (Graphite Design MT), and it was 7-8 yards worse. It's going up for sale in BST.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 10.5 Diamana
3W: EPIC Diamana
5W: EPIC Hzrdus
Callaway Rogue Pro, 50/56/60 TM
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball

Well, today I had my third road test with the Epic SZ........., it is a no go. On only one shot did it gave me a paltry two yards more than my Cobra King Ltd. but was not nearly as forgiving. The spin rate was consistently 250-300 rpm higher and the dispersion averaged ll yards left while the Cobra maintained its 6 yard dispersion pattern. For all you studly types, bear in mind my swing speed is only 92-95 mph which gives me 233-246 yards.

Cobra King....... 9.5*, Rogue Black R, launch 14-15.3*, spin rate 2300-2450

Epic SZ............ 9.5* Hazrdous 50 gm R, launch 13.5- 14.25*, spin rate 2550-2750

Both are great drivers. The King Ltd is staying and in closing both of these handily outperformed the new M1, M2, Ping G30, Titliest 917 D2, and Cobra F6+, all with similar loft and shafts.

I fit dozens of drivers every year and my best advice is not to put stock into what works for anyone else. Be your own judge. Ball flight does not lie.

I found this as well. The LTD was better.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

I tried the subzero again today but this time with a rouge max 75 x and was getting unreal numbers. Hitting it side by side with a 2017m1 with hazardous yellow handcrafted and it wasn't even close. I will say that I like the feel of the m1 more, the hit feels softer and more powerful but the sound of the subzero is better and I think I will get used to the hard face feel. I think the rouge max might be better then my DI7

Titleist TS3, 9.5, Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 8
Callaway xforged utility 18, AD DI 105
Taylormade p770 4-pw, Project X 
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58 Project X 
Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2

Tested my SZ with Rogue I/O vs D+ 70x vs Max vs Black tie 70m4 x

Best speed was the I/O (touched 184!)

Best dispersion was the Black Tie

Best feel was the D+ /Max felt great too

Best overall looks to be the D+ - the dispersion was right there and speed was under but close/black tie second

If I needed more launch the Max would be the pick - excellent shaft if tipped 1inch = dont be aftraid to custom order the max tipped 1 inch as its a half soft to flex and needs a little tip control for excellence

I tested the Epic GBB versus the 2017 M1 yesterday. Seemed like the 2017 has some refinements over the 2016 M1 that I have; better sound for one thing. Lighter of course.

My results were: the 2017 M1 blew away the Epic. I was very surprised. Best simulator distances I have ever seen. The shaft in the M1 was a regular, I always play stiff, so that was interesting too. I will have to bring my M1 in for another test side by side.

Finally got to hit the epic today with my Oban Kiyoshi HB. I really like the feel and the looks are better than I expected. I was indoors at pga superstore so the numbers are not too reliable other than ball speed which was 2-3 mph faster on center hits than my GBB Tour head. The off center hits really impressed me in that there was a minimal drop in ball speed. I have a fitting scheduled for next Saturday outdoors which will be great for a comparison.

AI Smoke Max Ventus Velocore +
Callaway GBB Fuji 757 vi 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

Finally got to hit the epic today with my Oban Kiyoshi HB. I really like the feel and the looks are better than I expected. I was indoors at pga superstore so the numbers are not too reliable other than ball speed which was 2-3 mph faster on center hits than my GBB Tour head. The off center hits really impressed me in that there was a minimal drop in ball speed. I have a fitting scheduled for next Saturday outdoors which will be great for a comparison.

I love the Oban Kiyoshi HB. keep us posted!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I've had a week or two to fiddle with some settings in the Sub Zero with my ADDI 7x. Found a setting that worked pretty well. Going to order the Sub Zero with a Hzrdus yellow 75x to have a different shaft. Here is one of the better shots that I hit today. I consistently had ball speeds of 168mph+. Already love the driver.

9c8fbfda35d927122c79ad18bd117dd8.jpg

knuckleball

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

I don't think 1500 spin is quite ideal.

It's not ideal. Need several hundred more but the ball speed was really good on that shot and got that carry with about 600 rpm too little.

Real world, that ball probably falls from the sky well before 300 yards.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

The standard Epic would probably be better from a spin perspective. 1500 is way to low.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

The standard Epic would probably be better from a spin perspective. 1500 is way to low.

You can get away with spin being that low when ball speed is that high.

Having said that I would suggest trying the Sub Zero to 10.5 loft the extra 300rpm or so of spin from the higher loft would improve the launch conditions and it is highly likely there would be more carry from the little extra loft.

What are most guys seeing for spin and forgiveness difference between the SZ and the standard model?

Titleist TS3, 9.5, Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 8
Callaway xforged utility 18, AD DI 105
Taylormade p770 4-pw, Project X 
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58 Project X 
Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2

Phil is notorious for his high spin, very surprised that he is going with the standard Epic and not the SZ? anybody heard or read why he chose that model?

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag