2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2019 Masters Tournament hosted by ANGC (merged)

gatorpedsMD

Second best Masters I have seen after 1986. Eerily similar. The greatest surges and all other top ranked contenders fall away. A little more exciting with Nicklaus going -7 on last 10 holes

Sounds like the announcers were saying 1986 was first, 1975 was second and 2019 rounded out the top 3

I was 8 in 1975 and wasn't a golfer for 5 more years

One last comment, #7 and #16 seem to be the easiest Sunday holes with the pins there collecting shots

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I disagree and am in the "iron play" camp. Sure he drove the ball pretty well, but he made quite a few big mistakes with the big stick through the week. Three times in the left bunker on 5, Twice in the bunker on 8, twice in the woods on 11 and on 14, almost out of play on 13 left. There are probably a few more instances where his driver either cost him, or really should have cost him. His iron play was on point all week long. He didn't take himself out of the tournament with the driver, but I would credit the win to the driver.

> @dropkicked said:

> > @BobMorris said:

> > > @dropkicked said:

> > > Molinari, has only made 1 bogey.. IIRC, hearing on GC that most recent winning total rounds were around 5-8... I say Molinari, lives up to those and makes at least 3-5 tomorrow.

> > > I can't find that bet through my online book, but would definitely make one..

> >

> > **You are either joking, or toking. No way that guy does anything tomorrow but play extremely solid golf. The guy is unflappable. He wins his 2nd major tomorrow.**

>

> ![](http://www.quickmeme.com/img/79/79bbef87c1ff942d20108b7c5de2595f78a46adda743f6c5f8710e8416f3cc04.jpg "")

>

> TIGER WINS HIS 5TH GREEN JACKET AND 15TH MAJOR

>

LMAO guess the matrix collapsed

For him keeping it in play most of the week kept him viable. He still put some in the trees and really lucked out on #13 Saturday hitting that tree and kicking it back out to the second cut.

His iron game was his biggest weapon overall.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @Nard_S said:

> @cardoustie said:

> > What an event!

> > Love that Jack was bonefishing - but he likely watched it all. He did say Tiger drove it great **all** day. Likely Johnny Miller was with him.

> > Tiger getting that massive break at 11, followed by Brooks and Moli blowing 12 completely flipped the event on its head. I can't believe both those guys did that, it the most talked about safe play in major golf (go over the bunker to the green's middle)

> > ((Tiger did get away with some very bad drives over the weekend - you can't deny that))

> > Molinari was also leaking a lot of oil (drives and approaches) well before he got to 12 and IMO was fortunate to be in the lead.

> > As Nicklaus said, from the 12th tee on Tiger hit every shot on point (i.e. once he smelled blood and saw an opportunity)

> > I never loved old Tiger. Too closed off and too arrogant. He seems to have come full circle after his "issues" and is much more enjoyable

> > I am one of the doubters that thought 18 was long gone. But after yesterday you have to think that certain majors (The Masters every year, certain Open venues where he can lean heavily on his iron game and places like Pebble for the US Open) will perhaps help him get to the mythical number

> > I still don't get where the supposed sub-air was for the final 2 rounds .....

> >

>

> Spot on.

>

> FM looked bullet proof on 1st nine with his short game but when Tiger lagged from yonder on #9, it was the first time I felt he had a great shot to win.

That was one of the best putts of Tiger's career. 70 footer to tap-in range on an extremely steep green where you could potentially putt it down the slope into the fairway. To get that ball into easy par range from that distance on those slopes with age 43 nerves? Pretty incredible.

• Like 1

> @redfirebird08 said:

> Iron play and course management were the primary keys for him. Didn't putt very well. Drove it very well at the end when he needed to (13, 14, 15, 17, 18...all good drives).

This^

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

Yesterday's Tiger was not that different. Young Tiger often had to claw and scratch to win, he didn't always obliterate the field, and often looked fallible. In 1999 at Medinah against Sergio he made a double bogey on the back nine. In 2001 against Phil at Augusta, he was on the 15th green in two on Sunday... and three-putted from very close range. Then inches away from losing to DiMarco on 18 in 2005. Young Tiger "won ugly" all the time.

