Cobra's new King F9 Speedback Driver, Woods, Hybrids and Irons (NO BUY SELL TRADE POSTS)

GolfWRX

Playing mine 2 inches short I need to add 16 grams to play it D-3 and 43.5”. 8 grams per inch.

That’s a lot of weight to play around with.

I’m going with the 18 gram weight in front instead of the 14, leave the standard 2 in the back, and then add the other 12 grams in lead tape low and forward in the heel area to give it just a hint of draw bias and hopefully shave a couple hundred more RPMs off with all that extra weight low and forward.

That’s a ton of weight. Be sure and tip your shaft another 1”.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Is the Tour version a 440cc head? Says on a website in the UK it is...... unless its a mistake, on the specifications table at the bottom.

https://www.golfonli...-king-f9-driver

they are confused/it's a typo. there is no "tour" or + version this year as supposedly the 9° head serves as that purpose. seems they got "tour" confused with "tour length" which just comes in at 44.5" as opposed to the stock 45.5" length but with a heavier weight insert to bring the SW back up.

I hit the driver and fairway today at PGASS. Almost just bought them right there. They look awesome, and I was getting up to 290 with the driver and 265 with the 3 wood. That's 10 yards farther than anything I've hit. Sound and feel are just perfect. Powerful feel, very solid.

Going to wait for the Mizunos, but I don't see anything beating these for me.

I hit the TS Black stiff in both.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

I hit the driver and fairway today at PGASS. Almost just bought them right there. They look awesome, and I was getting up to 290 with the driver and 265 with the 3 wood. That's 10 yards farther than anything I've hit. Sound and feel are just perfect. Powerful feel, very solid.

What shaft did you hit?

Does anyone have experience with the TS black & the smoke? If so, how do they differ? Which one did you like better?

I’m still in love with my LTD, but after reading all the glowing reviews on the F9 it’s got me hankering to give it a whirl.

CP

Stealth Plus 9*  Ventus Blue Velocore 6X
Callaway epic flash 15* 2KXV Blue 7X
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75X
Miura MB001 4-PW KBS Tour X +1/2"
RTX Zipcore raw 52/56 mid

Vokey 60* M Grind
Bettinardi BB8W 

Playing mine 2 inches short I need to add 16 grams to play it D-3 and 43.5”. 8 grams per inch.

That’s a lot of weight to play around with.

I’m going with the 18 gram weight in front instead of the 14, leave the standard 2 in the back, and then add the other 12 grams in lead tape low and forward in the heel area to give it just a hint of draw bias and hopefully shave a couple hundred more RPMs off with all that extra weight low and forward.

That’s a ton of weight. Be sure and tip your shaft another 1”.

It does indeed soften the shaft.

The amount extra I tip depends on the particular shaft and how stiff I want it to play. I usually do tip an extra half inch on a stock “X” shaft. I don’t tip any extra with a TX shaft because I just don’t want them super stiff.

When I play my drivers at 43.5” I am essentially just making a 1/2 inch oversized 3 wood that happens to have a driver head on it. After adding weight to it, the driver head only ends up weighing a few grams less than most 3 wood heads.

I use the same principle as When you “make” a 3 wood from scratch. Manufacturers generally suggest You tip the shaft just a half inch more than you would for using it as a driver shaft.

I also play my 3 wood an inch short of standard and add 8 grams and tip it an extra 1/2 inch. Same with the 5 wood and hybrid.

Ok everyone. I got a Very odd email back from Cobra today about wanting a 9 degree Tour length F9. I want a Tour length that I will then shorten another 1 inch myself. I really just want the Heavier weights in it.

CS Rep confirmed the stupidity that you can’t order one. You must order a 9 “custom” at -1 inch. Here’s the kicker....according to this response they will NOT use the heavier weights to get the swingweight back up, they will use hotmelt.

Here’s the email:

Thank you for contacting Cobra Puma Golf!

Unfortunately we are not offering the 9 degree head with the specific tour length weights. However, you can order the 9 degree driver at -1" short and then our production team will be able to build the driver to the same length as this option. Our production team will always build a club as close as possible to the stock swing weight listed. They would then build the driver and add weight inside the head to get the swing weight closer to the stock D3 swing weight.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions and we would be happy to help.

Thank you,

Peter

——————-

I sent a response saying that I wanted the heavier weights and I know they are going to sell them as an aftermarket accessory. Why can’t I get the club with the weights already in it? I’ll post the response when I get it.

