- Lawyers (a deal is a deal)

- his friends

- never worked in the service industry

- bad tippers themselves

- Warren Buffett followers

People who are pro Tucan:

- always root for the underdog

- have worked for tips before

- shell out the difference whenever a group is going Dutch at dinner and the bill is short

- have lived paycheck to paycheck before

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Again compare this thread to the original, where those defending Tucan were often heckled, ridiculed, referred to as SJW amongst others. Good old Chamblee weighed in about "no one knowing the truth" and his wonderful article. Gillis was vilified along "Mr. Plaid Shorts"...... And of course the "tough luck", "buyer beware", that's capitalism crowd who were all over the original thread.

And reading 23 pages we (unscientific of course) now have 80% "siding" with Tucan and still a few holding on to Kuch couldn't possibly do anything wrong, "we still don't know the real story"......

I’ve voiced my opinions and vowed to just read from now on, but.....

Would you please cease with the rhetoric of people saying “Kuch couldn’t possibly do anything wrong”. No one has said that. Plenty of people have simply addressed the fact that soemthing should have been defined earlier, and plenty have also said they think he should have given more, while still defending his right to give what he chose. There’s been no indication of a “holier than though” theme about him.

So why don’t you stop with that crap.

What "crap"...... The first cycle plenty were pretty damn adament that Kuch was 100% in the right & did nothing wrong.

How about you go back & count how many posts referred to Kuch's character, charity work, honour...... Even better count how many posts lambasted Gill & Mr. Plaid Shorts.

This time it is a completely different tone to the thread.

My take:

People who are pro Kuch:

- his friends

- bad tippers themselves

- shell out the difference whenever a group is going Dutch at dinner and the bill is short

You’ve left out snowflakes and SJWs ?

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

My take:

People who are pro Kuch:

- his friends

- bad tippers themselves

I’m a great tipper, but count me as someone who is on the fence. I’d like to know what kind of guy Tucan is before I judge Kuchar. If I was him and I felt stiffed but had no contractual recourse I would just keep it to myself.

Re: Was the caddie happy at first, agreed to the "$5k regardless" then whoops, Kuchar wins. And then reading all the social media warriors out there - over multiple months - he *then* decided it wasnt enough?

This makes the most sense knowing what we know.

So are you saying El Tucan is lying? Because that's not at all what has been reported.

"Ortiz said he and Kuchar had an agreement for $3,000 plus an unspecified amount of the player's winnings. He was disappointed when he counted $5,000 in the envelope Kuchar handed him that Sunday night."

https://www.golfdige...en-advantage-of

Lying? Maybe a bit harsh...how about redefining the truth? It sure looks like a case of "what a dummy I am" after all the social media attention, and now he regrets. Maybe he was "disappointed" because he had some high hopes, but not because Matt necessarily breached an agreement. Local caddies for that event probably hang around hoping to get a loop and when they do they feel "jackpot" as it sure beats $100 / day. And they likely further dream of "what if my guy wins?!?", but it is such fantasy they don't even think of things like iron clad agreement, they just throw it all to fate. So yes, Tucan's dream of opening a laundromat may have been shattered with only $5K in the envelope. The thing is, he didn't have to paint the house...$5K goes a long way to opening a laundromat in Mexico.

El Tucan explicitly said he and Kuchar had an agreement of $3,000 + some percentage of any winnings. And he was disappointed immediately upon seeing just a $2,000 bonus on top of the $3,000.

He never "agreed to $5k regardless" according to him - - - that was just something thrown out there in a quote above.

At the end of the day, unless El Tucan is lying (in which case it seems like Kuchar would have stood up and disagreed by now to defend his reputation), Kuchar gave a $2,000 bonus/tip on a $1,296,000 win.

You can try to rationalize it by saying there was no specific percentage agreed to prior to the win, so Kuchar is somehow exempt from tipping decently. But either way, the obvious truth that hasn't changed during all of this is that $2,000 is a very small bonus on a $1,296,000 win.

Approximate standard tip/bonus to full time caddie on $1,296,000 win: $129,600 or 10%

Tip to temporary fill in El Tucan on $1,296,000 win: $2,000 or .15%

The numbers don't lie. That's a $127,600 difference. A 98% decrease.

