Tiger vs. Phil in "The Match." **MERGED**

BenSeattle

For everyone saying the golf wasn’t that great let’s give some credit to the course. That course looks very challenging and those greens were very firm and had lots of subtle breaks to them. I don’t see a sub -20 total winning score there @a pga event. The course is 7560 yards too! The last shot 100% should have been 17 lit up though. That 90 yarder was dumb.

I think you’re wrong. That course doesn’t play that long thanks to the doglegs and short rough. Pros would eat it up. It’s a resort course. Honestly, it looked like my home course here on RTJ trail in Alabama. Very similar style course.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed it but absolutely hated the broadcast.

The drone was loud and not well (or frequently, it seemed) used.

The announcers were completely obnoxious and clearly had no rhythm/flow - they talked over each other and interrupted each other all day.

The advanced stats trying to make it like a poker match didn't really add anything to the day.

Also having Phil and Tiger miked up was a great idea in theory, but the biggest thing we learned is that they are both heavy mouth breathers when they walk.

For everyone saying the golf wasn't that great let's give some credit to the course. That course looks very challenging and those greens were very firm and had lots of subtle breaks to them. I don't see a sub -20 total winning score there @a pga event. The course is 7560 yards too! The last shot 100% should have been 17 lit up though. That 90 yarder was dumb.

I think you're wrong. That course doesn't play that long thanks to the doglegs and short rough. Pros would eat it up. It's a resort course. Honestly, it looked like my home course here on RTJ trail in Alabama. Very similar style course.

TEE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 OUT 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN TOT YDS 415 435 486 581 202 507 571 200 460 3857 437 324 405 257 493 482 622 154 529 3703 7560

no way in hell esp if they play 18 as a long par four at like 500 yds.

ur a +2, i would put 100.00 u don't break par there with the greens running as hard and fast as yesterday.

Wasn't going to buy it but was not doing anything, so I did, I was bored, could not wait to get it over. Was compelled to watch cause I paid! Second pay per view in my life.

I thought their comments and thinking around the course was interesting, but frankly, I don't think 100 mil would have made it any more compelling. At their level, they have all the houses, money, planes, they can use......to me it shows that ultimately, there is no intensity like tourney intensity and especially majors intensity.

Driver: Wilson Whale

3 wd: Nickent 4DX

5 wd: Adams Faldo Series

7 wd: Warrior Tomahawk

9 wd:  Mastergrip OSC

11 wd: Goldwin 11

Irons 7-pw: Slotline Inertial E-Max

SW: Alien Shot Saver   LW: Hummingbird Air X 70 degree

Putter: Tour Edge T-Balance

Ball: Chromax Titanium

After letting the whole thing sink in I have to say the over all I really enjoyed it. At 1st the banter between the 2 of them seemed awkward at best and then as the match started to progress they both seemed to get a little more serious but it was difficult to watch them really having to grind it out. I had really thought 2 of them would have played a lot better in what seemed to me that it should have been a no pressure situation but I kept on forgetting that it was for 9 million dollars.

I think they missed a huge opportunity by not having Charles Barkley do on the course reporting mingled amongst tiger and Phil.

Another point is everybody loves Natalie Gulbis and they bring her out once for a 30 second spot I would have used her a hell of a lot more.

When Phil gave that last putt and said that he didn't wanna win it like this I knew that no matter how close tiger was that there was no way he was gonna sink a putt to win the match and that was pretty obvious on the putt he made and how far he left it out to the right and short. Tiger seemed embarrassed to be given that last putt. He knew he was beaten.

I also wonder how much of effect that rapid drop in temperature had on tiger and you could hear him complain about how cold his hands where..

I

What they need for a successful PPV is a three day tournament, 12 a side, with one team representing the USA, and the other representing Europe. Fourballa and foursomes on the first two days, with singles on the final day.

I think it could really catch on as an event.

I think you might be on to something there with that idea Mark. :) You should be in TV.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I may one of the old guys here on WRX, but I have to say, I enjoyed that. Was I entertained? Yes, very much so. It wasn't so much as the golf was stellar. It certainly was not remarkable golf from these two (the course wasn't giving them a ton of looks), but I expected better.

