Tiger vs. Phil in "The Match." **MERGED**

BenSeattle

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Morning Drive this morning, talking about this match, and other possible future matchups.

Ron Sirak had the best idea, the low handicap male golfer against an LPGA player. That would generate as much talk here as the original match did.

I saw that too. I think it’s a great idea. Would give an idea of how good the lpga really is. I’ve been to lpga tournaments.. those women can flat play.

I just thought it tied in so well with that long (and often heated)thread we had about just that.

The entire golf world needs to read this site. All the ideas are already here.

Interesting Morning Drive this morning, talking about this match, and other possible future matchups.

Ron Sirak had the best idea, the low handicap male golfer against an LPGA player. That would generate as much talk here as the original match did.

I agree it would generate a ton of buzz. But. It would kill the lpga if the am won. And the country is full of plus caps who could win even if playing split tees.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I saw that too. I think it's a great idea. Would give an idea of how good the lpga really is. I've been to lpga tournaments.. those women can flat play.

Doesn't seem as exciting as it sounds. After negotiating the overall course length to be "fair" to the LPGA player, what does the low handicap male do? Try to bomb and gouge to get a distance advantage? Then it becomes this hare vs tortoise snooze fest as the LPGA players just trots along at a steady pace and eventually wins. Does the low handicap player try to be smart and keep it in the fairway with hybrids and fw woods to have the same shot as the LPGA player? Then he gets mopped up on the greens.

Besides, there is no name value to some random low handicap male player so beyond his friends/family, who watches him? And the LPGA player name value is only marginally higher. In other words, we won't be seeing this.

I doubt we see any "Match" in the future that does not have Tiger and/or Phil involved. It is not all that interesting. As long as PGA Tour is behind the scenes, the PPV potential of the event with cursing, big side bets, trash talking, and any other weekend hacker nonsense you can think of that so many here desire...it's not happening. And it probably shouldn't. The PGA Tour has an image and a brand to protect, and even for independent contractors, they see the long term value in their bank account.

Nice little experiment, good thing the stream ended up "free"...worse closing imaginable - a pitch and putt??? What would have been hilarious to pick up on the "mic" is if Phil reminded Tiger of the "parking lot" conversation. Can you imagine? What if Phil and Tiger agreed to split the $9M and let one or the other win just to make sure this gets done in 18 or 19 holes??!!

I agree it would generate a ton of buzz. But. It would kill the lpga if the am won. And the country is full of plus caps who could win even if playing split tees.

I can't imagine why the lpga player would agree to it, it's a no win situation for her. She loses, then we know a lpga tour pro can't beat a scratch male golfer, if she wins, who cares, she's a pro.

When Bobby Riggs played Billie Jean King, she was in her prime as a pro tennis player, he was 55 years old and very outmatched. Unless we're going to throw the lpga player the equivalent of Bobby Riggs, a scratch golfer in his prime will out drive her by at least 40 yards and have shorter club into every hole.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I can't imagine why the lpga player would agree to it, it's a no win situation for her. She loses, then we know a lpga tour pro can't beat a scratch male golfer, if she wins, who cares, she's a pro.

When Bobby Riggs played Billie Jean King, she was in her prime as a pro tennis player, he was 55 years old and very outmatched. Unless we're going to throw the lpga player the equivalent of Bobby Riggs, a scratch golfer in his prime will out drive her by at least 40 yards and have shorter club into every hole.

Steve-Elkington-Net-Worth.jpg

New2golf-

Quite interesting. I share your take on tiger and Phil.

It’s no secret that I’m an original Phil fan. I watched alot of golf with my grandfather as a teen in the early 90s and I saw Phil break onto the scene. Instantly a fan ! Oddly enough I stopped watching right before tiger turned pro. I never saw a tiger major win live. All in last 4 years on YouTube. In fact Eastlake this year was the 1st tiger win I saw live.

I’ve become a big tiger fan after the fact. Knowing his indescretions before becoming a fan. Evidence of all this can be found in my posts if anyone cares to dig 4 years back. I’ve been pretty pro Phil forever. Warts and all.