Some people call that being extremely cheap to your caddie/El Tucan. Others try to make excuses for it by appealing to a lack of a specific agreement on the percentage, as if that supersedes a hundred years of caddie tipping standards. It's very binary at this point.

I'm obviously in the camp that says a $2,000 tip on $1,296,000 is just plainly pitiful and cheap.

Again compare this thread to the original, where those defending Tucan were often heckled, ridiculed, referred to as SJW amongst others. Good old Chamblee weighed in about "no one knowing the truth" and his wonderful article. Gillis was vilified along "Mr. Plaid Shorts"...... And of course the "tough luck", "buyer beware", that's capitalism crowd who were all over the original thread.

And reading 23 pages we (unscientific of course) now have 80% "siding" with Tucan and still a few holding on to Kuch couldn't possibly do anything wrong, "we still don't know the real story"......

I’ve voiced my opinions and vowed to just read from now on, but.....

Would you please cease with the rhetoric of people saying “Kuch couldn’t possibly do anything wrong”. No one has said that. Plenty of people have simply addressed the fact that soemthing should have been defined earlier, and plenty have also said they think he should have given more, while still defending his right to give what he chose. There’s been no indication of a “holier than though” theme about him.

So why don’t you stop with that crap.

What "crap"...... The first cycle plenty were pretty damn adament that Kuch was 100% in the right & did nothing wrong.

How about you go back & count how many posts referred to Kuch's character, charity work, honour...... Even better count how many posts lambasted Gill & Mr. Plaid Shorts.

This time it is a completely different tone to the thread.

The posts blasting Gillis and plaid shorts are still spot on. It was still none of their damn business. Period!!

The fact that this thread may or may not have a different tone (and I’ll agree with you that it appears to be true) doesn’t change the fact of what I posted. Find and quote a post that says “Kuch couldn’t possibly do anything wrong”. That’s you exaggerating and creating to try and bolster your opinion. And it’s crap.

There are numerous people here who aren’t condemning him to be tarred and feathered (remeber the vile and disgusting comments) who aren’t extolling his virtues either.

I'm obviously in the camp that says a $2,000 tip on $1,296,000 is just plainly pitiful and cheap.

I don't think anyone would disagree it's being cheap. (Has anyone actually said it isn't?). It plainly is.

Conversely I'd hope you'd agree (maybe not IDK) that all the pitchfork stuff is OTT and that the posturing 3rd party busy bodies are acting like ambulance chasing/class action late-night TV lawyers.

The agreed upon base tournament rate was actually over and above what others have paid and would be expected, apparently.

The problem is that post-victory middle ground. What's the over/under (25k 50k 75k) on Kuch not being cheap?

I mentioned it earlier, Kuch donated $25k to a charity once and people were quick to jump on how 'little' that was in the context of a rich golfer. So that seems to make 25k too low, maybe 50k was the good number?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Sometimes it’s what the person does when confronted by this . For Matt it was to say “ This is not a story” and than say it was “ more than $3,000 but less than 10%”. I don’t know if that’s really owning up to much. Overall people are pretty good judges of character and I think this just rubs many of us the wrong way. If your one of the people who feels it was ok than so be it.

I don't think anyone would disagree it's being cheap. (Has anyone actually said it isn't?). It plainly is.

Conversely I'd hope you'd agree (maybe not IDK) that all the pitchfork stuff is OTT and that the posturing 3rd party busy bodies are acting like ambulance chasing/class action late-night TV lawyers.

The agreed upon base tournament rate was actually over and above what others have paid and would be expected, apparently.

The problem is that post-victory middle ground. What's the over/under (25k 50k 75k) on Kuch not being cheap?

I mentioned it earlier, Kuch donated $25k to a charity once and people were quick to jump on how 'little' that was in the context of a rich golfer. So that seems to make 25k too low, maybe 50k was the good number?

Maybe that would make a good poll, what would people consider fair? $15,000, 25,000, 50,000, more?

Sometimes it's what the person does when confronted by this . For Matt it was to say " This is not a story" and than say it was " more than $3,000 but less than 10%". I don't know if that's really owning up to much. Overall people are pretty good judges of character and I think this just rubs many of us the wrong way. If your one of the people who feels it was ok than so be it.

Oh sure. Definitely that was a very passive aggressive way to say none of your business and how is this a thing for me - and it obviously didn't help him.