• Like 1

I think that putt was even more incredible as the greens didn't have their usual fire in them. It looked short for a long part of that putt

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

> @legitimategolf said:

> Yesterday's Tiger was not that different. Young Tiger often had to claw and scratch to win, he didn't always obliterate the field, and often looked fallible. In 1999 at Medinah against Sergio he made a double bogey on the back nine. In 2001 against Phil at Augusta, he was on the 15th green in two on Sunday... and three-putted from very close range. Then inches away from losing to DiMarco on 18 in 2005. Young Tiger "won ugly" all the time.

Some of those ugly wins fueled some very dominant stretches of his career. 1999 PGA and 2005 Masters being perfect examples. At the time he won both of those, he had not won a major in a long time. (1997 Masters to 1999 PGA...2002 U.S. Open to 2005 Masters).

Amplify that by about a million in the case of this 2019 Masters. 11 years since his last major win and 14 years since the last green jacket. He did very well yesterday avoiding the big mistakes like the stuff we saw that killed him at Carnoustie last year. Strangely enough it was the Carnoustie machine Molinari who made the really big mistakes yesterday.

> @redfirebird08 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > @cardoustie said:

> > > What an event!

> > > Love that Jack was bonefishing - but he likely watched it all. He did say Tiger drove it great **all** day. Likely Johnny Miller was with him.

> > > Tiger getting that massive break at 11, followed by Brooks and Moli blowing 12 completely flipped the event on its head. I can't believe both those guys did that, it the most talked about safe play in major golf (go over the bunker to the green's middle)

> > > ((Tiger did get away with some very bad drives over the weekend - you can't deny that))

> > > Molinari was also leaking a lot of oil (drives and approaches) well before he got to 12 and IMO was fortunate to be in the lead.

> > > As Nicklaus said, from the 12th tee on Tiger hit every shot on point (i.e. once he smelled blood and saw an opportunity)

> > > I never loved old Tiger. Too closed off and too arrogant. He seems to have come full circle after his "issues" and is much more enjoyable

> > > I am one of the doubters that thought 18 was long gone. But after yesterday you have to think that certain majors (The Masters every year, certain Open venues where he can lean heavily on his iron game and places like Pebble for the US Open) will perhaps help him get to the mythical number

> > > I still don't get where the supposed sub-air was for the final 2 rounds .....

> > >

> >

> > Spot on.

> >

> > FM looked bullet proof on 1st nine with his short game but when Tiger lagged from yonder on #9, it was the first time I felt he had a great shot to win.

>

> That was one of the best putts of Tiger's career. 70 footer to tap-in range on an extremely steep green where you could potentially putt it down the slope into the fairway. To get that ball into easy par range from that distance on those slopes with age 43 nerves? Pretty incredible.

Underrated shot of the round. Insanely tense moment too, watching that thing take forever to reach the hole.

• Like 2

It's impossible to differentiate between the TIGER EFFECT versus the MASTERS EFFECT.

People have historically imploded on the back 9 there. It's kind of its thing.

• Like 3

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

> @NJpatbee said:

> Tiger avoided disasters on Sunday and stayed within himself to win. I feel for Molinari and Koepka as I did for Norman, but Tiger played the smart shot on 12. He also made a spectacular shot on 16 to seal the deal. Bruce had a chance to force a playoff on 18 and missed but I suspect that Tiger would not have layed up on his approach on 18 If Bruce had made the putt. A great win for Tiger against a talented field and quite a personal achievement . Tiger had fallen on my villain list in 2008 but his personal and professional come back has made me a fan again.

I call him Bruce too. He looks like a Bruce.

• Like 1

> @sekrah said:

> Am I alone in thinking that Jack Nicklaus bone fishing in the Bahamas while the Masters is going on is very umm.. salty? He was just there on Thursday for the honorary tees and he left? He can fish 360 days out of the year for crying out loud.

>

> Looks like he's reached the DGAF stage of his life. It's disappointing to see.

Yes, you are alone.

> @legitimategolf said:

> > @redfirebird08 said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > @cardoustie said:

> > > > What an event!

> > > > Love that Jack was bonefishing - but he likely watched it all. He did say Tiger drove it great **all** day. Likely Johnny Miller was with him.

> > > > Tiger getting that massive break at 11, followed by Brooks and Moli blowing 12 completely flipped the event on its head. I can't believe both those guys did that, it the most talked about safe play in major golf (go over the bunker to the green's middle)

> > > > ((Tiger did get away with some very bad drives over the weekend - you can't deny that))

> > > > Molinari was also leaking a lot of oil (drives and approaches) well before he got to 12 and IMO was fortunate to be in the lead.

