2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2016 M2 Vs. Ping G400 Max

titelist

So, I agree that you have to compare with the same shafts. Those aren’t the same properties. Also, the drivers are apples to oranges. The 16 m2 actually spins less than the 400 lst. Not as forgiving. And it’s almost 3 years older. What about the m4? I have the 16 m2, 17 m2, m4, g30 lst, G400, g sft and g max. I prefer m4 over all, it is pretty much everything in one. Looks, forgiveness, medium spin. Not trying to confuse but again the comparison is like tour spec to beginner. I’d say G400 lst is most comparable to 16 m2. Good luck!

How would you compare the 17 M2 to the G SFT and G400 Max?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I agree that you have to compare with the same shafts. Those aren’t the same properties. Also, the drivers are apples to oranges. The 16 m2 actually spins less than the 400 lst. Not as forgiving. And it’s almost 3 years older. What about the m4? I have the 16 m2, 17 m2, m4, g30 lst, G400, g sft and g max. I prefer m4 over all, it is pretty much everything in one. Looks, forgiveness, medium spin. Not trying to confuse but again the comparison is like tour spec to beginner. I’d say G400 lst is most comparable to 16 m2. Good luck!

the g sft and 400 max are more forgiving. While the 17 m2 is higher spin than 16, it’s still not as easy to hit as either ping. And I prefer g sft over 400 max. Just looks better imo.
  • Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

Ive never hit the M2 in my preferred shaft, but when I tested against the max (on range and monitor) kinda felt like a "you cant go wrong" scenario. I hit my target spin rates for draw and fade pretty close to every time, with the stock shaft or whatever x stiff was in it at the time I didn't pay attention. Similar feel off face, but much higher pitched noise off the ping.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Went to the big box store with the intent to get a 400Max. Brought my M2 as a comparison but would never trade her in. After an extensive comparison, I left without a 400Max and took my M2 to a nice dinner and apologized for being a jerk. I'm as hard-headed as the next club ho but it's really to starting sink in the 2016 M2 is the bee's knees.

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

I sold my 2016 M2 for a Ping G and never looked back. The difference in accuracy, forgiveness, and distance was night and day.

Ping G410 Plus Driver 10.5 - Tour 65 S
Ping G410 17.5 (set at 16.5) - Tour 75 S 

Ping G410 22 Hybrid (set at 20.5) - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue HY 80 S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Nippon Modus 3 120 S
TaylorMade MG3 50, 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

Titleist ProV1

I moved from the M2 to the G400 Max and haven't looked back. Not exactly an apples to apples set up, but I just don't hit bad drives with the Max. The M2 was a great driver. I sold it to my buddy and he loves it. The Max, though, for me, has been an absolute game changer. I can't recall a straighter, more accurate club off the tee, and it ain't exactly short, either.

G400 Max for me and it's not even close. I tried hard to like the M2/M1 drivers but could never get along with them. I actually just unloaded my 10.5 G400 Max with the Tour 65 stiff. My swing has really come around lately and I decided I needed to go back down in loft. I came really close to ordering a G400 LST with a Tour 65 X stiff shaft. I was back and forth between the 8.5 and 10 degree heads. I really don't know what I was thinking because as soon as I threw the 9 deg Max head into the mix it was all over. Tuned it down to 8.4 degrees and it was just money. Can't wait for it to get here.

As far as spin goes, I don't know what club everyone is hitting, because the Max is as low spin as anything else for me.

I had the same experiance with dropping my G400 9* down to 8.4*. I did it while messing around one day at the range and it totally made the club come alive. It's the best driver I've ever owned.

Gonna have to throw the current M4 into the mix. More forgiving than the M2, no stupid turbolaters on the head - hence beats em both. And of course it’s just as long as both of em - with the right shaft of course.

TM SIM2 Stock Ventus

TM SIM2 MAX Rocket Oban Devotion
Callaway Rogue 17 Degree Project X Even Flow Blue
Titleist TS2 21 Degree Tensei Blue
Titleist T300 5-GW Nippon 950GH
Vokey SM6 54 + 58 KBS C Taper
Odyssey EXO 7s
Vice Pro Plus / Kirkland Signature

G400 Max for me and it's not even close. I tried hard to like the M2/M1 drivers but could never get along with them. I actually just unloaded my 10.5 G400 Max with the Tour 65 stiff. My swing has really come around lately and I decided I needed to go back down in loft. I came really close to ordering a G400 LST with a Tour 65 X stiff shaft. I was back and forth between the 8.5 and 10 degree heads. I really don't know what I was thinking because as soon as I threw the 9 deg Max head into the mix it was all over. Tuned it down to 8.4 degrees and it was just money. Can't wait for it to get here.

As far as spin goes, I don't know what club everyone is hitting, because the Max is as low spin as anything else for me.

I had the same experiance with dropping my G400 9* down to 8.4*. I did it while messing around one day at the range and it totally made the club come alive. It's the best driver I've ever owned.

8.4 g400 max with low spin shaft wins driver of the year hands down in my opinion.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

High speed guy here... I currently play the 2016 M2 at 8.4* and it was literally unbeatable. When I hit it on TrackMan there were 3 fitters in my bay together and they all agreed there was no way anything could improve on my numbers. I was getting 11-12 launch with less than 2200 spin average and smash of 1.48-1.49. I did try the G400LST max as well as the MAX... MAX wanted to turn over on me too much but it was Uber forgiving. My choice of the Ping offerings would be 400 LST because I achieved my 2nd highest ball speed of all time on a couple balls with it and I usually don’t have an issue finding the middle of the face but I just can’t walk away from my 2016 M2 with Mitsubishi [Rayon] Tensei Pro White 80tx. I keep cracking the heads and it is getting annoying trying to find new heads to work with but I’ve never hit a driver better than the M2 ball for ball.