That said I really think there are two items everyone could agree upon: the $2k was 'cheap' and Gillis is a dbag :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Sometimes it's what the person does when confronted by this . For Matt it was to say " This is not a story" and than say it was " more than $3,000 but less than 10%". I don't know if that's really owning up to much. Overall people are pretty good judges of character and I think this just rubs many of us the wrong way. If your one of the people who feels it was ok than so be it.

Oh sure. Definitely that was a very passive aggressive way to say none of your business and how is this a thing for me - and it obviously didn't help him.

That said I really think there are two items everyone could agree upon: the $2k was 'cheap' and Gillis is a dbag :)

24 pages and you summed them all up in one line! Well done.

My take:

People who are pro Kuch:

- his friends

- bad tippers themselves

It might take years to figure out the meaning behind this post.

However - kudos on the bullets, rank and file with gross generalizations.

There have been numerous people on this thread who have refused to call it cheap. They avoid addressing it by trying to create scenarios and rationalizations like "well if there was no specific agreement prior to the week", "El Tucan should be happy with what he got because that's more than he makes in normal weeks", etc. They avoid giving an opinion on the $2,000 ($5k total) payout to El Tucan. I even asked one of them explicitly and he wouldn't answer the question of if he considered that an appropriate payment to El Tucan.

I agree some of the criticisms of Kuchar are probably over the top. But at the same time his lack of a decent tip is pretty egregious, imo. Especially for someone who thrives off of a nice guy image. Personally I care less about Kuchar (it'll work out regardless and El Tucan will come out well in the end). What I find annoying is that some people won't acknowledge the wrong. They do mental gymnastics and make excuses for Kuch and refuse to just call an obvious spade a spade.

A reasonable bonus by a vast majority of people's standards would have been anything between $40,000-$75,000. Or even something a little less or more than that.That's around 3%-6%.

That's obviously substantially less than his normal caddie would get (~10% or $129,600), but still a good amount for someone he called his lucky charm and credited with helping him get the crowd behind him.

But to pay just .38% of your total winnings to your caddie who you spoke highly of. . .seems unequivocally low.

There have been numerous people on this thread who have refused to call it cheap. They avoid addressing it by trying to create scenarios and rationalizations like "well if there was no specific agreement prior to the week", "El Tucan should be happy with what he got because that's more than he makes in normal weeks", etc. They avoid giving an opinion on the $2,000 ($5k total) payout to El Tucan. I even asked one of them explicitly and he wouldn't answer the question of if he considered that an appropriate payment to El Tucan.

I agree some of the criticisms of Kuchar are probably over the top. But at the same time his lack of a decent tip is pretty egregious, imo. Especially for someone who thrives off of a nice guy image. Personally I care less about Kuchar (it'll work out regardless and El Tucan will come out well in the end). What I find annoying is that some people won't acknowledge the wrong. They do mental gymnastics and make excuses for Kuch and refuse to just call an obvious spade a spade.

A reasonable bonus by a vast majority of people's standards would have been anything between $40,000-$75,000. Or even something a little less or more than that.That's around 3%-6%.

That's obviously substantially less than his normal caddie would get (~10% or $129,600), but still a good amount for someone he called his lucky charm and credited with helping him get the crowd behind him.

But to pay just .38% of your total winnings to your caddie who you spoke highly of. . .seems unequivocally low.

Yes, and how many times do you feel like you have to nail this point to the fora white space? I am pretty sure most here understand where you are come from even though you seem less likely to accept alternate views..

Besides, what does any Matt supporter here owe you? Just so you can sit aloft a righteous pillar? Please... Of course it was cheap,, now come down and stop meddling in others affairs...

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I’ve shared this story before, as it was told to me from a firsthand patron and observer. Ben and Jerry’s, Jacksonville, FL. Pete K. with his wife and the grand kids getting ice cream. He made a scene and told the attendant he waited too long to be served - ended up paying for only one cone after getting four cones.

What more do we need to hear?

Thing is you are not talking about a Tip. ​To me you are talking about what share of the winnings he is entitled to. If we are talking a Tip getting $2K tip for $3K of work is HUGE! The 67% that is huge. For most of us, if the owner of our company had a great year and they decided to pay 67% more that what they owed us, we would think that was great.

Maybe that would make a good poll, what would people consider fair? $15,000, 25,000, 50,000, more?