> > > > As Nicklaus said, from the 12th tee on Tiger hit every shot on point (i.e. once he smelled blood and saw an opportunity)

> > > > I never loved old Tiger. Too closed off and too arrogant. He seems to have come full circle after his "issues" and is much more enjoyable

> > > > I am one of the doubters that thought 18 was long gone. But after yesterday you have to think that certain majors (The Masters every year, certain Open venues where he can lean heavily on his iron game and places like Pebble for the US Open) will perhaps help him get to the mythical number

> > > > I still don't get where the supposed sub-air was for the final 2 rounds .....

> > > >

> > >

> > > Spot on.

> > >

> > > FM looked bullet proof on 1st nine with his short game but when Tiger lagged from yonder on #9, it was the first time I felt he had a great shot to win.

> >

> > That was one of the best putts of Tiger's career. 70 footer to tap-in range on an extremely steep green where you could potentially putt it down the slope into the fairway. To get that ball into easy par range from that distance on those slopes with age 43 nerves? Pretty incredible.

>

> Underrated shot of the round. Insanely tense moment too, watching that thing take forever to reach the hole.

Golf gods were giving Tiger little nudges of help yesterday. The putt at 9 could have stopped 20 feet short. The drive at 11 could have been in jail. The tee shots at 12 by Molinari/Koepka/Finau could have found dry land. Tiger’s tee shot at 16 could have stayed on the ridge instead of going down the slope to easy birdie range.

> @Ferguson said:

> Post win interview with Tiger:

>

> Tiger: "I was one of the first to work out and go to the gym. It was just me and Vijay lifting. Now everyone works out, even Phil goes to the gym, even Phil." Tiger laughed to himself.

>

:D

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

> @cardoustie said:

> Shame we didn't see more DJ based on his world ranking. He had two bad drives, the first on 3 blocking a driver (lead to his lone bogey) and then 7 but otherwise a pretty stellar ball striking day

> Missed birds for DJ>

> ... #1 from 17 feet, #2 from 8 feet, #4 from 30 feet, #5 from 26 feet, #6 from 11 feet, #9 from 22 feet

> ... #10 from 24 feet, #11 from 54 feet, #12 from 14 feet, #14 from 16 feet and #18 from 17 feet (shot in from fwy bunker)

> CBS has done this in the the past where they show favorite players and past winners (we saw Bubba and Spieth and Fowler and Simpson and Kuchar and Cantlay and Poulter and Phil) and then someone makes a run and we don't see any of it

> FWIW, I LOVE THE TRACK FEATURE ON MASTERS.COM

That new feature was slick - went back and watched some shots from random players last night.

• Like 1

I thought it was particularly impressive that Tiger isn't the one that faded on the back nine. Deep down I don't think many of us would have been shocked if it had been Tiger who faded away late on the back nine. Yet it wasn't Tiger, it was the young bucks that couldn't handle the heat.

> @cardoustie said:

> Second best Masters I have seen after 1986. Eerily similar. The greatest surges and all other top ranked contenders fall away. A little more exciting with Nicklaus going -7 on last 10 holes

> Sounds like the announcers were saying 1986 was first, 1975 was second and 2019 rounded out the top 3

> I was 8 in 1975 and wasn't a golfer for 5 more years

> One last comment, #7 and #16 seem to be the easiest Sunday holes with the pins there collecting shots

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @Ferguson said:

> > @NJpatbee said:

> > Tiger avoided disasters on Sunday and stayed within himself to win. I feel for Molinari and Koepka as I did for Norman, but Tiger played the smart shot on 12. He also made a spectacular shot on 16 to seal the deal. Bruce had a chance to force a playoff on 18 and missed but I suspect that Tiger would not have layed up on his approach on 18 If Bruce had made the putt. A great win for Tiger against a talented field and quite a personal achievement . Tiger had fallen on my villain list in 2008 but his personal and professional come back has made me a fan again.

>

> I call him Bruce too. He looks like a Bruce.

Shouldn't have read this with the terrible lunch I'm having at my desk in my mouth - well, except for the fact there is now less of it I feel compelled to swallow.

