PXG sues Taylor Made

mizuno player

Here's a question for our legal beagles:

If the lawsuit is dropped by Parsons or the court finds that no patent infringment exists or could have existed, does TM have a countersuit to pursue or at least make Parsons responsible for fees incurred?

If so then this could be one of the most expensive legal follies of the golf business.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the lawsuit is dropped by Parsons or the court finds that no patent infringment exists or could have existed, does TM have a countersuit to pursue or at least make Parsons responsible for fees incurred?

If so then this could be one of the most expensive legal follies of the golf business.

yep, you can sue anyone for anything.............no guarantee you'll win and maybe get hammered in costs but the only winners are the lawyers!

Will this lawsuit, win or lose, hurt PXG in sales ? Customer perception ?

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons - Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon[/font][/size]

Yes, TM can sue for legal fees but they'd have to prove the initial lawsuit was frivolous or filed only to impede the sales of their product. Given PXG has patents I doubt a judge would rule in favor of TM. Also TM would be smacking the hornets nest by initiating more litigation. If PXG drops the suit, TM should consider it a win and the legal fees the cost of doing business.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Yes, TM can sue for legal fees but they'd have to prove the initial lawsuit was frivolous or filed only to impede the sales of their product. Given PXG has patents I doubt a judge would rule in favor of TM. Also TM would be smacking the hornets nest by initiating more litigation. If PXG drops the suit, TM should consider it a win and the legal fees the cost of doing business.

Unless the parents are also thrown out , in which case TM should go for the throat and make parsons pay for a new R and D center. Right ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Unless the parents are also thrown out , in which case TM should go for the throat and make parsons pay for a new R and D center. Right ?

What's his Mom and Dad got to do with anything!!

If the article is accurate then the case will be a game of chicken on who is willing to spend the most on legal fees to win.

Seems like the only winner here will be the attorneys.

Yep, they woke up one day and said... "Man I wish someone would give me a pile of headache and crap to deal with" and their prayers were all answered by the PXG fairy godmother and they lived happily ever after.

All kidding aside they are probably not going to mind the fees they collect one bit... of course when you think about it... why should they?

Yes...and this will drag on longer than an 18 hole round at your local muni over the weekend.

I agree. BP's parents should step in and put an end to this nonsense. First, he gets away with squatting and front running domain names, and now this.

The attorneys fees will require a price increase I'm sure. The new, higher priced irons will be referred to as Ultra, Ultra Premium Sexy Military Grade.

The new slogan can be 'you meet a better class of people in the courtroom'.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

I don't think so.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I don't think so.

But isn’t a win by Taylormade like Toto pulling back the curtain on the wizard of Oz?

Eh maybe maybe not. I just don't think that PXG customers or those that are strongly considering PXG are likely to be swayed by the way this goes. If you like PXG or TM I don't see this case changing that one way or the other.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I agree. BP's parents should step in and put an end to this nonsense. First, he gets away with squatting and front running domain names, and now this.

The attorneys fees will require a price increase I'm sure. The new, higher priced irons will be referred to as Ultra, Ultra Premium Sexy Military Grade.

The new slogan can be 'you meet a better class of people in the courtroom'.

A bunch of wild and crazy guys here. Lol Patents I meant to type patents ! Stupid phone. It's always inserting its own personal agenda .

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Taylormade filed a 603 page response (the lawyers must have loved that!).

In part, TM said: “…[A]lthough PXG peppers its brief with unsupported accusations of supposed copying by TaylorMade, there is zero evidence of copying. None. The accused product is so different from the patented invention that if, contrary to the facts, there had been any effort to copy, the effort failed miserably.” TaylorMade’s lawyers cite a company patent for an iron with “an enclosed cavity” and “a filler material” that was applied for initially in 2009 and issued in early 2012. (The PXG patents in question were granted between February 2015 and June 2017.)

In part, TM said: “…[A]lthough PXG peppers its brief with unsupported accusations of supposed copying by TaylorMade, there is zero evidence of copying. None. The accused product is so different from the patented invention that if, contrary to the facts, there had been any effort to copy, the effort failed miserably.” TaylorMade’s lawyers cite a company patent for an iron with “an enclosed cavity” and “a filler material” that was applied for initially in 2009 and issued in early 2012. (The PXG patents in question were granted between February 2015 and June 2017.)

It would be hilarious if in the end of all this TM proves in court that not only did it not copy PXG, but that in reality it was actually the other way around and then sue PXG over it lol.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

It would be hilarious if in the end of all this TM proves in court that not only did it not copy PXG, but that in reality it was actually the other way around and then sue PXG over it lol.

Well, this is shaping up to be a comedy of sorts. :-)

Well to add to the comedy of this battle......seems like the sales of TM 790 is going off the roof. Perhaps PXG unintentionally became the biggest endorser of TM's irons.

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons - Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon[/font][/size]

Well to add to the comedy of this battle......seems like the sales of TM 790 is going off the roof. Perhaps PXG unintentionally became the biggest endorser of TM's irons.

That is precisely what is happening - there is no way that PXG sales are currently as high as they would have been if Parsons had taken a different approach by saying that his irons were still unique.

I played with a guy at the weekend who had just bought the new PXG driving iron - I pulled out my Rapture driving iron on the same hole and we just laughed, as the PXG has clearly taken most of that design and just made the sole a little narrower.

This may just be a coincidence but the PXG secondary market has taken a beating in recent months. I just sold my second set of PXG irons and they went for far less than my first set, which was in worse condition than the second set. I paid wholesale and still lost my butt. These things are going from Ferrari to Rolls Royce, considering how they lose their value.

It probably has nothing to do with the release of the 790 but still very interesting timing.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Thanks hot rod - I learned to read as a child and have a basic ability to use internet search. As a resident of a democracy I chose to make a new post, intending humour. I'm sure there's a thread about that if you look hard enough. Hugs x

Well, since I couldn't really figure out what your were trying to say in your OP, I simply tried to guide you to a thread where people speak in complete sentences.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime