2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PXG sues Taylor Made

mizuno player

^^ How does IP get classified as being in the Public domain and no longer be IP??

By definition-

Intellectual Property is defined as - a work or invention that is the result of creativity, such as a manuscript or a design, to which one has rights and for which one may apply for a patent, copyright, trademark, etc

Once it becomes part of the public domain it no longer meets the criteria of the second half of the definition as no one has rights to it and no one can apply for a patent, etc. Essentially it loses the ownership characteristic.

Or were you asking by what process does it stop being IP? If that was the question then the answer is it is no longer patent-able through an original application or renewal due to the time limitations regarding how long a patent may remain valid.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to thread jack but does anyone know if you can use the PXG shaft adapter with Ping woods?

That's awesome..... I still play Anser fairway woods and anyone that doesn't think PXG ripped them off is smoking weed :)

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

LOL.........man, that is a pretty broad category since it can include thermoplastics, thermosets, elastomers and synthetic fibers. Chances are PXG doesn't even own the material; most likely it is a products of DuPont, 3M, Dow, BASF, etc.

Yeah just about. If you factor in the total deformation of the face of an iron (very small), the number of polymers that will remain in the elastic deformation regime is huge.

Sorry to thread jack but does anyone know if you can use the PXG shaft adapter with Ping woods?

That's awesome..... I still play Anser fairway woods and anyone that doesn't think PXG ripped them off is smoking weed :)

Could be a rip-off but maybe PXG paid a fee to Ping and have rights to use their adapter design. Trying to design a new adapter that didn't violate other OEM technology may have been a expensive project.

If I was Parsons I would have tried to purchase the Nike Flex-Loft system.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

Could be a rip-off but maybe PXG paid a fee to Ping and have rights to use their adapter design. Trying to design a new adapter that didn't violate other OEM technology may have been a expensive project.

The PXG Woods mirror the Ping Anser line - minus the screws. Not a surprise since Bob Parsons hired Ping Engineers Brad Schweigert and Mike Nicolette

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

PXG "spares no expense" supposedly so the added cost of designing their own adapter should have not been an issue.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

^^ How does IP get classified as being in the Public domain and no longer be IP??

By definition-

Intellectual Property is defined as - a work or invention that is the result of creativity, such as a manuscript or a design, to which one has rights and for which one may apply for a patent, copyright, trademark, etc

Once it becomes part of the public domain it no longer meets the criteria of the second half of the definition as no one has rights to it and no one can apply for a patent, etc. Essentially it loses the ownership characteristic.

Or were you asking by what process does it stop being IP? If that was the question then the answer is it is no longer patent-able through an original application or renewal due to the time limitations regarding how long a patent may remain valid.

Thanks for the info, The second part of your answer is what I was trying to ask. How does something go from being IP to being Public Domain and no longer patentable. :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

It's not the look or the fact that TM pushed "speedfoam" into a hollow iron.

Glad I did not believe that was the issue.

The IP in question is what the speed foam is made of. Parson's is claiming TM stole the secret in the sauce and copied his recipe.

Even if that were the case, which I don't read it to be in his complaint, TPE is not his creation, and is likely sourced from a very major supplier. So, the judgement should be pretty easy if he is seeking to claim TM stole "his" recipe. When TM says, "Parsons sourced it from X vendor, who we tested with, and that formula is well known and already used for Y."

(I have not read the entire thread so apologies if the following has already been brought up)

IMO, thanks to Parsons, this lawsuit will help increase sales for Taylormade. By filing this, Parsons is essentially admitting the P-790s are as good as his PXGs. Golfers will see this and want to buy the P-790s for half the price of the PXGs.

He would have been better served to keep his ego out of this and concentrate on his PXG brand.

He's not admitting anything, he's accusing TM of stealing his IP. When golf club manufacturers sue clone companies are they admitting the cheap Chinese knockoffs are as good as their clubs?

I agree he's accusing TM of stealing his IP. I also think he's seen the side-by-side comparison tests and has determined the P-790s are equal/near-equal in performance to his irons. Because of that, the P-790s pose a threat to his business and he's determined it is worth the time and large amount of money to file a lawsuit. If the performance numbers didn't compare, instead of filing a costly lawsuit, he'd spend his money on advertising - detailing the advantages of the PXGs over the P-790s.

You mention manufacturers sue clone Chinese knockoff companies. I'm not aware of that. I would think it would not be worth it to them. Do you have some examples of this?

Google is your friend;

http://golf-patents.com/clone-golf-club-patent-infringement-litigation-callaway-cracks-the-whip-on-the-clones/

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Can intellectual property (IP) be "stolen" when the IP was already in the public domain, but did not originate with the plaintiff? Serious question.

People keep talking about IP and it's not what people think. It's not the look or the fact that TM pushed "speedfoam" into a hollow iron. The IP in question is what the speed foam is made of. Parson's is claiming TM stole the secret in the sauce and copied his recipe.

That's completely wrong and not what PXG is claiming.

Then what are they claiming. I've asked what is unique to pxg and heard crickets.