> @Ferguson said:

> > @NJpatbee said:

> > Tiger avoided disasters on Sunday and stayed within himself to win. I feel for Molinari and Koepka as I did for Norman, but Tiger played the smart shot on 12. He also made a spectacular shot on 16 to seal the deal. Bruce had a chance to force a playoff on 18 and missed but I suspect that Tiger would not have layed up on his approach on 18 If Bruce had made the putt. A great win for Tiger against a talented field and quite a personal achievement . Tiger had fallen on my villain list in 2008 but his personal and professional come back has made me a fan again.

>

> I call him Bruce too. He looks like a Bruce.

Verne Lundquist agrees

> @bscinstnct said:

> > @Potatohead said:

> > > @"Cool Runnings" said:

> > > I can see that point of view as well it’s a little like Danny Willett winning off the back of Jordan Spieth’s shots in the water than many people talk about. But don’t forget Tiger still had to close it out with all the other possible contenders.

> > >

> > > > @pmadden86 said:

> > > > Anyone else out there think Tiger backed into this one slightly? Starts final round 2 back, shoots 70 in easyish conditions (for a Masters Sunday).

> > > > It took several people to implode all at once for Tiger to scrape it by 1!

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Willet shot 67 that day. He didn't back into anything.

>

>

One thing that I love about the Masters is that no matter how many times people trash Willett for basically being a one and done type of guy, or undeserving Major winner, or whatever...at the end of the day, he gets to don a Green Jacket and sip (probably very expensive) wine at Augusta with his wife and the rest of the planet does not.

That's pretty cool in my book.

• Like 3

Congrats, Tiger! There was a lot of fantastic golf played the last two rounds out there by a lot of guys in the mix, and he outlasted them all. Hats off to Viktor Hovland too, the low-am of the tournament at -3. The guy's a stud, and will be exciting to watch him on Tour soon.

I hope this is the last time we ever see that ugly Nike khaki scripting pants with window pane pattern polo that Finau and Day wore though. Looked terrible. Up there with the '99 Ryder Cup polo for ugliest design ever.

0n8vzvpzyhv8.png

> @Ferguson said:

> Post win interview with Tiger:

>

> Tiger: "I was one of the first to work out and go to the gym. It was just me and Vijay lifting. Now everyone works out, even Phil goes to the gym, even Phil." Tiger laughed to himself.

>

You know he's all the way back when he's taking shots at Phil. lol

• Like 1

> @Potatohead said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @NJpatbee said:

> > > Tiger avoided disasters on Sunday and stayed within himself to win. I feel for Molinari and Koepka as I did for Norman, but Tiger played the smart shot on 12. He also made a spectacular shot on 16 to seal the deal. Bruce had a chance to force a playoff on 18 and missed but I suspect that Tiger would not have layed up on his approach on 18 If Bruce had made the putt. A great win for Tiger against a talented field and quite a personal achievement . Tiger had fallen on my villain list in 2008 but his personal and professional come back has made me a fan again.

> >

> > I call him Bruce too. He looks like a Bruce.

>

> Verne Lundquist agrees

And "Dustin Thomas" is great ball striker.

He's going to get tapped on the shoulder soon. "Verne, please don't come back."

> @Ferguson said:

> > @Potatohead said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @NJpatbee said:

> > > > Tiger avoided disasters on Sunday and stayed within himself to win. I feel for Molinari and Koepka as I did for Norman, but Tiger played the smart shot on 12. He also made a spectacular shot on 16 to seal the deal. Bruce had a chance to force a playoff on 18 and missed but I suspect that Tiger would not have layed up on his approach on 18 If Bruce had made the putt. A great win for Tiger against a talented field and quite a personal achievement . Tiger had fallen on my villain list in 2008 but his personal and professional come back has made me a fan again.

> > >

> > > I call him Bruce too. He looks like a Bruce.

> >

> > Verne Lundquist agrees

>

> And "Dustin Thomas" is great ball striker. He's going to get tapped on the shoulder soon.

>

I would say right now is the perfect retirement for Lundquist. He was there for Jack in 86. He was there for Tiger's chip in 2005...and he's there to see Tiger's miracle comeback completed for his first green jacket since 2005. That's a great way to go out, especially since Tiger pulled off another amazing shot for Lundquist at the 16th hole.