That being said. If you watch tiger 1.0 you know you’re watching a performance that isn’t of this world. Young tiger played the best golf the planet has ever known. Period. Not debatable really. Hard to not be a fan of that. But more so I’ve studied his swings. All of them including today’s. I’m not a swing expert. At all. But I understand what I’m seeing and why it works. And it’s really something to behold around 2002ish. I’m convinced no golf ball has been struck with that much precision. Time and time again. Another thing that makes me a fan. There are things that the body can get too aged or too broken to replicate 100 %. But. 90% of that action is better than 99% of the actions currently on tour. And he’s showing that to be true. I’m a fan that much more of tiger 6.0 ( or whatever version name you choose ) . Even if self inflicted he’s completing one of the greatest sports comebacks ever. I love a story that proves people wrong. It’s finny that some see this as a delusion and that we think tiger 1.0 is coming back. None of us can be 25 again. That’s not a secret. I’m pulling for THIS tiger to win. To prove the Curtis Stranges of the world wrong AGAIN!

To close. Folks that claim me to be blind , uninformed , or living in the past regarding being a tiger fan etc are completely uninformed , and/or diluted by their own hatred. I’m a fan after the fact. Not because of a childhood idolization etc. in my opinion that’s about as eyes wide open as you could be.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Agree. And I’m not down on ladies at all. I’m not even saying 100 % loss rate. Probably 50/50. But a loss would be terrible for that tour.

And there are a lot of 18-35 year old +2-3 monsters out there that can putt. Some of those mid am guys would have them for lunch.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Agree. And I'm not down on ladies at all. I'm not even saying 100 % loss rate. Probably 50/50. But a loss would be terrible for that tour.

And there are a lot of 18-35 year old +2-3 monsters out there that can putt. Some of those mid am guys would have them for lunch.

I'm also not down on the ladies, but I don't see there being anything to gain from such a match for them. Riggs and King played the same game on the same court. If you have the scratch golfer and pro play from different tee boxes the lpga player has already lost in the eyes of the public, from the same tees the lpga player can't keep up with the distance unless you hand pick a short hitter for her.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Agree. And I'm not down on ladies at all. I'm not even saying 100 % loss rate. Probably 50/50. But a loss would be terrible for that tour.

I'm also not down on the ladies, but I don't see there being anything to gain from such a match for them. Riggs and King played the same game on the same court. If you have the scratch golfer and pro play from different tee boxes the lpga player has already lost in the eyes of the public, from the same tees the lpga player can't keep up with the distance unless you hand pick a short hitter for her.

Unless it’s a fledgling LPGAer who could just flat out use the money. If they made it lucrative enough for her.

But I’ve always been in favor of watching random amateurs play. To me, that’s more entertaining, especially if there is money on the line. Even if it’s not their own money, if it’s an amount big enough to be impactful to them, it’s a lot of pressure.

Kudos to Phil-

1. Talk a little smack earlier in the year

2. Make a suggestion of a one on one duel of this generations top 2

3. Line up some "suckers sponsors to pay for it

4. Get paid $9mil

5. Get a one up on the one guy who you needed to get one up

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Anyone know if you've got to proactively claim the refund or if they're just issuing to those who paid?

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Ok with how thrilling this event was I thought of a couple more. If there are any program directors out there, just send me a PM and we can talk.

Smylie Kaufman v. Stephen Bowditch "The quest for 79"

John Daly v. Andrew "Beef" Johnson "Drunk and Drunker"

Greg Norman v. Brandle Chamblee "No I hate Tiger more"

Brandle Chamblee v Peter Jacobson "At least they aren't commentating" - assuming you don't mic up the players

Cantlay v Day "While we're young"

I just watched The Match (had to record it). I haven't read any of the 60 pages of this thread, but just thought I'd share my thoughts...

1. That was kind of boring... neither person played very well and it was far less "thrilling" than I thought it would be. What a let down TBH.
  2. Way too many announcers, most of which had no clue what they were talking about. Did they have like 8 different people trying to announce this thing?
  3. Kudos to Phil, but both guys were going to make plenty of money either way.
  4. What happened to Justin Thomas going on record saying "no chance" he'd watch any of it?! Pretty sure they were flashing live tweets of his up until the very end haha

Overall, I was hoping this would recapture some of the magic that Shell's Wonderful World of Golf had, but it really fell short...

Shameless exhibition of two cheapskates promoting corporate greed. Next time play with your own $.

Wouldn't that describe any modern sporting event? There are a lot of corporate sponsor dollars involved in the weekly PGA tournaments.

Yup. The whole "play for your own money" comment is asinine at best. Why would they play for their own money on TV so that others could profit from it? They're bringing the talent and the viewers and they should put up all of the money too? They put in hundreds of thousands to charity as is.