But we got extra holes, finishing under the lights and banter back and forth until they started to feel a little pressure near the end. It's debatable if it was worth $20, but oh well. I had a good time with it. I'm sure next year will have a team aspect if they decide to do it again.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I enjoyed it. I agree with Popey64 about having Barkley and more on the course interacting with Phil & Tiger. Phil’s Darth Vader breathing was a little distracting. My only real complaint was Peter Jacobson talking over the players. I’d watch it again.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

Think about it though, what did Tiger have to prove by playing Phil? Nothing really, he’s already beat him all these years and it’s not like Phil has been doing anything special lately for Tiger to play him.

$9 million reasons. It was for money.

Tiger never plays for the money especially anymore, he’s got like a billion net worth. I noticed Tigers lack of prep/taking this as serious as Phil when I watched the hbo special and then kind of put the pieces together because I wanted Tiger to take it more seriously after viewing that special.

He just finished an entire season that was draining on his body. His goal going into the offseason was rest and strength to get his body and back ready for next seasons schedule. After the Ryder cup he put the clubs away and picked them up a couple weeks prior to the match. That hbo special was literally his first time playing since the Ryder cup. Phil has played the course like 3 times by then.

It was fitting for Phil to win. Giving Tiger that putt on that mock par 3 was very generous

So Rory was right after all... this match was indeed 15 years too late. The standard of golf was pretty shocking at times, and the commentary from both Tiger & Phil and the booth was cringeworthy quite often.

Disagree. It was well worth the $20. 15 years ago it would have been worth $100 due to the tiger hype machine , But that's another subject entirely.

Rory plus anyone else wouldn't have generated as many viewers as today. Rory's point was that it was a bad idea , a " fail" as the young kids would say. Well. It really wasn't. Too many people watched go say that. Room for improvement? Yes. But 15 years ago all we'd have seen different is a little less gracious tiger and maybe a Phil who would have took the win form a tiger miss . Otherwise same same. Either could have won 15 years ago. Same as today.

Rory was right, can you at least admit that? This would have been a far better product 15 years ago. I think you owe Rory an apology.

I went to my club to watch it with a bunch of friends, the bar was packed and everyone enjoyed "The Match". It was entertaining, Phil and Tiger showed a lot of class and overall I think it sets up future matches on PPV so no, Rory wasn't right.

No Rory was right, just on a different level than you. Rory correctly highlighted “if they had done it 15 years ago it would have been great” (referring to the standard of play)… yesterday was anything but “great”, the standard was very poor and cringeworthy at times. Sure you can try and get around this fact by claiming “it was entertaining”, but so too is watching two drunken women having a fight pulling each others hair be seen as “entertaining”, but that doesn’t mean it’s a “great” quality fight.

In fact even the co-commentators validated Rory’s comments when they admitted to the audience that we’re watching a “poor standard” of golf. Like Rory, they were also right. Another who validated Rory’s comments were the highly excited crew at NoLayingUp for the upcoming match, but in their post event podcast they were honest enough to admit (and I quote):

NoLayingUp post-event:

“It was just a let down even at the lowest entertainment level.”

Can YOU admit Rory did have a point that was shared by many other people (obviously not you)?

I enjoyed it but absolutely hated the broadcast.

The drone was loud and not well (or frequently, it seemed) used.

The announcers were completely obnoxious and clearly had no rhythm/flow - they talked over each other and interrupted each other all day.

The advanced stats trying to make it like a poker match didn't really add anything to the day.

Also having Phil and Tiger miked up was a great idea in theory, but the biggest thing we learned is that they are both heavy mouth breathers when they walk.

I thought the drone sound was fake

Think about it though, what did Tiger have to prove by playing Phil? Nothing really, he’s already beat him all these years and it’s not like Phil has been doing anything special lately for Tiger to play him.

$9 million reasons. It was for money.

Tiger never plays for the money especially anymore, he’s got like a billion net worth. I noticed Tigers lack of prep/taking this as serious as Phil when I watched the hbo special and then kind of put the pieces together because I wanted Tiger to take it more seriously after viewing that special.

He just finished an entire season that was draining on his body. His goal going into the offseason was rest and strength to get his body and back ready for next seasons schedule. After the Ryder cup he put the clubs away and picked them up a couple weeks prior to the match. That hbo special was literally his first time playing since the Ryder cup. Phil has played the course like 3 times by then.

