Best Wedge Shafts

ethanshapiro

I don't think golfers consider the importance of wedge shafts enough. I play a TON of competitive/tournament golf and I have only seen two other people with wedge shafts that aren't stock shafts and I find that very odd considering the number of upcharge shafts I see in drivers, 3 woods, driving irons, etc. A guy I know who is trying to get his card says that 80% of how well a wedge performs is due to how well the shaft fits, and I agree. What wedge shafts do you all play? Looking for some ideas to try out for myself. Fire away.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think wedge shafts are more preference than anything else. I highly doubt there are specific metrics fitters look for to decide on a wedge shaft.

My driver swing speed averages around 117 on the course. I play an x-stiff hzdurs in my driver, x-stiff Tour AD in the 3 wood. Then in my irons I have project X 6.5 in 3-iron through 8 iron with 6.0s in my 9 and PW.

Then in my 50, 56, and 60 degree wedges I have dynamic gold wedge shafts.

Previously I had the same shafts in all my irons but I have found that I like a softer and easier loading shafts in my 9 and wedges because I rarely take full swings or swing hard with those clubs.

I tried a DG spinner in another 60 degree and it hasn’t worked well but it may be the club head (I can’t tell why I hate the club).

Shafts are fit to one swing and with the variety of swings taken w a wedge, my personal opinion is it’s best to stick to a similar profile and weight to your irons-just from a feel perspective. I play x100 in my irons and s400 in my gap and lob wedges. I can still make a full swing and have enough response 40 yards and in. I’ve had a kbs hi rev in a lob before and it just spun too much on full shots and I felt like I was working too hard to get distance. Those 40yard shots I could spin like crazy, I loved it, but not enough to sacrifice my full shot. What works best for you is just that..depends on your swing and how you want to use your wedges.

Feel is so subjective. I have played KBS's in the past in all my wedges. Last year, i put TI S400's in my RTX 3 wedges.

This year, as part of my fitting at TXG, It was recommended that i move to TI X100's in my wedges (given my swing profile).

I could not be happier with the X100's that i have now. I am still able to spin the ball alot but the ball flight on full shots is much better than S400's

I went to X100 8 Iron shafts for 50/56 and then a DG Spinner in my 59. I think the X100 8 iron shafts provide that slightly softer feel in wedges for half swings but are similar to my iron shafts and the Spinner for me helps provide some crazy high spin on pitches (paired with right technique of course)

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

I'm a project x guy, have 6.5 straight in on PW and GW. Best since those are full shot clubs. I have 7.0 8 iron shafts tipped 3/8th on both SW and LW. Great for full shots, but helps me control 3/4 shots or less. I can flight it high or low and different amounts of spin.

Taylormade M1 440 Tour Issue 9.5 Matrix Ozik Black Tie 7m3 x-flex 44.50
Taylormade Jetspeed Tour Issue 3HL 17 Aldila Ripd NV 85 Tour X
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 iron Kuro Kage Tour Proto 100x
Titleist 716 AP2 4-9 iron bent 2 up and 1 degree weak Project X 6.5 plus 5 gram lead tape on back of shaft
Titleist Vokey SM6 46F and 50F bent 2 up and 1 degree weak Project X 6.5 plus 5 gram lead tape on back of shaft
Titleist Vokey SM6 54S and 58L bent 2.5 up and 1 degree weak Project X 7.0 8 iron shaft tipped 3/8th
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 33in

I’m back to X100s when I was using KBS 610s for a while.

My swing has changed. I’m now lower launching/spin so I need a little extra. Also I prefer the linear pattern verses the stiff mid

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I have used X100s, PX6.5 and C-Taper for my irons in the past and every time I softened the flex with S400, PX6.0, etc for the wedges I lost consistency and accuracy on 1/2 & 3/4 wedges. Hardest part of fitting wedges as a lefty are only wedge flex and a few lofts. That grind may actually work if the shaft wasn't all wrong for you!

There's also a school of thought that if you have a lot of speed that keeping the flex up, but using a slightly lighter shaft can work too.