What shaft did you hit?

Does anyone have experience with the TS black & the smoke? If so, how do they differ? Which one did you like better?

I’m still in love with my LTD, but after reading all the glowing reviews on the F9 it’s got me hankering to give it a whirl.

CP

I have a TS Black in another club and a Smoke in the F9. Not a huge difference really. I would say the Atmos is a bit more stable through the full swing but again we're talking different heads. When I tried the F9 in a LM indoors I demoed both shafts and I didn't see much difference at all. The Atmos did not feel as stout as my original TS. Neither are tipped and could be the Cobra adapter makes it feel this way. Only thing you can do is try them both and see what you like.

What shaft did you hit?

CP

I have a TS Black in another club and a Smoke in the F9. Not a huge difference really. I would say the Atmos is a bit more stable through the full swing but again we're talking different heads. When I tried the F9 in a LM indoors I demoed both shafts and I didn't see much difference at all. The Atmos did not feel as stout as my original TS. Neither are tipped and could be the Cobra adapter makes it feel this way. Only thing you can do is try them both and see what you like.

10-4. Thanks a lot

Stealth Plus 9*  Ventus Blue Velocore 6X
Callaway epic flash 15* 2KXV Blue 7X
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75X
Miura MB001 4-PW KBS Tour X +1/2"
RTX Zipcore raw 52/56 mid

Vokey 60* M Grind
Bettinardi BB8W 

Ok everyone. I got a Very odd email back from Cobra today about wanting a 9 degree Tour length F9. I want a Tour length that I will then shorten another 1 inch myself. I really just want the Heavier weights in it.

CS Rep confirmed the stupidity that you can’t order one. You must order a 9 “custom” at -1 inch. Here’s the kicker....according to this response they will NOT use the heavier weights to get the swingweight back up, they will use hotmelt.

Here’s the email:

Unfortunately we are not offering the 9 degree head with the specific tour length weights. However, you can order the 9 degree driver at -1" short and then our production team will be able to build the driver to the same length as this option. Our production team will always build a club as close as possible to the stock swing weight listed. They would then build the driver and add weight inside the head to get the swing weight closer to the stock D3 swing weight.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions and we would be happy to help.

Thank you,

Peter

——————-

I sent a response saying that I wanted the heavier weights and I know they are going to sell them as an aftermarket accessory. Why can’t I get the club with the weights already in it? I’ll post the response when I get it.

Mine is coming with the stock 14g and 2g plus an extra 6g, free of charge.

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Piretti Savona 

Wanted to chime in on the F9 with a short term mini review. Got mine out today at the range then on for 9 holes. I am comparing it to my gamer Ping G400 LST 8.5 with Tour AD BB 7s that is tipped 1". I have played that driver for over a year but had brief stints with an M3 and my previous gamer was an M2. I have played all my drivers at 44.5" for a while now but this Cobra is 45.75" so a big difference. I swing around 98-100 and have gotten to 104 recently on a monitor but that doesn't happen much. Smooth swing is probably 97-98.

This driver is the 9* yellow head and has the Smoke 6.0 stock from Cobra. I got it from another great WRXer. I have demoed the heads at PGA SS and tried all the shafts. As I state above, didn't see a difference between the Atmos and Smoke in testing. Also I have an Atmos black TS I could put a tip on and go so this worked perfectly for me.

Looks: Love the look of this head. Coming from a Ping, it doesn't seem busy at all out in the sun. I haven't seen the white matte head in person but I think I prefer the gloss in the pictures I have seen. This head sits a tad open at STD and I tried lowering the loft and upping the loft without seeing any real changes in face angle. Not sure how Cobra does it but this is something I notice so being able to adjust loft and not see huge differences is great.

Sound: This threw me off. I was expecting more sound or a louder sound from this head. It is very muted. A very solid thwack sound. Very much like it has been hot melted. I checked the head weight and its only at 196 grams so I don't think there is any more than normal in there. I haven't heard the new M5 but this is on the opposite end of the spectrum from the obnoxious Flash.

Feel: Never really tried the F8 but the F9 feels like a forged club. Very soft and that also threw me off. The head doesn't feel hot. Balls get out there with the Ping and maybe a bit further. The sound could also be a contributing factor here. That milled face is definitely different. You definitely know when you toe one or heel one. Pured shots feel better than any driver I have every tired.