It was fitting for Phil to win. Giving Tiger that putt on that mock par 3 was very generous

There’s no reason for Tiger to play apart from money

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

lol at Tiger's short misses or his 2x93 yard misses in a row, looked staged, and the gimme he gave to Phil on 18 like wtf...

Tiger's putt on the final hole looked like he just gave up

yeah that putt was bad lol, he looked tired, was it cold ?

I just checked and he played an unofficial 69 first 18, thought he hit it worse but grinded pretty good

Forget the excuses of Tiger being “tired”… it looked like the Tiger we’ve seen many times this year struggling technically & mentally. Mark my words, Tiger wanted to win this match. Phil was just performed better when it came to the crunch.

No offense to the poll starter 'in the other thread' but I think that poll should have included if those who watched it paid or did not pay. I did not pay. I had no intention of paying but when I found out it was streaming free then why not.

But I think the poll is looking for who had interest. Not to isolate those who didn't wish to pay to watch. That's a whole other argument.

It's my poll and No offense taken. I thought about shaping a question about free watchers but wanted to keep it simple and determine interest level. I also just added a question about where it was watched. Seems a lot of folks may have watched a bars or golf clubs.

EDIT-- darn it I wiped out my poll when I edited it. Please revote --- sorry for the problem :(

damn what happen? I was using that as a source for the George Blanda fans on this site.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

So Rory was right after all... this match was indeed 15 years too late. The standard of golf was pretty shocking at times, and the commentary from both Tiger & Phil and the booth was cringeworthy quite often.

Disagree. It was well worth the $20. 15 years ago it would have been worth $100 due to the tiger hype machine , But that's another subject entirely.

Rory plus anyone else wouldn't have generated as many viewers as today. Rory's point was that it was a bad idea , a " fail" as the young kids would say. Well. It really wasn't. Too many people watched go say that. Room for improvement? Yes. But 15 years ago all we'd have seen different is a little less gracious tiger and maybe a Phil who would have took the win form a tiger miss . Otherwise same same. Either could have won 15 years ago. Same as today.

Rory was right, can you at least admit that? This would have been a far better product 15 years ago. I think you owe Rory an apology.

I went to my club to watch it with a bunch of friends, the bar was packed and everyone enjoyed "The Match". It was entertaining, Phil and Tiger showed a lot of class and overall I think it sets up future matches on PPV so no, Rory wasn't right.

No Rory was right, just on a different level than you. Rory correctly highlighted “if they had done it 15 years ago it would have been great” (referring to the standard of play)… yesterday was anything but “great”, the standard was very poor and cringeworthy at times. Sure you can try and get around this fact by claiming “it was entertaining”, but so too is watching two drunken women having a fight pulling each others hair be seen as “entertaining”, but that doesn’t mean it’s a “great” quality fight.

In fact even the co-commentators validated Rory’s comments when they admitted to the audience that we’re watching a “poor standard” of golf. Like Rory, they were also right. Another who validated Rory’s comments were the highly excited crew at NoLayingUp for the upcoming match, but in their post event podcast they were honest enough to admit (and I quote):

NoLayingUp post-event:

“It was just a let down even at the lowest entertainment level.”

Can YOU admit Rory did have a point that was shared by many other people (obviously not you)?

Mr Cool you may as well stop

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig."

?

I don't have the same trust in Tiger to make key putts that he used to back in his prime. Today was another reason to think that.

I don't think mentally Tiger can handle the pressure quite like he use to. The Tour Champ's may have been the exception as we've seen him looking mentally fragile in the key pressure moments time and again this season. I'm really curious to see how he stacks up next season.

Lol here comes CR again, chip in on 17 begs to differ

One great shot doesn’t mask all the other poor shots. Exception rather than the rule.

I don't have the same trust in Tiger to make key putts that he used to back in his prime. Today was another reason to think that.

I don't think mentally Tiger can handle the pressure quite like he use to. The Tour Champ's may have been the exception as we've seen him looking mentally fragile in the key pressure moments time and again this season. I'm really curious to see how he stacks up next season.

Lol here comes CR again, chip in on 17 begs to differ

The 2018 season proves he can't close/handle pressure like he once did, still clearly good enough to win big events (eg. Tour Championship) but in the past he'd have won 3/4 times with those chances. A chip in during an exhibition match I don't see as evidence to the contrary.

Thank you for an honest appraisal. They’re very rare around here.