I suppose NFL players should pay their own salaries too. I'm yet to hear any rational support for the "Put up your own money" argument. They keep repeating it nonetheless.

Many recreational golfers bet with their own money...for once, many would like to see how the pros act when their own money is on the line. Anyone who plays golf (and bets) knows there is a massive difference between playing for someone else's money (ie. member/guest, charity event) and your own wallet.

Golfers don't want bifurcation because we want to play the same "game" as the pros (silly, imho, as they play a completely different game!)...so for a change, we would like the see the pros play the same game as us.

PS. Give me a rational reason why I'm not paid to volunteer at Riviera every year...what other business gets free labor! They could easily cut the purse by 20% and pay the volunteers - and the golfers would still make plenty of money.

Free.Market.

Whos forcing you at gunpoint to volunteer? you love it because you get to watch a tourney in your back yard for free and sometimes rub elbows with pros and get some swag.Pretty simple. Also tons of corporations and small businesses have unpaid internships...

The whole mic'd up thing just never delivers in any sport. We've seen it in football, hockey, and baseball and you rarely hear anything that's even remotely entertaining. It's a shame, because you know there is some good stuff being said out there. Maybe players are a little more reserved when they know they're mic'd up or maybe the networks can't air 95% of what is said because it isn't PG. But in any case, it always seems to be a flop.

I agree, in football you at least get some moments where the guy gets caught up in the heat of the moment and says something without realizing he's mic'd, those moments are less frequent in golf except for the occasional f bomb. For some reason they were very reserved during the Match, Phil's brother even joked that he was whispering profanities so they didn't get picked up on mic and that he wanted to use profanity once, he didn't seem to understand why they weren't since it was PPV, Phil told him not to. .

cant replicate the adrenaline from something like this

tumblr_milepzNVpi1renuivo1_500.gif

e5e483e90c133859af7a40fe122ad98c.gif

I dont think Tiger took this too serious. he was getting lite walking up to the first hole.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Anyone know if you've got to proactively claim the refund or if they're just issuing to those who paid?

I have COX and I received an email - said it would be an "account refund" within the next two bills.....

Cobra LTDx LS (10.5°)

Titleist TS2 (15°)

TaylorMade r9 (19°)

Cleveland 588 MB (4-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM8 (52° & 58°)

Odyssey Black #2m CS

I have COX and I received an email - said it would be an "account refund" within the next two bills.....

I bought via the bleacher report app on my fire tv box, haven't seen anything yet

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

The whole mic'd up thing just never delivers in any sport. We've seen it in football, hockey, and baseball and you rarely hear anything that's even remotely entertaining. It's a shame, because you know there is some good stuff being said out there. Maybe players are a little more reserved when they know they're mic'd up or maybe the networks can't air 95% of what is said because it isn't PG. But in any case, it always seems to be a flop.

I agree, in football you at least get some moments where the guy gets caught up in the heat of the moment and says something without realizing he's mic'd, those moments are less frequent in golf except for the occasional f bomb. For some reason they were very reserved during the Match, Phil's brother even joked that he was whispering profanities so they didn't get picked up on mic and that he wanted to use profanity once, he didn't seem to understand why they weren't since it was PPV, Phil told him not to. .

Lol! Poor Gary Danielson getting tossed around like a rag doll!

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Nice LT footage!

That linebacker crew could take down a Mack Truck

tumblr_nmvx2xp9yL1qhkbk8o1_400.gif

As far as mic up football players.

Half the phrases would contain the word "mama". And you can guess what the other key word in the phrase would be ; )

Im a fan and cheerleader.

But dont think that you or cr have some exclusive insight into TWs faults and declining skills.

Maybe you shelter yourself by not "cheerleading" so you arent let down when he does not perform. But, I can assure you that I am fully cognizant of his weaknesses and frustrated when we see...he just aint "that guy" anymore.

As are the rest of us 'cheerleaders'

Bottom line,

TW kicked @ss this year.

Hope you enjoyed it ; )

Don't think me or CR ever claimed to have exclusive insight into Tiger's declining mental strength. However, there are still those who don't see it despite all the evidence in front of them - suspect a lot of these are the same people who still think Tiger can somehow win 5 more majors from age 43 upwards despite not even winning 1 for 11 years.

This post would have been so Cool in standard Helvetica font.

Cool story, bro. I do like the avatar though, love Radiohead.

1000 % my thoughts ^^.