Flight: This 9* head launches a bit lower than my Ping LST. Fight is flatter too. Don't have any spin numbers, just observations from the range and on course. I don't feel like this head is ultra low spin but its not a high spin either. Ultimately I feel its is a bit lower spin than my Ping. The club is easier to turn over than the Ping as well. A normal swing with the Cobra is a flat tight draw and with my Ping it is a slight fade. Even so, it seems that it is easier to hook the Ping for me because I have to try and turn it over. This leads me to get my hands active and bad things happen. Knowing I now have a stock draw with the Cobra is nice. I can move the head right as well. While on the range, I tried different configs and settled on the STD setting. I could see difference in flight but stock works for me. I also tried both weight forward and rear. I settled on rear before going out on course. With cold range balls, this worked better. Once on course after a few holes, I decided to switch the weights. This ended up being much better for me. The club felt more solid and I could see a much better flight.

Forgiveness: One more surprise. I still have a good bit of testing to do but for my swing, this head is more forgiving than my Ping. The LST head is the least forgiving G400 but it was more forgiving for me than my M3 or M2. When I was on the range and I hit a toe shot or heel shot, I thought it would not be better than the Ping. The Ping feels hotter when struck in these areas. Once I got it out on the course though I had a few shots struck on the toe that felt terrible but when I got to the ball I was pleasantly surprised at the distance. One caveat here is the club length. I am swinging a club that is 1.25" longer than the Ping so that extra distance could be coming here. Even so, I felt much more comfortable swinging the longer Cobra than I do the Ping or TM at that length. I will not make any snap judgements on distance. This club was longer today for me but not by much. The ground is wet here in GA and the temps were mid 40s with a good breeze. There is potential though because I feel I can swing a longer club and have it be just as consistent and forgiving.

Glad I was able to snag this club off the BST. Over the years I have found so many winners in LMs that sucked on course. I have now gotten to the point where I will not buy a club until I am able to see it on the range at a minimum. I took a flyer here but it may end up being worth it. Normally if I get a new driver and I am immediately enamored, it s a short lived relationship. The M3 was this way. Great distance initially but just wasn't consistent for me like the Ping. When I get one that I am iffy about, I seem to grow into it. This may be the Cobra. I am not over the moon for this club yet but there are some very positive things so I am going to give this one a good bit of time to win me completely over.

Went Saturday and looked at the F9. Took it out of the demo bag and said no thanks. Top looked fugly. Raining last few days so I went again to steal some monitor time and ended up hitting all the new drivers. Thought well should try the f9 just to see. Wow solid and had that old school sound I have been looking for. I tried adding ten pounds of hotmelt to my G30 to quit it down. No luck. F9 has that old school Taylormade sound/feel with a touch of melt. Great shots with the Atmos but lets try the other shafts. The smoke was close but the other were off, you know that bad swing we all have where you go uh oh, some of the shafts really show the bad ones. I gave the Atmos back to the guy to reinstall and Sh$t this shaft is the same. Misses are just to bad. I look at him and I go I guess I am swinging bad. He said no you had the black in there before. I had no idea they looked so similar. He installed the black and BOOOM baby. That shaft just fits me. I went in to practice and I walked out a little poorer but with a shiny new toy. Dont judge a book buy its cover...

F9 9 degree Diamana white.  70G
Epic SZ 15 degree Diamana white 70G
M3 19 Hyrbrid Diamana white 90G
R11 7 wood Fuji something old school
4-pw J40 CB Modus 130 S
52,56,60 DD scratch 8810
Pointy looking thing. 
Srixon Z star

Went Saturday and looked at the F9. Took it out of the demo bag and said no thanks. Top looked fugly. Raining last few days so I went again to steal some monitor time and ended up hitting all the new drivers. Thought well should try the f9 just to see. Wow solid and had that old school sound I have been looking for. I tried adding ten pounds of hotmelt to my G30 to quit it down. No luck. F9 has that old school Taylormade sound/feel with a touch of melt. Great shots with the Atmos but lets try the other shafts. The smoke was close but the other were off, you know that bad swing we all have where you go uh oh, some of the shafts really show the bad ones. I gave the Atmos back to the guy to reinstall and Sh$t this shaft is the same. Misses are just to bad. I look at him and I go I guess I am swinging bad. He said no you had the black in there before. I had no idea they looked so similar. He installed the black and BOOOM baby. That shaft just fits me. I went in to practice and I walked out a little poorer but with a shiny new toy. Dont judge a book buy its cover...