I watched it for free on BR and enjoyed it. I did think there would be more trash talking and side betting but for a first time I don't think it was that terrible. I will say that the Capitol One commercial where the marshall told Sir Charles that he needed to tee off from the designated tee box was hilarious as was Phil talking about Tiger's chip in on 17 and how he had been doing that to him for 20 years. I do agree that Charles and Pat should have done more talking and perhaps been out there with them to help egg them along.

As far as the side bets go, they were substantial but few and far between. I would have expected more of the "25k says you miss this 8 footer!" type of stuff. They seemed like they were trying to hard to keep it more like a golf event instead of 2 of the most competitive greats going head to head. Especially after the Tiger comment about playing Phil for "whatever makes him nervous!"

I didn't pay for it but it was interesting. I didn't like the 94 yd "hole". They should have lit up 17

Absolutely, how could anyone think that was a good way to end it! :dntknw:

watched the preview of Phil playing S C and working on a strategy. He hoped it would come down to this hole as it would be a nail in Tigers coffin.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

bladehunter:

“Lol.

We just have to agree to disagree on Rory. He was wrong. There is no 2 players who could have made the match better. Drawn more fans or made more $. Unless you contest that point we’re just arguing over semantics. And that’s fruitless for either of us.

As for JT. lol. He tweeted at the show before it started and all during. They showed his tweets several times. He watched with Spieth etc at his home. So don’t go lumping someone else in to Rory’s pitty party.

Show wasn’t the miss Rory said it would be. Bottom line. Watch the new poll on the other thread. You’ll see the majority of the “ golf nerds “ as you coined us watched it here.”

––––––––––––––––

No Rory was right, just on a different level than you. Rory correctly highlighted “if they had done it 15 years ago it would have been great” (referring to the standard of their play then compared to now)… yesterday was anything but “great”, the standard was very poor and at times cringeworthy.

Sure you can take from it what you will with your rose-tinted glasses, but me and a multitude of other more impartial & rational Tiger/Golf fans had just hoped for a far better standard of golf than what we saw. Reality showed Rory did indeed have a point when he said, “if they had done it 15 years ago it would have been great”, and even the most insecure Tiger fan can admit to that truth on some level, no?

The reason I originally challenged some of your comments was because you were clearly projecting your own Tiger fanaticism/insecurities on to another golfer (Rory) simply because he had a differing opinion than you and was thinking on a different level which was the quality of their golf 15 years ago would have made this match great, or at least far better than what we saw.

Can you now admit that Rory had a point on the standard of play aspect?

I enjoyed watching it and I hope they do it again sometime with different top rated players/rivalries. I watched some of that Hero World Challenge kickoff event thing they do for that tournament kinda set up like a top shot shotmakers format and the Stenson and Fleetwood "match" part was funny (~32min mark). Fleetwood is funny, too.

A full 18 hole match at a awesome course with side trick shot challenges/bets would be entertaining. They could definitely improve some things for the next "Match" event. Incorporate some elements from "The Big Break" challenges and the Hero Challenge stuff.

I'm sure we'll see it again next year. I haven't read anything about how much money was thrown around at the sports books but I'd bet it was a successful event.

[media=]

[/media]

No offense to the poll starter 'in the other thread' but I think that poll should have included if those who watched it paid or did not pay. I did not pay. I had no intention of paying but when I found out it was streaming free then why not.

But I think the poll is looking for who had interest. Not to isolate those who didn't wish to pay to watch. That's a whole other argument.

The level of “interest” people say/have for something is just foreplay to the holy grail of “how much and how many will actually pay” for said product / service.

We’ve got that answer loud and clear.

For everyone saying the golf wasn't that great let's give some credit to the course. That course looks very challenging and those greens were very firm and had lots of subtle breaks to them. I don't see a sub -20 total winning score there @a pga event. The course is 7560 yards too! The last shot 100% should have been 17 lit up though. That 90 yarder was dumb.

I think the greens specifically were the reason the scoring wasn't better. Especially on the front by Phil. If people want to see more birdies in a future match like this, I think they should try to move this to a course that is played on Tour so that they are more familiar with the greens.

I agree the 90 yard shot was a little goofy but it sets the stage for another match next year starting earlier than 12PM.

They both played the course many times. Tiger had the course record.

I’m aware. That being said, playing the course many times is different than playing the course under tournament conditions.