Danny Willett worst major champion ever?

Arpeggi

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still trying to get mileage off hating Danny Willett because of what his brother said about American golf fans?

There are a lot of one time major championship winners.

It's unfortunate that his brother brought so much negative press. Some people will hold those words against him for the rest of his career.

In his brothers defense it was very funny.

It was!

Dimwit Americans mostly too stupid to get British humor, but it was very clever. It might not have been the brightest idea, knowing the collective intelligence of his target, but very clever and funny all the same. I cracked up reading it.

One thing for sure about British humor. It's never funny.

Tollbros youre the man for nearly everything. But british humor is hilarious - BBC's comedy shows are legendary. Even their newer shows like People just do nothing or white gold are funnier than anything out over here.

Also, Peter Aliss has made me chuckle more than all of the US commentators combined

Still trying to get mileage off hating Danny Willett because of what his brother said about American golf fans?

There are a lot of one time major championship winners.

It's unfortunate that his brother brought so much negative press. Some people will hold those words against him for the rest of his career.

It was!

Dimwit Americans mostly too stupid to get British humor, but it was very clever. It might not have been the brightest idea, knowing the collective intelligence of his target, but very clever and funny all the same. I cracked up reading it.

Knock Knock

I think you gotta put Shaun Micheel firmly in this spot. Only two other world wide professional wins, none on the PGA Tour. All of the other older guys mentioned have double digit worldwide wins (Hamilton, Jones, Campbell, Weir). Micheel did suffer greatly from injuries and medical problems (undiagnosed heart condition) - so at least he has an excuse - which Willett does not - but Willett still is young and could achieve much more. I think you could also put Andy North on this short list - who won two majors, but only one other PGA win (14 worldwide wins).

It was!

Tollbros youre the man for nearly everything. But british humor is hilarious - BBC's comedy shows are legendary. Even their newer shows like People just do nothing or white gold are funnier than anything out over here.

Also, Peter Aliss has made me chuckle more than all of the US commentators combined

Last time I found British humor funny was when I was 12 and watched The Benny Hill show with my grandfather.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I think you could also put Andy North on this short list - who won two majors, but only one other PGA win (14 worldwide wins).

History Lesson. Many career injuries. North was a lot better player that most will give him credit for.

http://www.pga.com/news/pga-tour/andy-north-overcame-injuries-win-two-us-opens

I think you could also put Andy North on this short list - who won two majors, but only one other PGA win (14 worldwide wins).

History Lesson. Many career injuries. North was a lot better player that most will give him credit for.

http://www.pga.com/news/pga-tour/andy-north-overcame-injuries-win-two-us-opens

Absolutely. He won his US Opens back when they were a true test of golf. Even one couldn't be attributed to a fluke, two makes him a legit badass.

I meant it as a bit of a dry humor joke. Hard to pull off on a keyboard I suppose. Haha. And yes I've seen White Gold, and really enjoy it.

He's in the field for this weeks Portugal Masters along Andy Sullivan, Shane Lowry, Russell Knox, Thomas Bjorn to name a few.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

It's weird to see this thread is still alive even if it's clearly dead. Shouldn't we close it already?

It's not dead, just pining for the fjords.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

A terrible golfer has never won a major.

That actually reminds me of a question a friend of mine used to ask when the "best player never to win a major" debate came up. He suggested looking at it in almost reverse.

Has a great golfer ever failed to win a major?

I can't think of one, there are many players who have underachieved in majors but they all managed at least one and of course many very good players who are major-less but a great golfer. I realise its very subjective, what's the criteria for great?

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

A terrible golfer has never won a major.

That actually reminds me of a question a friend of mine used to ask when the "best player never to win a major" debate came up. He suggested looking at it in almost reverse.

Has a great golfer ever failed to win a major?

I can't think of one, there are many players who have underachieved in majors but they all managed at least one and of course many very good players who are major-less but a great golfer. I realise its very subjective, what's the criteria for great?

Slightly biased, but I think Montgomerie is close to being a great player who never won a major. I think his game and consistency on the European tour over many years marks him as great. But it's also fair to argue that his inability to win playoffs or close out a major stops him from entering in the "great" category.

Possibly the luckiest? to be fair he won due to a major collapse.

If we are talking 'lucky' major winners I'd nominate Paul Lawrie. I'd go as far as to say he accidentally won it. Had he had any idea of what was about to unfold I don't think he'd have shot anywhere near the score he did.

To be fair Lawrie won a playoff, "lucky" for me are the ones like Simpson and Spieth US Opens, they won it from the locker room

Possibly the luckiest? to be fair he won due to a major collapse.

If we are talking 'lucky' major winners I'd nominate Paul Lawrie. I'd go as far as to say he accidentally won it. Had he had any idea of what was about to unfold I don't think he'd have shot anywhere near the score he did.

To be fair Lawrie won a playoff, "lucky" for me are the ones like Simpson and Spieth US Opens, they won it from the locker room

Every major is won by the person who shoots the lowest score over 72 holes - I don't understand the take when people say that someone else "lost" a major and they didn't "win" it. Spieth hit one of the best fairway wood shots ever on the last hole at Chambers to apply the pressure the DJ.

From memory Willett shot the best ever final round to win the masters...the best ever!

Paul Lawrie shot 67 on a day when only one other player broke 70. If Van de Vedle makes a couple bogeys earlier in his round and misses a birdie does that make Lawrie a more "valid" winner?

You win a major over 72 holes, not just on the back 9 on sunday. Weird.

Have you seen the show "Are you being served?" from the 70's? Heck it might even be from the 60's?

That may be the best television program ever. I'm trying to DVR every episode that comes on at 2am on PBS. Hilarious, old chap!

"I'm free!"

Screenshot_7.jpg

"Well one day I was at home threatening the kids when I looks out through the hole in the wall and sees this tank pull up and out gets one of Dinsdale's boys, so he comes in nice and friendly and says Dinsdale wants to have a word with me, so he chains me to the back of the tank and takes me for a scrape round to Dinsdale's place and Dinsdale's there in the conversation pit with Doug and Charles Paisley, the baby crusher, and two film producers and a man they called 'Kierkegaard', who just sat there biting the heads of whippets and Dinsdale says 'I hear you've been a naughty boy Clement' and he splits me nostrils open and saws me leg off and pulls me liver out and I tell him my name's not Clement and then... he loses his temper and nails me head to the floor."

" I tell him my name's not Clement". Rofl!!!!

Last time I found British humor funny was when I was 12 and watched The Benny Hill show with my grandfather.

Only problem with this statement is the fact, that the Benny Hill Show, while a British production, is not British Humour, but rather German Humour (trust me, I should know).

Blackadder is British Humour, Monty Python is British Humour, The Avengers are British Humour.

See the difference?

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Only problem with this statement is the fact, that the Benny Hill Show, while a British production, is not British Humour, but rather German Humour (trust me, I should know).

Blackadder is British Humour, Monty Python is British Humour, The Avengers are British Humour.

See the difference?

Then I guess I never found British humor funny....

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Have you seen the show "Are you being served?" from the 70's? Heck it might even be from the 60's?

That may be the best television program ever. I'm trying to DVR every episode that comes on at 2am on PBS. Hilarious, old chap!

Yes 'Are you being served', followed by 'Keeping Up Appearances'....