I had to re-read the second half of this and still can’t follow what you were trying to say about the shafts??‍♂️

Piretti Savona 

I had to re-read the second half of this and still can’t follow what you were trying to say about the shafts??‍♂️

I will translate:

When he hit the Atmos a second time he was actually hitting the Blue Atmos by accident and hated it.

When he realized this and put the black Atmos back in it, it was like an instant love connection and he ended up buying it.

Here’s the email:

Thank you,

Peter

——————-

Shocking! Page 1 of the thread the F9 was hideous. Now you’re buying one? LOL!

Best fairways I’ve ever hit and that’s saying something. I dint care what’s on the top, nor what color(s) are on the bottom. Can’t neasure either of those on a trackman. And neither effects the flight of the ball. I’m guessing you figured that out.

Here’s the email:

Thank you,

Peter

——————-

Best fairways I’ve ever hit and that’s saying something. I dint care what’s on the top, nor what color(s) are on the bottom. Can’t neasure either of those on a trackman. And neither effects the flight of the ball. I’m guessing you figured that out.

Hahahaha! Yes! I know. I still hate the look of it. It is a freaking hideous beast! But I really like the sound and the feel of it. The reviews are great.

I will have to try and overcome it’s grotesque appearance and make myself get over it I guess. If it performs I will learn to love it like a precious deformed baby.

Any new info regarding the new wedges coming?

I, too, am intrigued on this. I have read that they only come in silver / chrome finish I believe in the "Cobra '19" thread. That is a deal breaker for me. Black or raw only for me for wedge heads. I would like to read more on them before I go "Full WRX" and dismiss a product before I see it.

I’ve only ever had luck with low spin drivers and I’m still on the fence if this would suit my game. Unfortunately I have no way of hitting either prior to buying so I would be ordering blindly.

What’s your favorite drivers? Of the low spin type?

My favourites based on what Ive had were the BS J40 440 and the Callaway Optiforce 440.

Took the f9 out to demo. The sound and feel are amazing. When I hit a good one it was just as long as any driver I have hit. I was not a fan of the atmos black shaft and on the fence with the yellow. Just saw the white in person and it looks great. Then my buddy tells me that the evenflow white is no upcharge. Might have to see if any stores have the shaft to try and order one.

Here’s the email:

Thank you,

Peter

——————-

Hahahaha! Yes! I know. I still hate the look of it. It is a freaking hideous beast! But I really like the sound and the feel of it. The reviews are great.

I will have to try and overcome it’s grotesque appearance and make myself get over it I guess. If it performs I will learn to love it like a precious deformed baby.

I love my hideous deformed baby beast!!

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

I had to re-read the second half of this and still can't follow what you were trying to say about the shafts‍♂️

Sorry was drinking. Atmos has red, blue, and black. Accidently installed blue thinking it was the same black shaft I had tried earlier. The shaft is all black except the bubbles on top.

F9 9 degree Diamana white.  70G
Epic SZ 15 degree Diamana white 70G
M3 19 Hyrbrid Diamana white 90G
R11 7 wood Fuji something old school
4-pw J40 CB Modus 130 S
52,56,60 DD scratch 8810
Pointy looking thing. 
Srixon Z star

Here’s the email:

Thank you,

Peter

——————-

3w is a challenge for me as well - cannot find one that suits - playing a fusion 3w, but hated epic, rogue, f8, m3/4, g400......hopeful on the m5 and this f9 - why the f9?

I’ve only ever had luck with low spin drivers and I’m still on the fence if this would suit my game. Unfortunately I have no way of hitting either prior to buying so I would be ordering blindly.

What’s your favorite drivers? Of the low spin type?

My favourites based on what Ive had were the BS J40 440 and the Callaway Optiforce 440.

With the weight adjustments you can make this low spin I think it will be an awesome driver this year especially with the rest of the field increasing their prices so this sits on the next tier down but with real deal shafts and lots of options

Under construction....

Just ordered a white/black one of these owing to the rave views, recently i have only had Taylormade or Ping drivers but i think the F9 is well worth a look. Rick Shiels seems to think this is the driver to beat in 2019 so hopefully will be here next week and i can feedback my opinion.....

I really hope Cobra slid Rick about $10,000 under the table for that caption. Dude has sold a LOT of drivers for them with one review and some questionable wording.

He hadn’t even tested any other 2019 models yet when he posted that caption.. LOLOLOL! Of course the F9 is “the one to beat” so far. How could it not be?

Edit....Oops! Just went to his channel. I guess he has tested some other ‘19 brands. My mistake. Sorry!