I've been using the Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge shaft in my 56 & 60 the last year or so, as I get the stability from the weight and enough feel that I like. A bunker swing is very different to a tight lie swing, so the weight keeps my tempo steady but the profile helps me stay on target with the release. I'm adding a 52 w/ 125 Wedge, but may have to switch to the same 130X in my irons for full swings, or compromise with the Modus 125X. Can't rave enough about how good the Modus have been for my game. Stiffing 50-60m pitches has allowed me to be more aggressive on short holes.

Hope this helps!

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 18GB, 8GF 45.5"

(testing) Diamana PD 60TX (D5) 18GB, 16GF 45.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i

T20 50.07, T24 54.08D, Callaway Jaws Raw 60.08C, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Callaway Tour X

Have used the KBS 610 shafts for about a year...and not changing them out for anything.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 8* - Tensei White Pro 70TX

Callaway Paradym TD 3 wood (14*) - Kai'Li White 80x (tipped extra 1/2")

Callaway UW 17* - Kai'Li White 90TX

Callaway Mavrik Pro 3 (20*) - Kai'Li White 100TX

Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 5-9 - KBS Tour V 125 S+

Titleist Vokey 46, 50, 55 & 60 - KBS 610

TaylorMade Spider S Platinum Single Bend - KBS CT Tour Matte Black shaft

• 7 months later...

Driver SS - 111, 4i Project X PXi 6.0, 5-LW Project X 6.0 (non flighted). Thinking of going to 5.5 for the LW and possibly SW. Where I notice the biggest change for me is on ability to control spin on chips and pitches. All I can do with stock wedge shafts is high spin. Most of my chips I like to run out, unless I'm forced to carry and obstacle. Much easier to read the green than deal with an unpredictable bounce

Driver(s) - TSR3 Ventus Red 6s and G430 Ventus TR 6x

TSR2 15* Di7s

Sim 2 19* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

Sim2 22* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

I have AWT 2.0 in most of mine as I wanted shafts about 10g heavier than my irons and most wedge shafts seem to be around 130g. I am also experimenting with a stiff 8 iron dynalite gold (118g) soft stepped 4 times in a wedge to see how that plays.

I love my dg spinners. Can’t believe they are discontinued. I haven’t hit the 610 shaft. I love hitting low spinners into greens.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Wedges ???

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

• 3 months later...

I just recently was playing Nippon modus 120s in my wedges.... pure garbage for me... (I play PX 7.0s in my irons) made the switch to PX 6.5 in my wedges. Night and day difference... IMO every should be playing a soft stepped wedge shaft of the shafts they play in their irons... ex. You play KBS 120s, KBS 120s 8 iron shafts in all your wedges...

What do you guys think of this theory?

> @ethanshapiro said:

> I don't think golfers consider the importance of wedge shafts enough. I play a TON of competitive/tournament golf and I have only seen two other people with wedge shafts that aren't stock shafts and I find that very odd considering the number of upcharge shafts I see in drivers, 3 woods, driving irons, etc. A guy I know who is trying to get his card says that 80% of how well a wedge performs is due to how well the shaft fits, and I agree. What wedge shafts do you all play? Looking for some ideas to try out for myself. Fire away.

Not a tourney/scratch player but for me it's much more about weight of the head and shaft combo than it is about profile since most of my swings inside 100 yards are partial shots with much less speed. I've been totally fine using S200 or modus wedge shafts. Anything under 120g though and it starts to get dicey.

Not quite at the same level as you OP, but am an 8 hcp, 107 mph Driver SS and my short game is one of my strengths. Play S400 TI in my irons, DG Wedge in my Wedges and they seem to work really well. Don't hit too many full shots except with my 50 degree, preferring knockdowns within 80 yards, but they tend to do what I ask of them.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @AC168 said:

> Hi rev 2.0 for me but I need all the spin I can get.

Pleasantly surprised by the Hi Rev 2.0. I have the 120 in my 56 Hi-Toe and 115 in my 60 Hi-Toe. Very good shafts for wedges

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Played in many regional events and a low-mid single depending on the time of year. Wedge shafts are not a science but must fit the user's skill and game plan.