Side note, I do have a Srixon 785 on its way that I’m going to pair with a low/low shaft I’ve had for a while so I’m curious to see what that is like in comparison

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

High speed guy here... I currently play the 2016 M2 at 8.4* and it was literally unbeatable. When I hit it on TrackMan there were 3 fitters in my bay together and they all agreed there was no way anything could improve on my numbers. I was getting 11-12 launch with less than 2200 spin average and smash of 1.48-1.49. I did try the G400LST max as well as the MAX... MAX wanted to turn over on me too much but it was Uber forgiving. My choice of the Ping offerings would be 400 LST because I achieved my 2nd highest ball speed of all time on a couple balls with it and I usually don’t have an issue finding the middle of the face but I just can’t walk away from my 2016 M2 with Mitsubishi [Rayon] Tensei Pro White 80tx. I keep cracking the heads and it is getting annoying trying to find new heads to work with but I’ve never hit a driver better than the M2 ball for ball.

Side note, I do have a Srixon 785 on its way that I’m going to pair with a low/low shaft I’ve had for a while so I’m curious to see what that is like in comparison

You play the 9.5 turned down to 8.4?

High speed guy here... I currently play the 2016 M2 at 8.4* and it was literally unbeatable. When I hit it on TrackMan there were 3 fitters in my bay together and they all agreed there was no way anything could improve on my numbers. I was getting 11-12 launch with less than 2200 spin average and smash of 1.48-1.49. I did try the G400LST max as well as the MAX... MAX wanted to turn over on me too much but it was Uber forgiving. My choice of the Ping offerings would be 400 LST because I achieved my 2nd highest ball speed of all time on a couple balls with it and I usually don't have an issue finding the middle of the face but I just can't walk away from my 2016 M2 with Mitsubishi [Rayon] Tensei Pro White 80tx. I keep cracking the heads and it is getting annoying trying to find new heads to work with but I've never hit a driver better than the M2 ball for ball.

Side note, I do have a Srixon 785 on its way that I'm going to pair with a low/low shaft I've had for a while so I'm curious to see what that is like in comparison

Please share the ball speed numbers too!!! ;)

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

It is with some regret that he has never found Ping drivers to his liking.

They are often giant looking.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

• 5 weeks later...

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I’m currently playing an RBZ Tour. Been wanting to hit the new G 400 max. Then I have heard how good the 2016 M2 is. Are both those drivers really that much better than my RBZ Tour? If so, enough to fork out the cash and upgrade? I’ve got no problem with spending the money to buy a new one, just want to make sure it really is worth it. It’s about a couple hour drive for me to go someplace to demo one.

$$$$

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I’m currently playing an RBZ Tour. Been wanting to hit the new G 400 max. Then I have heard how good the 2016 M2 is. Are both those drivers really that much better than my RBZ Tour? If so, enough to fork out the cash and upgrade? I’ve got no problem with spending the money to buy a new one, just want to make sure it really is worth it. It’s about a couple hour drive for me to go someplace to demo one.

I would say they may both be better in their own way, but that's not to say that a properly fit RBZ can't hang. If it's working for you, probably no need to change it but comparing the 16 M2 to the Max is ridiculous IMO. The M2 can be long, yes, but there is NO comparison when it comes to forgiveness and the Max is no slouch when it comes to distance in its own right. I can see where the looks of the Ping could turn people off for sure, I like the TM white/carbon look but for me, the performance of the Ping is on a whole other level above the M2. If you're looking for more accuracy than your Rbz but similar or more distance, the Max will not let you down. I play the regular G400 9* and find it way more accurate than the M2 as well, fwiw.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I would say they may both be better in their own way, but that's not to say that a properly fit RBZ can't hang. If it's working for you, probably no need to change it but comparing the 16 M2 to the Max is ridiculous IMO. The M2 can be long, yes, but there is NO comparison when it comes to forgiveness and the Max is no slouch when it comes to distance in its own right. I can see where the looks of the Ping could turn people off for sure, I like the TM white/carbon look but for me, the performance of the Ping is on a whole other level above the M2. If you're looking for more accuracy than your Rbz but similar or more distance, the Max will not let you down. I play the regular G400 9* and find it way more accurate than the M2 as well, fwiw.

Thank you! Sounds like the Max is uber forgiving and still very long. The RBZ Tour is pretty forgiving but I’m sure not as good as the Max from what you’ve said. I’m going to be down in Phoenix in 2 weeks. I’m going to go try one. Thanks again.

$$$$

^This. Couldn't have said it better myself. Max is the best of both worlds -- forgiving and long.

^This. Couldn't have said it better myself. Max is the best of both worlds -- forgiving and long.

You really have to test them to know for sure. Ball.speed between 16 m2, g400 lst, and g400 max were identical for me. Max was shorter by nearly 10 yards because of spin. Lst and 16 m2 were nearly identical.

G400 for “actual golf”

M2 for “launch monitor golf”

What he said launch monitor golf....

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

Money has to play a factor. M2 is very very long and im sure the G400 max not going to gain much if any in distance.

Driver: TM Sim2 Max Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 7X

3W: TM M2 (2016) 3HL Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 8TX

DI: Srixon ZX 20* AD DI Hybrid 95X

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW TT X100

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 TT X100

Putter: SC Newport 2 Custom

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x