2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

I'm a 6 and I'm proud!

Big Ben

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a 5.9 ... I don't associate myself with 6's.....

I do say my good sir, we fives can’t be lumped in with the peasants. What will society think? :-)

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I do say my good sir, we fives can't be lumped in with the peasants. What will society think? :-)

You're a rabid anti- sixite

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

B

Congrats!! My goal for the year was getting to singke digits. I did it in June then went back to a 10. Ive made some club adjustments and made it to an 8 as of the last update. On pave to a 7 by the end of the month which was next years goal.

Granted, im single with a daughter off to college next week so I play a ton.

Here's a perfect example, played Congress Lake CC yesterday which is packed with history. Amazing crazy old Donald Ross on a lake, gorgeous place! I shoot 80 with count'um, 4 doubles! That's the way it goes....

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Played Saturday. The best ball striking round I've ever had - hit 11/14 fairways and 14/18 greens. Really only had one poor full swing shot and it was on the toughest tee shot on the course. Took 40 putts though, 4 3-putts. My putting has been bad this season and today was the cherry on top. Didn't make anything. Didn't even sniff the hole. Missed a two footer and a 3 footer. Just a complete lack of confidence in my stroke.

After the round for the first time ever I wasn't disappointed I didn't break 80 - I was disappointed I didn't shoot par.

Overall feel great though. My swing/ball striking is the best it's ever been and I feel that I have turned a corner in understanding my swing. In the past I've had hot streaks where I would stumble across a swing thought and it would work for a bit, but then ultimately stop working. Whenever I was hitting it well I always had a thought in the back of my head "when is this going to end". I am confident I didn't just stumble across a one-off swing thought but that I better understand the fundamentals of my swing and how to repeat it consistently.

Need to start from scratch on the putting stroke. I've always been a feel putter. At times pretty good, but the stroke has really gone downhill starting last season culminating in Saturday's round. I have a bad set up with the toe in the air and I've tried to work around it. Need to commit 100% to building a solid, fundamental putting stroke and breaking through how weird it feels. I've got a putting mat at home and can get some pretty good work in with it, so that's my focus at the moment - daily work on a good fundamental putting stroke.

Still a 7.5 and proud of my game! Hope everyone feels the same and is enjoying the last days of summer!

So I'm 49yrs old with a 13 and 10yr old. While my 6 cap isn't perfect I'm kinda proud of it. Playing 1.5x a week sucks! Just tossing that out there for us wannabes! I'm actually trending to 4.7 but that's whatever. BB

You started family late like me. I am 56 with a 20 and a 17 year olds. I just started playing again this year, only once a week. My handicap index is 8.5 right now, would love to get it back down to a 6.

So I'm 49yrs old with a 13 and 10yr old. While my 6 cap isn't perfect I'm kinda proud of it. Playing 1.5x a week sucks! Just tossing that out there for us wannabes! I'm actually trending to 4.7 but that's whatever. BB

You started family late like me. I am 56 with a 20 and a 17 year olds. I just started playing again this year, only once a week. My handicap index is 8.5 right now, would love to get it back down to a 6.

Ha! Late! 49.... with a two year old.! Greatest thing to ever happen to me !

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

Duuuuude!!!!!!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

and you still maintain a 3 handicap. I say YOU ARE THE MANNNN!

and you still maintain a 3 handicap. I say YOU ARE THE MANNNN!

It helps that I'm a stay at home dad! My daughter is already a range rat! LOL!

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

Having kids, especially young ones it tough on the golf game. Im a bit younger than you and play a bit less, so I am certainly happy to break 80.

My last few rounds have been in the upper 70's with a round at 1 over in there. It sucks because it just makes you want to play more, which just pisses off the wife lol.

Get the younguns involved with golf, it could help you get on the course more often. Maybe, lol. My #2 son picking up the game is how I got started.

Also, having a wife who plays is helpful. ;)

FWIW, I'm a 7 who has been as low as 5 a half dozen years ago and trying to claw back there....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Having kids, especially young ones it tough on the golf game. Im a bit younger than you and play a bit less, so I am certainly happy to break 80.

My last few rounds have been in the upper 70's with a round at 1 over in there. It sucks because it just makes you want to play more, which just pisses off the wife lol.