I seldom use LW for shots over 70yds so DG-S200, 129 grams at 36" in length gives me the heavier SW "E0" feel I like yet a slightly soft tip for touch shots. My 52* SW at 36" in length at D7 is used for predominately full shots, so it has the same shaft that's in the rest of my irons, 115 gram PX 5.5 "Stiff". That same shaft is in my 2 iron and works mighty fine.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Recently switched to Fujikura MCI 105 Mild wedge shafts and they are fantastic! I switched over from x100 8 irons shafts and these load very similar to those in wedges. I switched to Fuji Pro95 TS shafts in my irons but was a little skeptical for my wedges. Haven't sacrificed any distance or control and has a much smoother feel.

Have recoil Proto 125 irons up to 50 GW and KBS Hi Rev 1.0x 55/60. Not feeling them. I was fitted for Hi-Rev 2.0s in TM Milled Grind in December and I'm now testing the 2.0 115 in Cally PM19's....what I really want is the Recoil Wedge Proto's.

Best wedge shafts ever for me are Crazy Wedge 110, or maybe Accra 110/125.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

I'm using the OG KBS Hi-Rev in my 60* and 56* TM TP XFT heads. My 52* is a TM R-series tour grind with a KBS Tour V wedge shaft. These clubs have been vetted over years, and they work...for me. Wedge shafts, as in all shafts, is subjective based on feel and performance for your swing. Takes some trial and error, no way around it.

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

I have a set of Cobras that came with NS Pro WV 125s in them, I believe they were the precursors to the current Modus 125 wedge shaft. They feel about the same as S200s but maybe a little smoother towards the handle. Don't care much for DG Spinner, felt like it was hard to control the distance on full shots with them. Tried Modus 120x's too, they're ok but fly a bit high. Currently using X100s in a set of Vokey SM6s, I just prefer a heavier shaft in my wedges.

TaylorMade M5

Titleist 917F3 15°
Cobra King F6 Baffler
Cobra King Forged CB 4-P

Cobra King Raw 50 • 54 • 58
Scotty Cameron IBDD
Titleist Pro V1x

> @"Club Guru" said:

> I think wedge shafts are more preference than anything else. I highly doubt there are specific metrics fitters look for to decide on a wedge shaft.

>

I have KBS Tour R-flex shafts (110 grams) in all three of my wedges. Two I ordered that way, a third I had reshafted. These are a bit heavier than the NS Pro 8950GH (97 grams) in earlier Callaway X20 Tour irons, or the KBS Tour 90 (101 grams) in my current irons. But, they work pretty well.

As for what you see at tournaments...

* Many players use wedges from their GI iron sets - rather than specialty wedges. These players likely would use the same shafts in wedges as in their irons.

* Any chance players who had stock shafts in their specialty wedges were more noticeable to you? Could you have overlooked other players?

Do a search through past WRX threads on wedge shafts. You will find a half-dozen shaft prescriptions that assorted sub-grounps say is **the best way to go** on shafts. The shaft plan may be _best for people in that group,_ but not for people in the other five-or-so groups.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I play Project X 6.0 in my 5-Pw as well as my 51* gap wedge. I like to take full shots with the 51*, and like it matched to my iron set. In my wedges, I have hi toe 56* and 60* and rarely take full shots with these two. I prefer to flight my gap wedge. I have two sets of the 56 and 60. One set has Project X LZ 6.0 and the other has KBS $Taper 130. As someone who doesn’t take full shots with either 56 or 60, these shafts give me a slightly softer feel with the same weight I’m looking for, as well as some added spin.

It’s a good thought to match your wedge shafts to your iron shafts if you plan on taking full shots. IE other posters with X100 in all irons/wedges or soft stepping to get the right feel.

TaylorMade Tour Issue QI10 9* Project X Denali Blue 60TX // TaylorMade Tour Issue M6 9* Mitsubishi Diamana BF 60TX

TaylorMade Tour Issue M6 15* Project X EvenFlow Blue 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M3 19* Graphite Design AD DI 7x

Titleist TS2 21* (A1 setting) Graphite Design AD DI 7x // TaylorMade P790 4i Project X LZ 5.5 (hard stepped x2)

TaylorMade P770 5-Pw Project X LZ 6.0 (1*weak)

Titleist SM9 Black 50.08F, 56.10S (Bent to 55.09) & 60.08M TT DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx

Ping PLD Anser 2 34" // TaylorMade Spider X Double Bend 34"

Titleist ProV1 ('21)