Poulter responds to Brandel's criticism.... gets blocked.

Caddykev

Brandel to me is the guy that is paid to give his opinion. Listening to him yesterday and through the rest of the Players, he doesnt say much that is out of the ordinary. I actually like the fact that he says things that might challenge the accepted if that makes any sense. It opens up discussion and leads to interesting input from the other analyst on the panel. There needs to be that one guy who will speak his mind whether it is accepted or challenged.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18 ... can't fault a guy for shanking a shot. Nervy bad swing, what ya gonna do.

On his 4th shot from the cleared out pine straw, even Mark Rolfing was saying that Poulter should be looking out low and in front of the green to make 6 at worst and protect his finish. That was an all or nothing scenario right there. He took it on and it paid off big time.

Kim did what needed to be done on Sunday at this year's fake 5th major. He played steady, clean golf. The rest of them showed up, and then gave up.

JB Holmes went from champ to chop in a matter of 4 hours. Upon finishing # 17, the poor guy looked like Robert Allenby sans the bruises, lacerations and outrageous claims.

Kim did what needed to be done on Sunday at this year's fake 5th major. He played steady, clean golf. The rest of them showed up, and then gave up.

JB Holmes went from champ to chop in a matter of 4 hours. Upon finishing # 17, the poor guy looked like Robert Allenby sans the bruises, lacerations and outrageous claims.

I'm just glad I was at my in laws stuffing my face and didn't see his late round. Took a peek at his shot tracker for 17 and almost cried.

"Money matters, world ranking points matter, and I get it," Chamblee said. "I have hit that shot. I have done that. I have done exactly what Ian Poulter did. No one is ever going to call me a good player. We reserve the right to call great players and great shots. This is why we don't laud (Poulter's shot). We laud the shot David Duval hit, the shots that Tiger Woods hit. That's why we laud those, that's why we stand up and go 'Well done, great shot.' (Poulter's shot), was not that."

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/05/14/brandel-chamblee-ian-poulter-clearly-did-not-play-win-players

Probably not the first to say, because I haven't read down any further, but Brandel has not hit that shot final round of The Players, with all the in round and other circumstances Poulter was processing.

Good for Ian!

Poulter probably did what he should have done in that situation. The course wasn't really in condition to play aggressively unless you put yourself into position off the tee.

On the other hand, Chamblee is right. Poulter played conservatively for whatever reason he chose, but nobody is going to stand up and applaud that type of play as something bordering greatness.

As far as Chamblee blocking Poulter... if true... they're both a couple of snowflakes when it comes to being offended and blocking people on twitter and the like.

"Money matters, world ranking points matter, and I get it," Chamblee said. "I have hit that shot. I have done that. I have done exactly what Ian Poulter did. No one is ever going to call me a good player. We reserve the right to call great players and great shots. This is why we don't laud (Poulter's shot). We laud the shot David Duval hit, the shots that Tiger Woods hit. That's why we laud those, that's why we stand up and go 'Well done, great shot.' (Poulter's shot), was not that."

http://www.golf.com/...lay-win-players

Probably not the first to say, because I haven't read down any further, but Brandel has not hit that shot final round of The Players, with all the in round and other circumstances Poulter was processing.

Good for Ian!

Hey now..In Chamblees 15 year "career" he only missed 8 cuts at majors. Pretty damn strong huh? Ok fine. He also had 46 "did not plays" and 6 made cuts. Best was a 18th at the Masters. So he made 6 of 14 cuts at majors which is nice. So he has that going for him.

Granted it is more than any of us did but perhaps he should get off his high horse on occasion.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Brandel is great. I don't always agree with him, but good to hear a guy actually say something as an analyst rather than just kissing everyone's a**.

I understand Brandel's point. Perhaps Poulter wasn't trying to win.

I also understand Poulter's point. This guy almost lost his card and this 2nd place cashout was huge for him. I would've probably done the same thing. Now if I were Tiger and won 14 majors already and had hundreds of millions of dollars, I would've gone for the pin.

btw... $924k for a T2... fack man! they must be printing their own money there in ponte vedra

Hey Grayson Murray made $18,900 for his MDF. Maybe he can afford a new tooth.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I heard Chamblee this morning. He's such a twit.

What would he have said if the leader had rinsed two on 17 and Poults had won?

Great shot on 17 would be my guess.

Agree, Chamblee's a clown. Perfect commentator for the age of social media.

Exactly, without Tiger to get his name in the headlines he needs to find some other pro's to piss off.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

The system is what it is. You get nearly the paycheck and FedEx points for coming in 2nd at the players as you do for winning most any other tournament on the tour. Even after Gay found the calculation glitch Poulter was still only 135th in the rankings and needed the big payout to make the playoffs and secure his card for next season. After nearly losing his card a few weeks ago he must've known exactly how many fedex points each place was worth yesterday. I don't know if he played for second but certainly wouldn't blame him if he did. Now that he has some security he can take chances in future tournaments if he chooses.

