Stricter Dress Code Coming For LPGA

By

Starting on Monday, July 17, the LPGA Tour will enforce a dress code policy that cracks down on athletic wear. In an email directly to Tour players on July 2, LPGA Player President Vicki Goetze-Ackerman outlined a list of items that will no longer be allowed. The email was marked as "important" and had a subject line that read, "Updated Policy to begin in Toledo." Here's the new dress code as it appeared in the email:

• Racerback with a mock or regular collar are allowed (no collar = no
    racerback)
  • Plunging necklines are NOT allowed.
  • Leggings, unless under a skort or shorts, are NOT allowed
  • Length of skirt, skort, and shorts MUST be long enough to not see your bottom area (even if covered by under shorts) at any time, standing or bent over.
  • Appropriate attire should be worn to pro-am parties. You should be dressing yourself to present a professional image. Unless otherwise told “no,” golf clothes are acceptable. Dressy jeans are allowed, but cut-offs or jeans with holes are NOT allowed.
  • Workout gear and jeans (all colors) NOT allowed inside the ropes
  • Joggers are NOT allowed

The harsh language here -- capitalization of every NOT; dated phrases like "plunging necklines" and "bottom area" -- begs the question: Who on the LPGA Tour began dressing offensive enough to drive the implementation of this new policy?

Goetze-Ackerman went on to explain that it's an LPGA Tour player's "job" to notify her clothing sponsors of this new policy, and that "penalties for violating the dress code will be a $1,000 and it will double with each offense."

When we asked the LPGA to comment, Heather Daly-Donofrio, the tour's chief communications and tour operations officer, offered the following statement: "The dress code requires players to present themselves in a professional manner to reflect a positive image for the game. While we typically evaluate our policies at the end of the year, based on input from our players, we recently made some minor adjustments to the policy to address some changing fashion trends. The specifics of the policy have been shared directly with the members."

In an era when Instagram "golf babes" are dressing more provocative than ever and consequently attracting more attention and sponsorships than many professional golfers do, perhaps the LPGA Tour is trying to set an entirely different tone in an effort to command respect and separate itself as a highly different, more professional product. Even so, why take away a golfer's freedom to feel like an athlete in joggers? Or leggings? Or racerback tops? These pieces of clothing can look highly polished when worn correctly, so why not encourage a more professional look instead of banning such pieces altogether?

GettyImages-647674206.jpg

Ross Kinnaird

Earlier this year, we commended the LPGA Tour for modernizing what qualifies as appropriate golf apparel. We used Michelle Wie as an example of a golfer who looks more like an athlete than most golfers ever have, and we applauded the LPGA Tour for allowing that. Wie had been wearing collarless, sleeveless racerback tops almost exclusively all year, and why is there anything wrong with that?

GettyImages-805727710.jpg

Traci Edwards/PGA of America

Lately, however, Wie has been wearing sun sleeves to cover up her arms, most likely in an effort to appease those who are offended by her bare shoulders. And going forward, she and her LPGA Tour colleagues might have to be careful about the length of their skirts should they want to avoid those significant fines.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People (mostly non-LPGA fans I am guessing) are going to get triggered by this but I think it makes sense. Showing a little more skin is not going to affect the LPGA's bottom line. Let's face it. At the end of the day people tune in for the golf and competition. Might as well strive for some professionalism in their dress, like the men's game. Some of the LPGA players look quite casual at times, I have noticed. Michelle really does look like she's been borrowing from her gym clothes drawer this year.

Traci Edwards/PGA of America

Lately, however, Wie has been wearing sun sleeves to cover up her arms, most likely in an effort to appease those who are offended by her bare shoulders. And going forward, she and her LPGA Tour colleagues might have to be careful about the length of their skirts should they want to avoid those significant fines.

Is it still 1950..offended by bare shoulders..It`s as bad as the men not being able to wear shorts.I understand the idea, but what about comfort and keeping cool out there?

It seems like a completely unnecessary move to me.

I'm probably classed as a casual viewer of LPGA golf, I'll watch it if it is on, but I rarely go out of my way to catch it. Never watched it and thought that the clothing the ladies are wearing is inappropriate.

The whole tone of the message seems so condescending as well. Captialising every use of the word not makes it sound like a bunch of people in their 50's telling a bunch of people in the 20's what they can do.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Bah. I haven't seen anything that would offend more than 2% of fans. Well, maybe the ill-fitting, baggy shorts that many players wear. I've seen better dressed players at the local muni.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

To me issue they should be addressing are the golfers that have so many sponsor names on their shirt and hat that they look more like a NASCAR driver than a LPGA golfer. The only item on the list that I think needed to be done is about the leggings. Leggings are not pants. They are a clothing item that are worn under shorts or skirts.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Message makes it seems like there are so many gross violations of this rule. The players can read... Why the need to put in all caps the NOT. ? Seems pretty unprofessional to me.

I would guess it's because the LPGA tour is highly international, as well as young. Many of the players are not even old enough to rent their own car.

Bah. I haven't seen anything that would offend more than 2% of fans. Well, maybe the ill-fitting, baggy shorts that many players wear. I've seen better dressed players at the local muni.

Maybe it's not about being offensive, but rather about establishing a certain standard. I.e. I don't think the PGA TOUR prohibits shorts for the reason that they offend anyone.

To me issue they should be addressing are the golfers that have so many sponsor names on their shirt and hat that they look more like a NASCAR driver than a LPGA golfer. The only item on the list that I think needed to be done is about the leggings. Leggings are not pants. They are a clothing item that are worn under shorts or skirts.