Get the younguns involved with golf, it could help you get on the course more often. Maybe, lol. My #2 son picking up the game is how I got started.

Also, having a wife who plays is helpful. ;)

FWIW, I'm a 7 who has been as low as 5 a half dozen years ago and trying to claw back there....

My 6 year old son likes to play every once in awhile he likes to drive the card more than he likes to play though haha

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Congrats....and (shudder). I can't imagine. I'm 55, and an afternoon with my 2 year old grandson wears me out

One of my regular playing partners just turned 60. He has six year old. You guys are awe inspiring!

6 was the lowest I got, kinda "backed" into it....

Kids were young, weekend golf was almost non existent. Got into a group of golfer dads at work that had a 9 hole league twice a week from 7:00 am to 9:00 am at the course next to the office. Got into a really good groove and posted a slew of sub 35 rounds (course was kind of easy), index dropped like a rock because I was posting lower numbers, frequently.

The occasional weekend round kept the handicap honest though, a few mid to high 80s rounds thrown into a few 35's for 9....

God knows what I am now, I play once every two or three weeks, mostly for fun!

44 years old and a 6.2 as of the last revision. 2 youngish kids and golf gets almost zero priority when figuring weekend plans. I just hope to slide it in on one weekend day, and possibly get out on Friday afternoon.

This has been my situation for several years, but the cap would always be around 3 by the end of the summer. Last year was the start of the downward trend. I guess the cumulative effect of never practicing (outside of warm up) has finally taken its toll. Getting older probably isn't helping either.

I was frustrated about it for a while, but I'm learning to enjoy playing, especially since I'm playing to my cap. Nothing worse than playing like a 6 but having a 4 handicap. Those "T" scores can be a cross to bear.

I live in New England so golf season is effectively 5-6 months. I talked with a lot of old timers who clearly had great game in their prime. The constant theme is unless you play 2-3 times a week going lower than 5 is near impossible. So I've never sweated HCP that much and feel getting to 6-7 play is pretty good for one with kids,college tuition and retirement to worry about. OP,being a six is just fine.

I live in New England so golf season is effectively 5-6 months. I talked with a lot of old timers who clearly had great game in their prime. The constant theme is unless you play 2-3 times a week going lower than 5 is near impossible. So I've never sweated HCP that much and feel getting to 6-7 play is pretty good for one with kids,college tuition and retirement to worry about. OP,being a six is just fine.

Getting significantly lower than 6 usually requires quite a bit of time, but STAYING scratch or below can happen with playing just a couple times a month. I have several buddies that have managed that over the years.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

50 with two kids and 9 handicap,

I started hind about ten years ago and seriously about eight years ago. Playing once a week and no practice I have kept my cap around 10 for the past three years and I'm content with that.

Last week I played everyday for a week to celebrate my 50th and was consistently shooting mid to high seventies. Leading to what ifs?? but soccer practice responsibilities loom!!

I play about once every 2 weeks avg and have been slowly creeping back up (started the season at 5.2 and now am at 5.6). It’s kind of a bittersweet spot in the HCs because one day you can go out and fire a 2 over and the next day go out up an 84 without hesitation. You’re also too low to ever win a low net event, and (depending on how many low HCs are in your club) you might place in the low gross spot. I’ve found that as a 5/6, you’ll never be as good as people think you play yet better than you think you play.

Offically a 3.8 but will never brag about it. Don’t practice as much and if I go to the range, it is usually accompanied by my 4,7 and 9 year old, all with their clubs and ready to hit a bucket and a half of of range balls in 15 minutes. Be glad you are single digits because some never experience it. Take golf for what it is and enjoy playing.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I do say my good sir, we fives can't be lumped in with the peasants. What will society think? :-)

You will join us soon enough! muhahahaha!!!

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

Im 48 and a single dad with a 13yr old son and 9yr old daughter that live with me full time. I didnt play for 6 years while i was raising them and when ibwasnt with them i was working. Now we play together and practice together pretty much every night! I am a O or 1hdc at the moment and getting my game back to where its fun again. I was a golf professional for about 15 years, but wouldnt trade being a Dad for anything in the world!!!

Getting significantly lower than 6 usually requires quite a bit of time, but STAYING scratch or below can happen with playing just a couple times a month. I have several buddies that have managed that over the years.

I'm intrigued, why do you think that is?