2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Open @ Carnoustie (NO POLITICS)

Ralphyboy84

I'm there Tuesday, really looking forward to it, should be a lot better than the Wednesday Practice day at Birkdale last year, bad weather forecast so barely anyone played.

This year should be very different

Yeah that's why we go Tuesday's, most of the guys will be there out and about somewhere on the course of the range. Best chance to see all the guys you want to see. Had to get there real early at Muirfield to try see Tiger, managed to catch up with him about the 6th/7th and watched for a few holes. Won't be there that early this year tho as the travel is further for us.

Yeah we ended up just sat there at the range, it gets a bit boring though after an hour or two, mainly followed Garcia and Rahm, but so did about a thousand other people as they were the main guys out.

Been told before Tuesday is the best day so fingers crossed

Ping G430 LST 9*

Ping G410 3W 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Mizuno pro 225 5-PW

Mizuno T24 copper 50/54/58

SIK FLO C 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm there Tuesday, really looking forward to it, should be a lot better than the Wednesday Practice day at Birkdale last year, bad weather forecast so barely anyone played.

Yeah that's why we go Tuesday's, most of the guys will be there out and about somewhere on the course of the range. Best chance to see all the guys you want to see. Had to get there real early at Muirfield to try see Tiger, managed to catch up with him about the 6th/7th and watched for a few holes. Won't be there that early this year tho as the travel is further for us.

Yeah we ended up just sat there at the range, it gets a bit boring though after an hour or two, mainly followed Garcia and Rahm, but so did about a thousand other people as they were the main guys out.

Yeah that's why we don't go to the main days, as the wife can't see if there is a big crowd following. So we usually end up following a lesser group which is fine but sometimes you want to see the best guys there especially at a major.

Enjoy your day out, I've got Gullane on Friday first to wet the apatite for next week.

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

Yeah that's why we don't go to the main days, as the wife can't see if there is a big crowd following. So we usually end up following a lesser group which is fine but sometimes you want to see the best guys there especially at a major.

Enjoy your day out, I've got Gullane on Friday first to wet the apatite for next week.

Oh have you, should be good, and no where near as busy as the Open, definitely a place id like to play in the future as well, looks really nice

Ping G430 LST 9*

Ping G410 3W 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Mizuno pro 225 5-PW

SIK FLO C 

Oh have you, should be good, and no where near as busy as the Open, definitely a place id like to play in the future as well, looks really nice

Yeah Gullane is a great place to play. I managed to play the composite course in 2015 after the scottish open. Great experience just unfortunately my game wasn't there. But all 3 courses at Gullane are great fun to play if you get the chance.

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

Who ever can think their way around this course best, will win. I would be very surprised if Tiger isn't in contention.

Also ask yourself this, I was just thinking (and dont really have an answer), who are the smartest to ever play the game?

Edit: not talking Dechambeau smart, strategically smart.

Who ever can think their way around this course best, will win. I would be very surprised if Tiger isn't in contention.

Also ask yourself this, I was just thinking (and dont really have an answer), who are the smartest to ever play the game?

Hitting it OB in the final round at the API wasn't strategically smart, he doesn't have the same "golf" tool box he once did. I'm certain there has to be some mental demons.

It would be a great spectacle to see him seriously contend down the stretch, I'm yet to be fully convinced we'll see that next week.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Ben Hogan, there was a story about him not putting a 7 iron in his bag for a tournament, someone asked him why, he responded along the lines of "there are no 7 iron shots on this course"

If you know that before you even tee off, then you know exactly where you want to hit every shot on every hole (and will actually hit them shots as well)

Which turns out to be quite apt for the thread

Ping G430 LST 9*

Ping G410 3W 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Mizuno pro 225 5-PW

SIK FLO C 

I'll be at Carnoustie for Sunday's round. Then in St Andrews Monday/Tuesday to see practice rounds for the Senior Open.

Any advice for a first-time visitor to Carnoustie / The Open? Great viewing locations? Things not to miss?

For me, Carnoustie is much better as a spectator than the Old Course. At the Old Course you are stuck on the outside constantly and it has hard to see the greens because the ropes are so far away. Also as it is pretty much goes all the way out from the 1st to 7th before the loop and then coming all the way back on 12th to 18th it is hard to get caught up on too much.

Carnoustie is much more self contained. The 8th and 9th are the furthest out the Championship course goes and it still surprises me how close you are to the hotel. If you can, get behind the 6th tee. It is really cool to see how the Pro's take that shot on.