I don't recall seeing a single player ever wear leggings that weren't under a skort or shorts. Are they talking about knee high stockings? They're extremely rare on the LPGA.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I don't recall seeing a single player ever wear leggings that weren't under a skort or shorts. Are they talking about knee high stockings? They're extremely rare on the LPGA.

On TV, we do not see every golfer so there might be some that are wearing leggings as pants. Remember the United Airlines incident were they would not let the three teenagers board because they were wearing leggings with nothing over them. I see that more and more in public where leggings are being worn as if they are pants. The LPGA execs might have seen enough instances were they felt the golfers needed to be reminded.

Overall I like that many of the golfers are trying to be fashionable rather than going with the standard non-descript golf shirt and golf pants / shorts route.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Boas? Ears?

165489_172931_3852.jpg206075_709876_3852.jpg

My question is - What is the LPGA afraid of? There must be something the LPGA 'authorities' are concerned about with how some tour players dress - what is it? Since many LPGA tour players are easily recognized in public away from tour stops, will the LPGA mandate a dress code policy for tour players anywhere in public so-as to present themselves in a professional manner to reflect a positive image for the game?

I'm betting some of the people at the LPGA responsible for this dress code policy are related to the people in the 1950s that complained about Elvis Presley's gyrating hips...

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

On TV, we do not see every golfer so there might be some that are wearing leggings as pants. Remember the United Airlines incident were they would not let the three teenagers board because they were wearing leggings with nothing over them. I see that more and more in public where leggings are being worn as if they are pants. The LPGA execs might have seen enough instances were they felt the golfers needed to be reminded.

Overall I like that many of the golfers are trying to be fashionable rather than going with the standard non-descript golf shirt and golf pants / shorts route.

Are talking about leggings or yoga pants (e.g. Lululemon type)? In my area that's all the young women wear 90% of the time in public.

I do agree some dress policy needs to be put in place, not because the clothing is offensive, but not really "proper" golf attire. Most daily fee courses I play at wouldn't allow gym clothes on the course, and even one public course in my area has the same dress policy for their range if you're only there to practice.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

• Players will be required to submit to the "bottom area" test on the 1st tee. Players failing the test will be sent to the principal's office

image_readtop_2016_505312_14684734782546537.jpg

Seems like a reasonable policy to me.

I completely agree but it still seems unneeded. i am a very conservative person for my age (37) but i dont think i have seen anything as racey as what venus williams wears regularly.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

To be fair, the "athletic wear" you see ladies wearing on the golf course looks pretty presentable, as compared to if you let guys do it we'd look like a bunch of dolts in t shirts and gym shorts.

I'm not going to get into the whole "showing skin" thing because I don't think that's a big part of the LPGA's marketability (unlike tennis where it's huge). My point is that when I tune into LPGA events and see the athletic wear I think it looks pretty professional, I would argue more professional than the shorts past the knee/untucked polo shirts everyone was wearing at the senior LPGA (which was fine, but since it's being brought up we might as well compare) so I'm not sure what this rule is trying to achieve.

Are talking about leggings or yoga pants (e.g. Lululemon type)? In my area that's all the young women wear 90% of the time in public.

I do agree some dress policy needs to be put in place, not because the clothing is offensive, but not really "proper" golf attire. Most daily fee courses I play at wouldn't allow gym clothes on the course, and even one public course in my area has the same dress policy for their range if you're only there to practice.

I guess for someone of my age, they are one of the same. It does not matter what you call them, they are inappropriate in public without something over them.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Too much ankle?

511692754.jpg

It seems like there are always one or two people that push the envelope of common sense that cause these knee jerk reactions to the rules. I have seen this many times at my work in terms of enforcing dress codes.

Throw in the fact that equipment/apparel sponsors are trying to push the envelope in terms of getting their product noticed and you could have some issues I suppose. I do think they should encourage more of a modern athletic look, so they appeal to the younger athletic crowd, and of course a little sex appeal never hurts, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Seems like they want to go back to this.

http://www.scottishg...-fashion-pages/

As usual nowadays, trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

At work we get occasional reminder emails about appropriate dress for the office. They send it to everyone rather than pointing out the few violators of the dress code. Probably the same situation here.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Here's my take: a slight course correction is not the end of the world. In the tournament prior to the US Open, Jaye Marie Green was wearing what appeared to be to be volleyball shorts and a tee shirt. Amy Yang wears yoga pants/ tights. The length of some of the player's shorts is, TBH, really short. Apparently things have loosened up at the pro-am parties also.

LPGA wants to keep a good thing going. Young girls will push it (most dads will tell you this:) unless they get a reality check. So the LPGA felt it was time to tighten it up. I have no problem with it. They have a tour board and player input governance model.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

Here's my take: a slight course correction is not the end of the world. In the tournament prior to the US Open, Jaye Marie Green was wearing what appeared to be to be volleyball shorts and a tee shirt. Amy Yang wears yoga pants/ tights. The length of some of the player's shorts is, TBH, really short. Apparently things have loosened up at the pro-am parties also.

LPGA wants to keep a good thing going. Young girls will push it (most dads will tell you this:) unless they get a reality check. So the LPGA felt it was time to tighten it up. I have no problem with it. They have a tour board and player input governance model.

Nice user name. I binge watched Californication in a week.

http://www.golfwrx.com/406976/917-vs-915-results-from-the-ultimate-titleist-driver-fitting-experience/

I think this has less to do with clothing being too revealing; instead attempting to specify the blurry line between athletic and golf wear. The current acceptable dress code for golf prohibits athletic clothing. This defines some popular clothing as athletic wear, which had already been determined as inappropriate for a professional golfer.