That would be impossible to answer unless you’re Kuchar. Only he really knows how the caddy performed and my guess is if the guy was terrible Kuchar wouldn’t come out and say that. Especially now.

While I agree that it did not have to be the usual 10% caddie cut, I do believe that all of this should’ve been spoken to and agreed upon PRIOR to Kuchar hitting his first shot on Thursday. This is the Player’s responsibility, and circus atmosphere, foreign country or whatever other excuses can be used, Kuchar is a seasoned Pro, not some bewildered rookie, hahaha. In leu of this, which obviously did not occur, the fact that he was not his regular caddie is irrelevant as far as I’m concerned, especially when Kuchar did not work this out before hand.

The usual scale is 10%, 7% & 5% for anything inside the cut-line. So Kuchar didn’t feel that 10% was appropriate, and as has been pointed out, there really was no precedent, so this being “virgin” territory, Kuchar had the opportunity to step up, set the precedent and pay his caddy appropriately, say, the 5% “field fee,” which would have been $60,000. It was brought up in our club that Kuchar didn’t expect to win, so he didn’t think to bring the subject. This is as weak as all of the other excuses. He had as late as Sunday morning, when he knew exactly where he stood, to broach the subject. Not settling the compensation up prior, I can see where his caddie was shell shocked with the $3000 check. Yes, I do agree that his turning down the $15,000 later offered was a foolish ego driven move, when the man has a wife and children who could’ve used that money, even if he could not, which we all know is not true.

So while Matt Kuchar may not be in the list of the top-10 least popular pros with his howdie dudie smile, he most definitely lost an opportunity to separate himself from the sheep that Richard speaks of, and to in fact set a positive precedent for others to follow in the future, instead of setting a precedent on how to NOT handle the situation. As has also been mentioned, sheep don’t lead and most definitely don’t set positive precedents :) M

Nikegal

Well said .

That would be impossible to answer unless you're Kuchar. Only he really knows how the caddy performed and my guess is if the guy was terrible Kuchar wouldn't come out and say that. Especially now.

Kuch hasn't won for 4 years with a PGA Tour caddie

He uses tucan once and wins.

How bad could he be?

Clearly, he did a perfect job.

I think 20-30k bonus would have been solid. $hit, even give the guy a 10k bonus. Or freakin 5k.

But you give him 2k on a $1.3MM day?

How much less could you give him? 100 bucks? I bet if Kooch gave him nothing there would be some people out here saying,

You know, a hundy goes a long way in Mexico ; )

That would be impossible to answer unless you're Kuchar. Only he really knows how the caddy performed and my guess is if the guy was terrible Kuchar wouldn't come out and say that. Especially now.

How bad could he be?

I think 20-30k bonus would have been solid. $hit, even give the guy a 10k bonus. Or freakin 5k.

How much less could you give him? 100 bucks? I bet if Kooch gave him nothing there would be some people out here saying,

Maybe he was so bad it took Kuch’s mind off of his drought. Ha. Hey, who knows? What if the guy was always late? What if he had been drinking? There’s literally countless ways he could have done a poor job. I’m not dismissing that maybe he was awesome and Kuchar is a cheap jerk. But people are presuming way too much about this situation.

If this was the Price is Right I would bid a $1 as all the other options went over.

How bad could he be?

He did offer him $15K and he turned it down.

I never heard or paid attention to Gillis before this. He in fact may be the biggest douchebag to grace the face of the earth........

However what he did was expose what I and others consider an injustice....... If he didn't then Kuch would have gotten away with it.....

Kuch now also knows all the replacement caddies available on Golfwrx who stated they will carry his bag for less then $3,000 too!!!!

Yes, and how many times do you feel like you have to nail this point to the fora white space? I am pretty sure most here understand where you are come from even though you seem less likely to accept alternate views..

Besides, what does any Matt supporter here owe you? Just so you can sit aloft a righteous pillar? Please... Of course it was cheap,, now come down and stop meddling in others affairs...

It's not about me - - - it's about the truth! : )

And I can't help myself but reply when people still say things like "What if he agreed to a flat fee total of $5k and only changed his mind months later"? when we have direct quotes from El Tucan saying otherwise.

But I agree I beat the horse to death at this point and I will be (somewhat) quiet.