• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on this s*** show:

- would have been better with little to no media

- would have been better with cameras "out of the way" so to speak

- would have been better with fans more out of the way

I guess what I'm trying to say is this would have been better if it wasn't such a production. Walking down #1 fairway Figjam and Tiger are talking about how SLJ is "the king of cool." No one cares about SLJ in this match, but Figjam was trying to break the ice because it was so f****** awkward to start out. The production was way over done.

Would have been so much better to have Tiger and Fig mic'd up and then get the hell out of their way. No hoopla, no interviews, no cameras from every angle. This was like a weird stage play.

I think they were in unknown territory and weren't sure how much chatter there would be between Tiger and Phil. As the match progressed they spoke less and became more focused on winning so production had to fill the dead air with something. I thought Barkley was entertaining, SLJ aside from the commercials was a waste and Natalie Gulbis was under utilized, she should have gotten more interviews and pushed for some more betting, maybe Pat Perez would have been better in that spot. I also think the match running over impacted a lot of the "hoopla" they might have planned for after the match.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

It must be newsworthy, the match result is the top story at ESPN.com. The PPV problems are the second top story.

It is also the top story on the BBC Sport page.

Ha. Good one. The "top story" on a day when there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE GOING ON. And for this we should be impressed. The John Deere classic carries vastly more prestige.

Prestige? You get into the Open by winning it, but The Match has a much bigger presence. With that said, Tiger said the one shot he'd like back in his career was at the Quad Cities.

You also get into the Masters. And a two-year exemption. And a Tour win. And World Ranking Points. And FedEx Cup points. And the respect of your peers. Need more?

Phil + Tiger = Liberace = Crying All The Way To The Bank.

Boy, I sure wish I had invested $20 of my money to watch this historic event. Instead I wasted it on a worthless actual round of golf in 75 degree weather.

Good for you.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

I’m sorry, didn’t purchase and don’t have time to read the play by play, what was the final?

The takeaway from The Match is that deadsolid...shank should learn to use the internet and type things in to a search engine or ESPN.

Edgy stuff... deadsolid is a valued member of this community whos always down to talk golf. Hes sincerely asking what happened and wanted members perspective.you know some people are away from screens and phones for a bit this holiday weekend and some are travelling.A little less snark and a little more kindness would go a long way.

I agree. It's all too easy to respond in a manner that is snarky these days. Civility goes a long way to anyone, especially a respected member. Maybe SullGolf can learn to show a bit more respect instead of their backside.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

lol at Tiger's short misses or his 2x93 yard misses in a row, looked staged, and the gimme he gave to Phil on 18 like wtf...

Tiger’s putt on the final hole looked like he just gave up

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

It was pretty lack luster golf but I'm not going to criticize it entirely. As soon as Phil made the final putt my PPV feed froze and I didn't see anything else. I called my Cable provider

and was told there was a Nationwide outage and that I would be getting a Refund for the PPV :pimp:

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

lol at Tiger's short misses or his 2x93 yard misses in a row, looked staged, and the gimme he gave to Phil on 18 like wtf...

Playing Phil in a wedge contest off a green would of been quite the challenge, probably one of the worst guys to play that against

Regarding tigers short misses, he did that a few times during the season. Missed like 10 4 footers at the memorial. Plus those greens looked punched

Surprised to see the "match" listed on the PGA Tour website schedule. Does it help or harm the PGA Tour brand??

https://www.pgatour....s/schedule.html

Can only help. How could it hurt ? Positive publicity, plus a chance to see the two best of an era once more.

If this experiment goes forward, my prediction is it won't, not sure the PGA Tour will want to be associated with that kind of "positive publicity".

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

We're all arguing offering opinions on the match- is it a good idea or bad? First it both increases popularity while also hurting the game. We can look at this two ways from the perspective of financial success, statistics and ratings (ppv #s) & black/red or in terms of growth. It hurts the spirit of the game and they didn't have their best stuff till 13 really. I guess the issue I have with this is that it makes golf look MORE elitist when what we really need is something like this that is open to the entire viewing audience. It was a tremendous opportunity to grow the game and it was squandered in a way. I enjoyed some of it and hated parts of it but still these two men have done more to grow the game than any single golfer in the last 20 years. It's a swan song of sorts but I watched Pacquiao Mayweather lol. That was a sad example of PPV sports and in measuring the two I'm much happier to have paid for this and watched it then I was watching that for FREE at my bosses house.

Tiger's putt on the final hole looked like he just gave up

yeah that putt was bad lol, he looked tired, was it cold ?

I just checked and he played an unofficial 69 first 18, thought he hit it worse but grinded pretty good

Peter Jacobsen ruined this thing for me. The whole thing was marketed on the banter between the players, the side bets etc. We missed 80 percent of this while the fools in the booth yapped on and on and on. Awful production value, limited graphics on the screen, no technical feedback on numbers from top tracer,... plus now with social media providing instant feedback, the producers could have gotten instant feedback from the viewers on the horrible production, they then could have run to Home Depot, purchased some duct tape and taped all of the announcers mouth’s shut. Also, the greens were punched.... I’m not hating on it, I just think it could have been so much better.

I don't have the same trust in Tiger to make key putts that he used to back in his prime. Today was another reason to think that.

I don’t think mentally Tiger can handle the pressure quite like he use to. The Tour Champ’s may have been the exception as we’ve seen him looking mentally fragile in the key pressure moments time and again this season. I’m really curious to see how he stacks up next season.

Lol here comes CR again, chip in on 17 begs to differ

I don't have the same trust in Tiger to make key putts that he used to back in his prime. Today was another reason to think that.

I don't think mentally Tiger can handle the pressure quite like he use to. The Tour Champ's may have been the exception as we've seen him looking mentally fragile in the key pressure moments time and again this season. I'm really curious to see how he stacks up next season.

Lol here comes CR again, chip in on 17 begs to differ

The 2018 season proves he can't close/handle pressure like he once did, still clearly good enough to win big events (eg. Tour Championship) but in the past he'd have won 3/4 times with those chances. A chip in during an exhibition match I don't see as evidence to the contrary.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]