They are claiming infringement of certain of their patents. See https://www.scribd.com/document/358808739/PXG-vs-TaylorMade-Full-suit-filing.

It does not appear that the claims of any of the patents currently asserted identify a specific compound or "secret sauce" injected into PXG clubs. The claims simply refer to an "elastic polymer material" (e.g., PXG's TPE), but they do not claim a specific chemical makeup. The claims of the patents relate to the design of a hollow clubhead, injected with an "elastic polymer," having various weight configurations as described in the claims.

There will be a giant fight as to what "elastic polymer material" means and whether TM's speedfoam is such a material.

If that's it then parsons will lose. There have been a bakers dozen hollow injected irons built already. He didnt invent that at all. Should be entertaining.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It’s going to come down to the elastic polymer vs speed foam. But It’s most likely a money grab by Parsons before Adidas unloads TM.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

It's going to come down to the elastic polymer vs speed foam. But It's most likely a money grab by Parsons before Adidas unloads TM.

I might well be wrong... but it may also be that he is just not as smart as he thinks he is.

Oh I think that’s entirely part of the equation. Just watch his commercials featuring himself. They are a complete joke

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

This thread is a huge disappointment

Nothing but bitterness, envy and arrogance

Too bad

Interesting topic and implications

I've no reason to be bitter or envious (if I'm honest, arrogance is an occasional issue) but the PXG guy and his commercials ARE a joke and it escapes me how anyone could see them and take the brand seriously. I mean, c'mon.

Too bad

I am sure that there is bias on both sides. I honestly find it incredible however, that anyone who has read this thread well can reasonably believe that bitterness, envy and arrogance are the reasons why many do not see the merit of the PXG lawsuit. There has been a great deal of objectivity in the discussion of the law suit. From my observation, unfortunately a good deal of that discussion has been treated dismissively by some PXG fans. Additionally, IMHO, repetitively trying to denigrate alternative view points and those who have them, adds little to the discussion. As for BP himself... as has been pointed out... there are reasons he is admired by some and not admired by others.... most of these have very little if anything to do with success or money.

Too bad

Again I ask. What are the interesting implications ?

What are the glaring things that aren't apparent to the non pxg iron user ?

I can't even get a square answer on what the lawsuit is about. Does parsons claim that the goo formula has been copied ? Surely he doesn't think he invented hollow irons. Or perimeter weighting ? Maybe he thinks the 790 shouldn't look like a pseudo MB. ? Or did he invent the satin finish ? Maybe it's the amount of offset ?

Lol. Come on. Nobody here is jealous of pxg irons. Most of us have owned more expensive putters than that , much less irons. Nobody hates parsons because he's rich. We're all golf fans. And all the pro star golfers are rich. So that shoots that theory in the foot.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It's going to come down to the elastic polymer vs speed foam. But It's most likely a money grab by Parsons before Adidas unloads TM.

I might well be wrong... but it may also be that he is just not as smart as he thinks he is.

Oh I think that’s entirely part of the equation. Just watch his commercials featuring himself. They are a complete joke

I forced myself to listen to a very long interview with him on sirius and pretty much cemented who he was in my mind. Nothing more than an egomaniac and a hype machine, facts be damned.

Very surprised PXG feels they own the technology of a hollow iron with polymer inside. The only PXG feature that seems somewhat unique is the 1.5mm thin face which is thinner than what most others use, plus they use a bonding agent on the face so the internal polymer sticks to it. The other patent infringement claims focus on weight locations and I seriously doubt PXG has broke any new ground in that regard.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Too bad

What a completely wrong opinion of what is going on in this thread. Thanks for your knee jerk reaction though.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

I usually tune out when he starts talking, has he always said "no one makes clubs like we do" at the end or is that relatively new?

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

Too bad

What a completely wrong opinion of what is going on in this thread. Thanks for your knee jerk reaction though.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Who knows, but TM must have used PXG as inspiration for this new line. This happens a lot though. As soon as one manufacturer has a hot product others start scrambling to get their piece of the pie. PXG may have no chance with this suit, but I don't blame them for trying to protect what they have done.

Almost every design is regurgitated, there is only so much you can do.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Have you ever noticed when McDonald's builds a fast-food restaurant on a previously empty intersection, within a year or so there's a Wendy's and a Sonic built within 500 yards?

Same with convenience stores. Lots of places with zero convenience stores, lots of places with 3-4 convenience stores, almost nowhere is there a single convenience store without another one within 1/4 mile or so.

Have you ever noticed when McDonald's builds a fast-food restaurant on a previously empty intersection, within a year or so there's a Wendy's and a Sonic built within 500 yards?

Same with convenience stores. Lots of places with zero convenience stores, lots of places with 3-4 convenience stores, almost nowhere is there a single convenience store without another one within 1/4 mile or so.

I never understood how that worked. I figured McDonald's patented the idea for a fast food hamburger, and would simply squash all these copycats!

Hello nail, meet head

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Wilson should sue everyone who promotes a hot face iron. The Reflex came out ages ago.

you can only sue if you're relevant.

have yet to see anyone clamoring for Reflex irons.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”