Thanks so much for the reply, very much looking forward to the Championship. Cheers.

Yup won't be able to get behind the 6th tee. There's a lot of really good grandstands though that cover a few holes. There's one behind the 3rd tee that also shows you the 5th green and 6th tee. There's a good one on the 8th that shows approach shots into 7, all of 8 and tee shots on 13. Then there's one on 13 that lets you see the 12th and 13th green.

In my opinion it's a great course for spectating on

Thanks for the information. I'll be sure to check out all of those locations. Cheers.

I am watching the Irish Open, and that course is proving to be quite a test, and the weather is perfect today...sunshine, hardly any wind. I can't imagine what Carnoustie will be like.

Very demanding off the tee but if its dry alot of driving irons off the tees will neutralize some of the danger. I actually think it plays tougher wet

Unless there is a big change the course will be very dry. Watching the Scottish Open right now reminds me of Hoylake in '06 and then there is this as well........

https://news.sky.com/story/archaeological-sites-revealed-by-uks-parched-landscape-11434124

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

I don't find it painful but it does leave me baffled and bemused. For the life of me I continually struggle to understand why at some point he didn't think stop!! Work out a strategy to win and then commit.

I watched that and found myself wondering what Craig Parry made of it all. Was he silently watching thinking don't, just don't.

I'm there on the Saturday with my son and grandson. Looking forward to the whole thing.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

going to be an epic championship

I'm calling DJ early

Cally AIS TD Max 10.5* Ventus Black 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 16* Ventus Red 6x

Callaway GBB Hvnwd 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

Other than that hack Lawrie, course seems to favor the best player of that time, over several eras.

The Open Championship

2007 – Padraig Harrington.

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

Are you serious? Calling him a hack?

Hes won 8 times in Europe

2 Ryder Cups

And i happen to know him personally!

Other than that hack Lawrie, course seems to favor the best player of that time, over several eras.

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

2 Ryder Cups

Lawrie was certainly no hack, a very solid euro tour player, not well known in the US because he didn’t play here much. However the cream didn’t exactly rise to the top that year with JVV almost winning. Justin Leonard was in the playoff as well.

The course was set up so difficult that year that a lot of luck was involved and pure skill wasn’t rewarded. JVV was playing out of his mind n some sort of sublime state, for 71 holes, but then the magnitude of the situation smacked him in the face on the 72nd tee.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Which Open? Oh, you mean the British Open! Nice pics. Thanks.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

Question : if the course destroys the field and scores are over par. Will the R&A take the same heat as the USGA did at Shinnecock?

Or will it be “those Brits sure understand the game and the elements?”

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

2 Ryder Cups

Lawrie was certainly no hack, a very solid euro tour player, not well known in the US because he didn’t play here much. However the cream didn’t exactly rise to the top that year with JVV almost winning. Justin Leonard was in the playoff as well.

The course was set up so difficult that year that a lot of luck was involved and pure skill wasn’t rewarded. JVV was playing out of his mind n some sort of sublime state, for 71 holes, but then the magnitude of the situation smacked him in the face on the 72nd tee.

Im not sure you can say the cream didnt rise to the top?? Cabrera, Norman, Davis Love and Tiger Woods were all in the top 7??

Question : if the course destroys the field and scores are over par. Will the R&A take the same heat as the USGA did at Shinnecock?

Or will it be “those Brits sure understand the game and the elements?”

The R&A no longer allows the green keepers at the home course or themselves to do much to the course except for watering the greens for high wind reasons. Actually they take the course as it is compared to the USGA. Though they call it The Open which I say is arrogant, mostly in jest, they do a fine job by being minimalists. USGA get a CLUE!

4W Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

8,9 Eleven 

Was in Carnoustie this afternoon - security is in place for the course so couldnt get a look around but I can report it was 26 celsius with a warm 20mph wind off the west. Fairways will be baking.

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

Was in Carnoustie this afternoon - security is in place for the course so couldnt get a look around but I can report it was 26 celsius with a warm 20mph wind off the west. Fairways will be baking.

Already are extremely firm and fast. One of my players hit 4 drivers over 400 today, a 4 iron 310 and a 5 iron 302.

Already are extremely firm and fast. One of my players hit 4 drivers over 400 today, a 4 iron 310 and a 5 iron 302.

Do you think they will water greens during the Open?

4W Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

8,9 Eleven 

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

2 Ryder Cups

Lets not forget about what happened to padraig harrington and andres romero on that same hole 8 years later.