Brandel reminds me of the old basketball announcer Billy Packer. Billy was undefeated from the announcer's seat. Always very critical of coaches that were actually coaching the game. A real expert! Brandel would make people think that Tiger was trying to break his record, not Jack's. Brandel was a marginal Tour player that's not in the same league as Poulter. It also seems that Poulter can engage in a little give and take, and Brandel is a "I'm going to take my ball and go home" kind of guy. Don't have much respect for the guys that can dish it, but not take it.

Brandel was pretty much dead on. That was a lackluster finish if I ever seen one. The leader was able to play par golf because no one challenged him, certainly not Poulter who was playing like he was protecting the lead or Holmes who simply imploded.

Flip side is just look at the leaderboard and all of the "names" that were going backwards on a difficult day for scoring. Maybe he figured his best chance was to make pars and have Kim stumble. The fact that Kim did not does not make the strategy incorrect. No one was able to be aggressive AND shoot a good score it seemed.

Brandel reminds me of the old basketball announcer Billy Packer. Billy was undefeated from the announcer's seat. Always very critical of coaches that were actually coaching the game. A real expert! Brandel would make people think that Tiger was trying to break his record, not Jack's. Brandel was a marginal Tour player that's not in the same league as Poulter. It also seems that Poulter can engage in a little give and take, and Brandel is a "I'm going to take my ball and go home" kind of guy. Don't have much respect for the guys that can dish it, but not take it.

The world is full of guys like billy packer and chamblee. Hindsight is 20/20.

Flip side is just look at the leaderboard and all of the "names" that were going backwards on a difficult day for scoring. Maybe he figured his best chance was to make pars and have Kim stumble. The fact that Kim did not does not make the strategy incorrect. No one was able to be aggressive AND shoot a good score it seemed.

Where those two points differ is in general fans want to see it all laid on the line in an effort to win. That is where heroes are made. That is where the memories are made. Instead you have what happened, a lackluster finish no one will even remember next year.

So is here a chance Kim could melt down on his own? Sure. However pressing him into playing for birdies instead of on autopilot taking the safe shots increases those odds.

Where those two points differ is in general fans want to see it all laid on the line in an effort to win. That is where heroes are made. That is where the memories are made. Instead you have what happened, a lackluster finish no one will even remember next year.

So is here a chance Kim could melt down on his own? Sure. However pressing him into playing for birdies instead of on autopilot taking the safe shots increases those odds.

Or, on that course showing a relentless march up the leaderboard as Poulter did on the front nine and holding steady on the back could force errors from Kim. What the fans want is NASCAR carnage and they get it at the Players. Poulter played a style that gives him the best chance to win.

I think it's both. I very rarely defend chamblah but in this instance he as well as Nobilo and Duval who all seem to agree with BC but didn't actually say it is right. I think ian is correct in how he played 16-18. None of us know that kind of pressure and it has happened many times where guys who aren't "use" to that part of the stage fold. Ian wanted to be there to scoop it up. I would criticize his play BEFORE 16 that made you scratch your head and wonder "man, is this guy wanting to win?" or "man, is he missing shots that bad?"...I want to believe he missed the shots he wanted to hit. Look at his reactions after his "safe" plays and he looks a little miffed like he didn't pull it off. I use to work with a Doctor who coached my mental side and strategic side of golf. We would have things like "Have an A shot , a B shot and your C shot" . figure out which one is appropriate to hit in each situation and then commit. He would also say "Bank your par, or Bank your bogey" This was an ongoing adjustment after each shot. Banking meant you hit the next shot that would "guarantee" the highest number you could make> for instance if I am 140 out in the fairway I would approach my next shot with the intent of "banking my par" meaning I wasn't going to hit at a tucked pin or a short sided pin and bring bogey or higher into the equation. Let's say I hit a bad shot and put it in the bunker well then I would approach the next shot as a "bank your bogey" moment and so on. It really helped me commit to shots and play "freer". I saw a lot of that in Poulter yesterday. Doesn't make it wrong but doesn't make for "theatrical" finishes.

What Brandel was 100% true but Ian probably doesn't have millions in his bank account anymore so basically he was playing for his family and pride in his mind. Could you imagine what would have been said if he had to downsize his house or Ferrari collection? People would be down right ruthless and some of it he certainly would have brought on himself. Maybe this will free him up a little a get back to a little better form..it would probably be fair to speculate that he hasn't put in the necessary effort to retain his form in the past couple of years.

Now's about the time were Ian tries to figure out a way to get Brandle fired, isn't that his style in these situations?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm not a fan of Chamblee because of what I perceive as arrogance. I'm not a fan of Poulter mainly for the above mentioned reason. They should just block each other and move on with life. If I cared enough about either of them, I'd block them both.