Being a fan but not cheering has to be a diagnosable disorder . To each their own. But just seems quite strange to claim to be a fan of anything. And yet not be a supporter. I get it if its the Cleveland Browns. At some point you have to go nuts and rebuild . But I see it in college football a lot. Tennessee and Florida fans are prime examples. Don't contend for an sec title. You're fired. Let's not think about the fact that the revolving coach door is what kills recruiting. And recruiting is what wins championships.

Point being. If this year wasn't an amazing success for a 40 something coming off back fusion I don't know what could be. Pointing out rough edges or inconsistencies compared to the success of this year is a bit like complaining that the 4 ct diamond you just found in the couch cushions " Isn't quite clear ". For Pete's sakes. At some point you're either a fan or you're not. If this year wasn't a success in your mind , you can't really call yourself " fan " anymore. You're downgraded to " pessimistic former fan ".

That's not saying we can't discuss things that. An be improved. But while doing that the present success must be celebrated as well. That's something I've yet to hear from any of the pseudo fans . Mysteriously quiet they were during Eastlake. Only to reappear after the Ryder cup. Coincidence? Nope.

"Being a fan but not cheering has to be a diagnosable disorder". Good grief, what a hyperbolic way to start a post. :taunt:

Maybe there is a semantic difference between the UK and the US in the definition of "cheerleader", but over here a fan would be regarded as a supporter of an individual or team, but still able to criticise or be disappointed when they don't live up to expectations or show weakness in certain aspects of their performance, without them being a "hater" etc. A cheerleader is seen as sycophant who claims that everything is fine and dandy no matter how their performer(s) is doing, and thinks that any criticism leveled must come from a place of hate from someone who wants them to fail.

Is like this,

TW cant beat the young guns. His time is passed

Oh, well, he came in 20th. Folded on Saturday as I thought he would.

Yes, well, he came in 2nd, but his mental state is weak. He folded on Sunday, just as I thought he would.

<TW wins>

I have to go fishing in Madagascar.

; )

Not really. For one thing I didn't say in any of my posts that Tiger has choked in every single tournament he's contended in since 2009. But if you saw a golfer fall down the leaderboard at crucial times on numerous occasions over a number of years and then they finally won one, you couldn't use the one win to say that he's not susceptible to choking under pressure and ignore the far more frequent amount of times when this is exactly what's happened.

Ok with how thrilling this event was I thought of a couple more. If there are any program directors out there, just send me a PM and we can talk.

Smylie Kaufman v. Stephen Bowditch "The quest for 79"

John Daly v. Andrew "Beef" Johnson "Drunk and Drunker"

Greg Norman v. Brandle Chamblee "No I hate Tiger more"

Brandle Chamblee v Peter Jacobson "At least they aren't commentating" - assuming you don't mic up the players

Cantlay v Day "While we're young"

Tiger rings Greg Norman's doorbell, Greg is running to the door - running! Of course, he may open it and be naked, because he is that weird, just to show Tiger how fit he is. Tiger can fill him in on all those Masters wins, tease him and make him think when Tiger servers dinner in 2020 he'll offer up some of Greg's wine - of course, the wine will make all the past champions choke, except for Jack because Norman can't get the better of him at Augusta National.

A cheerleader is seen as sycophant who claims that everything is fine and dandy no matter how their performer(s) is doing, and thinks that any criticism leveled must come from a place of hate from someone who wants them to fail.

Wrong. A 'cheerleader is someone who cheers on their favorite player regardless of what obstacles they're required to overcome. Where you and Helvetica (among others) have it wrong is that 'cheerleaders' are not blind to the obstacles. We actually have a better understanding of Tiger's obstacles than you do simply because we follow him so closely and don't twist realties to suit a bias. You speak of 'mental strength' and yet the mental strength required by Tiger to overcome all of his physical injuries including the self inflicted injuries that were played out in public is UNFATHOMABLE. There is no one in any sport that could have survived even half of what he went through and had the year he had in 2018. Therefore whenever someone mentions mental strength, we can't help but laugh. The only thing any REAL Tiger fan is concerned about is his health. If he has that, we know he has the mental strength and determination to put the rest into place. And the only fact that truly exists is that he did. With a healthy back he's almost worked his way back. 'Almost' being the key word. He will be even better in 2019. New swing will be grooved and the rust will be completely knocked off. It's really suspect when someone speaks about his 2018 finishes as if he was in top form from the get go...because if he was, then I would entertain the mental aspect.

P.S.