2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

US Open coverage by FOX

Highgolfer07

Shot tracer, Faxon, and less commercials are the positives.

The commentating is pretty awful. Buck loves to hear himself talk and ends up sticking his foot in his mouth. Azinger is looking for the next sound bite. Strange is boring and his predictions on what the player will do are often wrong. And it is glaring that Sonders was no where to be found today.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that they got Ray Romano to do color commentary..........errr.......uhh .....Faxon.

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

Just have to say that fox stinks. I just realized that my dvr did not capture anything past 3pm today. Why ? Fox starts and stops coverage from the multiple fox networks . I hit record for the entire event. But at 3 pm it stopped and started a new event. Thanks fox. So I have to go in and program it to record several events to get the whole show. I know I know it's ultimately my fault. But damn. Why so much swapping around. For the first two rounds while I was out of town I could watch half the coverage and the other half I didn't hav the correct fox Chanel. Just piss pour. It's as if this isn't a big enough sports event for thm to dedicate one Chanel to for the entire length.

Mo' money, mo' problems. I feel you, dawg.

I loved the shot tracer and I do think this year's commentary was better than last year, but Joe Buck is still the worst. He's so arrogant it's disgusting. I think Zinger and Faxon were just ok...not great. I prefer Faldo over those two any day.

Honestly, I turned down the volume for most of the coverage of the final round so I didn't have to listen tot he rabble from those 3 guys, especially Buck.

more shot tracer=awesome..

Commentators.. i dont know.. joe buck is eh.. i dont mind zinger/strange

was holly sonders even there yesterday? never saw her on TV, not once... and i watched a lot.. good for her.. signed a big deal, and is almost invisible.. pretty amazing

i dont know... fox is just OK.. the good news for them is that they get better every year slightly?

The shot tracer was awesome, love seeing how the wind takes the ball for a ride. I'm obviously in the minority though, I don't mind Joe Buck, in fact I think he does a good job. Couldn't stand anyone else though... Faxon and Strange annoyed the crap out of me. I didnt get to watch every minute, far from it, but it didn't feel like this was covered by people who know the game. Obviously not the case, just the impression I get... I love the hate for Buck though, I must be missing something. Camera work and shot tracer were great, though. I much prefer the Nobilo/Gannon combo on GC...

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

The split screen with shot racer is one of the best golf coverage innovations in decades.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Obviously Joe Buck has more qualifications than most of us here but I wonder if he knows golf.

I remember when Koepka is hitting his second shot with a long iron Buck said "Koepka with a 3 wood." Also on 9, someone was teeing off and Buck said "Player A hitting his second into the green."

Maybe he is not paying attention.

As A Cardinal fan, I love Joe Buck. But I did hear him pronounce 'Waialae' (the golf course in Hawaii) as 'We-ah-lay-ah'. Facepalm...

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

Did anybody else notice that when they cut to the audio of the guys on course that you could barely hear them? At my place, you could hear the sounds of the course (birds and etc) better than you could Ken Brown. I thought I was just getting old but it kept happening each time

The fake sounds (putts dropping in the cup, birds) were so shameless, it amazes me they were approved.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Yes, the sounds of the birds and the airplane drowned out most of the on-course voices. Sadly, Faxon's babbling was front and center in the audio mix though.

I find it odd that 3 years in, Fox still hasn't found a formula that works in terms of camera placement, on-air personnel, and graphics package. Even forgetting about the debacle that Holly Sonders has become for a moment, not getting distance/club choice on shots, or an occasional full-field leaderboard, even on a scroll, some ground-level camera shots on putts or tough lies, or a shot of a player scorecard hole by hole seems bizarre at this late date.

@Konklifer - those balls dropping were not fake sounds. Fox puts a microphone in each cup. They showed it being done early in the round when they let us watch the USGA cutting the hole location on 18.

I thought Fox did a good job. It was nice to hear a positive vibe between the Euro's and the US guys. Shot tracer is a must.

I also thought USGA did a decent job in the set-up and I have been critical in the past of them "tricking up" the courses. Tough, but fair and fun to watch.

Very enjoyable tournament - well done all around.

Obviously Joe Buck has more qualifications than most of us here but I wonder if he knows golf.

I remember when Koepka is hitting his second shot with a long iron Buck said "Koepka with a 3 wood." Also on 9, someone was teeing off and Buck said "Player A hitting his second into the green."

Maybe he is not paying attention.

The spotter/Fox truck is telling him what club a lot of the time.

Who here has more qualifications than Buck? 15+ World Series, 5-10 Super Bowls, 2 US Opens.

Joe Buck's qualifications are that his last name is Buck. That's why he got the job and that's why he kept the job (by the way, his old man was the most boring play-by-play guy ever, in my opinion). Sure, he's called 2 US Opens and a bunch of World Series, but he's been awful at all of them and hasn't gotten any better. I did laugh that he was "addicted" to hair restoration surgery though. I guess he didn't want to look like his dad. The name was enough.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

From a creature of Habit perspective I missed NBC and Johnny Miller.

I think a lot of people feel that way.

Fox has done a good job with showing the pictures and using some technical things like shot tracer in a much more useful way. In other respects though their production still seems amateurish and the announce crews are atrocious. I wonder if the changes at the top within the USGA since the deal was awarded to Fox in 2013 might mean that they are looking for a way out of the Fox deal. NBC's offer was a few million a year less but would have presented the championship in a much more enjoyable way. With ratings tanking and Mike Davis and Diana Murphy being more friendly with NBC I find myself hoping that there might be a change being pondered.

Other than Joe Buck, who wasn't that bad, the announcers were pretty good especially Faxon. I guess I didn't like Azinger that much either. But the camera work and low angle shots of 2nd shots into greens and the greens themselves were terrific. Can you imagine how good it would be to see the real slopes at Augusta instead of all the high angle shots? I think the other networks need to start showing better angles of the courses, approach shots and greens. Fox is still new at golf, and could use a few tweaks, but I enjoyed it. The course was pretty awesome to see too.